Discussion Okay, Tapu Lele-GX's Price is Outrageous

I just dropped seventy bucks on two Lele yesterday. Find different ways to get your cards - trade, check different sites, etc. If you want to be successful, you'll simply need to make the sacrifice. Honestly, if you didn't realize that Tapu Lele was going to hit numbers like these when Guardians Rising dropped in May, then I dunno what you were doing lol. Rotation was just around the corner; you need to plan ahead. Unless you're a new player, experience in investing is valuable and you oughta pick up these cards while they're on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Funny you're complaining about a forty-six dollar card, when Mewtwo-EX from Next Destinies, Rayquaza SR from Dragons Exalted, and Luxray GL LV.X from Rising Rivals were closer to a hundred at some point. It's just the economics of the game.

So you're saying I'm not a serious player?!?!?
No, I'm serious all right, just broke. I do realize the potential of Lele but am broke. I do in fact, want a Lele but DO NOT HAVE THE MEANS TO OBTAIN ONE. This makes me dislike Lele just a bit, because it appears to be, say, a right of passage into being a serious player. Earth to PMJ and Aurajackie, there are serious players who don't have Lele, such as me. Every Friday, my league gets together for battles and whatnot, and everyone there is a serious player, but at first thought, 4-6 people don't have the means to get a Lele, but are still serious. The fact that you two can't see that a stinkin' glittery piece of cardboard does not define the seriousness of the player is either inconsiderate to the broke, or sickening. Because of your points, I can get a clear visual of two people who have the means of obtaining 4 Lele, and don't lose, blaming the losses of your opponent's not on their deck or luck, but on the fact they do not have Tapu Lele.
One question for you un-broke people:
How many Leles do you have?

If you get extra money, save it. If you get packs, sell your pulls, or save them to try and use in a trade. If your goal is to win, and you recognize that Tapu Lele is a card that would drastically improve your decks, then you should do whatever it takes to get them instead of whining about how expensive they are. From now on, any money that you would use to buy packs, save it and put it towards getting a Lele instead. It's that easy. If you think this is difficult, then either don't play, or continue using your Lele-less decks and don't complain that other people have them. Everyone has the means to get Lele. People would rather just buy packs and get lucky rather than buy it straight away.

I will agree that anyone who wants to play seriously will find a way to get the card but not everyone is capable of this and to say a player isn't serious because they can't afford Tapu Lele is quite elitist. Sucks you had to drop 72 bucks @Serperior . I'm just waiting to see how TPC/i will address for the people who can't afford to get them.

So you're saying I'm not a serious player?!?!?
No, I'm serious all right, just broke. I do realize the potential of Lele but am broke. I do in fact, want a Lele but DO NOT HAVE THE MEANS TO OBTAIN ONE. This makes me dislike Lele just a bit, because it appears to be, say, a right of passage into being a serious player. Earth to PMJ and Aurajackie, there are serious players who don't have Lele, such as me. Every Friday, my league gets together for battles and whatnot, and everyone there is a serious player, but at first thought, 4-6 people don't have the means to get a Lele, but are still serious. The fact that you two can't see that a stinkin' glittery piece of cardboard does not define the seriousness of the player is either inconsiderate to the broke, or sickening. Because of your points, I can get a clear visual of two people who have the means of obtaining 4 Lele, and don't lose, blaming the losses of your opponent's not on their deck or luck, but on the fact they do not have Tapu Lele.
One question for you un-broke people:
How many Leles do you have?
I have 2. If you are truly broke, you should not be spending money on Pokemon cards. There are probably more important things to pay.
Also @crystal_pidgeot they won't fix for at least another year or 2, like they did for Shaymin.

They'll fix it the same way they "fixed" shaymin, that is to say not at all. My point of view isn't elitist, it's being real and honest about the situation. Can you play without it? Yes. Is the price a barrier? A small one, but yes. But pretending that it's impossible to obtain isn't doing anyone any favors.

