Contest November 2022 CaC: Scarlet & Violet (All Results Up!)

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Friendly reminder for those of you who intend to binge Scarlet and Violet when they release: Don't forget about cac! Make sure you take a break to get your submission in, and remember that nothing from gen 9 is allowed this month!

Falling Skies

The Traveler
Allow me to present my entry.

Accelgor HP: 90 [G]
616.png
Stage 1: Evolves from Shelmet

accelgor.png

NO. 617 Shell Out Pokémon HT: 2'7" WT: 55.8 lbs.
Ability: Quick Duplication
When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon during your turn, you may search your deck for up to 3 Accelgor and put them onto your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck.

[G] Spike Chaining 30
Move an Energy from this Pokémon to 1 of your Benched Pokémon. Then, you may switch this Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon. If that Pokémon has not used an attack during this turn, it may use an attack (if this attack Knocks Out your opponent's Active Pokémon, you may attack again after your opponent chooses a new Active Pokémon).

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]

Discarding its shell made it nimble. To keep itself from dehydrating, it wraps its body in bands of membrane.

I'll be perfectly honest, I haven't enjoyed the PTCG since Astral Radiance and Palkia released. That is not an excuse for my lacklustre performances since then, but it's been difficult for me to come up with any really good ideas. I quite like this card, though. First, my references:

- Accelgor FST for base stats
- Drizzile SSH
- Kirlia CHR
- Pelipper SSH
- Torchic PRC

I'm fairly certain this attack is completely new, so anything in the third sentence I just tried to be as clear as possible on what the attack does. I think this card is strong but balanced by how much bench space it takes up for maximum impact (especially since Radiant Greninja can kill two of these, necessitating a manaphy as well), but if you can make it work a free +120 damage is very strong. Surely not too strong since my last card's 120 damage was considered too weak, but strong since you can follow it up with a finisher afterwards. This card also pairs with Accelgor FST, which was completely unintentional but very funny since it can be used to do 120 for G after the end of your chain. that could maybe be fun.

aiurjordan

Aspiring Trainer
Image Entry

contest_seaking (2).png

I was going for a middle of the line, utility V Pokémon, in this case a Seaking V which can allow some water decks to tech for their Electric Weakness. Seaking's ability did not have a true reference, but I borrowed from several places to try to get the wording correct. I chose this Pokémon both because it's coloring fit the entry theme, and there is no Seaking V, so let's make one!

I referenced KricketuneV BST and Sylveon SWSH and drew heavy inspiration from Lumineon for this card, even though its ability is totally different.

A modest 210HP should be enough to withstand all but the toughest basic V attacks, as Seaking is usually a fairly bulky Pokémon I thought this was fitting.
Lightning rod is a powerful ability but difficult to execute, it might be strong enough to include a possible 1-of in Water Heavy decks, though Conductive Horn is a potentially very efficient attack, seaking's difficulty in setting this up keeps it balanced. I felt like the set-up was a little more difficult than most (Only triggering from Basic Lightning Energies) so I added a unrestricted Energy reattachment to Seaking's attack to fit the "Powering up" idea of the Conductive Horn and add slightly more utility to the Pokémon, this can be used to either retreat Seaking while leaving it set up with at least 1 Energy or pulling a valuable special energy energy out of the discard such as V Guard energy, Lucky Energy, or Powerful energy, the latter of which could potentially put Seaking into the territory of OHKO most V Pokémon and even threatening a VSTAR or two if it has a tool attached.

I did contemplate a possible version of this card which could trigger from your OWN electric Pokémon damage also triggering Seaking but due to the additional complexity and low amount of Pokémon that actually hurt themselves and see play, I chose to not include it. (Plus it felt a little strange having Seaking redirect self-damage).

In a less combo-ing fashion it can also simply be used to fetch a basic energy for use with Exp. Share to accelerate attachment while providing a KO trade.

I chose to give it a [L] Resistance to fit the theme of Lightning Rod as it's ability, a single retreat keeps it flexible enough to compete with other V's that might fill a tech slot.

I purposely chose to include (D.A) in the Illus. signature to make sure Cynderela2001 is properly attributed since they are not an artist which I have seen before in the discord, and they gave express written permission to use this artwork.

This was my first custom card contest, and I had a lot of fun, learned a lot!

Cradilyfan1512

Aspiring Trainer
Entry
Gengar VSTAR 270 HP Darkness

VSTAR Evolves from Gengar V

[Ability]: Disintegrating Shadows

If this Pokémon has 5 or more damage counters attached to it, you may discard the top 2 cards of your opponent’s deck once per turn. (You can not apply this ability more than once per turn.)

[D][D][C]: Gaseous Claw 70+

For every damage counter attached to this Pokémon, this attack does 10 more damage. The opponent’s active Pokémon is also poisoned.

VSTAR Power

[D][C]: Starstruck Gaze 20

Put 5 of your opponent’s cards in the lost zone.

Weakness: Fighting x2

Resistance: None

Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]
Honestly there are some good decks out there I made this for. Mew VMAX and Lunarock are some things this hard counters. It could be used in lots of different decks as well.

Buddy2707

Aspiring Trainer
Entry

Blaziken – Fire – HP180
Stage 1 – Evolves from Combusken
[RAPID STRIKE]

NO. 257 Blaze Pokémon HT: 6'3" WT: 114.6 lbs.

[R] Focus Strike 110
This attack deals [F] damage in addition to its existing type.

[R][C] Blazing Steps 80+
You may switch this Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon. During your next turn, this Pokémon's Blazing Steps Attack does 80 more damage than it did this turn.

Weakness: Water (x2) --- Resistance: None --- Retreat: [C]
Blaziken has incredibly strong legs—it can easily clear a 30-story building in one leap.

I have always seen cards that allow damage to increase the second time you use that attack in a row [Like Metagross VMAX], however I have always wondered what could happen if that could stack up to infinity. I allowed it the switch so that Blaziken could use the protection due to it being a one-prizer Pokémon that didn't get its power creep like the multi-prizers, and also because it works with the attacks name.

The first attack went through several iterations, as I had first wanted it to be an ability. I originally thought of going with Solgaleo's Rush In ability [From Celebrations], however I felt that would make it work too well with Blazing Steps (it only felt necessary that a free switch didn't also get a free switch back as well as an attack bonus), I also tried out an ability that if Blaziken would be knocked out, you could have one of your benched Pokémon get knocked out again (regardless of the damage the original attack did) but was ruled out again because of its strength.
I finally decided to go with a Dual-Type attack to match the other Blaziken card that was made in Darkness Ablaze, so normal and lightning types beware!

Finally, I made Blaziken Rapid Strike simply because it seemed fitting. I also wanted people to be able to use Mustard with it, but since it is a Rapid Strike, getting it into play that way will be a little bit difficult.

References:
- Blaziken Darkness Ablaze
- Flareon Ancient Origins
- Metagross VMAX Battle Styles
- Solgaleo Celebrations

1668997842500.png
When OF Palkia was first revealed from its Japanese set, I really wanted some brand new approach to stadiums, but instead we got Star Portal.
So here is my take on Palkia VSTAR.

Due to it being an incredibly powerful Pokemon that can control all of space, I also gave it Lost Zone powers as well, especially since there is no VSTAR that sends a Pokemon to the Lost Zone. Its attack also has an option to spread damage- at the expense of both players, which can create some interesting effects- especially in the mirror matchup. The spread was originally just plain damage, but due to wording length and the wonky Double Turbo Energy interaction and some advice, it was changed to what it is now.

