Discussion Online vs Paper cards

semurphy444

Aspiring Trainer
Unlike a lot of people, I'm coming from more of a poker background as opposed to MTG. Now besides the obvious RNG, do you/have you ever played differently in person just picking up a "tell" on your opponent?

For example, lets say they KO you; you're in line to KO him/her back...you looked at their facial expressions as they drew their prizes....and even though you could N their hand from 5 down to 2... You choose to Sycamore on a hunch they dont have the right cards, where the odds would tell you to shrink their hand down. Or would you play it the same regardless?

lukas2aces

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Not really.. I have played poker as well, I understand what you're saying, if I see my opponent is really not happy with his hand I might decide to play Sycamore instead of N, but most actions are based on information I know (for example, after a Beacon from Alolan Vulpix playing N might be better).

thom ye

Aspiring Trainer
As best you can, each player does try to read the tell. sometimes based on their expressions and body language. sometimes based on their card play (such as if they just Sycamore'd, but only play a card or two).
keep in mind, in most tournament settings, you face a "new" opponent each round and you may only play them 2-3 games, so thats all the time you have to get a feel of your opponent. most good players don't have a lot of tells and play fairly expressionless.