Pokémon Pheromosa - The Ultra-est Beast

Professor Palutena

The Queen
XPdZXU.png

Type: Bug/Fighting
Ability: Beast Boost
Stats: 71 HP / 137 Atk / 37 Def / 137 Sp. Atk / 37 Sp. Def / 151 Spe

Notable Moves: High Jump Kick, U-Turn, Bug Buzz, Ice Beam, Focus Blast, Poison Jab, Lunge, Rapid Spin, Hidden Power Electric [Ground]

Better make this thread before the ban!

So this gal is by far the best new non-box art Pokemon introduced in Gen 7. Phermosa boasts an incredibly small movepool and the most lopsided stats since Deoxys. Yet it still manages to wreck absolute havoc on the tier.

The Only Set @ Life Orb / Choice Scarf
Naive/Naughty/Rash Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe OR 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- High Jump Kick / Focus Blast (if you're worried about Skarm/Celesteela as it 2HKOs)
- U-Turn
- Ice Beam
- Poison Jab/Lunge/Rapid Spin/Hidden Power

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I haven't actually caught it in game, but on paper it definitely seems like it will be quick to get a ban. It definitely reminded me of Deoxys the second I seen its stats. Its main weakness will be priority users or fast scarf users. While this thread is for OU, I can also forsee it being viable in VGC especially when paired with a Pokemon that has Quick Guard. It also has Quick Guard itself so your other Pokemon can take care of a priority user.

Professor Palutena

The Queen
While this thread is for OU, I can also forsee it being viable in VGC especially when paired with a Pokemon that has Quick Guard. It also has Quick Guard itself so your other Pokemon can take care of a priority user.
Alternatively, you can pair it with Tapu Lele who is legal in VGC as well, and use the Psychic Terrain to act as a psuedo-Quick Guard without spending a turn defending.

Professor Palutena

The Queen
Bumping this gal.

Contrary to everyone's opinions three months ago, Pheromosa still hasn't been banned, and likely won't at this rate. Funny how the metagame shifts and adapts.

However, the biggest reason why I'm bumping this is that we've discovered some new sets that make Pheromosa much more threatening than she already was.

First is the Quiver Dance set, previously dismissed as a novelty. The aim is to turn her into a snowball courtest of Beast Boost, which gives her +1 special attack after a kill. She becomes nearly impossible to revenge kill after a Quiver Dance outside of weather sweepers, and nothing outspeeds at +2. To help get the boosts, Focus Sash has been used to survive a hit, which is helpful. Some are also using Fightinium Z, which turns Focus Blast into a 190BP 100% accuracy move, which can nearly-guarantee a KO on non resists at +1.

Related, and my personal favorite set, is the Specs set. With a moveset of Bug Buzz, Focus Blast, Ice Beam and either Hidden Power or U-Turn, Pheromosa becomes incredibly difficult to stomach hits from. Very few things can take on a Specs Pheromosa as she hits incredibly hard, and if she can get the Beast Boost for Special Attack, it can often win games on its own.

What are your thoughts on Pheromosa? Have they changed since November?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
It's a very good Pokemon to use as a late game sweeper. It's its checks and counters that are hard to clear for her in order to do her job. Such as Toxapax.