Contest November 2021 CaC: Discard Pile (Sign-ups Closed!)

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
Sorry late again,I was pretty busy with personal stuff.

Spiritomb V HP170 [D]
Basic Pokémon

[Ability] Soulection

This Pokémon gets +10 HP for each Pokémon in your discard pile.You can't add more than 110 HP in this way.

[D][D] Schadenfreude 20X

You may put up to 10 damage counters on your Benched Pokémon in any way you like. This attack does 20 damage for each damage counter you placed in this way.If any of your Pokémon were Knocked Out in this way,draw a card.

Weakness:[G]X2
Resistance:None
Retreat:[C ][C]

When your Pokémon V is Knocked Out,your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

So yeah,Spiritomb V.What can I say more?
Another Pokémon with an Ability and no Resistance,I am truly uncreative.

I wanted to make a wall with a funny strategy of the discard pile cards,since no cards have that kind of strategy.
Schadenfreude it's great to discard Pokèmon faster,especially weaker Pokémon,and also rewards you with a card if you
Knock Out any of them,good way to get more cards.
This card works great with the Honchkrow I created some months ago and the Single Strike Umbreon from Evolving Skies,along with Team Up Spiritomb for the Expanded format.

Simple strategy,but tough guy to KO.

That's it bye

Mick-773

Pizza Enthusiast
9ccef123a30c36fd0e4716dd4181175ecc4c683f.png

HP and Retreat were calibrated on pre-existing Mudsdale cards, with both being a little higher than your average HP and RC for a fully evolved stage 1 Fighting Pokémon. I had to stop myself from giving it a L resistance, tough.

Ability: mainly Trash Exchange G1 (lol), but the counting parts was updated to be in line with the wording more recently used in cards like Wicke BUS. For the second part, mainly Flygon DAA (If you discarded ... in this way) and Bea VIV ("any energy cards you discarded..."). Altough I feel like I somehow mess it up.

Attack: Mainly Rillaboom VMAX RCL, although I omitted the "if you do" bit, in light of more recent cards such as Tsareena V FST and Rayquaza V EVS. Same here, I hope I didn't mess up this one too °_°

Working on the entry for this month was quite the pain, unfortunately.
In a span of a few days, the card I had in mind jumped from a Vileplume, to a Cursola, to a Jellycent, and finally into a Volcanion. Then I decided to scrap everything and try a different approach to the theme, and Mudsdale seemed like a forgotten enough Pokémon to try and do something different with it. Then things irl popped up and I basically had no time to work on it as I wanted, sorry.

Speaking of Mudsdale, one of my favourite tech back in S/M was to use it as a support Pokémon with Rototiller, boosting the offensive power of my Grass types. It didn't really work out as I planned, tough.
Rototiller is already featured in the TCG as an attack, so I wanted to take it to the extremes by making it into an ability that basically randomizes your discard pile (and provides some minor energy acceleration, just in case).

While this can be useful to put resources back into the deck to be searched and used again, it can also backfire spectacularly as you might end up discarding important resources - unless you build your deck around fishing things back from the discard pile, that is.
I guess making it so that you can actually choose the cards that gets shuffled and the one that stays in the discard pile would have made it a bit more consistent, but I fear it could have made it a bit too broken? (used in an hypothetical Night March/Mad Party-esque archetype, perhaps?)

The attack is a variation on the usual "discard energy, do damage", in the sense that in this case Mudsdale kindly ask for the collaboration (and the energies) of your benched Pokemon instead of doing all the heavy lifting.
The discarded cards will most likely be shuffled into the deck during next turn, but with a bit of luck you can get one of them back via Soil TIllage's second effect, which allows the attack to hit consistently for at least 100 damage per turn, which is a bit lower, but overall in line, with the power level of other 3-energy attacks carried by Fully evolved stage 1 Fighting Pokemon from the current era (at least if I didn't mess up the input criteria in the card database °-°).

As for the art, lately I've been particularly obsessed over the cards illustrated by HYOGONOSUKE, so I tried to incorporate a similar vibe into my artwork. I believe the context the scene takes place in is kinda obvious, but if you need a hint there is a gigantic tail showing off in the distance that might serve as a hint :p
I want to practice more with this style, as I had a lot of fun with it. Unfortunately the brush I used for 80% of the work suddenly stopped working and turned into a blurred mess, so the final render was absolutely rushed and I hated every second of it (as the rest of the card, basically).

Mudsdale has always been associated strongly with Hapu, so I decide to also feature her in the drawing - of course, her outfit was adapted to better fit Galar's colder climate. As for the reason why Poni's Kahuna travelled from her home island to this region, I don't have a proper answer. Perhaps she was sent there to take notes on the region's league system, given how young Alola's league is compared to Galar's. Or she is just there on holiday. Who knows.

