Official E3 2014 Discussion Thread

Rusty Sticks

♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
SK39yE7.gif

The biggest event in gaming starts this Monday! Here you can discuss what you want to see, what has been shown, and what you wish was shown.

The usual conferences start Monday, with Microsoft kicking it off. The rest of the week is dedicated to companies showing off their games on the showroom floor.

Here's the schedule:
  • 9:30 AM PT (12:30 AM EST), June 9 - Microsoft
  • 12:00 PM PT (3:00 PM EST), June 9 - Electronic Arts
  • 3:00 PM PT (6:00 PM EST), June 9 - Ubisoft
  • 6:00 PM PT (9:00 PM EST), June 9 - Sony
  • 9:00 AM PT (12:00 PM EST), June 10 - Nintendo (via Nintendo Direct)
Following the conferences, June 10 - 12 will feature developers showing off their games.

For a live countdown to each conference, and online live viewing, please go here.

As per rules, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby should be discussed in this forum. All other Pokemon related information that will be revealed should be discussed in this forum. Feel free to make new threads regarding specific reveals.

Confirmed Reveals:
- The Legend of Zelda U
- Battlefield: Hardline
- Assassin's Creed: Unity
- Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby (official gameplay reveal)
- Halo 5 (official gameplay reveal)
- Star Wars: Battlefront (official gameplay reveal)
- Lara Croft & the Temple of Osiris
- Half-Life 3
- more I can't remember

Rumors: (confirmed rumors will be bolded and underlined, as so)
- Left 4 Dead 3
- Pokken Fighters
- Halo 2 Anniversary Edition
- Halo: Master Chief Collection (all 4 main series games ported to Xbox One)
- Mario Maker
- Fallout 4
- The Last Guardian
- Rainbow 6: Patriots
- Pokemon Snap 2 (or Pokemon Snap remade for Wii U)
- Mass Effect 4
- Metroid
- all your hopes and dreams

Not Gonna Happen Ever:
- that one game you really want

Don't forget batman: arkham knight, rusty, that game will be marvelous.

But battlefront's footage and mass effect 4 news? finally an E3 with some important news, last year was incredibly disappointing.

Rusty Sticks said:
- Mario Maker

This one feels pretty likely. It's based on this image of what looks like Nintendo's booth:

mario_maker_leak.jpg

This would have to be a very elaborate staging/Photoshop to be fake. And if there was one thing that could both print money and bring more exposure to the eShop... well, I guess it would be a full-fledged-but-eShop-exclusive Zelda, but this is pretty good, too. The Animal Crossing Villager, Pikachu, and Kirby posters are apprently using Smash Bros. art, which would make sense for a Smash Bros demo, but they all look like they're on silver platforms, which would be in line with NFC figure demos.

But would Smash Bros. art really be used for NFC stuff? And would this Mario Maker, which looks to be a level editor for SMB, really not be called Super Mario Maker, which would distinguish it from non-Super Mario stuff (unless that name was used later for Super Mario World editing :D)?

Calling indieszero as the dev if this is on Wii U. They already basically ported SMB with NES Remix 1/2.

Naruto Shippuden Ninja Storm Revolution better be a reveal or I'm gonna rage!
Naruto or Riot! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'm looking forward to Pokémon AS/OR. Aside from that, I want to see gameplay (I don't care anymore about the logic or deepth of the story) from Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and hear and/or see something about Sleeping Dogs: Triad Wars.
Seeing something more than a teaser about Mass Effect 4 would be great.
That's all.

PS: Assassin's Creed...yeah, I'm still waiting for a "Jackdaw Edition" for the PS3 and in the best of options, one that includes the HD version of Liberation but judging from Watch_Dogs' "next-gen" I'm just expecting dissapointment and lies from Ubisoft, so they can just burn in hell without their precious money...Just saying. U_U

Well after today's CoroCoro leak, I don't think we'll be getting much at E3 that we didn't already get today (I was honestly expecting not to see CoroCoro until after E3, this is ridiculously early). I want to see some ORAS gameplay, but I'm not expecting much else. Besides that, I'm especially curious about what Nintendo and Microsoft are doing game wise because Nintendo needs to step their game up with Wii U games, and Microsoft needs to step up their game library in general (something that isn't a dudebro shooter or Forza would be nice). Regardless, I'll be watching all of the conferences except EA to see what each company intends to do game wise.

