Pokémon Persian-A

Celever

Wheeeee~
053-a.png

Type: Dark
Abilities: Fur Coat, Technician, Rattled
Stats: 65 HP / 60 Attack / 60 Defense / 75 Special Attack / 65 Special Defense / 115 Speed

Notable Moves: Parting Shot, Foul Play, Taunt, Fake Out, Switcheroo, Night Slash, Toxic, Play Rough

Besides Speed, this thing hasn't got a single stat over 75. In other words, it looks absolutely abysmal. But, believe it or not, it actually has an excellent niche, and this is because of one new move: Parting Shot. Or, more specifically, Parting Shot Z. This move combines the standard offense-nerfing stat decreases of the vanilla Parting Shot with the absolute healing of the switch-in, similar to the move Healing Wish -- just without the sacrifice. The only Pokémon who actually learn Parting Shot are Pangoro, Persian-A and Smeargle, and Persian-A is certainly better than the violent panda bear. :p

There's also been talk of using Persian-A as a shut down for Charizard-Mega, by using a Choice Scarf set and Switcheroo. It would have utility besides, but Persian-A's damage output is always going to be quite low with these stats. Fur Coat is an excellent ability because it gives it a liiiittle bit of longevity, particularly against priority attacks, which have low base power, allowing it to consistently fulfil its role of using Parting Shot to get out of danger and support set up sweepers in the process.

STAB Foul Play combined with its super high speed stat means that it's a pretty reliable revenge killer for weakened physical sweepers, and the Choice Scarf can emphasise this role. Furthermore, Fur Coat can allow it to switch into physical attackers which might be setting up with lower risk than other revenge killer, if they opt for an attack instead. This gives it a definite niche in the metagame, and is a Pokémon I'm personally excited to see used. I'm not sure if it'll stay OU or if it'll drop down into UU, but I think it's one of the most promising utility options in the metagame right now.

How have you guys been using Persian-A? Do you think it has a future in OU?

PG24

<Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
Advanced Member
The only Pokémon who actually learn Parting Shot are Pangoro, Persian-A and Smeargle

You forgot Silvally, who is getting niche usage along with Persian-A thanks to the combination of Parting Shot + STAB Explosion.

PG24

<Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
Advanced Member
From playing against it, I'd say that Persian is a lot more consistent thanks to its Speed. If we're looking at factors outside of just Parting Shot, Silvally is more varied which prevents it from having a direct answer. With Explosion, you have two great moves that can net you momentum, three if you want to throw in U-Turn for screwing over M-Sableye.

I'd say that Persian runs the Z-Parting Shot set better, while Silvally can become more offensive with a Choice Band set to maxamize the power of Explosion. It all comes down to team needs, as Persian is better on HO while Silvally fits well on bulky offense.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I can't picture Persian-A doing that well honestly. Foul Play is the only way it can do direct damage, but its defenses are nothing to write home about. I can't justify the wasting of a Z-Move to fully heal one Pokemon because you are likely already behind and you could've used it to KO a threat of the opponents rather than heal one of your own Pokemon.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
But you overlook the parting shot move to lower your opponent's offensive stats, which is what makes it viable along with its speed. The idea is to let a sweeper a great chanse to set up.

Professor Palutena

The Queen
Having tried it, I feel like the scarf set is actually better than Z-move. With how many Toxapex and Marowak are on the ladder, the Switcheroo royally messes with them. You also outspeed +1 Charizard X and OHKO with Foul Play.

The full heal is awesome though for something like Mega Gyarados or your own Mega Charizard. Offense has always loved Healing Wish and Z-Parting Shot is literally a better Healing Wish.