Ruling Old timer questions

Dangerous

Aspiring Trainer
The first question baffled me as a kid and the other two came up recently.

1. Clefairy Doll base set. The card says you MAY discard it before your attack and unlike Mysterious Fossil, it lacks the bracketted (dicard it anyway) when it is knocked out. Does that mean that I can keep Clefairy Doll in play as long as I want and have an indestructable wall?

2. Promo Articuno (given out during pokemon the movie 2000). The card reads flip a coin. If heads the defending pokemon is now paralyzed, and this attack does 10 damage to each of your opponent's benched pokemon. Does the damage to the benched pokemon depend on the coin flip or not? I'm pretty sure it's the first one but just checking.

3. Energy removal does not state a basic energy card. Ergo it can remove special energy cards right?

4. If I just evolved a pokemon can I use Wally's Training to evolve it again?

Thank you in advance.

Ok, I might have some of your questions answered.
1: (text on the card)
Clefairy Doll           10HP
Play Clefairy Doll as if it were a Basic Pokemon.
While on play, Clefairy Doll counts as a Pokemon (instead of a Trainer card).
Clafairy Doll has no attacks, can't retreat, & can't be a Special Condition. (That bit was errarted by me...but you get what I mean)
If Clefairy Doll is KO'd, it doesn't count as a KO'd pokemon.
At any time during your turn before you attack, you may discard Clefairy Doll

As you can tell it only has 10hp which means basicaly any Pokémon that has an attack with 10 or more can KO it easily.
2: (Text on card)
Articuno                   70HP
[w][w][w] Diamond Dust             20
Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokemon is now Paralyzed, & this attack does 10 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokemon.
(Don't apply Weakness & Resistance for Benched Pokemon)

As you can tell it does do damage to the bench.

3: (text on card)
Energy Removal
Choose 1 energy card attached to 1 of your opponet's Pokemon & discard it

Energy removal does not state a basic energy card. Ergo it can remove special energy cards right? That's right it means any energy also it removes:
Holon's Magnemite/ton
Holon's Voltorb/trode
Holon's Castform

4:
085.jpg

You can....but only with Rare Candy.

You kinda got it, LV. I'll elaborate.

1. The phrase "(discard it anyway.)" is for clarification, it still gets discarded when it gets KOed. It doesn't count as a Knocked Out Pokémon because if it did, your opponent would get a Prize for it, and then no one would play it. :D

2. Yes, the damage depends on the coin flip. Diamond Dust's effect says "Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed and this attack does 10 damage..." So if you flip heads, you get paralysis and 10 to their Bench. If you flip tails, you get only 20 to the Active.

3. LV answered this, Energy Removal can discard Special Energy cards. That's part of the reason why it's such a mean card.

4. Yes you can. Wally's Training breaks standard rules of evolution, so you can evolve a Torchic into Combusken through normal means, then use Wally's Training to pull Blaziken or Blaziken ex from your deck. This does not work in reverse, though; if you use Wally's Training to pull Combusken from your deck to evolve Torchic, you can NOT play Blaziken or Blaziken ex from your hand to evolve Combusken, since Wally's Training counts as your 1 normal evolution a turn.

Back