Orlando, 12-8 Why I hate Hammertime

Matryoshka

Hi, I'm a scrub
I don't know why I'm even posting this XP

So last weekend I drove all the way to Orlando cuz my dad had to go there anyway for a city. I really just wanted to get my feet wet into the new format, and maybe snag a few CP.

After a lot of testing, I realized my favorite deck choice was by far Landorus/Darkrai. However, I learned about other Darkrai variants while researching ideas for the deck, and I fell in love with Speed Darkrai. Just not with its lack of a Fighting counter. Hammertime seemed to be the best play. It was just like Speed Darkrai but it had speed and disruption, a deadly combo. And it seemed to be able to beat the new Aspertia deck that's been taking the format as well.

Without further ado...

R1 vs. Hydreigon

Simple game. I whiff my energy T1, but she does as well, and a lot of other things, such as a Supporter, or access to a Hydreigon. She does get a Zwelious, however, and I Night Spear it promptly. Realizing it's a dead game, she scoops up her cards and admits she has a bad first game at every tournament. I still felt bad though.

1-0

R2 vs. Hammertime

Well, the exact opposite of the first round. I whiff everything, from energies to supporters, and for a while I can't even fish out my Sableyes. He almost benched me too, if it wasn't for my single Max Potion topdeck.

1-1

R3 vs. Aspertia Tank

I had to waste a lot of cards early game with Juniper, and all he did was go aggro Landorus the whole game, so Hammers were useless. After he warmed up the field with Hammerhead, he used Land's Judgement on the Darkrais to sweep my field. It didn't help that my lone Tool Scrapper was prized either.

1-2

R4 vs. Tornadus/Mewtwo/Bouffalant

Weird deck, but the guy couldn't get out his energies. Plus his deck wasn't even complete, he said.

2-2

R5 vs. Keldeo

This is why I wanted to play Hammertime. I got out a T2 Darkrai to KO a Wartortle, and from there she couldn't even set up.

3-2

R6 vs. Empoleon/Terrakion

I took care of the Piplups mainly, and didn't bother damaging anything evolved. I also hurt Terrakions as much as possible until I had the field to recover.

4-2

...16th place. Yeah, I hate this deck.

Props:

Being able to go
Watching people throw pennies
Buying two Tornadus EX
Learning more about the meta

Slops:

Whiffing cut

RE: Why I hate Hammertime

4-2 is actually a pretty decent showing (although your resistance kinda sucked) what did you hate about hammertime? I'm thinking about taking it to a cities in a couple weeks so I'm looking to gather info on the deck...

I've played Hammertime at two cities and did bad at both. I think the deck is good but I really don't know how to play it. Also, my deck is more Aggro. I play no heal and no scrapper, and also use tech Sigilyph and Shaymin. AND I play 2 Mewtwo and 3 DCE. It is weird but seems really good. Maybe some of this is contributing to my problem with the deck.

I don't hate Hammertime.
Cause I just beat it.
HAHAHAAA
Plus if hammertime didn't exist.
Klingklang.
EVERYWHERE

grantm1999 said:
I've played Hammertime at two cities and did bad at both. I think the deck is good but I really don't know how to play it. Also, my deck is more Aggro. I play no heal and no scrapper, and also use tech Sigilyph and Shaymin. AND I play 2 Mewtwo and 3 DCE. It is weird but seems really good. Maybe some of this is contributing to my problem with the deck.

The way I normally use hammertime is by going with the "hammer spammer" strategy. Basically you spam crushing hammer while using Junk Hunt every single turn to get them back, and you keep on doing it until you have a darkrai or 2 ready to attack. It works pretty well but you don't really want to use this strategy vs Blastoise, eels, or ho-oh...

I go hammer spammer, but then never stop... Blastoise matchup is pretty handled by Shaymin and Sigilyph. Also, wouldn't it be good to hammerspam Fires and DCEs in eels?

Glace said:
If you spam hammer, they spam patch.

Or Dynamotor. Or Deluge.

Or they spam hammer right back.
Hammer, Patch Junk Hunt, Hammer, Patch, Junk hunt....

to beat balstoise you need a T2 Darkrai, that's pretty much the best way to go about doing it. With eels you just target down the eels while slowly killing off fire energy. Vs mirror, the first person to get a successful night spear will get an overwhelming advantage... (the mirror matchup can also depend on how many eviolite, terrakion, or tool scrapper you have...)

I wasnt saying how the matchup would be, I was saying what a person facing hammer spam would do.

Back