BW/BW2 Official Black and White Discussion Thread

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
Hello everyone!
As we probably all know, there's just one more week before Black and White are released in the US. I am completely pumped to finally get White Version, and I'm sure a lot of you are as well.

As, again, I'm sure you're all aware, there has been a ton of negativity around these games. I would say there is an overwhelmingly positive reaction to the games, but unfortunately people voice their negative opinions more than positive ones.

Because of this, I have decided that for the last week until Black and White come out, I want to post a question every day on this thread about your personal opinions on certain aspects of the games. I am looking for your honest opinion, and I know there will be negative ones. I am completely okay with you posting negative reactions or opinions, but PLEASE do it intelligently. If I see "because they suck" in a post, I'll probably literally lose some brain cells, and I will certainly call you out. I want to hear your honest opinions and WHY you have them. I'll be posting answers to my own questions as well to fire up the debate.

The first question I will post here will be tomorrow. After that, six more will follow leading up to the release of Black and White.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on this. :)

Thanks, God bless.
-BlueEyedSteelix

ilovemypikachu

The World's Only Teddiursa Fan
RE: The Final Week

I think this game will be amazing! With all the amazing graphics and cool features, this game is going to be good. However, I will also miss the old versions like Gold and Silver, but they have been reborn into HeartGold and SoulSilver and that is also really good :) sure there are a lot of pokemon now, but it's all new and different and exciting, and I just cannot wait until my preorder of White comes in! :D

TheOtterBoy

Open Sesame Tofu!

Aaahhhh....Finally,just one more week! :D Lol,I think it will be kinda weird seeing people who didnt know about BW before they were realeased in Japan,since most of us were there at that time when BW was just being discussed in Japan...
But really,I CANT wait.Eben thought we just need to wait a week more :O

catutie

Ahhhhh back.....er....kind of

i just noticed it was next sunday like 2 hours ago lol. i was like wait...its the 26th there are only 28 days...thus...we have 6 days remaining which mean OMG ITS NEXT WEEK...been waiting a year and a half for this day to come and now its just another week away. AND IM GETTING MY CELEBI THEN TO SO I CAN FACE GIOVANNI...exciting times.

PokeFanJosh

Nidoking Master :)

I won't be getting black and white because they suck.

Na I just don't have time for it anymore aha. They do look interesting though and eventually I may come around and get it but not anytime soon. BTW does it also get released in Australia on the same day or what?

Emperor_Gaius

Formerly mlouden03

I'm getting B and W and I have jpn Black as well..though I rare play jpn black as I lost my first copy and decided to buy another (I was at the 4th gym and had some awesome help on a wifi chat and someone gave me eggs of the pokemon i needed for my eventual team..I lost that game and didn't bother to play the second one like at all lol)

I think some of the english names are deplorable (Throh..Really..? was "Chuk" taken?)I like the only unova pokemon aspect so we get a taste of all of the new pokemon

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait

Everyone, there are only 7 more days until Pokemon Black and White are released. Here is Day 7's question:

What do you think of the Unova starters and their evolutions?

Here is my personal answer. I encourage you all to leave your own!

I love the starters. When I first saw them, I was skeptical that I would be impressed by their final and middle evolutions. However, my opinions have changed drastically from what I initially thought.

Snivy, Servine and Serperior are great, however, they are my least favorite. I really do like all of them, but I like the other two evolution chains more. I think that all of their names fit very well, and why some people think that "Serperior" is simply a rip-off of Rhyperior, I think that they are wrong. Serperior gives the final evolution a sense of dominance and power, as any final evolution starter should.

Tepig, Pignite and Emboar is another great evolution chain, however, I am very disappointed. Why, you may ask? Because this is, once again, a Fire/Fighting final evolution. Now, there are three purely Water type starter evolution chains as well, but I just feel that Fire needs to have more variety. We have a Water/Ground final evolution, a Water/Steel final evolution, Grass/Poison, Grass/Ground, yet we have three Fire/Fighting, a purely Fire, and a Fire/Flying final evolution. I am, by no means, complaining, yet I do think it would be cool to perhaps see a Fire/Ghost, Poison, or maybe even Psychic somewhere down the line. I still love the three Unova Fire starters, though. I think that all of their names are very cool, especially Emboar. It, again, gives a sense of power, which is great for a starter final evolution to hold.

Third, and my favorite, we have Oshawott, Dewott and Samurott. This evolution chain ROCKS. These Pokemon are BY FAR some of my favorite in this generation. I love all of their names, especially Oshawott. Not only does it combine three aspects of the Pokemon itself, but it sound very cool. I am thrilled that this evolution chain reminds me a lot of Mudkip, Marshtomp and Swampert in the sense that the first Pokemon looks very similar to the last, while the middle one has, in my opinion, a sense of growing up or developing. I'm very happy with Samurott, it looks, sounds, and IS beastly. I truly didn't have very high hopes with Oshawott, but Game Freak really showed me up. I'm thrilled with this evolution chain and will definitely be starting out with Oshawott.

All in all, these starters rock. I'm very happy with the Grass and Water starters specifically, and I definitely like the Fire ones as well.

