P!P/Rules Pauper Format

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Format: Pauper Format

You may have remembered this post beforehand, but I decided to update this a little bit with some info regarding the rulings a few League players and I went with.

Rules
  • Only Common & Uncommon cards are allowed. If the card was reprinted in a higher rarity (such as Full-Arts or Gold Cards) they are allowed.
  • If the card was Rare and reprinted in a lower Rarity, it is allowed.
  • The sets used are from Black & White Onward.
  • Lysandre's Trump Card is banned.
Purpose
The purpose of the Pauper Format is to give players who don't have enough money to invest in the game competitively - a chance to play with more balance.

Original Post:

I talk about this jokingly with friends all the time, but sometimes I see how overwhelming big money cards can be to other players and think "Huh, wish there was something they could do about that." So, I wonder - do any of you think a format similar to Magic's pauper would be interesting for Pokemon? I'm not talking as intense as magic of course, just the limitation being Expanded Format allowing only Commons and Uncommons in the deck. It would put a lot more cards to use and people who are on a low budget could easily get into it.

Last edited:

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
That would be immensely fun. I think that rule should apply to trainer cards as well, but that would essentially just limit the use of ace spec cards.

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
For those of you who don't know what a "pauper format" is:
Pauper is a Magic Online format in which all cards used must have been printed at the common rarity in a Magic Onlineset or product. Common promo cards are only legal if the card has been printed at the common rarity in a set or product. Other than that, the usual rules for Constructed decks apply (a minimum deck size of 60 cards in the main deck, an optional 15-card sideboard, and so on). If a common version of a particular card was ever released on Magic Online, any versions of that card printed at other rarities are also legal in this format.

khalid

Aspiring Trainer
I'm very interested in this, and was thinking of ways to get those in my area without the money to burn to enjoy tournaments without getting utterly destroyed by the meta.

Instead of limiting it to commons/uncommons, my friends and I were considering having a simple budget limit of around 40 USD (or maybe less?) on the entire deck, but fluctuating prices and source for the prices are two issues.

TokenDuelist

I'm very interested in this, and was thinking of ways to get those in my area without the money to burn to enjoy tournaments without getting utterly destroyed by the meta.

Instead of limiting it to commons/uncommons, my friends and I were considering having a simple budget limit of around 40 USD (or maybe less?) on the entire deck, but fluctuating prices and source for the prices are two issues.

The purpose is more-so to exclude things like EX Pokemon.

Thinking about it more clearly, a Common/Uncommon cap might not make too much sense considering the cards that often end up in the rare slot were uncommons beforehand.

So I guess just Rare and Under. Not Rare Holo though.

crowfeather4

R.I.P. Night March
I really want a sort of format like this. It will make it more diverse, and help players that don't have a lot of money get into the format. Right now the top decks are Yveltal, VirGen, MegaMan variants, Seismitoad, and Landorus variants. All these decks involve cards that cost a LOT. Seismitoad is 10 to 15 dollars so that already a whole bunch of money. In this format there will be so many different types of decks, allowing for more skill needed than percentage based match-ups. I really hope this happens and think it will bring in more players.

TokenDuelist

Good to see interest in it!

Fun TCG rules are always really interesting and I feel like I should talk with a few friends about trying to test it out.

Definitely gonna try out a Normal Rare and Under format.