Help Paint Roller usage

Rooie

Aspiring Trainer
XY7_EN_79.png

In google's latest episode (Mallow), he claims that you can only play Paint Roller if there's a stadium in play. Is this true? Unless it has received errata, I highly doubt so, because the text on the card clearly says absolutely nothing about such, but since I've considered including a couple in a fringe deck of mine, I'd like to be 100% sure.

Paint Roller requires a target, which would be any Stadium card in play. Reason for this is because it's considered to be a public zone where both player can check to see if something can complete or not and while Pokemon does have a "do what you can" clause, you have to discard a Stadium card because "you can" discard one if one exist. The +1 card draw is a perk if you can complete the first effect.

Since the target is in the public zone, you have to complete as much of the effect as you can. This is why you can't play Super Rod if you have no targets in the discard pile because it's considered a public zone or play a Lysandre if your opponent has no Benched Pokemon.

The problem I have with that assessment is that the way the card is written, it clearly has two separate effects (which means that as long as you can do at least one, you should be able to play the card):

1. If there is a Stadium card in play, discard it.
2. Draw a card.

If you don't agree, look at this classic:

XY9_EN_98.png

As you can see, Delinquent says that if you do discard a Stadium, stuff happens. Paint Roller does not.

I can see what you mean but I do believe the context is the same. We are dealing with a "if and then" effects. Both Paint Roller and Delinquent require the former to activate the rest of the effect. Paint Roller is saying if you can discard a Stadium card, then draw a card and Delinquent is saying if you discard a Stadium card, then your your opponent discards three cards. The effect is the same though the grammar mechanics are different. This doesn't quite cross the Yu-Gi-Oh ruling line to me.

This may just be a wording thing since Paint Roller is on a older card so Delinquent may be just worded better to avoid confusing but I'm almost sure they didn't intend the card to be a "free" +1 card that could be played for no effect.

Nothing wrong with that but just so I know, for the record, are you asking "can I play Paint Roller to draw one card if there isn't a Stadium card in play"?

And the answer is no.

Paint Roller requires a target, which would be any Stadium card in play. Reason for this is because it's considered to be a public zone where both player can check to see if something can complete or not and while Pokemon does have a "do what you can" clause, you have to discard a Stadium card because "you can" discard one if one exist. The +1 card draw is a perk if you can complete the first effect.

Since the target is in the public zone, you have to complete as much of the effect as you can. This is why you can't play Super Rod if you have no targets in the discard pile because it's considered a public zone or play a Lysandre if your opponent has no Benched Pokemon.

This sums it up.

Back