Discussion Oranguru is killing a win condition

dmode15

Aspiring Trainer
I am getting tired of facing these decks with Oranguru in it. I feel it should be banned. Mainly because wtith rescue stretcher and pal pad you can create an endless loop. Dont they normally ban cards that prevent people from achieving a win condition. Isnt that the reason that Lysandre Trump card was banned?

But since it is not going to be banned, can someone give some advice for having to deal with it, without taking up a bunch of deck space?

Thanks

The Evil Sneasel

Aspiring Trainer
Oranguru Isn't a problem because oranguru isn't really useful unless its against mill in which can still be countered using Faba or Enhanced/Crushing Hammer then Girafarig them away. Another way is to Guzma/Counter catcher up a muk to stall it, thus needing to retreat it to continue resource management, this is even more effective when using Limitation (Sableye GRI) so they can guzma/acerola the muk to continue using Resource Management. If they only play one oranguru you can simply use Lost Purge-GX (Lugic-GX LOT)

This is presuming that your playing stall, if you're playing something else then just guzma KO the GX's on the field.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I'm not very versed in the competitive scene at the moment, so I can't comment on Oranguru's impact on the game. However, I do have a few ideas:

Go for the 1-hit KO:
[F] Lycanroc BUS
[F] - Regirock CES + Professor Kukui + (any Tool card)
[C][C] - Cubone FLI + Professor Kukui
[C][C] - Zygarde-GX + Professor Kukui (or some other damage booster)
[F] Buzzwole-GX + Professor Kukui (with splash damage on Oranguru already)
[*][*][*] - Rotom UPR + 9 Pokemon Tool cards in your discard pile.

My recommendation:
* - Marshadow-GX + any basic that can hit for 40 to 60 damage.

Disable the attack:
[C] Sableye CES
[P] Uxie FLI
[C] Spiritomb UPR

dmode15

Aspiring Trainer
I forgot all about Lugia GX. That may be an option.

Oranguru Isn't a problem because oranguru isn't really useful unless its against mill in which can still be countered using Faba or Enhanced/Crushing Hammer then Girafarig them away. Another way is to Guzma/Counter catcher up a muk to stall it, thus needing to retreat it to continue resource management, this is even more effective when using Limitation (Sableye GRI) so they can guzma/acerola the muk to continue using Resource Management. If they only play one oranguru you can simply use Lost Purge-GX (Lugic-GX LOT)

This is presuming that your playing stall, if you're playing something else then just guzma KO the GX's on the field.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I am getting tired of facing these decks with Oranguru in it. I feel it should be banned. Mainly because wtith rescue stretcher and pal pad you can create an endless loop. Dont they normally ban cards that prevent people from achieving a win condition. Isnt that the reason that Lysandre Trump card was banned?

But since it is not going to be banned, can someone give some advice for having to deal with it, without taking up a bunch of deck space?

Thanks

I assume you're talking about Oranguru UPR (Resource Management). Is it really that hard to play around it? It feels like you're complaining about the card that's basically there to be the tech against mill - of course it makes mill harder to win. But you can still knock it out, you can still remove its energy, you can still move it from the active ... all of that requiring your opponent to have certain cards to handle. Maybe they get them, in which case congratulate them and move on to the next game, but they won't always.

birdboy2000

Bird Keeper
As a stall player, Oranguru's definitely a pain to deal with, but not an unbeatable one. Off the top of my head, Xurkitree can put part of the combo in the opponent's prizes, Faba can often run it out of energy (as most Oranguru decks only play special, and play low counts), and Vileplume prevents it from attacking. And Shuckle's triple poison can definitely pressure it, Oranguru + stretcher may be an infinite chain but you can still win by taking 6 prizes, even if they happen to be 6 Oranguru.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
Vileplume stops it from attack period
I assume you're talking about Oranguru UPR (Resource Management). Is it really that hard to play around it? It feels like you're complaining about the card that's basically there to be the tech against mill - of course it makes mill harder to win. But you can still knock it out, you can still remove its energy, you can still move it from the active ... all of that requiring your opponent to have certain cards to handle. Maybe they get them, in which case congratulate them and move on to the next game, but they won't always.
Yes UPR Oranguru is that hard to deal with. The problem is that they can resource management back any cards they need to put Oranguru back in the active

Discard their energy? attach another energy and resource management the discarded energy back into the deck. Move Oranguru to the bench? Play a Switch/Guzma or attach an energy and retreat and then resource managment those cards back. Knock out? This is a stall deck we're talking about it doesn't do that. But even if you did they can rescue stretcher the Oranguru back and then resource managment the stretcher back into the deck

You say they might not get those cards. But it's a stall deck, the deck relies on your opponent eventually drawing their whole deck to win. They will get those cards eventually before stall will win the game

k4kirin

Aspiring Trainer
Since we're talking about things that kill win conditions, can we also ban Judge/Marshadow/Reset Stamp for killing Greninja Loop/Moomoo Milk Cannon/Missing Clover/A.Raticate GX/Steven's Resolve decks?

Euclid271

Aspiring Trainer
I think it is a good thing that there are counters to win conditions... especially maddening win conditions like stall. Like any good deck, you have to know what counters are out there for you and have a plan with how to deal with them.

dmode15

Aspiring Trainer
Vileplume stops it from attack period

Yes UPR Oranguru is that hard to deal with. The problem is that they can resource management back any cards they need to put Oranguru back in the active

Discard their energy? attach another energy and resource management the discarded energy back into the deck. Move Oranguru to the bench? Play a Switch/Guzma or attach an energy and retreat and then resource managment those cards back. Knock out? This is a stall deck we're talking about it doesn't do that. But even if you did they can rescue stretcher the Oranguru back and then resource managment the stretcher back into the deck

You say they might not get those cards. But it's a stall deck, the deck relies on your opponent eventually drawing their whole deck to win. They will get those cards eventually before stall will win the game

Exactly... And it gets even more difficult if they have thinned their deck out so much that they almost guarantee the cards they need.

JumpluffTCG

Aspiring Trainer
Can't you lost zone it with Lugia GX's Lost Purge?

You could also use Durant LOT's Mountain Munch to discard 2 of their 3 cards they put back into their deck in the late game.

Girafarig's Get Lost can just lost zone the things that potentially could come back as well.

Last edited:

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Can't you lost zone it with Lugia GX's Lost Purge?

You could also use Durant LOT's Mountain Munch to discard 2 of their 3 cards they put back into their deck in the late game.

Girafarig's Get Lost can just lost zone the things that potentially could come back as well.
These solutions are finite on their own. Lugia works on only 1 oranguru and realistically only if your opponent has taken a prize.
Durant just gets knocked out the next turn and your back to square one and girifirig can be good but after a resource management the stiff your really going to want to target are back in the deck also girifirig is easily killed.

JumpluffTCG

Aspiring Trainer
These solutions are finite on their own. Lugia works on only 1 oranguru and realistically only if your opponent has taken a prize.
Durant just gets knocked out the next turn and your back to square one and girifirig can be good but after a resource management the stiff your really going to want to target are back in the deck also girifirig is easily killed.
I don't know of any decks that run more than 1 Oranguru besides the recent ZoroControl deck, and I would just take the fat L on that one and call it a day.