Its VSTAR power is what had been in my mind before the creation of this card- the ability to mix and match stadiums is something that only the god of space can achieve, and the potential for an ability like this, especially in Expanded is boundless! I had originally wanted it to be a stadium from your deck, one from your discard and one from your opponent's discard pile, however the VSTAR Power box has enough text as is.

References:
- Origin Forme Palkia VSTAR Astral Radiance
- Lost City Lost Origin
- Mismagius Silver Tempest
- Lost Vacuum Lost Origin

I will make more gimmicky cards like this, you have been warned.
I hope you enjoy reading what I enjoyed making!

Kaleidophoenix

Reborn from the flames of glass and ash
KPCAC14_Tsareena_VMAX.png
Single Strike Style Mustard BST #134 "Search your deck for a Single Strike Pokémon and put it onto your Bench."
Wormadam BRS #077 "This attack does 10 more damage for each Pokémon in your discard pile."
Tsareena V is one of my favorite cards that is just not good. That is in part due to the fact that it's attack leaves it vulnerable to respond KOs after it discards its entire Bench. Enter Tsareena VMAX. It's Ability is able to be triggered off of Tsareena V's attack, and allows any Grass Pokémon to be fetched from the deck to support it. This allows Tsareena's to be chained more easily, while also giving Tsareena VMAX a devastating late game attack, provided you have enough Grass Pokémon in the bin. It's Ability is also able to be triggered off of Volo's effect, a niche Supporter that suddenly becomes much better. If Tsareena isn't being OHKO'd, you can retreat it, Volo to your next attacker, and continue attacking. Lots of interesting gameplay options.

I'm quite pleased with how this one turned out. Even if the art took 15 hours longer than I wanted it to (that is mouse-drawn mosaic art, and it took forever). Can you spot all the hidden Pokémon?

Nyan

She/They
Gonna have to drop out of this one. Personal issues came up, ran out of time in the month

Good luck other entrants!

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Hopefully next year, we will be able to see what the Generation IX Pokémon will look like in the Trading Card Game. That I do look forward to come the New Year.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Hope you guys have been enjoying the actual Scarlet and Violet! You've still got a few days left to post your entries, so if you're like me and still haven't even gone to the drawing board yet, do your best to submit something.

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
Looks like someone already did Gengar, but here's my entry:

Gengar ex - Psychic - HP 330
Stage 2 - Evolves from Haunter

Ability: Creep from the Deep
Once during your turn, if this Pokémon is in your discard pile and if you have the necessary Energy cards in your discard pile to use this Pokémon's attacks, this Pokémon may attack instead of your Active Pokémon. (The cards stay in your discard pile.) You can't use this Ability if you have no Active Pokémon or if 1 of your Pokémon used Creep from the Deep Ability this turn.

[P][C] Sinister Screams
Choose 1:
- Move all Special Conditions from your Active Pokémon to your opponent's Active Pokémon.
- Your opponent discards the top card of their deck and 2 cards from their hand.
- If you have used your VSTAR Power, flip 2 coins. If both of them are heads, turn your opponent's VSTAR marker face down. (This counts as your opponent using their VSTAR Power.)

Weakness: [D]x2
Resistance: [F]-30
Pokémon ex rule: When your Pokémon ex is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

I forgot who, but someone had the idea of your Pokemon in the discard being able to attack. I made it happen with this Gengar card!
The EX mechanic returns in Scarlet/Violet TCG so I made this card fit the CaC theme better. The HP is on par with Magnezone ex (another stage 2) that was teased in the TCG reveal.

Using the Ability, if Gengar attacks from the discard, then your Active mon cannot attack. Even with multiple Gengars in the discard, only 1 can use the Ability per turn. Conversely, if you attack normally with your Active mon (Gengar or not), then no Gengar can use this Ability.

Not much to say about the attack. Denying your opponent from using their Vstar might be OP, but it’s balanced by 25% success rate and you’re using up your attack for the turn. I couldn't list them in proper bullet points, I hope it's ok.
That's all for now, I hope you like the card! :)

Kaleidophoenix

Reborn from the flames of glass and ash
Hisuian Electrode – [G] – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Hisuian Voltorb

NO. 101 Sphere Pokémon HT: 3’11” WT: 156.5 lbs.

[] Bomb Saver
Until the end of your next turn, if this Pokémon would be Knocked Out by damage from an attack, flip a coin. If heads, this Pokémon is not Knocked Out, and its remaining HP becomes 10.

[G][G] Chloroblast 190
Move all Energy from this Pokémon to your Benched Pokémon in any way you like.. This Pokémon does 90 damage to itself.

Weakness: [R]x2
Resistance:
The tissue on the surface of its body is curiously similar in composition to an Apricorn. When irritated, this Pokémon lets loose an electric current equal to 20 lightning bolts.
Hariyama FST#143 "If this Pokémon would be Knocked Out by damage from an attack, flip a coin. If heads, this Pokémon is not Knocked Out, and its remaining HP becomes 10."
Spiritomb BRS#089 "Until the end of your next turn..."
Honchkrow LOR#115 "Move all Energy from this Pokémon to your Benched Pokémon in any way you like."
I don't have many notes for this, but I wanted to explore some other ways of utilizing Energy than just pure accel. Bomb Saver is a neat little attack to stall for time/set up Chloroblast for next turn.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
3Xb9fm0.png

It's no secret that I love Ledian and am always down to see powerful cards featuring it, so once I realized I could use this Pokemon for this month, I had to do it.

Ledian cards have almost always been universally bad, but there's no reason that has to remain the case. Pokemon like Galarian Zigzagoon and Lumineon currently have powerful cards that are commonly used. It's time for Ledian to get its time in the light.

Five Star Service gives you an extra use of certain VSTAR Powers at the cost of your life. VSTAR Power attacks that would surely break the game wide open like Giratina VSTAR's Star Requiem or Origin Forme Dialga VSTAR's Star Chronos are ineligible for just that reason. And while VSTAR Power Abilities are strong, there aren't any that would be outright game breaking from a second use. That's not to say that all of the VSTAR Power Abilities are tame. Powers like Origin Forme Palkia VSTAR's Star Portal, Regidrago VSTAR's Legacy Star, or, most notably, Arceus VSTAR's Starbirth, are definitely some juggernaut Abilities, and would probably be the most common uses of Ledian's Five Star Service.

The point is that getting a second or even third use of your VSTAR Power can open up new strategies that you wouldn't have had before, and not every deck will have access to. I think of it like when Arceus VSTAR was first released - Trinity Nova's ability to attach 3 of any basic Energy to a single target in a single attack meant you could pair it with literally any Pokemon V out there. This saw an uptick in previously "dead" Pokemon VMAX/VSTAR by giving them reliable acceleration.

Imagine getting to use Hisuian Goodra VSTAR's Moisture Star multiple times in a game in order to stay alive, in the same way that the old Regigigas LV.X used to do. Or being able to sack Ledian for an extra use of Leafeon VSTAR's Ivy Star VSTAR Power and gust up a multiprize threat. Or Hisuian Samurott VSTAR's Moon Cleave Star VSTAR Power a second time to kill off an annoying Bench sitter like Manaphy or soften up a VSTAR to put them in range for the Merciless Blade KO.

What stops Ledian from being super busted is the fact that you have to give up a Prize every time you want to use it, and it's hard limited to once per turn. Yes, you can get an extra two cards with Starbirth, but is it worth messing with your Prize count to do so? It essentially turns VSTARs into 3-Prize liabilities, which can backfire on you if you misuse it or your opponent can come back.

