Writing [PG/PG-13] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Conquerors of Land/Conquerors of Sea

Snorchu

Seven days...
<This is my first fanfic. No harsh criticisms, 'kay?>

Chapter 1 is currently a work in progress.

PMD__Conquerors_of_Land___CH_1_by_pikalax1.png

This story takes place on a large island inhabited only by Pokemon. For a long time, the land had been at peace. Sure, there had been a few periods of unrest, what with the giant meteor and Temporal Tower's near destruction. But that was nothing compared to what lies ahead. For this occurrence is not the doing of nature or of Pokemon. It is an artificial menace sent by a heartless villain from far away...

CHAPTER 1: Washed Up
Night has fallen. A full moon illuminated the hazy sky.

Where the sea meets the land, a marvelous exchange occurs. The sea constantly erodes at the hillside, making the slopes steeper and the canyons wider. In exchange, the ocean gives up some of its most valuable treasures. In this exchange, the sea dwellers gain indispensible living space. Those who live on land collect the valuables left on the shore and use it to beautify their own existence.

And the most valuable of treasures is a friend.

At night, the beach is inhabited by Krabby. They come out at sunset to blow their Bubbles, creating a dazzling scene that captivates the imaginations of many. When the darkness sets in, they hang about, enjoying life in the open, free from predation.

"Hey, Hank, come look at this!"
"What do you suppose it is?"
"Hell if I know, but it sure ain't from around here."
"True that. I've never seen such precise design."
"Hey, call me crazy, but I think there's someone inside."
"Well, how about that! How'd they get in, I wonder?"
"I don't know, but look at all these switches and buttons on the base. One of these is bound to do something."

"Well, don't just stand there, press one!"
"Alright, here goes."
*click*

The glass casing vanished into thin air. What was inside collapsed onto the sandy beach, unconscious but still breathing. The two Krabby stared at the body for hours, not sure what to do. What can they do with a body they found washed up on the beach?

A bright light appeared over the horizon. Dawn has been coming earlier each day for the last six months, leaving less time for the Krabby to wander about. As the sun climbed higher, the Krabby scrambled under rocks and into crevices, for when the sun rises, so do the Staraptors, hungry from the night.

---

Michael opened his eyes. He had been out cold for several days and was particularly famished. On top of that, he was disoriented and confused.

"Oof..." he groaned as he struggled to get up. "Where am I?"

Michael rose into an upright position, tried to find his feet, failed, and promply plopped back down onto the sandy shore. He tried again to stand up, but he was just too tired and hungry to gain his balance. He finally collapsed on his belly and blacked out again.

"Hey, you! You've got some nerve coming here."
(Who?)
"This is our base, so you'd better but out of here."
"But the shiny..."
(A girl's voice...?)
"Listen, kid, this treasure is ours. Why? Because we said so. Chaw-haw-haw!"
"Yeah, so scram or face the consequences. Heh-heh-heh!"
"Whoa-hoa-hoa!"
(Those guys sound quite mean. How could they threaten someone so young and innocent?)
"Still not leaving? Can't say I didn't warn you. Gentlemen, let's teach her a lesson she'll never forget! Chaw-haw!"
"Ready when you are, Boss."
(They're going to attack?!)
(Wait! I want to hear more! ... Can't... Drifting off...)

---

All of nature exists in a cyclic fashion. Day and night come and go on a regular basis. The seasons change, bringing periods of warmth and of cold. Days lengthen and shorten on the same schedule. Plants flower, ripen, and drop their leaves around the same time each year. Even the stars in the sky seem to line up with the seasons.

And so everyone, human and Pokemon alike, celebrate the seasons. Humans have very elaborate festivals to celebrate the end of the harvest season and the start of the growing season. The ancient Mayans enjoyed great festivities at the Solstice.

Interestingly enough, the Pokemon of the South Island Club have similar traditions. Every year, when the day is at its longest, the Club holds its annual picnic where they share stories, eat delicious foods and, on occasion, initiate new members.

Michelle was more than happy to join the Club for her first ever Solstice Picnic. She had always dreamed of working for the prestigious President Gallade.

"Hear, HEAR!" An unnecessarily loud blue Pokemon took the floor. His voice shook the entire beach and roared through the nearby market. "I'd like to propose a TOAST! To Gallade, the GREATest President one can HOPE to have!"

