• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Our Lord Zard (Post Team Up)

Lord Charizard

Aspiring Trainer
Well, it’s time for my namesake take up arms yet again with the release of our newest Charizard!

Haven’t quite gotten everything together, but this is my initial list! Any thoughts or suggestions you feel shiuld get in before testing?

Charizard Deck:

Pokemon:16

4 Charmander
2 Charmeleon
4 Charizard
3 Eevee
2 Flareon-GX
1 Victini Prism Star

Items:20

4 Rare Candy
4 Ultra Ball
3 Fiery Flint
3 Nest Ball
2 Choice Band
2 Energy Recycle System
1 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher

Supporters:9

4 Cynthia
3 Guzma
2 Lillie

Stadiums:1

1 Heat Factory Prism Star

Energy:14

14 Fire Energy

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
I hate Charizard, but will give you advice anyway.
Are you using Flareon GX for Heat Stage, or something else? Is it just a backup attacker? I’m very confused and wondering if you’ll be willing to just play straight Charizard, because the deck is all built into itself. 5 spaces to do anything you want with, that may or may not involve Lele and Acro Bike.

Fafnirchaos

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah you may want to focus on Flareon as your intital attacker, he's faster to get up and gets energies. charmander looks like it needs to be on the bench awaiting its evolution. I liked Charizards ability, but I would only use it as a last resort. However let us know how your testing goes.

Lord Charizard

Aspiring Trainer
Wouldn’t Acro Bike be kind of higher on the risk vs reward scale in this deck? And my Lele build wasn’t much different, just with the 50 HP Charmander and Elm. Flareon helps set up for bigger KO ranges faster, as each Charizard can only do it once/turn, and Eevee sets up very fast with a single energy and a Flint.

Fafnirchaos

Aspiring Trainer
Wouldn’t Acro Bike be kind of higher on the risk vs reward scale in this deck? And my Lele build wasn’t much different, just with the 50 HP Charmander and Elm. Flareon helps set up for bigger KO ranges faster, as each Charizard can only do it once/turn, and Eevee sets up very fast with a single energy and a Flint.

I was thinking that you were thinking that, possibly swap a charmander for an eevee, you always have rescue stretcher, and you won't need anymore then 2 Charaizards on the bench, being that they'll hit so hard that it wouldn't matter. Also if your opponent does take one out, you can punish them with victini.

Lord Charizard

Aspiring Trainer
Depending on how much energy is in the discards, and where the game is. As there isn’t a single way for this deck to power up and swing with Victini with one turn, :(

Either with Flareon or hard attach it’s 2 turns, sadly.

Fafnirchaos

Aspiring Trainer
Depending on how much energy is in the discards, and where the game is. As there isn’t a single way for this deck to power up and swing with Victini with one turn, :(

Either with Flareon or hard attach it’s 2 turns, sadly.

What about sightseer? Fiery flint can get you 3 energies in the discard with one on your Flareon, after that your charging up your charmanders/charizard, and you can thin your deck some more for better draws.

Fafnirchaos

Aspiring Trainer
Maybe even add in more energies, so you can use heat factory to its full extent. If all else fails you can GX your flareon.

Edit: if you have a minimum of 18 energies in your deck you lost both of your charizards you can hit twice with flareon and victini with a minimum of 15 energies in there for 300 damage.

Re-Edit: it's just an idea though

Last edited:

JumpluffTCG

Aspiring Trainer
I think I would trim the Flareon down to a 2-1 or even 1-1. I know that it's your ideal starter but the problem is that it's incentivizing you to play those Fiery Flints that just aren't very playable. It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where you can afford to Ultra Ball AND Fiery Flint off a single hand, for example. Really, I would focus on Flareon being a beefy GX option to have and recycle energies back into your deck, and then focus on the Charizards which will be doing the prize trading.