Last edited:
If you're not willing to invest in Lele, I'm not sure how you're financially able to travel for events.
and if you're not trying to compete in events... I'm not sure how you're claiming to be a serious player.

Most players who play TCGs competitively, understand the commitment it takes.
I used to compete in Magic... and it was a lot worse than Pokemon.

I've actually met fellow Magic players at tournaments, and a fair bit of them say they switched to Pokemon because it's cheaper to play.

They'll fix it the same way they "fixed" shaymin, that is to say not at all. My point of view isn't elitist, it's being real and honest about the situation. Can you play without it? Yes. Is the price a barrier? A small one, but yes. But pretending that it's impossible to obtain isn't doing anyone any favors.

Yeah, I'm not sure why crystal_pigeot feels that he needs to call you elitist. You haven't said anything that is incorrect, you've stated facts that some people seem to disagree with.

When I first started this game, I had absolutely nothing in terms of cards. I bought a theme deck, learned that it was awful, and then started doing research to find what I needed. I now have decks that I can use competitively, but it took me some time to accumulate all of my cards.

You better believe I ordered a playset of Leles as soon as Guardians rising was released. I was able to get a playset for $120 on ebay, which is $30 a card. Those who are saying that Lele is too pricey waited too long. Cards like these will almost always go up in value instead of dropping so it makes sense to buy them as soon as possible. Even if you're on a budget, if you put aside $10 a paycheck, you'll be able to buy 1 Lele every month. Take it one step at a time instead of trying to buy everything all together.

If you get extra money, save it. If you get packs, sell your pulls, or save them to try and use in a trade. If your goal is to win, and you recognize that Tapu Lele is a card that would drastically improve your decks, then you should do whatever it takes to get them instead of whining about how expensive they are. From now on, any money that you would use to buy packs, save it and put it towards getting a Lele instead. It's that easy. If you think this is difficult, then either don't play, or continue using your Lele-less decks and don't complain that other people have them. Everyone has the means to get Lele. People would rather just buy packs and get lucky rather than buy it straight away.

I have 2. If you are truly broke, you should not be spending money on Pokemon cards. There are probably more important things to pay.

Well. I should stop.

Well. I should stop.
Not necessarily. Try to play online or try to play in a more casual setting in order to be able to use proxies. All I'm saying is that spending money on Pokemon over your needs (which, if you are truly broke, you could struggle with). @PMJ was saying that it is possible to find your cards for a cheaper amount or other alternatives. An alternative to Lele is Rabdim Receiver for example.

I just dropped seventy bucks on two Lele yesterday. Find different ways to get your cards - trade, check different sites, etc. If you want to be successful, you'll simply need to make the sacrifice. Honestly, if you didn't realize that Tapu Lele was going to hit numbers like these when Guardians Rising dropped in May, then I dunno what you were doing lol. Rotation was just around the corner; you need to plan ahead. Unless you're a new player, experience in investing is valuable and you oughta pick up these cards while they're on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Funny you're complaining about a forty-six dollar card, when Mewtwo-EX from Next Destinies, Rayquaza SR from Dragons Exalted, and Luxray GL LV.X from Rising Rivals were closer to a hundred at some point. It's just the economics of the game.
To be fair, the first two took a massive drop in price when cheaper prints came out (The Fall 2012 Legendary EX tins for Mewtwo-EX and Dragon Vault for Rayquaza).

And speaking of the Fall 2012 Legendary EX Tins, weren't the non-promo prints of the included EXs going for high prices before they were released as well? I know Mewtwo and to some extent Darkrai-EX were going high before then.

Well. I should stop.

Random Reciever?!?!?

Holy cow, I forgot that existed. Thank you very much!

Glad you found some help, but for the record, quitting really is an option, and one I should have taken at a point where I was spending money I didn't have. >.>

Nowadays, I play exclusively via the PTCGO. Maybe I'll be in a place where I can afford the physical cards and think they are worth the cost, but so far, the gap seems to be widening, not closing. ^^'

To be fair, the first two took a massive drop in price when cheaper prints came out (The Fall 2012 Legendary EX tins for Mewtwo-EX and Dragon Vault for Rayquaza).

