Ruling older rare candy prints. Please help!

G

GermFree

I have read on the web, a list of certain cards that are in the current format that were printed in older sets that retain the same text.(Like pluspower, DCE, and rare candy.) It said it was okay to substitute the current ones with an older printed card, while some were said to need a in format copy for reference, being that the text have been altered slightly since it was first released. Specifically, I would like to know about Rare Candy.

I have 3 rare candy cards in my deck, but they are all from an older set. Its a hassle to spend an absurd amounts of money plus shipping for a couple of uncommon cards. Also, I do not have the money nor luck to take my chances on a booster.( Now that I recall, my local store doesn't even sell any of the gold & silver expansions anymore.)

Anyway, I would just like to hear from a bunch of real people who know their stuff if it would be okay for me to take these old school copies of rare candy to a tournament? I wouldn't want the lady in the cat sweater that runs it to chew me out and have me travel there in vain. Thanks everyone! :)

You are allowed to use reprints of older cards as long as the text is the same. If they text isn't the same, you need a card-dex print out of the new card:

http://www.pokemon.com/us/trading-cards/strategy/official-card-dex/

You can also bring one copy of the current printing of the card as a reference. Note that a scan or copy is not sufficient.

The funny thing about rare candy is that they changed the text without making a new version. So technically all rare candys are the in the same boat in that they require a card dex entry. However most judges will let it slide since as I said, everybody is in the same boat.

All the rare candies have been errata'd, meaning the card text has been changed officially. All players are expected to know erratas and references aren't required for them.

Also the rules mention nothing about having a printed reference anymore, it just says this:
Pokemon Tournament Rules said:
15.4. Reprinted Cards
Should a player choose to use an older printing of a card that has had significant text changes,
the player must have a local-language version of the card with the most recent text revisions,
outside of his or her deck, for reference.
I've also read from a rules team member that references can't be printed out. I'm assuming they changed it cause it's pretty easy to type something up that looks like the card dex.

I would say to be cautious and carry a reference anyway just to avoid any hassle, but there is no current reference for it, and it looks like we won't have one till May.

Potion, PlusPower, Great Ball, and Rare Candy were all errata'd, so any older prints are actually still legal even without a reference. However, it definitely does not hurt to have a newer print of those cards so you can read what it does.

Rare Candy is an odd situation right now, as they changed the effect but haven't reprinted it (yet). Just play any and all Rare Candies with the newer effect. (The same goes for PlusPower.)

Back