And the other issue with Fiery Flint is that it's eating at a lot of deck spaces. You have a very VERY thin line of supporters, especially considering you are a stage 2 deck with no Tapu Leles. I would strongly suggest boosting those supporter counts with any combination of Bill's Analysis (great for grabbing Rare Candies), Lillie, or Erikas. From trimming the Flareon line and cutting the Fiery Flints, you should have plenty of spaces for these changes.

The other consideration is adding a couple of Alolan Vulpixes. You don't even need to have a full 2-2 line, perhaps a 2-1 or 3-1 line would do. You're just looking to have something to call an "ideal starter," since you typically don't want Charmanders in the active in danger of being knocked out. Beacon is just a good attack for a deck like this in general too.

I like the way you're going with this list. The only thing is that I'm just concerned about your consistency.

Lord Charizard

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, that was my concern, too. Too used to playing Raticate I guess haha. Going the Vulpix route, or even slimming Flareon, means losing Victini, my locals is very aggressive at keeping people away from recovery cards whenever possible, a card that can hit like a truck and shuffle back my energy will never touch the active spot in time to go off :(

Part of me yells “Jirachi!”, but without Escape Board he’s an easy KO as well...

Missilistico

Aspiring Trainer
I associate myself with Lord and Jumpluff: you should get rid of Fiery Flint and Flareon.
You don't need more energy acceleration than Charizard's himself, especially if it comes at a GX 0 damages attack prize.
First of all, you do need 4 Lillie. Lillie - Nest Ball is a good engine with Rare Candy. Consider adding a couple of Kukui (with Choice Band, you will hit for 180 with zero energies from hand and 230 with a manual energy attachment, and those are nice numbers right now), and even a Tate and Liza, just in case you've been Guzmaed out (not a great fan of it, anyway).
Then add an Oranguru SUM. You can get it with Nest Ball, and it seems you have quite room for it in your bench, and he can help you with Rare Candies.
Consider adding two copy of Shrine of Punishment, so you will be able to break your opponent's stadium, particularly Prism Star stadium.
Finally, if you like to play a spicy GX, why not Salazzle?
Let me know what you think about these tips!

Fafnirchaos

Aspiring Trainer
You see I wasn't gonna comment on this but now you guys are just completely changing his deck, why not he just use Pikachu & Zekrom Gx and not come up with his own ideas. Maybe he wants to use Flareon and Charizard, it's not all about winning and losing.

Lord Charizard

Aspiring Trainer
So what would I put in their place? Removing 6 Pokemon for 1 is insane, I’m not a fan of giving my opponent that many mulligans, :’(

I do like having multiple Lillie though! Hmm...

Lord Charizard

Aspiring Trainer
Also Heat Stage does 30, not 0, :p

As for Salazzle, I like Flareon far more, with Energy Evolution Eevee staying in Standard, it beats out Salazzle in both speed and acceleration, but using Charizard by itself is leaving the Pokemon count too slim, and I’m not to comfortable with it, :/

Missilistico

Aspiring Trainer
If you increase Lillie count to 4 and add Oranguru (maybe even two) and Kukui, you can think about a 1-1 line of Magcargo, it will grab the candies.

JumpluffTCG

Aspiring Trainer
my locals is very aggressive at keeping people away from recovery cards whenever possible
I'm not entirely sure what you mean here? What's a "recovery card" that's not something like Rescue Stretcher and how do you keep an opponent away from those in standard?

a card that can hit like a truck and shuffle back my energy will never touch the active spot in time to go off :(
If you're talking about the 1-1 line of Eevee, don't you have 3 Nest Balls and 4 Ultra Balls? I think Flareon GX is more of a late game Pokemon, so there's a good chance of drawing the pieces out of the prizes by around the time you'd want it to come out too.

Lord Charizard

Aspiring Trainer
Yes, but having too few basics leads to dead starts. And the idea for Flareon was to start with it, not end with it. His job was to put minor “softening up” damage on the board while loading the first Zard cannon without eating counters.

And it’s easy, think about it, if I’m running out of energy and still haven’t taken you out, would you let me keep that Victini long enough for me to use it? A card that can not only start the train running agsin, but also take a potential prize too. :p