The Ability name is a play on Ledian's role as a support mon in the games as a support Pokemon (giving your team access to normally once-per-game powers certainly qualifies as service rated five stars), the way VSTAR Powers all have Star in the name (although none with 3-word names have Star as the second word), and Ledian's classification as the Five Star Pokemon.

The attack actually was thought out a little, I figured the Ability was good enough reason to use this card and it didn't need a busted or even good attack to go with it.

References:

- Mew VMAX (choose 1 of your [Pokemon's] [things]) (I went with this wording over Regidrago VSTAR or Incineroar SIT because it picks from a card actually in play. There is as of yet no written distinction between VSTAR Powers that are attacks or Abilities but I felt that "VSTAR Power Abilities" was accurate)
- Mimikyu CEC (use the effect of that [power] as the effect of this [thing].) (Ability copying has never been done before, but copying non-attacks always has one copy the "effect of" the thing being copied.)
- Misty & Lorelei (even if you have used your [once per game thing])
- Electrode VIV (If you [do a thing], this Pokemon is Knocked Out.)

There is no way to know which of the three last lines should come first because none of them interact with each other and they all go in the same place. I decided to list them in what I thought was order of importance - being able to use the Ability at all, then the cost of having used the Ability, and then the hard limit of once per turn.

oh yeah the foil continues to stump me, I really hope SV goes back to galaxy foil as long as they're moving in the right direction by bringing back Pokemon-ex.

ThePigThatCriedRii

Aspiring Trainer
Noivern VSTAR
Pokémon - Dragon - 270 HP
VSTAR Pokémon - Evolves from Noivern V

NO. 715 Sound Wave Pokémon HT: 4'11" WT: 187.4 lbs.

[P][D][C]: Resonance Boom
Your opponent reveals their hand. This attack does 20 damage to each of your opponent's Pokémon for each Trainer card you find there.

VSTAR Power
[C]: Jamming Star
Until this Pokémon leaves play, it gains an Ability that has the effect "Your opponent can't play any Item cards from their hand."

Weakness: None
Retreat: None

VSTAR Rule: When your Pokémon VSTAR is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

doofisconfused

aspiring doof
Ledian-GX – Grass – HP150
Stage 1 – Evolves from Ledyba

Ability: Lucky Spots
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a basic Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you do, the next time you flip any number of coins for the effect of an attack, this turn choose heads or tails for the first coin flip.

[G][C] Lucky Comet Punch 50x
Flip 3 coins. This attack does 50 damage for each heads. If any of them are tails, your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Confused.

[G][G][C] Superstar Swift-GX 100
Flip a coin for each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. Discard a basic Energy from your opponent's Active Pokémon for each heads. *(You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)*

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: [C] [C]
Pokémon-GX rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

pory2tera (1).png
hello! i am very short on time tonight and i'll post my thoughts and such tomorrow (unless i'd get points off for that?) i was a LOT busier than i thought i'd be this november, and these cards are, sadly, a result of that! the image fake uses haunt's tera blanks and is geared towards the SwSh era. the art can be found here!

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
[VMAX] Yveltal VMAX HP330 [D]
Evolves from Yveltal V - Dynamax

Ability: Omen of Destruction
Once during your turn, when this Pokémon moves from your Bench to the Active Spot, you may put 1 damage counter on each Benched Pokémon (both yours and your opponent's). If you do, heal 10 damage from this Pokémon for each damage counter you placed in this way.

[D][D][D] Max Calamity 100+
You may discard any number of your Benched Pokémon. This attack does 40 more damage for each Benched Pokémon you discarded in this way. If you healed at least 100 damage from this Pokémon during this turn, you may also discard 1 Pokémon card form your hand as if it were 1 of your Benched Pokémon.

Weakness: [L]x2
Resistance: [F]-20
Retreat: [C][C]
VMAX Rule: When your Pokémon VMAX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 3 Prize cards.
-Wyrdeer V: moving to Active
-Palkia VSTAR: Benched Pokémon for both players
-Banette LOR: put vs placed damage counters
-Tsareena V: Despair Ray effect
-Emergency Jelly+Gardevoir V: jank healing condition
-Cramomatic: specific discard type
-Unidentified Fossil: Pretend to be on the Bench

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
That's a wrap on this round! Thanks for entering, and stay tuned for results at the end of the month!

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Text-Based Results

Some really great entries this month! As always, wording continues to be an issue that plagues many of your scores. Remember that you lose a point for every single mistake you make, no matter how minor. If you want to consistently score in the 40s and threaten the folks that consistently win, it's important to clean up that wording.

Remember that we have a Discord you can join to get help with your entry, day or night. We will be more than happy to help you out and teach you how to use pkmncards.com so you can help yourself. Getting proficient in using pkmncards's search function will do wonders, I promise.

Accelgor HP: 90 [G]
616.png
Stage 1: Evolves from Shelmet

accelgor.png

NOw. 617 Shell Out Pokémon HT: 2'7" WT: 55.8 lbs.
Ability: Quick Duplication
When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon during your turn, you may search your deck for up to 3 Accelgor and put them onto your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck.

[G] Spike Chaining 30
Move an Energy from this Pokémon to 1 of your Benched Pokémon. Then, you may switch this Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon. If that Pokémon has not used an attack during this turn, it may use an attack (if this attack Knocks Out your opponent's Active Pokémon, you may attack again after your opponent chooses a new Active Pokémon).

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance:

Discarding its shell made it nimble. To keep itself from dehydrating, it wraps its body in bands of membrane.

My Thoughts

Everything about this card is excellent.

It can be its own deck or support something stronger. As long as you have a single Grass Energy and a way to bring this out, you have what is essentially a free stack of Choice Belts on all your Pokemon. You can run any number of these in the deck and find success. Quick Duplication makes finding extra Accelgor painless. It strikes the perfect balance between viable single-Prize attacker, a support option, and total meme. I love everything about it.

Spike Chaining's Energy passing may toe the line of being overpowered, but Accelgor's weaknesses (reliance on Prizes, getting murked by Radiant Greninja, only being able to use Quick Duplication once without more Shelmet) balance out its strengths in a way that don't seem debilitating, especially since you can use any amount of Accelgor to augment your strategy.

Wording errors:
Spike Chaining
- Jumpluff EVS is a more current reference for this attack. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 20/20
(Congratulations for being the first person to earn this score from me. I am generally conservative when it comes to this category, but everything about this card hits the right notes. While Quick Duplication is something you would expect from an Accelgor, Spike Chaining's damage and effect allow a level of damage manipulation and strategy that takes this card head and shoulders above your standard X damage for number of Y in play effect you would typically see from a card like this. It may have taken three years, but I finally found a card that I feel is worthy of the full 20 points. I would not change anything about this card at all. It's perfect. Well done.)
Wording: 14/15
(I'm guessing you either forgot or didn't know about Jumpluff EVS since Omega Barrage is far more popular. It's especially painful because it's the only mistake you made, but you should still be immensely proud of your score despite this minor error.)
Believability/Playability: 15/15
(What really takes this card's playability over the top is that it doesn't have to be just an attacker or just a support Pokemon. Counts for this can vary depending entirely on the deck it's in, and you'll get mileage out of it no matter how many you run. The existence of Accelgor FST is the cherry on top, a sweet little bonus that is by no means required but is a welcome addition depending on your tastes. Again, excellent work.)
Total: 49/50
Gengar VSTAR 270 HP Darkness

VSTAR Evolves from Gengar V

[Ability]: Disintegrating Shadows

If this Pokémon has 5 or more damage counters attached to it, you may discard the top 2 cards of your opponent’s deck once per turn. (You can not apply this ability more than once per turn.)