For those of you who unable to attend the event (sucks to suck), Twitch will be streaming everything from the very beginning.

http://www.twitch.tv/team/e3

Also, The Witcher 3. Only game that really looks "next-gen". Hype.

I'd like to see more third-party titles get revealed for the Wii U and 3DS at E3 this year, but knowing that Nintendo is mainly for first-party titles nowadays leaves me inclined to believe otherwise. People tend to forget that If it wasn't for third-party titles, Nintendo wouldn't be the video game juggernaut that it is today and they were doing great with that up until the original Wii in 2007 but stopped going into the Wii U and their handheld devices.

For those that own a Sony and Microsoft console, 90% of the games you can get on those consoles you can get on PC and Steam. There was always a time throughout history when there was a true reason to own a console, they were more convenient and there would even be third-party games that were console exclusives which nowadays eventually get released for the PC and Steam. Times have changed, and you got to give Nintendo credit on this since they give you an experience you can't get anywhere else on PC and Steam.

As time moves on and technology progresses it's much cheaper to make the next Gen consoles like PC's but with the consoles themselves the convenience is getting lost because they make them do so much while you're spending more money to get big versions of those titles when you can get them on PC and Steam for much cheaper. Consoles just keep getting more expensive with each passing generation due to new technologies being added while it's much cheaper to play on PC and Steam, heck I stopped buying consoles after the XBOX 360 and my last full gaming experience on a console was on the PS2.

As much as it pains me to say this I believe that we've reached a point in the gaming industry where PC's are outperforming Consoles, especially when you look into the ease of being able to ROM your own video games online for free especially playing games on an emulator. It's illegal but it just goes to show that the same transition the music industry went through in the last decade is happening right now with the gaming industry where gamers don't want to pay $30-40 retail on a game when they'd rather get it for cheap for the amount you'd purchase a song on iTunes. You'd have a situation where a game's budget isn't tied to it's cost, it'd be like purchasing a Triple A title for $1.99 or less instead of $30-40 retail price at your local GameStop or Wal-Mart.

Card Slinger J said:
I'd like to see more third-party titles get revealed for the Wii U and 3DS at E3 this year, but knowing that Nintendo is mainly for first-party titles nowadays leaves me inclined to believe otherwise. People tend to forget that If it wasn't for third-party titles, Nintendo wouldn't be the video game juggernaut that it is today and they were doing great with that up until the original Wii in 2007 but stopped going into the Wii U and their handheld devices.

There's nothing Nintendo can do to win back third parties short of dropping the Gamepad optional, which Nintendo is not willing to do. Third parties simply do not like the complexity of the Gamepad or the inferior tech to the PS4/One, and neither of those things are going to change, so the Wii U will just have to live with minimal third party support.

If Nintendo is ever going to turn the Wii U's fortunes around, it'll be through stronger first party content. The current lineup is just too unimpressive to justify getting one at this point.

Nintendo can only do so much with first-party content that they need new IP's to get their brand across. Instead they keep rehashing the old IP's without introducing new one's cause any risk they take would apparently hurt them financially even though they have enough money to last themselves until 2052.

Card Slinger J said:
Nintendo can only do so much with first-party content that they need new IP's to get their brand across. Instead they keep rehashing the old IP's without introducing new one's cause any risk they take would apparently hurt them financially even though they have enough money to last themselves until 2052.

Well next gen, if they're smart they'll make their consoles more third party friendly, because it's become pretty clear that they can't support their consoles by thesmelves. IP wise I think they're more or less fine, they have most of their bases covered, but they can only make so many games with the development resources that they have, and we've seen how minimal their output has become without third parties (thanks to the switch to HD development, games take much more time and resources to make). But none of that can change until they release their next console, it pretty much needs to be designed from the ground up to be something that third parties will accept.