Also, before you ask: yes, horses' anatomy makes no sense. I don't know why they sit like that, or what other sorcery I have to cast to make it loos less uncanny. Please don't think too much about it. Thanks.

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
Submission time
View attachment 16238
I'm really happy with the way this card turned out, especially when it comes to that art. I have to admit that I was a bit scared of how drawing the reverse/distortion would look, but I think I pulled it off.
For note, the clause about only being able to discard one Pokémon off of the ability despite the "once per turn" already being there is for the event that you find more than one Basic Pokémon in those five cards.
Alright, yeah, had to correct something to do with wording on the ability, and I should have done this sooner, but here that is.

Giratina Nov. 2021-fixed.png

I wanted to be thematic with BDSP releasing this month, and Giratina really just fit perfectly, and I played on the Reverse/Distortion world in the attack name. The attack is also slightly inspired by Night March, just a good bit more fitting to Giratina, and a bit more malicious with "Hunt" as opposed to "March".

Alolan Teddiursa

Aspiring Trainer
dev4iaf-3b02c20a-8d3b-4c89-912b-9765da222573.png

Important notes for the Judge:

1. I know that Burned status was not introduced till e series but I really don't want to reference the long text of the Char counter from Quilava. I hope this is fine:)

2. I understand that dark types have no weaknesses in Neo era but since this is a particular set that I am working on, all Pokemon have Weakness and Resistances, so I still added one.

3. The Rocket symbol was supposed to be behind the Archer icon. However, his head would block most of the Rocket Icon and it looks somehow weird so I left it as this😅.

Mr. Sableye

Lithovore Extraordinaire
slowpoke.png
Pretty simple card. Unrestricted discard recursion on a coin flip with an optional increasing cost to improve your odds. Evasion effect on its attack so it can potentially see more than one use without being wiped out immediately. Otherwise, pretty standard Slowpoke stats. Also uses more Emiko Yoshino art which I love.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
November_CaC_Suicune_ChM_CaC6_14.png
[/URL]
References for effects include Darkrai GX BUS, Karrablast CRI, Tsareena UMI (UNM?)/Naganadel LOT, and PLF Kecleon and CRE Kecleon. Sorry for not clarifying what those effects are for specifically. There is something I urgently need to do that has been put off far too long already.
Also, thanks, everyone who helped me review my entry. PMJ was especially involved in today's last second review, but several other people had all chimed in previously. It feels really good to get this released at last and not have to worry about it.

AlphaLad

Aspiring Trainer
devicc4-d3acb66a-dc27-4c50-9d82-518a9d3ac171.png

Since I had a pretty busy month and didn't have too much time to work on this, I'll keep it brief. I went with Dusknoir since it fit the discard pile theme pretty well, and the effects were made to reflect its lore. The card itself is balanced for SwSh and the blank is my own.

Vom

probably forgetting something
Forum Mod
[Basic] Hoopa-GX HP190 [D]

Ability: Dimension Breach
Once during your turn, if this Pokémon is discarded with the effect of another card, you may search your deck for Hoopa, Hoopa-EX or Hoopa-GX and put it onto your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck.

[D][C][C] Hyperspace Tunneling 100+
Discard any number of your Benched Pokémon. This attack does 20 more damage for each Benched Pokémon you discarded in this way.

[D] Bandit Ring GX 30
If you go first, you can use this attack on your first turn. For the rest of this game, each time you discard 1 of your Hoopa, Hoopa-EX or Hoopa-GX with the effect of another card, you may draw a card for each of those Pokémon. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [F] x 2
Resistance: [P] - 20
Retreat: [C][C][C]
Pokémon-GX Rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
-Weezing Hidden Fates - discard effect+clause. on the Weezing it's kind of ambiguous if they included the clause because of the effect of Jessie and James is also discarding from the hand, or if they included it for clarity. I'm leaning towards the former since my Honchkrow entry a couple months back had a similar dilemma (was not penalized for no clause) but I thought I'd just point it out.
-Cofagrigus LOT - Benched pokemon discard
i'll do these later cause im almost late oof

Vom

Forum Mod

Once during your turn, if this Pokémon is discarded with the effect of another card, you may search your deck for Hoopa, Hoopa-EX or Hoopa-GX and put it onto your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck.

[D][C][C] Hyperspace Tunneling 100+
Discard any number of your Benched Pokémon. This attack does 20 more damage for each Benched Pokémon you discarded in this way.

