Other Uses For Virbank Gym

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer
What are some other uses of Virbank City Gym other than lasers?

One use I've found is with Toxicroak BC. I think Toxicroak is an underrated pokemon and an effective counter to Mewtwo and Deoxys EX. In those times when the game is slow and no one is hitting KOs, poison jab + virbank and put some pressure on an opponent to act.

Another one is Mega Venusaur EX. Crisis vine + muscle band + virbank damage = 170 total. Or you can do without muscle band and set it up for them to be KO'd going into your turn. Also, Venusaur EX has a poison attack similar to Toxicroaks.

Carnivine (DEX) has a built in catcher effect with some poison damage. Can't complain about that.

Gliscor (BC) poisons and prevents them from retreating. Should probably be played with Garbodor to stop Verdant Wind and Rush In. Speaking of Garbodor, you could pair Garbodor with the plasma storm one (biosmog).

I've actually tested some of these in the past with varying degrees of success I think Garbodor is probably the way to go with any of these because Verdant Wind (and slurpuff's abilty) can ruin your day.

RE: Other Uses For Virbank Gym...

With accelegor DEX you are doing 80 damage with poison damage, 100/110 with band/bangle. It's much better then expecting to 3HKO with accelegor's attack damage.

It works well with Beedrill PLS. 60 + poison and confusion with the addition of virbank and muscle band does 110 damage and then forces them to retreat due to confusion.

Toxicroak first attack is one energy 90 damage after a knock out. Let him sit on your bench until a knock out. Even then, why bother when you got Leafeon.

fxgwzl.png

Your welcome.

In all seriousness you can use it with PLS Crobat which does ultra toxic (40 damage + 40 in between) and with virbank that's 20 more. So 100 going into their turn and 60 coming back.

JasonRox said:
Toxicroak first attack is one energy 90 damage after a knock out. Let him sit on your bench until a knock out. Even then, why bother when you got Leafeon.

Same reason you'd use Terrakions Land Crush, for those times when the game is slow and things aren't being KO'd every turn.

Very Bad Deck Idea: Simisear NXD with Virbank. You deal 60 damage + burn for 2 energy. Add in a laser and that's a potential 50 damage from stasis alone. I would never play this competitively for obvious reasons, but multiple stasis conditions are pretty fun.

toxicroak-ex.jpg
Toxicroak-EX - Psychic - HP170

[C][C] Trioxic: Your opponent's Active Pokemon is now Poisoned. Between turns put 3 damage counters on it instead of 1.
[P][P][C] Smash Uppercut: 80 damage. This attack isn't affected by Resistance.
When Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
I'm looking to use the gym with this guy here.

^

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the card. Shame the second attack sucks though.

I was thinking Toxicroak EX with Snorlax (translation below), Virizion EX, and Munna BCR. Use Toxi EX with Virbank to poison, and have Munna and Lasers to put your opponent's Pokemon to sleep. Snorlax helps keep them asleep and Virizion prevents your own Pokemon from being put to sleep or poisoned. Snorlax can also attack pretty well, and with a Grass attached it won't fall asleep. The only think I can think of right now that can beat it is other Virizion EX. Maybe teching a Fire type or Garbodor would help.
Snorlax - Colorless - HP130
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Snooze
Flip 2 coins instead of 1 for when this Pokemon is Asleep between turns. If either coin is tails, this Pokemon is still Asleep.

[C][C][C][C] Collapsing Breath: 120 damage. This Pokemon is now Asleep. Heal 20 damage from this Pokemon.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 4

That Snorlax's ability only applies to itself. It's one of those rare drawback abilities that you'd want to shut off with Garbodor (or in this case, just play Virizion EX to prevent him from putting himself to sleep after attacking).

Oh! I can't read. Well... In that case cut Snorlax out, I guess. Sleep is still annoying.

What about the new Dragalge from Wild Blaze, it's a Stage 1 Dragon-Type whose ability says that your Opponent's Poisoned Pokemon can't retreat. With Toxicroak EX and LaserBank that seems pretty solid especially with Lysandre unless you're already heavy on Supporters in your deck cause the way I see it Lysandre isn't nearly as versatile as Pokemon Catcher was pre-errata.

Card Slinger J said:
What about the new Dragalge from Wild Blaze, it's a Stage 1 Dragon-Type whose ability says that your Opponent's Poisoned Pokemon can't retreat. With Toxicroak EX and LaserBank that seems pretty solid especially with Lysandre unless you're already heavy on Supporters in your deck cause the way I see it Lysandre isn't nearly as versatile as Pokemon Catcher was pre-errata.

That would work against a few decks, but just a few problems.

If they have two Keldeo EX out, that would never work.
Virizion EX decks would make sure Poisoning wouldn't take place.
The annoying Garbodor (Unless of course, you have Tool Scrapper or Surprise Megaphone).

BlazikenBro said:
Card Slinger J said:

That would work against a few decks, but just a few problems.

If they have two Keldeo EX out, that would never work.
Virizion EX decks would make sure Poisoning wouldn't take place.
The annoying Garbodor (Unless of course, you have Tool Scrapper or Surprise Megaphone).

Running a Garbodor in a Venusaur EX / Crobat / Toxicroak EX deck can be viable Maybe exclude the Toxicroak and add in DEX Accelgor for a little more field control. Garb would stop Keldeo EX and Virizion EX in their tracks and Crobat can cover till M Venausaur EX is ready to play. PLS Crobat with bangle will hit for 70 on an EX with 60 in between turns resulting in a 2TKO should the opponent not switch. It would put quite some pressure on the opposing side. Another card I had in mind was DRX Dustox. One Psychic gives you poison, burn, and sleep which can pretty much lock an opponent depending. The fact that it's stage 2 is a drawback though. Played right, I think it could have some potential

Back