[D][D][C]: Gaseous Claw 70+

For every damage counter attached to this Pokémon, this attack does 10 more damage. The opponent’s active Pokémon is also poisoned.

VSTAR Power

[D][C]: Starstruck Gaze 20

Put 5 of your opponent’s cards in the lost zone.

Weakness: Fighting x2

Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]

My Thoughts

Welcome to CaC, friend! Always glad to someone other than the usual suspects throw their hat into the ring.

Generally speaking, I like this fake. Distintegrating Shadows is a great Ability that has synergy with Starstruck Gaze. Hard limiting it to once a turn and requiring a significant damage investment in order to use it in the first place creates a much-needed balance for such a powerful effect. Gaseous Claw is very weak initially but severely punishes anything that dares to hit into you. Starstruck Gaze can win games on its own and is powerful besides. The card itself has no real balance issues, even if the attacks aren't particularly unique or interesting, and that's great.

With that said, the card greatly suffers from practical issues. Your wording is all over the place, and Pokemon VSTAR don't have two attacks plus a VSTAR Power. We aim for realism in CaC, so the more you go against the grain here, the more your Believability score will be hurt. Props for remembering the accented é though!

Use real cards as references for your attacks so you know how to word them correctly. If you want help in this area, we'd be glad to assist you in our Discord. You can get as much help as you'd like before submitting your entry. You seem to have the fundamentals down - now you just need to apply some polish so your card doesn't get weighed down by wording mistakes, which can completely tank anyone's score and detract from their otherwise interesting entry.

Wording errors:
Disintegrating Shadows
- This requires a complete rewrite: "This Pokemon must have 5 or more damage counters on it in order to use this Ability. Once during your turn, you may discard the top 2 cards of your opponent's deck. You can't use more than 1 Distintegrating Shadows Ability each turn." [-5 points]
Gaseous Claw
- "This attack does 10 more damage for each damage counter on this Pokemon. Your opponent's Active Pokemon is now Poisoned." [-3 points]
Starstruck Gaze
- Always capitalize Lost Zone. [-1 point]
- Where are these 5 cards coming from? The hand? The deck? The discard pile? The binder? Gotta specify here. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 15/20
(Requiring damage in order to use an Ability is unique, but this is a pretty average card, all things considered.)
Wording: 6/15
(Get help from our Discord! pkmncards.com is also a great resource for checking wording.)
Believability/Playability: 12/15
(The Ability + attack + VSTAR Power wouldn't happen. Gaseous Claw is also really weak initially; I think you could have increased the damage a bit without compromising the integrity of the card.)
Total: 33/50
Blaziken – Fire – HP180
Stage 1 – Evolves from Combusken
[RAPID STRIKE]

NO. 257 Blaze Pokémon HT: 6'3" WT: 114.6 lbs.

[R] Focus Strike 110
This attack deals [F] damage in addition to its existing type.

[R][C] Blazing Steps 80+
You may switch this Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon. During your next turn, this Pokémon's Blazing Steps Attack does 80 more damage than it did this turn.

Weakness: Water (x2) --- Resistance: None --- Retreat: [C]
Blaziken has incredibly strong legs—it can easily clear a 30-story building in one leap.

My Thoughts

I like your thought process with this fake. Unfortunately, while I understand the intent, I have to judge your card based on how it's written, and the way it's written, the effect of Blazing Steps would get erased the minute you went to the Bench since all effects of attacks go away when the target Pokemon leaves the Active Spot. I would have written the attack using a counter, which would not go away when Benched, and then do 80 + 80 for every counter on Blaziken.

Blazing Steps seems like an afterthought, though, with how powerful Focus Strike is. For a single Energy, 110 damage with no drawback or requirement is a little excessive. I'd drop the damage or add an extra Energy to the cost.

Wording errors:
General
- Wrong Stage (2, not 1) [-1 point]
Focus Strike
- While there is no official wording for how to do this sort of thing, the only thing I'm going to ding you for is using "deals" which is never used. [-1 point]
Blazing Steps
- As written, this attack would do 80 damage every time. There is no way to fix this without using a counter or Ability of some kind. Either way, requires a rewrite. [-2 points]

Creativity/Originality: 16/20
(Props for using the double-typed attack and A for effort on the Blaziken. As intended, it could be an interesting attacker.)
Wording: 11/15
(notbad.jpg)
(Focus Strike is a little too strong, and Blazing Steps needs tweaking, but the potential is definitely there.)
Total: 39/50
Gengar ex - Psychic - HP 330
Stage 2 - Evolves from Haunter

Ability: Creep from the Deep
Once during your turn, if this Pokémon is in your discard pile and if you have the necessary Energy cards in your discard pile to use this Pokémon's attacks, this Pokémon may attack instead of your Active Pokémon. (The cards stay in your discard pile.) You can't use this Ability if you have no Active Pokémon or if 1 of your Pokémon used Creep from the Deep Ability this turn.

[P][C] Sinister Screams
Choose 1:
- Move all Special Conditions from your Active Pokémon to your opponent's Active Pokémon.
- Your opponent discards the top card of their deck and 2 cards from their hand.
- If you have used your VSTAR Power, flip 2 coins. If both of them are heads, turn your opponent's VSTAR marker face down. (This counts as your opponent using their VSTAR Power.)

Weakness: [D]x2
Resistance: [F]-30
Pokémon ex rule: When your Pokémon ex is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

My Thoughts

We don't have a very good frame of reference for SV Pokemon ex yet. You're not specifically forbidden from faking in this era, but be warned that in terms of balance, I'll be going by end of era SWSH in terms of power and wording since SV hasn't shown any major wording changes aside from (finally) capitalizing Basic Energy.

With that said... It's broken.

The fact that you don't have to put this Pokemon into play in order to attack completely changes the way attack balance works. It's not as simple as saying "if this Pokemon is in the discard pile and you have the Energy to attack, then you can attack" because attack balance depends on a variety of factors, not the least of which is how easy it is to get the Pokemon into play and what the effects and damage of the effect are. Normally, you'd have to drop Gastly, attach, evolve into Haunter, attach, evolve into Gengar, promote it if necessary, and attack. That's three turns minimum. Rare Candy can shave a turn off, but that's still two turns where you are using a Bench space, committing resources, risking getting your dude gusted up and killed and setting you back those turns.

Meanwhile, you can just Research those same three cards away and you are instantly ready to go. See what I mean?

So, putting that into context, this card is stall's wet dream. Mill one off the top and two from the hand, every turn, all while safely sitting behind some fat one-Prizer? Being able to move Special Conditions or possibly lock out your opponent's VSTAR Power is just gravy. The hand depletion effect is all you need.

