• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Penguins, Pokemon, and PokéPuffs (Post- ULP)

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
Pokemon: 20
4x Piplup ULP
3x Prinplup ULP
4x Empoleon ULP
3x Tapu Lele GX
2x Zorua SHL
2x Zoroark GX SHL
1x Zoroark BKT
1x Alolan Vulpix GRI

Trainers: 29
4x Professor Sycamore
2x Cynthia
2x N
3x Captivating PokéPuff
2x Field Blower
4x Ultra Ball
3x Guzma
2x Brigette
3x Rare Candy
2x Wake

Energy: 11
3x Double Colorless Energy
4x Water Energy
4x Counter Energy

Last edited:

Toxic

TCG Player and Old Deck Collector
On paper I'm not sold on Empoleon Break. Have you proxy tested it yet? Two card slots for +10hp just doesn't seem worth it and the attack isn't anything to write home about.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Not exactly how I'd build the deck, but whatever. Empoleon Break's attack is definitely worse than regular Empoleon, since the only time it would be doing more damage is when your bench isn't full, but your opponents' is, which shouldn't ever be the case. I would probably not play the Zoroark, and play an Oranguru, Marshadow, and Frost Rotom, and probably 4 Counter Energy. I think the only thing holding this deck back is that it doesn't have some variant of Dusknoir. I mean, once the promo Lele is FINALLY released, this deck could actually mean something, since it does hit high numbers for cheap costs, in addition to yielding only a single prize. I also can't agree with Pokepuff, since the strength of the deck would come for punishing your opponent for benching more Pokemon, not letting them have the chance to punish you. And whike yes, it does give you extra information about your opponent's hand, it also takes valuable deck space. Don't let Cynthia fool you, N is still a better card for a couple reasons, mainly disruption. I would just swap the counts on those 2 cards. If you're going to invest space in Aqua Patch, don't just play 2, you either need them or you don't. I personally will be testing 4 Patch, 4 Water Energy, and 4 Counter Energy. And last thing I have to say is play 2 Brigette, maybe even 3. Glaceon slaps this deck across the face, and you can't afford to whiff your setup with Solgaleo running around. I'm thinking of other ways to get around those 2 decks, but until baby Lele is FINALLY released, I got nothing

jessalakasam

Not exactly how I'd build the deck, but whatever. Empoleon Break's attack is definitely worse than regular Empoleon, since the only time it would be doing more damage is when your bench isn't full, but your opponents' is, which shouldn't ever be the case. I would probably not play the Zoroark, and play an Oranguru, Marshadow, and Frost Rotom, and probably 4 Counter Energy. I think the only thing holding this deck back is that it doesn't have some variant of Dusknoir. I mean, once the promo Lele is FINALLY released, this deck could actually mean something, since it does hit high numbers for cheap costs, in addition to yielding only a single prize. I also can't agree with Pokepuff, since the strength of the deck would come for punishing your opponent for benching more Pokemon, not letting them have the chance to punish you. And whike yes, it does give you extra information about your opponent's hand, it also takes valuable deck space. Don't let Cynthia fool you, N is still a better card for a couple reasons, mainly disruption. I would just swap the counts on those 2 cards. If you're going to invest space in Aqua Patch, don't just play 2, you either need them or you don't. I personally will be testing 4 Patch, 4 Water Energy, and 4 Counter Energy. And last thing I have to say is play 2 Brigette, maybe even 3. Glaceon slaps this deck across the face, and you can't afford to whiff your setup with Solgaleo running around. I'm thinking of other ways to get around those 2 decks, but until baby Lele is FINALLY released, I got nothing
I completely disagree with you on Cynthia, Usually I'm more focused on drawing myself than disrupting. If I had 2 cards and my opponent had 20 cards in hand, both with one prize I'd definitely use Cynthia to draw what I need to take that prize. I also, don't understand your point about pokepuff

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
9 water energys and 4 patches should be sufficient for steaming attacks counter energy should not be needed unless you want to run something that will cover for empoleon weakness and even then it's pretty meh. One thing however is it is colorless when not in effect so it will chargw to some extent

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Seconding jess here about Pokepuff. The opponent can choose not to bench their Pokemon to spite you. But in return, they're spiting themselves by slowing their strategies. Pokepuff is here to give Total Command that extra power straight away, plus if your opponent is hiding a Lele in their hand, you can simply drop it into the bench and not have Wonder Tag activate.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I realize now that I wasn't very clear on my point about Pokepuff. What I basically meant was to play mind games with your opponent, so they feel like benching Pokemon to continue their setup is going to punish them, in which case it will. And won't Wonder Tag still activate if your opponent wants it to? I thought that was the ruling they did with Shaymin, if I'm not mistaken. I still don't like Pokepuff, but play whatever works best in testing, I suppose

