• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard PCL-On: Hoopa/Gengar

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
This is another neat rogue deck I've made:

Pokémon – 17

4 Hoopa
4 Gastly
2 Haunter
4 Gengar
1 Absol
2 Shaymin-EX

Trainer Cards – 34

3 Professor Sycamore
3 N
1 Olympia
1 Hex Maniac
1 Teammates
1 Lysandre
1 Delinquent

4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
3 Trainers' Mail
3 Max Elixir
3 Rare Candy
1 Super Rod
3 Fighting Fury Belt

2 Faded Town

Energy - 10

9 Psychic Energy

Strategy:

Start out with Hoopa to spread out damage to potential Pokemon to Knock Out with Gengar's Creep Show move, with Fighting Fury Belt to help it take some hits. Once Hoopa is knocked out, use Teammates for retrieving resources to execute the Knockout.

Despite loosing Dimension Valley, Max Elixir and a reasonable amount of energy can work in its place with low attack costs here. Additionally, Absol can move damage around, and Faded Town can add some more damage as well.

This deck can work great against the many EX Decks coming back after rotation... But Rough Seas and Psychic Resistant decks can be problematic. I don't know how well it it well really work in the future, but it does win me games.

Any feedback is appreciated!

EDIT: Adjusted the deck a little to include a Hex Maniac and an Olympia

Last edited:
Remember: Hoopa's Hyperspace Punch is not affected by Resistance when attacking opponent's benched Pokémon. So, most likely, you'll be able to spread the damage onto benched Pokémon unless your opponent has Mr. Mime (Bench Barrier) in play.

Why no Ninja Boy?

Do you really need Max Elixir? Given the low energy requirement for Gengar's Creep Show attack, it seems to me that you would have ample time to attach the necessary energy before attacking. As an opponent, I would disregard your Hoopa and realize that the Gengar lines are the real threat. So, I would focus on those Pokémon for KO. In doing so, you could lose Max Elixir'd energy early.

Why no Ninja Boy?

This issue is that the official PTCGO app still has it banned due to bugs, so I can test it. But Ninja Boy sounds awesome to include - and may even reduce the dependency on Max Elixir once I can test it out. Good Idea!

Hi @Lanstar!

I love the idea behind this deck.

In addition to @TuxedoBlack's comments, the glaring omission is the lack of switching cards. As Hoopa is your ideal starter but takes [C][C] to retreat, it'd be beneficial to include at least one Switch or Escape Rope. The cards I'd consider cutting are Ace Trainer, Fighting Fury Belt, Max Elixir and a Psychic Energy.

Have a play around and let us know how it goes.

Back