Wording errors:
Creep from the Deep
- Attacking is a once per turn action. You don't need to clarify all that stuff at the end there. Additionally, there is no time you have no Active Pokemon; if you don't have an Active Pokemon, you lose. [-1 point]
- Switch around "to use this Pokemon's attacks" and "in your discard pile." [-1 point]
Sinister Screams
- Special Conditions aren't "moved" like damage counters are, although they probably should be. The proper way to "move" them involves declaring they're now affected by those Special Conditions and then your guy recovering... either way, it takes up more room than you've got. [-2 points]
- When you discard cards from multiple sources, you have to state those actions in full (Lickilicky UNM). Also, proper wording says that you discard the top card of their deck while the opponent discards the cards from their hand, but I'll let that part slide. [-1 point]
- The VSTAR marker is a visual aid only and has no bearing on the actual game itself. If you want to prevent the use of VSTAR Powers, use Latios-GX's Clear Vision GX as a reference. [-2 points]

Creativity/Originality: 16/20
(Attacking from the discard pile is great and all, but what else can you do with such an ability?)
Wording: 8/15
(A little research goes a long way.)
Believability/Playability: 10/15
(Stall loves it. It's just a bit too powerful an option in that regard.)
Total: 34/50
Hisuian Electrode – [G] – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Hisuian Voltorb

NO. 101 Sphere Pokémon HT: 3’11” WT: 156.5 lbs.

[] Bomb Saver
Until the end of your next turn, if this Pokémon would be Knocked Out by damage from an attack, flip a coin. If heads, this Pokémon is not Knocked Out, and its remaining HP becomes 10.

[G][G] Chloroblast 190
Move all Energy from this Pokémon to your Benched Pokémon in any way you like.. This Pokémon does 90 damage to itself.

Weakness: [R]x2
Resistance:
The tissue on the surface of its body is curiously similar in composition to an Apricorn. When irritated, this Pokémon lets loose an electric current equal to 20 lightning bolts.

My Thoughts

Pretty average. Gives off bulk rare vibes. Bomb Saver allowing you to possibly survive your own Chloroblast is nice, I'll say that, but you still necessarily lose all your Energy, making swinging with it multiple times quite difficult.

At the very least, you can use a Choice Belt to hit 220 to OHKO Pokemon V and tilt the Prize trade in your favor, but I don't like the fact that it kills you if you don't have Big Charm attached.

Overall, it's just... meh. A big shrug. Not awful, but there's not a whole lot of wow factor here, you know?

Wording errors:
Chloroblast
- Extra period at the end of the first sentence [-1 point]
- "This Pokemon also does X damage to itself." [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 14/20
(Nothing particularly interesting. It's an Electrode that blows itself up. It's not even the first Electrode that can move its own Energy.)
Wording: 13/15
(Easy fixes.)
(A perfectly normal card I would expect to see from this era.)
Total: 42/50
Noivern VSTAR
Pokémon - Dragon - 270 HP
VSTAR Pokémon - Evolves from Noivern V

NO. 715 Sound Wave Pokémon HT: 4'11" WT: 187.4 lbs.

[P][D][C]: Resonance Boom
Your opponent reveals their hand. This attack does 20 damage to each of your opponent's Pokémon for each Trainer card you find there.

VSTAR Power
[C]: Jamming Star
Until this Pokémon leaves play, it gains an Ability that has the effect "Your opponent can't play any Item cards from their hand."

Weakness: None
Retreat: None

VSTAR Rule: When your Pokémon VSTAR is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

My Thoughts

Holy spread, Batman! This card is pretty bonkers, given that Resonance Boom counts all Trainers and hits everyone on their field. Great synergy with Jamming Star, all but ensuring you won't whiff this attack.

My issue is that with just 4 Trainers in hand, you're spreading 80 damage to their entire board with no drawback. It's just too much. I know Noivern is known for Boomburst and spread-style attacks, but this is too powerful. I would rather see a Poltergeist-style attack that hits a single target rather than rip up the opponent's whole field with unlimited damage, but that's not particularly interesting in and of itself, either...

Wording errors:
General
- Pokemon VSTAR don't have Pokedex info on the card [-1 point]
Resonance Boom
- You need to specify whether or not to apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon [-1 point]
Jamming Star
- Missing the once per game VSTAR Power text [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 15/20
(Standard Noivern fare, even if it is absurdly powerful.)
Wording: 12/15
(These are rookie mistakes, easily fixed.)
Believability/Playability: 9/15
(Eternal Item lock plus the ability to wipe the opponent's field is way too powerful.)
Total: 36/50
Ledian-GX – Grass – HP150
Stage 1 – Evolves from Ledyba

Ability: Lucky Spots
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a basic Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you do, the next time you flip any number of coins for the effect of an attack, this turn choose heads or tails for the first coin flip.

[G][C] Lucky Comet Punch 50x
Flip 3 coins. This attack does 50 damage for each heads. If any of them are tails, your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Confused.

[G][G][C] Superstar Swift-GX 100
Flip a coin for each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. Discard a basic Energy from your opponent's Active Pokémon for each heads. *(You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)*

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: [C] [C]
Pokémon-GX rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

My Thoughts

It's a Ledian, the contest is over, here's your 50

It's clear what the theme here is, and I'm all for it, but there's one big problem that I have aside from the astonishingly low HP, and that's the Ability. You might have meant for Lucky Spots to only affect Ledian-GX, and if it did, we'd be having an entirely different conversation; however, as it's written, while the Energy used to pay for it has to come from Ledian, the attack can come from any source. So, if you were to have, say, Ledian-GX on the Bench alongside Blaziken DRM and then used Firestarter to attach a Fire Energy from the discard pile to Ledian-GX every turn, your Active Pokemon, whatever it is, would be able to take advantage of that.

A simple yet effective example would be Kingler UNB, who has an attack for 3 Energy that does 80 damage and paralyzes on a heads flip. Of course, you could use anything that paralyzes since you will always flip heads, but Kingler was the Pokemon I found that did the most damage alongside it to reduce the number of turns you have to stall.

The point is, the loop is possible and, once established, puts the opponent in a position where they need a switching option every single turn or they just lose. It goes to show you how careful you gotta be when designing cards with effects like this.

Wording errors:
General
- In no universe would this card ever have a Psychic Resistance. [-1 point]
Lucky Spots
- "...discard a basic Energy from this Pokemon" [-1 point]
- Forgot to erase the extra comma after "effect of an attack" [-1 point]
- Missing a comma after "this turn" [-1 point]
Superstar Swift GX
- Pokemon-GX names are hyphenated. GX attack names are not. No points deduction here, just a reminder. [-0 points]

Creativity/Originality: 14/20
(It's like you took all the top Ledian-related things and put them on a card.)
Wording: 11/15
(Three out of your four missed points here are from messing up copy and pasting the text from Will. I know you said you were short on time this month, so I don't expect this to be a problem, but this is a great example of why it helps to take a break after you finish so you can look at it with fresh eyes before you post.)
Believability/Playability: 7/15
(The HP is absurdly low, almost to the point of unplayability, but it enables the auto-paralzye lock so it has to be played.)
Total: 32/50
[VMAX] Yveltal VMAX HP330 [D]
Evolves from Yveltal V - Dynamax

Ability: Omen of Destruction
Once during your turn, when this Pokémon moves from your Bench to the Active Spot, you may put 1 damage counter on each Benched Pokémon (both yours and your opponent's). If you do, heal 10 damage from this Pokémon for each damage counter you placed in this way.

[D][D][D] Max Calamity 100+
You may discard any number of your Benched Pokémon. This attack does 40 more damage for each Benched Pokémon you discarded in this way. If you healed at least 100 damage from this Pokémon during this turn, you may also discard 1 Pokémon card form your hand as if it were 1 of your Benched Pokémon.

Weakness: [L]x2
Resistance: [F]-20
Retreat: [C][C]
VMAX Rule: When your Pokémon VMAX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 3 Prize cards.