[D] Bandit Ring GX 30
If you go first, you can use this attack on your first turn. For the rest of this game, each time you discard 1 of your Hoopa, Hoopa-EX or Hoopa-GX with the effect of another card, you may draw a card for each of those Pokémon. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Pokémon-GX Rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Alright, where to start. This month was hard for me. Uni was wrapping up for the semester (which means exams) but that only exacerbated the problem I already had: the discard pile. You can do so many things with it, and yet. It was very hard to come up with something that really dives into the design space the Weezing in my references only scratched the surface of.

I knew off the bat I didn't want to do something that moved cards from the discard to somewhere else (i.e. acceleration, recycling, etc.) because there are a million cards out there that do that already. However that didn't leave much room for an interesting, yet viable strategy, besides something like Night March (which as I typed I realized some players might not know what I'm even talking about. big oof) and that really isn't that interesting.

So I remembered that Weezing, which nets you an advantage if you discard it with Jessie and James as part of the effect. I loved that card when it came out, but obviously it did not see play as it was a) too specific b) the specific card it supported was not very good itself in the first place and c) when it did work it was not very impactful. This card aims to solve each of those problems, and then some.

When I figured out I wanted to do something that worked well by being discarded, or by discarding things from the deck, I thought portals, ultra dimension, etc., which basically left me with Solgaleo (Ultra Warp ride, opens portals, like more than Lunala - fight me), Hoopa (duh), and the Sinnoh legends, which were quickly discarded for reasons that are not too clear, guess I just wasn't feeling it.

Now for Hoopa, I loved the old Hoopa-EX with Scoundrel Ring, so I did a reverse of that. That one grabbed you 3 Pokemon-EX except for Hoopa from your deck to your hand, this one hands you 1 of 3 versions of Hoopa. I almost put "with Hoopa in its name" for future proofing but I learned my lesson from that one Nidkoing card. Thanks...NP I think? Anyways. This one wants to be discarded, and in a perfect world there are versions of the other ones that have something like this Ability as well.

I'm honestly not entirely sure if it would work with stuff like Ultra Ball, since I have no idea if the Pokémon TCG makes the cost vs effect distinction since there are just no cards like that at this point, but even if it did it's nothing crazy. Dimension Breach has Hoopa reach through a ring to your deck to replace itself, allowing easier chaining of the attack.

Hyperspace Tunneling is admittedly not a novelty by any means, but it works so beautifully with the card and allows it to fit in an actual card that it was pretty much an auto include. Initially it was gonna let you draw cards instead of raw damage (with the GX attack being a KO button) but in the context of the new GX attack it is just so much more beneficial.

I did play with the math a lot starting out at 130 +10/discard, but this way you can have a one-time nuke and retain decent damage output beyond that. It has the added utility of being able to discard anything rather than only Hoopas, but obviously Hoopas are the only thing you can chain. There is no built in way to recycle Hoopas, however - which is probably a good thing to avoid too much chaining.

The GX attack is just the cherry on top. Now not only do you break even by discarding Hoopa, you actually get a benefit from it. That is all. The name is simply what Scoundrel Ring should have been. Don't you agree?

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Slightly belated wrap on this round of the contest — results are coming as soon as we can finish them.

Stay tuned for our annual Fakers' Marathon near the end of this month!

Reactions: Vom

Nyan

She/They
Sorry for the late finish on this, but I am hoping there's still enough time to slide mine in!

Hisuian_Zoroark_CaC.png

I need to go to sleep, so I will type out my comments/thoughts later on a Discord thread. Feel free to check that out later if you're so inclined uwu

Reactions: Vom

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Sorry for the late finish on this, but I am hoping there's still enough time to slide mine in!

Hisuian_Zoroark_CaC.png

I need to go to sleep, so I will type out my comments/thoughts later on a Discord thread. Feel free to check that out later if you're so inclined uwu
Cutting it close, but I'll slide it in since you reached out ahead of time to say you might be late. Try not to make a habit of it and we're good. :)

PMJ reminded me I should be more specific about when results are coming — this month is busier than usual for me, so we're probably looking at two or three weeks from now. Thanks for your patience, and I promise they're coming as soon as possible.

Vom

Forum Mod
So sorry about this again...yikes.

Once during your turn, if this Pokémon is discarded with the effect of another card, you may search your deck for Hoopa, Hoopa-EX or Hoopa-GX, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

[D][D][C] Hyperspace Tunneling 120+
Shuffle up to 3 in any combination of your Hoopa, Hoopa-EX or Hoopa-GX from your discard pile into your deck. This attack does 20 more damage for each card you shuffled into your deck in this way.

[D] Bandit Ring GX 30

-Blastoise-GX UNB: EXtra dmg for shuffling into deck