I look forward to reading your thoughts. Thanks! :)

safariblade

Video Gamer
Advanced Member

Serperior looks really nice, clean, and most importantly, different from past Grass starters. The chain is nice, and the names sound good. All I could ask for is something besides pure Grass.

Emboar disappoints me simply because, like you said, another fire/fight. He looks ok, although I would have liked a quadruped better since it IS a boar. Plus he's too fat.

Samurott is definitely my favorite. Oshawott is bleh, but ends up looking super cool. I won't even complain about the monotype simply because the Pokemon is so unique looking. Nintendo/GameFreak always do a good job with water starter designs in my opinion.

catutie

i like the starters now...at first i was like WTH IS OSHOWOTT?!?!?!?! but now he is fine...but i have liked snivy from the start.

its disapointing that we yet again have a fire/fighting final evo...COME ON it could have been fire/ground (pigs mud....you get it) and then both of the other starters were only one type WHAT they took a step backward....why?

order that i like the starters final evos
1 serperior (the name sucks...)
2 samurott (eeeeh the name is ok but he looks great)
3 emboar (why....WHY ANOTHER FIRE/FIGHTING)

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait

Serperior looks really nice, clean, and most importantly, different from past Grass starters. The chain is nice, and the names sound good. All I could ask for is something besides pure Grass.

Emboar disappoints me simply because, like you said, another fire/fight. He looks ok, although I would have liked a quadruped better since it IS a boar. Plus he's too fat.

Samurott is definitely my favorite. Oshawott is bleh, but ends up looking super cool. I won't even complain about the monotype simply because the Pokemon is so unique looking. Nintendo/GameFreak always do a good job with water starter designs in my opinion.
Thanks for the thoughtful response! I also agree that Game Freak does a great job with their Water starter designs. Blastoise has always and always will be my favorite starter. The originality and real freshness they put into Water starters generation after generation is just awesome (although I did start with Torterra in Diamond... turtles FTW!).
the name sucks...
Please elaborate.

thefleeee

Uber N00b

This set of starters reminds me of the starters from Blue and Red. The starters back then and the starters now are the only ones in which the Grass and Water starters fully evolved forms stayed single type and the Fire starters final form was dual type.

XieRH

Aspiring Trainer

Im amazed how time is flying, honestly. I'm following the BW countdown on tumblr and with each update I still can't believe it was just not that long ago we first saw Zorua just over a year ago

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait

Im amazed how time is flying, honestly. I'm following the BW countdown on tumblr and with each update I still can't believe it was just not that long ago we first saw Zorua just over a year ago
I'm completely with you on this one, XieRH. I took a second to stop and think about how long it's actually been since Black and White were announced. Honestly, just thinking about it gets me even more excited. I really do think these games will be well-remembered.

I hope, I just REALLY REALLY hope that you can trade Pokemon from Black and White to the 3DS Pokemon games. TRADE, not transfer.

XieRH

Aspiring Trainer

Heh, I'm more excited about waiting for the Platinum arc on pokespe to finally get going (*cough*wayoverdue*cough*). BW... I'm getting more of a calm before storm feeling. Even then I already have a pretty good preview of the storm so it's not like sudden explosion of new content.

Truthfully though. BW announcement wasn't really that long ago. A year ago is pretty fast (and normal) for games announced. I even remember Zoroak was the first Gen V pokemon I ever drew, close to the announcement date.

catutie

we already have ryperior....we dont need serperior lol. and as many have said smugleaf was a WAY better name. it should have been the stuck up pokemon rofl

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait

we already have ryperior....we don't need serperior lol. and as many have said smugleaf was a WAY better name. it should have been the stuck up pokemon rofl
First of all, we have so many Pokemon names that sound alike I'm not even going to type them out. Go on Serebii and you'll find a common trend of last suffixes or close names.
Also, I really hope you're joking... Smugleaf is literally one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

ilovemypikachu

The World's Only Teddiursa Fan

Starters? For me, I think the Fire-types needed more work, again because the Fire/Fighting combination seems overused. I agree that they shouldve been Fire/Ground since pigs cool themselves off in the mud, the ground.....I hope it makes sense to everyone else! Oshawott is adorable, and the final evolution is beast, but I like the idea and the look of the Grass-type better. Serperior just looks graceful and pretty....but competitive-wise and strategy-wise, I would go with Oshawott.

Mew the source of all

Just keep on trying!

I love the starters, I initially chose Tepig for my jap White, and this time I'm having a tough choice between Oshawott and Snivy, but I'm likely going for Snivy. To be honest though, this is the first gen I've like all of the starters, First gen I didn't really care for squirtle, second gen didn't like Meganium, third gen was Blaziken, and fourth gen was Empoleon.

This gen is all around likable with starters, even if the Fire/Fighting type thing is a tad old it fits and Emboar takes a different approach to it anyway. Samurott is more balanced and looks awesome, and Serperior is fast. The designs are all unique and interesting and ultimately fantastic. The second stages are bland as always except Dewott, who not only has an awsome name (do what!?), but he also looks awesome. Snivy is smug and elegant, Oshawott is cute, and Tepig is also cute while just cool.

The best thing is now that BW are about to be released, now the VGC is on the horizon and I just can't wait for it.