My Thoughts

I like it. It has a cheeky way of healing itself in huge chunks and easy damage thanks to Gengar LOR. At first glance, it looks like another boring Yveltal doing boring Yveltal things, but the way in which it does them is a bit interesting. Yveltal is the essence of death itself, but Yveltal cards don't do a whole lot in the way of instant death. This card uses the lives of all its teammates as fodder for its attack (which, in turn, will cause more death). I think Yveltal is one of the few Pokemon other than Gardevoir and Tsareena that could thematically pull this attack off, so good choice there. Not calling it Max Despair as a reference to both Despair Ray and Yveltal as the bringer of death is a missed opportunity, though.

One criticism I do have is that Omen of Destruction is awkward to proc. It requires you to take a hit, move to the Bench, and then come out again. Chances are if you can't take yourself out of 2HKO range, you're just going to swing with another Yveltal VMAX. Not really sure how you'd go about fixing that, though. It's a neat Ability; I just don't know how you'd get any real mileage out of it. And because the Ability is hard to use, triggering Max Calamity's additional effect is likewise awkward. This is likewise compounded by its painful Retreat Cost, necessitating the use of Air Balloon and multiple switching cards in order to move this guy around.

I think it would see play, but it's Despair Ray at its heart and therefore runs into all the problems Despair Ray does. You can add Eternatus VMAX to increase your Bench slots, but doing so prevents you from the free +40s that Gengar would give. Using Eternatus sends this deck's damage ceiling into the stratosphere, though. I could definitely see it run both ways and it would be interesting to see how it could be built.

Wording errors:
Max Despair Calamity
- I'm not sure on how you would word that last sentence. I can't shake that it's wrong somehow, but I can't figure out how, so no penalty. [-0 points]
- You misspelled "from" though and I gotta ding ya for that one. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 17/20
(A fun card overall, even if the most interesting thing about it is awkward to make use of. Being able to use it in multiple builds is great.)
Wording: 14/15
(Almost had it...)
Believability/Playability: 14/15
(Omen of Destruction is a neat Ability but triggering it is a bit too awkward for my liking. Great work, though!)
Total: 45/50

3rd Place: Kaleidophoenix’s Hisuian Electrode, with 42/50 points.
2nd Place: Vom’s Yveltal VMAX, with 45/50 points.
1st Place: Falling Skies’s Accelgor, with 49/50 points.

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
I like to apologise as I was caught up with work and personal matter that i totally forgot to log in to the site..

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Image-Based Results

Judge: @Jabberwock

Happy new year! Hope you’re all having fun playing Scarlet and Violet, and thanks for joining us for our Create-a-Card rendition this month. Turns out there’s a lot of variety in red and purple Pokémon, and the freedom from mechanical restrictions meant we saw some very diverse effects this round.

As always, cite your wording references! It’s a great way to check yourself, and it means I don’t have to make as many guesses about your intent when the wording is ambiguous.

The next round of CaC will be up shortly. Stay tuned!

~~Jabberwock

contest_seaking-2-png.16923

Interesting take on this one. It may interest you to know that even though Seaking has been around since the beginning, this is the first time in CaC’s 11-year history that anyone has used it for their submission. A lot of the time, the most interesting cards come from the most forgotten Pokémon!

On the effects side, Lightning Rod is a good (and underutilized) source of inspiration, but I tend not to be a fan of specific type hate — it’s too hard to balance when your card is designed to target one particular type out of 7-11 options. If your opponent isn’t playing any Lightning Energy, then this card is just a vanilla [C]-for-60 attacker. Powerful, sure, but nothing to write home about creatively.

You can mitigate this somewhat when the card’s bonuses come from stuff you can do during the game, so you aren’t just waiting around hoping for your opponent to swing into your Pokémon with a Lightning Energy attached. In your notes, you mention that you considered making it activate from self-damage, and I think this would have been a great idea! Moreover, you don’t have to make it an either/or thing — having Lightning Rod activate on damage from any Pokémon with Lightning Energy attached means it can be a Lightning hate card and an inexpensive control card for decks with a self-damaging Lightning attacker.

Okay, but let’s say that the card’s in its current incarnation, and your opponent is playing Lightning Energy. What can they do about it? Well, they’ll avoid attacking with Lightning Energy as much as possible, but some decks just won’t be able to manage it. They attack, and in return you’ll get to wallop them back for 200 damage for [C]. That’s an insane amount of damage for such a low Energy cost — especially since no part of the card requires a specific type on your end, it means that virtually any deck can tech just two cards and gain the ability to nuke a Lightning attacker into the ground.

To help even things out, I would start by dropping the damage. If you’re set on a one-Energy attack cost, 40 would be a safer base damage, and you probably want your total damage output to be more in the range of 100 than 200. OHKOing a single-Prize Pokémon is fair for an attack with a low cost and a moderately-hard-to-set-up condition. OHKOing most Pokémon V is less so.

Making the card less splashable wouldn’t hurt, either. When the Active Pokémon taking damage in Lightning Rod can be any type, and Conductive Horn can accept any type of Energy for its cost, you’ve got a type-hate card that can find its way into virtually any deck in the format. When that happens, the type all those decks hate might as well be eradicated — you don’t stand much of a chance when everybody’s against you. Making the attack cost [W] instead of [C] would mean Seaking wouldn’t have such a ubiquitous place in the metagame, and would give Lightning decks more of a fighting chance.

It’s a great first entry — the inspiration is sound and the ideas are there. It just needs a couple tweaks in the execution to keep it from breaking things.

Wording errors:
- Based on Chesnaught V, Lightning Rod should read something like “If your Active Pokémon is damaged by an attack from your opponent’s Pokémon with [L] Energy attached, …”. “Once during your turn” is out of place here since the effect happens during your opponent’s turn (when they attack). [-3 points]
- The “During your opponent’s last turn” syntax in Conductive Horn is odd because it could imply that the 140 more damage occurs during your opponent’s last turn as well. You’d probably want something more like “If you used a Lightning Rod Ability during your opponent’s last turn, …” [-3 points]

Fonts and Placement errors:
- The “60” damage numeral should be right-aligned with the attack text, and the “+” should hang off the right-hand side. Compare to something like Radiant Steelix.[-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 13/15
(You’re taking inspiration from some good places. Seaking is definitely under-recognized both in CaC and in the TCG in general, and Lightning Rod is one of its traits that, weirdly, has never seemed to get any attention. I also like that Lightning Rod “powers up” its attack as if through electricity. A strong Creativity score here, but the last couple points might come from the Ability and attack doing something less common than simply doing damage and moving Energy around, or perhaps something especially on-brand for Seaking or Lightning Rod.)
Believability/Playability: 7/15
(The type hate is such that it could completely eradicate Lightning decks from the format, and even beyond that the power level is quite high at 200 for [C]. An additional point docked here for Weakness and Resistance: I see what you’re trying to do with Lightning Rod, but W/R is extremely rigid in SwSh, with all Water cards — even Whiscash and Swampert — being weak to Lightning.)
Wording: 4/10
(A couple syntactic rearrangements.)
Fonts and Placement: 4/5
(One error.)
Aesthetics: 3/5
(It’s some art on a blank. It’s not bad, as these things go, but with a Pokémon V there’s surely room for improvement — a holosheet might go a long way, for example.)
Total: 31/50
1668997842500-png.16947

Man oh man, that’s a lot of text for a SwSh-era card! You said gimmicky in your entry post, and you delivered — multiple Stadiums is something I can’t recall having seen before, at least not like this, and it’s particularly fitting for Palkia as a space-controlling Pokémon.