Maybe Nintendo should either stick with releasing software for PC and Steam or release a console that covers all other aspects of entertainment not just games in general similar to the XBOX One and Amazon Fire TV. If PC and Steam really is the future of gaming despite people like John Carmack and Palmer Luckey convincing us that Virtual Reality is the future of gaming instead, then Nintendo and their competitors seem better off mainly in software over hardware.

Gaming Addiction will become much worse If everyone has access to Virtual Reality devices like the Oculus Rift and Project Morpheus because then gamers will no longer be able to distinguish between fantasy and reality compared to how we traditionally play video games. Also as MatPat put it in one of his last episodes of Game Theory on YouTube, gaming is becoming too immersive and we need to ask ourselves just how immersed in gaming we want to be that feels normal to us that's not in the same vision that Palmer Luckey shares with the Oculus Rift.

New Tomb Raider game announced. Lara Croft & the Temple of Osiris will be revealed at E3.

It is an isometric game and will be the sequel to Guardian of Light. It is not the sequel to the recently rebooted Tomb Raider game.

thood said:
Honestly, Hoenn is my least favorite generation. I'm not saying it's bad (I'd give it 4/5 stars) it's just I don't think it's better than Gen I, II, IV, V, or VI. I think because R/S/E was like the transition between G/S/C, the best Pokemon games ever created IMO, and D/P/P, the first Pokemon game for the DS systems. Because it was a transition, it was kinda meh to me compared to the games before and after it. Maybe with these new 3D models, enhanced graphics, new music (better keep the trumpets or it's not Hoenn), and I'd like a different storyline (Like how FR/LG was different from R/G/B, I might come to really like Hoenn.

That has to be the longest non sequitur I have ever seen.

Rusty Sticks said:
New Tomb Raider game announced. Lara Croft & the Temple of Osiris will be revealed at E3.

It is an isometric game and will be the sequel to Guardian of Light. It is not the sequel to the recently rebooted Tomb Raider game.

Goddammit, rusty, you had me on the first paragraph. You should add Psych! at the bottom or something, make sure no one else suffers that bitter disappointment.

Mirror's Edge 2 confirmed to be showed off at EA's conference.

The Last Guardian is virtually guaranteed to make an appearance this year given IGN-cancellation fiasco.

And last but not least, he's a leaked trailer for Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (watch it soon, Konami's been going full-on copyright on this).

Halo 2 Anniversary confirmed...but it's part of the Halo: The Master Chief Collection! 1080p, 60fps! All 4 main series games on one disc! All 4 separate multiplayer components attached!

e3-2014-halo-2-anniversary-cairo-station-chief-hero-spartan-117jpg-b684f4_610w.jpg

HOLY SHIIIIIT

Also you get access to the Halo 5 beta.

First conference done and it's obvious already who didn't win E3.

PG24 said:

No embarrassing moments.
No dance numbers.
No bad looking games.

Though nothing outright spectacular. Oh well. Nothing went wrong, and it truly was all about games. Good enough for me.

PG24 said:

I agree, they delivered on their promise of more games, but the games that they showed felt a bit underwhelming. I will admit that CoD looked mildly interesting, although maybe not enough for me to want to buy the game. The only game I really liked was Sunset Overdrive, I didn't really think much of it before, but now that they showed the gameplay in action, it looks neat, I wasn't expecting parkour elements in the game. Scalebound, Phantom Dust, and Ori and the Blind Forest also mildly interest me, but I'd like to see more gameplay before I decide whether or not I want them. And how insulting was it that Conker is relegated to a Project Spark character? That just goes to show how little Microsoft really cares about the franchise, which is sad because it was a good one. Overall, Microsoft more or less fulfilled their expectations, but in a fairly minimalist way. I give their conference a C.

Back