ORAS OR/AS NPC Redesigns

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member
This thread is for discussing the new artwork for the NPC Trainers and villains in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Unfortunately I was only able to find still pictures for the female Trainers, though I did find a video containing all of them, which compares them to their sprites in the original RSE games. If anyone can find a link to the male Trainer spires, I will give them credit, a cookie, and post said link in this post. :D

OR/ AS Female Trainers

OR/AS - RSE Sprite Comparison video

I noticed in the video that a small number of these images were carried over from X/Y, but the majority weren't. It really doesn't detract from the asthetics at all, though if the Battle Tower / Frontier does make a return, we can expect to see more X/Y designs recycled. Also note that some of these have already been shown in previous reveals. Credit goes to whoeverr was awesome enough to post these images. :cool:

Anyway, what do you guys think of these? Your favorites? Your least favorites? I think Parasol Lady looks as cute as ever, and I really like the makeover they gave Glacia. She looks to have been inspired by Elsa, and is definiitely younger than her original version, but still has a mature aura to her. And my gosh... Wallace could give Professor Sycamore a run for his money with that outfit. I'm no sure I like Winona's design sadly. She looks more aloof than she did in the original games.

Best: Either female Tuber or Sr. & Jr. Duo
Worst: Female Swimmer; dat face. And the one to the immediate left of the Parasol Lady, because the shade makes it look like she has a wicked sunburn where it looks like there is shade.

Going from top to bottom and left to right, Phoebe looks younger but retains her happiness and it was already nice to see a Ghost trainer that's not morbid, goth or something. Roxanne, like I said on another occasion, seems that is saying to the player that it can look beneath the skirt but only once or will get yelled at; Flannery really looks like fire.

Glacia is simply gorgeous now as well as Winona with her grace.
The Aqua adm. (I don't remember her name because of such difference) seems like a prostitute, Courtney seems like she has been listening to Madonna ("(...) touched for the very first time...").

My favorite one - Aroma Lady - is beautiful yet simple as ever, which is great.

Beauty is nice, the female Rocker/Guitarrist (I guess) is looking very good. The female Veteran seems like it has a big and akward hair/head. All the others going from this are just nice and lovely.

How I wish the Diver would be the female Aqua adm.. *sigh*

The one with the hat who looks like she's sunburned I'm pretty sure is Lady. Looks like they kept the green / white color scheme from the original, but her dress seems to be less poofy.

I also noticed that the female Diver is wearing googles but not a mouthpiece. Maybe she's related to Guybrush Threepwood? She must be able to hold her breath for a very long time.

Off topic, but it seems like they're making an effort to spice up the underwater areas a bit. I thought those were pretty barren in the original games. I know it's well.... underwater, but in a video game I like to see interactibility.

They all look great imo. I specially like the man and woman with the plusle and minum jackets... not sure what trainer category they belong to but they look awesome!!! I also think Glacia and Winona are both very pretty, and wallace looks like a queen, doesn't he? Both divers are sick as well, and so are the rich boy and lady and the parasol girl... I like them all and consider them a big improvement over the originals...

I really love the redesigns! I feel like everyone gets a bit more character now, especially the Aqua and Magma admins, Gym Leaders, and Elite Four. The Aroma Lady is my favourite, but I've always had a fondness for that class, so it's not surprising. :) I'm glad to see there are some decent quality sprite rips out now.

I actually have seen a picture with all trainers, both male and female, but I don't feel like going through every single one and this post will already be long enough with just the females, so I'll just do the ones from the picture in the OP (that I didn't already comment on in CoroCoro threads).