Having three Stadiums in play at once opens up a whole world of new possibilities, and I would think that many players would be excited to comb through a list of Stadiums to optimize the best use of this VSTAR Power. Having access to it in a format like Expanded would no doubt make for even crazier combos.

That said, they might not stick around very long — without surefire support from a card like Ninetales PRC, you can probably expect all three of those Stadiums to wind up in the Lost Zone on your opponent’s very next turn. It makes me wish, from a mechanical standpoint as well as a creative one, that Palkia’s attack cared about those Stadiums in some way, just so you can squeeze a little more use out of them before your opponent plays down their own Stadium and gets rid of them.

Power-wise … 200 damage, spreading 2 damage counters to everything, and Lost Zoning the Active on a Knock Out is pretty strong, but Arceus VSTAR can do 200 damage and build another Arceus VSTAR for a comparable Energy cost, so it’s probably fair — extremely strong, but fair. It does feel a bit like a grab bag of arbitrary strong effects without much relation to each other, and like I said, I could wish it had something more to do with the VSTAR Power for gameplay purposes, whether that’s taking more advantage of the Stadiums before they’re gone or potentially even protecting them so they can stick around longer. Or something else entirely! With so many new avenues of play opened up by the VSTAR Power, I’m sure there are just as many options for synergy with it.

Wording errors:
- “Evolves From Palkia V” → “Evolves from Palkia V” [-0.5 point]
- You don’t need “in play” in the attack text, per cards like Mismagius SIT. [-2 points]
- “Opponent’s” shouldn’t be capitalized in the attack text. [-0.5 point]
- You’re not adding any damage, so you don’t need a “+” on the attack. [-0.5 point]
- On the attack name, the TCG and Pokémon in general have a long history of going back and forth over “spacial” versus “spatial”. The latter is preferred in general according to most grammar sites I’m able to find, and indeed Palkia is the Spatial Pokémon … but on the other hand, its signature move is always spelled Spacial Rend. Here’s the fairest way I can think of to rule this: since Palkia-GX was printed relatively recently with the attack Spatial Control, I believe precedent indicates that all instances of the word except specifically the attack Spacial Rend should be spelled with a “t”. However, the fact that Spacial Rend exists at all gives you plausible deniability from a wording check standpoint, so I’m going to dock only half as much as I normally would for a misspelled word, and admonish anyone reading this to use “Spatial” over “Spacial” in the future. [-0.5 point]
- “Put the current Stadium in play” → “Put a Stadium in play”, per cards like Vigoroth EVS. [-1 point]
- “put them all in play” → “put them all into play” [-0.5 point]
- “Then shuffle” → “Then, shuffle” [-0.5 point]
- The “Each player receives the effects of all Stadiums” sentence is superfluous and can be deleted without messing up any rules. If you want to keep it, you can set it as reminder text in italics. [-2 points]
- “ability, attack or Trainer card” → “attack, Ability, or Trainer card”, per Will. [-1 point]

- VSTAR Power text can’t be arbitrarily shrunk without changing the size of the attack text the way GX attack text can — if you need to shrink one, you gotta shrink the other. In this case, you probably also need to expand the allotted space for the VSTAR Power by moving the “VSTAR Power” bar up. [-2 points]
- A lot of objects on the card (the attack cost symbols, the Palkia evocon, the CaC symbol) look quite pixelated, and I wonder if you’ve tried to upsize them rather than starting them at the resolution you need? Objects can’t in general be upsized without getting this pixelation effect, but all the resources you need should exist at higher resolutions. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 12/15
(I love the creativity behind the VSTAR Power — I can’t remember having seen multiple Stadiums at a time before, and it’s particularly good on a Palkia — but I wish from a design standpoint that the attack tied into it somehow. Spacial Crush’s effect sort of seems like a grab bag of strong effects that only loosely go together, and there may be room for refinement there.)
(Quite a powerful attack, but not more so than certain other VSTAR attacks. The gimmickiness of the VSTAR Power is fine — mechanically, it’s self-contained and doesn’t break anything on its own. How good (or not) it is depends on the Stadiums you can exploit with it!)
Wording: 1/10
(Don’t forget to proofread!)
Fonts and Placement: 2/5
(A font size error and something about a few pixelly icons.)
Aesthetics: 3/5
(The holosheet application could be brighter but is generally alright, and the whole card looks very foreboding, but the illustration is very dark! I can get behind the idea of loosening art restrictions for an alt-art VSTAR, but I assume you wouldn’t want it to take too long for the viewer to recognize it as Palkia. If using Photoshop, the Brightness/Contrast window can probably help a lot here.)
Total: 33/50
kpcac14_tsareena_vmax-png.16956

Man oh man, that art! I thought when I saw it that it was gonna be a hard one to beat for impressiveness, but that was before I knew you spent 15 hours tracing out the mosaic using a mouse. Mad respect, the effect is stunning, and it’s a shame the Aesthetics score in this contest maxes out at 5.

It’s also clear that you’ve thought very precisely about the problem with an existing card that you want to solve, and how this card is going to solve it. The card wouldn’t make much of a statement on its own — a “when discarded from play” trigger is unique, but the effects you get from it aren’t too out-there — but it gets more interesting when you consider that context. Royal Inheritance helps you stream Tsareena V to an extent, and when that strategy runs out you can switch over to attacking with the VMAX. This is why designer’s notes are often helpful, and it’s proof that building off of another card can often be a plenty viable design strategy.

As far as balance goes, I don’t have too much of a problem with the Ability — it could let you pull multiple Shiftry LOR or Beedrill CRE out from nowhere over the course of a game, but I tend to think that setting up a VMAX and having to discard it from play on your turn (at least a three-card investment) is an acceptable cost for setting up a [G] Pokémon of your choice.

The damage output of the attack concerns me more. Comparing to cards like Machamp CPA, Persian-GX, and Zoroark TEU, if you’re going to have a 20x damage scaler on an attack like this, you want to either start it at a way lower base damage (e.g. 20x total, not 80 plus 20x) or impose some kind of cap to keep it from one-shotting the format. I can’t find any references that make me think a Vengeance-style attack that starts at 80 and scales by 20 without a cap wouldn’t rocket to the top of Tier One and break the format wide open, so I would probably suggest going with one of these.

Fortunately, that’s an easy fix. Overall the card is a strong support mon for its pre-evolved form, helps its specific problems in cohesive and interesting ways, and also manages to form the basis for a potentially quite powerful archetype in its own right. Not to mention the art!

Wording errors:
- “[G] Energy” → “[G] Energy card” while not yet attached to a Pokémon. [-2 points]

- The “Evolves from” text looks to be in a variant of Gill Sans — it should be in Frutiger. [-1 point]
- The “+” seems a little far from the damage numerals — compare to Rayquaza VMAX, where the white outlines touch. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 13/15
(Strong, if straightforward, answer to Tsareena V’s problems, and not only does it synergize with its pre-evolution, it could form an archetype all its own. Good source of inspiration!)
(Max Regime’s damage output is substantially higher than precedent would endorse. Fortunately, there are easy fixes here.)
Wording: 8/10
(One minor error.)
Fonts and Placement: 3/5
(One font thing, one placement thing.)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(I love seeing all the different directions people take alt-arts when there are no conventions about art style. I see what I think is a Shiinotic, a Comfey, and a Sudowoodo on the cliff to the left, and a few Wimpod in the river. Anything I’m missing?)
Total: 41/50
3Xb9fm0.png

My first thought when I saw the card, before knowing what the Ability did or anything, was, “Wow, that’s clean.” I think this is mostly down to the choice of Pokémon and art — Ledian has a color scheme that happens to complement modern [G] blanks really nicely, and this particular illustration has a pleasing composition: one-third almost solid brown from the tree trunk; one-third almost solid green from the background leaves; and one-third Ledian, right in the middle. The holosheet is subtle, but helps to draw greater focus to Ledian, so I think that’s helping you out here, too. I’m not sure how much thought went into choosing the art, since you don’t go into it in your notes, but either way, it turned out great.

