Pokemon Parents and Pokemon?

Magnezone_Elf

Sexy as ever!!!
Hi, I'm just obsessed with Pokémon and my parents hate it. What can I do to change this and do YOU have this problem?

RE: are u a#1 Fan like me?

If you're still a kid, don't worry about. If you're over 20 and living with your parents and have nothing going on, maybe they're on to something.

Let me get into a discussion with them. They'll be so repulsed by my logical arguments that they'll let you play the game... I've done this before... it actually works :p

I'd guess that your family is very religious? The only people I have seen who hate pokemon are deeply religious people. Some... not all religious people. Odd trend...

Show them the logical benefits of the game. Introduce them to the community online. Show them the benefit you are gaining. Pokemon taught me how to read (Pokemon Yellow for GBC <3), it let me meet some of my best friends, and it has supplied an outlet for my competitive nature. I would not be the same person if I didn't get to play Pokemon. I would be an illiterate nihilist stuck in his basement trying to hack into the government computers. Now, I'm a semi-literate realist stuck in his bedroom trying to hack into things that don't matter. HUGE DIFFERENCE :D

Kidding aside, just show them the benefits and they'll lighten up to it. The spending may be a point of contention, so when you're able to, get a job... but that's down the line. Be stingy with your money and only spend when you really want a product. Show that you are willing to work with your parents because you love the game that much. Just as long as you can prove that you aren't wasting your time with the game, you'll eventually convince them.

Well, so far I'm doing that. So ill keep at it. PS. My family isn't super religious or anything but we are religious.

You appear to be an outlier then. Trends will be trends, but I suppose there are always exceptions :p

I think hatred due to religious reasons is the minority, actually. The extremes will be quick to call Pokemon evil or something like that, (Southern Baptists prominently) but culture is what really what drives things. Pokemon will always sound like a kids game to parents. No matter how well you prove against it, no matter what your age, most parents won't change their minds about what aged kids are supposed to play Pokemon. My Parents told me I was too old when I was in second grade, and a lot of kids agreed. (Although Ironically Pokemon and YuGiOh and stuff makes a comeback when you're in college/hs)
My best advice to you would be to live a productive lifestyle. Get good grades, do a sport, etc. etc. If You're doing well in life, Pokemon can't really be put to blame. If you're screwing up somewhere, Pokemon will probably be one of the first things your parents blame and will try to prevent.

Again, thats what i do, i play baseball, soccer, run and do martial arts and get the best test score in my grade mostly.

I go to a Christian private school, and many kids play Pokemon (and some MTG). So far in my life, religious beliefs haven't been a problem as far as Pokemon is concerned. I suggest doing what Zero said, let them know that there is nothing wrong with the game, and give positive arguments for it. let them know the benefits of the game, like friends, occasionally money/scholarships, math, strategy, and so on. It's a strategy game, there is really no reason a kid can't play it if they have the ability to. That's what I did, and my parents let me play competitively (and now my friend's parents let them play as well). That' the problem with many people, they're so stubborn without logical reason to be so.

Sometimes pokemon will come up and my dad will say something like "I can't believe you still play that."
Little does he know that everyone in high school still likes it (at least all of my friends). >:)

He said that neither himself nor his parents are very religious, so it shouldn't become the main theme of this thread. Anyways, many people view Pokemon as childish, and that's a stereotype you can't change. Just don't let it take over your life. Sure you'll be criticized, but it's what you're passionate about, and you should never let anyone change that.

My parents were not very open to it at first,but, I kind of just talked to them about it. I told them the benefits and eventually they just started being more open. They let me play competitively and everything is good. What I'm saying is, slowly ease them into it. Don't spend obsene amounts of money on Pokemon and don't ask them to. As long as you keep good grades and keep being athletic, they should slowly ease into the fact that you enjoy and are not willing to give up Pokemon. Hope I helped :D

My parents are happy that I have a hobby that allows me to learn. (to a certain extent) Try telling your parents that it can improve your math, social skills, make you lifelong friends, get you scholarship money, allow you to travel to new places, learn, and so much more! Show them that it's not "just a child's card game"! Show them that it's a world-wide hobby that improves life skills! SHOW THEM THAT IT'S MORE THAN JUST A GAME!

EDIT: I apologize if this post comes off as weird, I got excited when I was typing it.

Do you constantly hog a family computer to read up on pokemon? Do you zone out and ignore your parents? Do you spend time with your family? Do you have other hobbies that you do in your free time (ie, not baseball, etc)? Do you ever snap back when they tell you to take a break from pokemon? It's not just about proving you like something and it's beneficial, it can also be about your attitude. Also, as long as you are living with your parents you really don't ever have too much of an argument as to why they are blatantly wrong and you should be allowed to do something.

Changed your thread title, make it more clear next time please! :)

MyLittleKeldeo said:
My parents don't really care, they are a little into it themselves.

Ha ha, my mom likes it too.

Now back on your topic Magnezone_Elf:
My dad kinda thinks that Pokemon is for nerds only, and I'm still in the process of trying to at least let him see WHY I like it so much. If this helps (ESPECIALLY if you play the VIDEO GAMES), here's what I'm going to try next:

Have a HUGE battle on BR with 3 people (Exclud'in mah bro >=D), and say awww... We need just ONE more person to have a tag battle. <=l (Of course I'm going to say this when he walks by :p) Then he may insist on joining. Hopefully he likes it! :D

If your TCG exclusive, however, I'm really not sure... OH! Try saying that if you win Worlds that you could take them on a family vacation! They MAY just go for it! (Or at least get to go to Worlds, so that they can go to HAWAII!!!):D

Back