And speaking of the Fall 2012 Legendary EX Tins, weren't the non-promo prints of the included EXs going for high prices before they were released as well? I know Mewtwo and to some extent Darkrai-EX were going high before then.

You're right, thanks for noting that. Regardless, to be competitive for a good chunk of that era, (especially for Mewtwo), you needed to be ready to shell out the cash.

@crystal_pidgeot haha it does suck spending money, not gonna lie, but I know I prioritize consistency when I play. The frustration of not having those cards weighs far more than the price of two Tapu Lele, so I'll cash out when I need to.

Well, tell me! I'm all ears for a quick fix!

The issue is that it is hard to playtest online and IRL prior to rotation. I have a Volcanion deck without Tapu Lele with over 75% win rate I have a Tapu Koko with over a 70% win rate, but I am playing against decks that are using cards still in standard while I am playing decks for after September. Sure Tapu Lele is amazing, but I see a lot of times where someone won't have the bench space because I reduced it or to play her they will use all their field blowers. You only get 1 supporter a turn. Can getting the right supporter be a game changer? Absolutely

I played forever without Shaymin or Octillery and I won a lot of packs from local tournaments without these amazing cards because I knew how my opponents decks played and I tailored the way I played to make it better for me. With winning these packs I eventually got some Shaymins.

Are you going to make top cut in a regional or international tournament? Probably not. Can win league challenges and local tournaments without Lele? Absolutely! Just take your prize packs from Guardians Rising and make sure the Lele hasn't been pulled from the box yet :D (this is when I would bank my packs at my FLGS)

Glad you found some help, but for the record, quitting really is an option, and one I should have taken at a point where I was spending money I didn't have. >.>

Nowadays, I play exclusively via the PTCGO. Maybe I'll be in a place where I can afford the physical cards and think they are worth the cost, but so far, the gap seems to be widening, not closing. ^^'

QUITTING IS NOT AN OPTION! I WILL NEVER GIVE UP!
That's my Ash impression.

Well, it seems I'm getting a bunch of attention! Thanks!

Also, the idea to change your playing style to beat your opponents is not something I actually consider, because I'm used to playing against my brother's Kommo-Oh-No deck, and usually my strategy is to get set up, suffer damage, set up, then whip people.

SUCH VALUABLE INFORMATION! THANK YOU ALL!

You could also build an entire Greninja Break Deck for the price of a Tapu Lele. which doesn't use Lele :D

The price sadly will only go up i was fortunate with my guardians rising booster case to pull 5 tapu lele which was enough for both of my decks but now that im looking to complete my master set of guardians rising the prices are getting hard to swallow especially for the rainbow rare but i also understand why they went up the card is in huge demand right now especially this close to worlds.

QUITTING IS NOT AN OPTION! I WILL NEVER GIVE UP!
That's my Ash impression.

Yeah... if I was an unaging 10-year-old in a world where Pokémon are real and I rarely had to worry where my food, clothing, and shelter were coming from, I'd be as gungho as Ash about that. ;) Also, you know you're an adult when the three things I just listed seem equally unrealistic. XD

For the record, I do recommend the PTCGO in general, even if you're also playing the physical TCG.

Once I saw Shaymins price shoot up so high and saw Lele come out I bought 2 online for 30 a piece. You have to kind of figure out what is gnna replace a card when it rotates and as everyone was saying for weeks that Lele was taking over Shaymin spot, which would mean tht is going to be a money card that you can seldomly bust out from packs. If you are trying to enter competitively it seems you either have to be willing to fork out some cash or play a deck that does not need to play money cards like Leles.

I think it's almost better to just buy a box and try to pull them but as others have said, if you need them, then just buy them. I'd much rather buy a few boxes of GR and get them that way while growing my collection.

Back