I also want to call out the name “Five Star Service,” because it would be a cool Ability name for a support Ability on the Five Star Pokémon even if it weren’t effectively a VSTAR Power, too. Never let it be said that creativity can’t shine through in Ability names.

On to the effects. It’s a pretty straightforward design: as you said yourself, you get “an extra use of certain VSTAR Powers at the cost of your life.” Getting additional uses out of supposedly one-time effects is nothing new in Pokémon (Exhibit A, Exhibit B), so even if it hasn’t been done with a self–Knock Out yet, exactly, it’s still not too out there.

Where the card gets interesting is in its gameplay potential. Cards like Goodra VSTAR and Arceus VSTAR would love to get second uses (and in some cases maybe even third and fourth uses) out of their VSTAR Powers, and I think you’re right in surmising that in many cases it could lead to control archetypes not unlike Regigigas LV.X. There are several decent options and at least a couple very good options for VSTAR Powers to pair Ledian with in format right now, and in a hypothetical world where VSTARs continued to be released, it would be interesting to see what else could benefit from it. It would take a truly outstanding VSTAR Power to break it, so I think you’re good on balancing.

As far as the attack goes … well, you probably know what I’m going to say here, but a card doesn’t need to have a good attack to have an [/i]interesting[/i] attack. Situational utility comes up all the time in Pokémon. Think of it like “the worst Resistance is no Resistance” — the least interesting effect is no effect.

Wording errors:
- I see what you mean about those last three sentences. Personally I think it makes the most sense for the “You can …” and the “You can’t …” sentences to be grouped together, and to go after the “If you use this Ability …” sentence, but ultimately there’s not much to say either way. I’ll give it a pass for points.

- None I can spot.

(The gameplay potential and the name “Five Star Service” are pulling a lot of weight here. From a pure design standpoint, without considering all the VSTAR Powers available to you, it’s a pretty straightforward card, and Spinning Attack isn’t doing it many favors. Still, you’ve clearly thought about all the things you can do with even a seemingly straightforward Ability like this one, and all that potential counts for something.)
(I don’t believe any current VSTAR Power breaks it, and it would take something really crazy for a hypothetical unprinted VSTAR Power to do so.)
Wording: 10/10
(The three sentences at the end of the Ability are awkward, but I’ll give you a pass for no precedent.)
Fonts and Placement: 5/5
(Looks good.)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(It may just be a standard holo rare, but the art is particularly striking on this one. It’s got depth, and certainly looks like it could be a real card.)
Total: 47/50
pory2tera-1-png.16996

Woo, a Terastallized Pokémon! You’re gonna love next month’s theme.

I think one key to making something like this feel believable and cohesive from a design standpoint is figuring out a narrative for it, a lore reason why it changes its type — this isn’t just a [P]-type Porygon2, it’s [P]-type because it goes to space! So nice work on that front for sure; the idea of a space-based Porygon2 intrigues me, and it’s certainly got an Ability and attack name to match.

Rescue Shuttle strikes me as an interesting name because it doesn’t really do very much to rescue the Pokémon in question, lol — it just grabs their stuff before it’s lost. Still, I guess a rescue mission can just as easily become a salvage mission if something goes wrong. It’s fine mechanically — perhaps a little on the underpowered side due to the uncertainty of the coin flips, but nothing unreasonable. The ability to save key Special Energy or Pokémon Tool cards from going to the discard pile could come in clutch.

Energy Orbit is a spicier effect — I guess Porygon2 is doing an orbital tour around the battlefield with the opponent’s Active Pokémon as its center of mass (or Energy?). We’ve seen recent success for cards that can spread 50 damage, and I don’t have trouble seeing a generalization for an effective Stage 2 that can do it to more Pokémon for a less prohibitive cost. I could wish it played off the Ability in more interesting ways (or that the Ability played off the attack), but at least in terms of balancing, that’s neither here nor there.

Aesthetically, it’s a beautiful blank that manages to capture the crystalline motif of the Tera phenomenon very well. There are a few places that could be cleaned up a little bit — you can see some blocky artifacts on the left and right bars making up the illustration border, for instance — but those aren’t too visible at first glance and they’re easily fixed in future drafts.

Another thing about the blank, though, is that the purple crystalline texture is quite dark — it looks like you ran into an issue trying to decide whether to use black text, white text, or black-with-white-outline text, and it looks like you solved it by just using each of them in a different place on the card. To some extent, this is a failing of the blank — background textures should be light enough that it’s obvious you should use black text or dark enough that you should clearly use white, and this middle ground is what leads to stuff like this Entei. But it’s up to you how you solve it, and I’m not sure that putting three different styles of text in different places on your card is the way to go. I think any of the three — black, white, or black outlined in white — would have been a legitimate choice (though the outlined text was probably the best one), but only if you pick one and stick to it.

Wording errors:
- At least on modern Rule Boxes, the type of Pokémon in question is always singular. Going off of BREAK wording, you’d want “Porygon2 Tera retains the attacks and Abilities of its previous Evolution.” This prevents stuff like “Tera Pokémon” being plural but “Evolution” being singular, the way it is in your wording. [-1 point]
- “If one of your Pokémon” → “If 1 of your Pokémon” [-1 point]
- “Choose 1 card” → “Choose a card” (ref, e.g., Kamado) [-1 point]
- Per Dragapult SIT, the clause about choosing Pokémon more than once should actually not be reminder text! Only docking [-1 point] here since the card was released during the month of this contest.
- You still need the “Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon” clause — it may be deprecated soon, but not yet! [-2 points]

- The Ability and attack text look awfully squeezed in there! I think there’s enough text that you would want to start decreasing the size at this point, to help it all fit. [-1 point]
- In SwSh, flavor text is no longer left-aligned like it was in SM, but rather right-aligned. I mentioned this last month, too. [-1 point]

(I like the space angle for why this Porygon2 Terastallized into a [P]-type, and I like each of the effects individually. I could wish they were a little more related, though — right now they feel like very discrete effects that could as easily be on two separate cards.)
(The Ability is perhaps a little underpowered, but not unreasonably so, and it can still have some clutch utility. The attack is great.)
Wording: 4/10
(A number of errors — don’t forget to check references!)
Fonts and Placement: 3/5
(Flavor text alignment and some text squishing!)
Aesthetics: 4/5
(Pretty blank, and the art and subtle holosheet work well to evoke a [P]-type Tera Porygon2. But the diverging choices of text style make the text portion of the card look cluttered, and I think picking one style and sticking with it would have been a better choice here.)
Total: 38/50

3rd Place: doofisconfused’s Porygon2 Tera, with 38/50 points.
2nd Place: Kaleidophoenix’s Tsareena VMAX, with 41/50 points.
1st Place: PMJ’s Ledian, with 47/50 points.