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
I realize now that I wasn't very clear on my point about Pokepuff. What I basically meant was to play mind games with your opponent, so they feel like benching Pokemon to continue their setup is going to punish them, in which case it will. And won't Wonder Tag still activate if your opponent wants it to? I thought that was the ruling they did with Shaymin, if I'm not mistaken. I still don't like Pokepuff, but play whatever works best in testing, I suppose
Wonder Tag won't activate if Lele was benched with Poke Puff, as that counts as the Poke Puff user doing the benching. The Lele user has to bench Lele themselves for Wonder Tag to trigger.

Poke Puff was ruled that way when Steam Siege came out to clarify its interaction with Pokemon like Shaymin EX when it was still in Standard:

Q. If I use Captivating Poke Puff and put one of my opponent's Basic Pokemon on the bench that has an Ability (like Shaymin EX's "Setup"), does the opponent get to use that Ability right away? A. No, Captivating Poke Puff does not trigger any coming into play Abilities. (Steam Siege FAQ; Aug 4, 2016 TPCi Rules Team)

Vitiel

Mush. Up!
Just another note on Tapu Lele GX and Poke Puff, Wonder Tag says that it has to be played during the user's turn to activate.

Asmer

Keep the High Tide on the Flipside
Since we're all talking about Poke Puff... is it really necessary? Considering we're in a format (and will most likely stay in said format) where most decks have to reliably fill their benches to get the maximum potential of their strategies, Poke Puff feels like a lackluster use of three spots. Granted, the ideology of its inclusion is quite brilliant when it comes to its synergy with Empoleon, but it feels unnecessary at this time. Plus, the space would give you access to more numbers of N/Cynthia/Tech/etc., which would serve this deck well.

Still, I like the concept so far. It just needs a bit of work.

-Asmer

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Since we're all talking about Poke Puff... is it really necessary? Considering we're in a format (and will most likely stay in said format) where most decks have to reliably fill their benches to get the maximum potential of their strategies, Poke Puff feels like a lackluster use of three spots. Granted, the ideology of its inclusion is quite brilliant when it comes to its synergy with Empoleon, but it feels unnecessary at this time. Plus, the space would give you access to more numbers of N/Cynthia/Tech/etc., which would serve this deck well.

Still, I like the concept so far. It just needs a bit of work.

-Asmer
Oh my god, you're still alive.
Oh, and if that IS Pokepuff's ruling, it may be better than expected. But still, it seems like a waste of 3 spaces, since there may be something you don't want to bench, or nothing to bench at all. If you're really set on playing it, I suggest stick to 2, since 1 is too little to rely on, and 3 seems like you rely on it too much, since you could draw into it rather than a supporter, and need your opponent to have X amount of basics in their hand to do Y damage.

Asmer

Keep the High Tide on the Flipside
Hehe yeah, I'm still kicking. I'll be much more active again soon, so I hope ya'll don't mind. ^^

Back on topic, after delving in to the idea more, I realized that Prinplup doesn't do anything truly significant. Is there a reason you're running 3 over something like 2 and 4 Rare Candy? Wouldn't going straight in to Empoleon be a better idea? I also noticed a lack of Choice Band, which does bother me. Even as a 2-of, it allows you to OHKO Gardevoir GX off of 10 Benched Pokemon, which is something you simply could not do otherwise. It also makes killing things like Tapu Lele GX much easier, only requiring 7 benched Pokemon for an OHKO (which is reasonable). I do believe these small changes would not only bring more consistency, but would make the overall game plan much easier to manage.

-Asmer

jessalakasam

Hehe yeah, I'm still kicking. I'll be much more active again soon, so I hope ya'll don't mind. ^^

Back on topic, after delving in to the idea more, I realized that Prinplup doesn't do anything truly significant. Is there a reason you're running 3 over something like 2 and 4 Rare Candy? Wouldn't going straight in to Empoleon be a better idea? I also noticed a lack of Choice Band, which does bother me. Even as a 2-of, it allows you to OHKO Gardevoir GX off of 10 Benched Pokemon, which is something you simply could not do otherwise. It also makes killing things like Tapu Lele GX much easier, only requiring 7 benched Pokemon for an OHKO (which is reasonable). I do believe these small changes would not only bring more consistency, but would make the overall game plan much easier to manage.

-Asmer
I always use 3-3 split. It's much harder to be able to use candy, as you need both Empoleon and the Candy, so I run 3-3. Also I can't believe I forgot Band XD