"Oh, please quiet down, Exploud. Your voice is ridiculously loud!" But barely anyone heard this tiny pink Pokemon's plea. Their ears were still ringing from Exploud's speech.

"Who can comPARE to his TRIUMPHS? To his GLORY? SURELY there is NONE like our PRESIDENT! For he is-"

But he never finished his sentence, for the tiny pink Pokemon started to shriek. It was an ungodly loud noise, the likes of which no human has ever experienced. It pierced through the calm of the mountains, causing avalanches and landslides in the northern regions.

After only thirty seconds, the shrieking Whismur calmed down. A dead hush fell over the beach, save the plopping of the falling birds who became disoriented by the Supersonic screeching.

Finally, Whismur broke the silence with a simple "Thank you."

"Sweet Arceus, Whismur." An annoyed Sentret jumped onto the table. "Can't you save your screams for after the meal?"

Three brown heads popped out of the ground near Whismur. They glared at him the way only a three-headed Pokemon can.

"You're louder than Exploud," they barked, "if that is even possible! We could even hear you from underground!"

"Seriously, man." Chinchou lowered his joint in utter disgust. His speech was badly slurred yet still barely intelligible. "You need to chill so we can get groovy."

Another brown head emerged on the other side of the table. Like Dugtrio, this Pokemon was brimming with anger.

"Thanks to you, I lost track of Pachirisu! Who knows where she could have gone?"

"Um..." A small red chick sitting on the other side of the table turned her head towards Diglett. "If it's okay with you, I'd like to try and find her."

"Oh, no, it's quite alright, Michelle," Digglett replied somewhat cheerfully. He had a strong hint of rage for Whismur. "I'll find her myself. After all, it is my assigned duty."

"No, I insist. It's bound to be more fun than chatting it up with Slowpoke over here."

The dopey pink Pokemon did not budge. Then again, he rarely does. No one really knows if he's even alive.

"Please?" Michelle's eyes and feathers softened, revealing that special feminine charm. Not even Diglett can resist this maneuver.

Diglett blushed slightly. "Alright, Michelle. You go have fu-"

"HOLD IT!"

A Wingull picked himself up from the ground and dusted himself off. He dutifully flew over to where Diglett had burrowed.

"I'm afraid you can't just hand off your job to a non-member. Watching Pachirisu is your responsibility and yours alone!"

"If I may contribute, Sir Wingull?"

All heads turned to the head of the table, where a noble-looking Gallade sat. He wore a red-and-white striped scarf around his neck and a black headband above his eyes. The blades on his arms glistened in the sunlight.

"Gah!" Wingull nearly fell back to the ground. "What is it, Mr. President?"

Gallade lowered his head slightly. "I think that we should approve of Miss Michelle's request."

Michelle could not believe what she was hearing. Gallade, the most loved and highest-ranked member of the Club was swayed towards her will? It can't be her feminine charm... can it?

Gallade continued: "Consider this your initiation rite. Bring Pachirisu back safely, and we will consider you a full-time member of the Club."

Michelle could not be happier. "Gallade, sir," she beamed, "you have my word. I will find Pachirisu... if it costs me my life!"

Gallade chortled. "My dear Miss Michelle, you needn't go to such lengths. Pachirisu rarely wanders far, especially during the Solstice party. You should have no problem finding her and bringing her back."

Michelle nodded and started up the beach. She knew that Pachirisu wasn't too hard to find, as she's found her before, often when least expected. Just three weeks ago, Michelle woke up in her bed and found herself staring into the face of an over-enthusiastic Pachirisu. Two months earlier, Michelle was out stocking up on goods when she noticed Pachirisu examining a hole in the ground. Between the two of them, the two Pokemon concluded that this hole was the entrance to the Kecleon Brothers' secret warehouse.

---

Mudkip. The Mud Fish Pokemon. Mudkip uses the sensitive radar receptor on its head fin to determine what's going on around it. In a pinch, it can brandish enough power to crush rocks. One such Mudkip is currently in no fit state to do either.

---

CHAPTER 2: I'm a Pokemon?

Chapter text coming soon.

Looks good, but why so much dialogue for chapter one? It should be a preface (1st section), followed by chapter one (2nd part when speech came in), right?

Joeypals!! said:
Looks good, but why so much dialogue for chapter one? It should be a preface (1st section), followed by chapter one (2nd part when speech came in), right?

The preface would reveal too much of the plot, as it happens when the main character is still human. Besides, I like dialog.

Back