JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Onix and Steelix were revealed from the upcoming set Pokemon GO, which releases in Japan on June 17th and internationally on July 1st.
Onix – Fighting – HP120
Basic Pokemon
[C][C][C] Rock Tomb: 50 damage. During your opponent’s next turn, the Defending Pokemon can’t retreat.
[F][F][C][C] Wrathful Swing: 50x damage. This attack does 50 damage for each damage counter on this Pokemon.
Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: 4

Steelix – Metal – HP180
Stage 1 – Evolves from Onix
[C][C][C] Body Slam: 70...

Continue reading...

DarkMatterGaming

Aspiring Trainer
Seriously, Onix is almost super interesting.

You only need 7 damage counters on it for it to be taking OHKOs on everything in the format - even Mew VMAX!

But without a consistent way to get damage on it and the fact that it requires bare minimum 3 attaches... kinda rough. Maybe a Donphan variant can use it? I dunno.

TheRainmaker

I like Expanded
if only we had like, a single strike badge or something. so many cards that could maybe be interesting in the SS/RS engine that just dont get the support
There are so many cards I've had these same thoughts about... Garchomp V, Kleavor V/VStar, etc etc could have all been phenomenal instead of an afterthought if they were just Single or Rapid Strike. I get that Isle of Armor was a while ago now, but Arceus Legends had Strong and Agile attacks which could have recycled the Single and Rapid Strike concept in the TCG.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
We got Gordie for the two fighting attachments(no arceus effects for non-Vs), now for the damage, we have to wait until lost origins in English, which has the gengar that puts 3 counters on itself via a discard+ability(that gengar, unfortunately, might be censored upon localization), and the damage pump that comes with it which moves that damage to the onix. Even then, we will have to test it and see if it works. But since it requires so much, likely not worth it...

Last edited:

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
I actually like that this Onix is almost at a playable level because, well, it's a common. It's also kinda what I'd expect from an Onix card; big with a mean looking attack, but actually pretty easy to take down.

Steelix is bland and doesn't continue with Onix's theme of stacking damage counters, but to be fair, the Fusion Strike/Fusion ARTS Steelix does, so I guess it would be repetitive to do that twice in a row.

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
Well, at least the Steelix art is nice, especially the background and the little flowers. For some reason the background reminds me of yoshi's island cave level.