I love Glacia's outfit, and she definitely feels icy. I like how the shading above her right eye makes it look like she's wearing blue eye shadow.
Winona, who happens to be my favorite Hoenn Gym Leader, also has my favorite redesign :D
I like the diver, and I think it's neat that they added underwater battles.
The Aroma Lady is really pretty. I like the fragrance that surrounds her.
The Pokefan looks a little younger than in other games. They usually look around mid-30s.
Sr. and Jr. look like they're from an anime that has a school as a major setting.
The Beauty lives up to her name. She looks a lot like one of my friends, except my friend's hair is longer and she doesn't wear earrings.
The Lass is adorable.
I've always been completely indifferent about campers and picnickers. They just seem there; nothing about them really stands out to me.
I think the female trainer with the Minun jacket and the male trainer with the Plusle jacket are the Street Gang (I may be remembering the name wrong, but it was something along those lines) trainer class in the demo's coding. It made me aware that up until now, Hoenn is the only region that didn't have some street crime or "tough guy" trainer class. Kanto had bikers, cue balls, and burglars; Johto had burglars; Sinnoh had roughnecks; Unova had roughnecks and motorcyclists; Kalos had the punks and Lumiose Gang. But this is a first for Hoenn.
The Expert kind of looks like she's meditating. I wonder if the Veterans from gens 4-6 were a renaming for Hoenn's Experts, or if the trainer class in ORAS will still be expert.
Pokemon Ranger, Battle Girl, School Kid, Pokemon Breeder, Ace Trainer, and Tuber resemble their original RSE looks a lot.
The Swimmer's mouth is drawn really oddly, like it's the result of damage or paralysis from some kind of accident.
The Lady looks like she enjoys raiding/pillaging the neighborhoods of poor and middle class people. I can picture an explosion going off behind her while she frolics, saying cheerfully "The screaming of commoners having everything they own being burned to the ground is such a pleasant sound ♪"
Most trainers look younger than they did originally, but the Parasol Lady looks older. She has a warm, friendly look.

I like the Bug Maniac (cute!), Cool Trainer (F) because of the flapping 'cape', the Pokemon Breeder (M) because of that wink and pitchfork, the psychic looks much better, the Swimmer looks much better, the Tuber (M) looks so excited, and I naturally love the revamps of the Gym Leaders and other main NPCs including Wally.

I think the Expert F just looks... ugly.

Seven is a Color said:
(...)
The Swimmer's mouth is drawn really oddly, like it's the result of damage or paralysis from some kind of accident.
The Lady looks like she enjoys raiding/pillaging the neighborhoods of poor and middle class people. I can picture an explosion going off behind her while she frolics, saying cheerfully "The screaming of commoners having everything they own being burned to the ground is such a pleasant sound ♪"
(...)

The Swimmer must be a relative of Sidney. Have you seen his new face!?...

I laughed so much reading that about the Lady! Don't forget that she probably raids those neighborhoods using gangs of Linoone that draw people out by carrying Nuggets only for the Linoone to turn around and eat them!

I watched the video and somehow I don't like or at least, find odd the new male designs...The females are more cheerful and happy than males. In my opinion the biggest dissapointment is the male Expert that looked like a classy but capable guy. I do love the new male tuber and Ninja boy.
Too bad that the Hex Maniac is just reused from XY and doesn't wear a hat.

Last but not least, Bug Maniac looks like a pedophile pretending to be catching bugs but using the net for Youngster. Waaay to creepy! :(

PS: If the original Dragon Tamer was lame...the new one is just freaking hideous!

Wallace's redesign leaves little to the imagination... Winona is majestic thought, and Tate & Liza are adorable (I can also tell Tate is a boy now).

I absolutely love the redesigns. They are so cool! Winona and the Aroma Lady are clearly, the best. I love Wallace, he's such a fab, and Tate & Liza (You now can tell the difference between them). My favorite one is obviously the Diver trainer. Underwater battles? Yes please!

Edit: Forgot to mention Glacia. I'm just a tad disappointed but I still like her new artwork though. The old one reminds me of a German woman, I don't know why. It just does. Her new art doesn't really reminds me of that. The most appealing thing is her gloves. Queen Elsa, anyone? :p

I like the twins' redesigns ;w; And at least it's easier for people to tell the difference between them now. Wallace and Winona look nice too o:

Windwhip said:
(...)
Edit: Forgot to mention Glacia. I'm just a tad disappointed but I still like her new artwork though. The old one reminds me of a German woman, I don't know why. It just does. Her new art doesn't really reminds me of that. The most appealing thing is her gloves. Queen Elsa, anyone? :p

Why? Because she mixes lots of concepts and tropes:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IceQueen
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrawnHilda
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IronLady
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GermanicEfficiency

She's the blond beauty (with ASOR update) from the North that's cold and unreacheable, but very efficient and perhaps ruthless (cold). While not a Mata Hari, she certainly fills the role of WWII blonde german spies and officers. Just go see Juno Eclipse from Star Wars and you'll see more of this.

Back