North American and European Regionals Locations and Dates Announced!

The Expanded format is killing this game. What is the point of rotating cards at this point.
Half the regionals, all Internats, and worlds. If anything, expanded is saving the game for people who can't afford new cards and rotation every year. There are plentiful amounts of standard tournaments, and a lot of people, me included, like having the option of 2 formats, since I enjoy both of them.

Buzzwole destroyed this game. Lol
Breakpoint destroyed this game. That set forward turned the game from power creep to power sprint. Started with Night March, then cooled down after rotation until Turbo Dark came along, the Decidueye plume, then Drampa Garb, then Gardy, then Zoroark, then Buzzwole. Notice something funny? Each of these decks beats the deck before it(excluding Night March since that entire archetype rotated).

Breakpoint destroyed this game. That set forward turned the game from power creep to power sprint. Started with Night March, then cooled down after rotation until Turbo Dark came along, the Decidueye plume, then Drampa Garb, then Gardy, then Zoroark, then Buzzwole. Notice something funny? Each of these decks beats the deck before it(excluding Night March since that entire archetype rotated).

Then Malamar came along and beat Buzzwole with its summons Necrozma and Ultra Necrozma. What's next? Something dumb that does more damage if your opponent has a lot of energy in the discard? Something with a GX attack that KO's attempted switch-outs? Or even something that defeats the whole Buzz-Mal-Zoro triangle???

As a snorlax id prefer all regionals to be within about 1 mile of where im sleeping/eating right now.

Sincerely,
Snorlax

I'm looking forward to the season and send my commiserations to those whose local Regional was removed by what appears to be a season of deliberate downsizing, with Vancouver, Salt Lake City and Fort Wayne gone. It's good that this information has come out so early to allow people to make travel plans in advance. But until we get the dates for Internationals and what the Championship Points values and thresholds will be, it's hard to set actual targets.

I'm also excited that Denver has been added to the circuit as the replacement Mountain West regional, as it gives me a good excuse to visit a city I've wanted to see for quite a while! I hope the Rockies are in town while we're all there, I want to check out Coors Field. Already booked a room at the Hyatt for Dallas, too.

Eurofolks, hold tight. I wouldn't be surprised to see far more Special Events added to the calendar down the line.

edit: Athens is gone too, yikes. That's effectively 3 NA Regionals that have been completely cut from the schedule (5 in the last 3 years with Phoenix and Seattle nuked after '16-'17) and another one moved over one more state to go with the NE move from Massachusetts to Connecticut.

Last edited:
What happened to Vancouver? Canada only gets the one regional then? Is pokemon dead in Canada? Bleak

2 Europian regionals? Is that a freaking joke? ONLY 2? what's that kind of bs. Why do we only get 2? WOW. I really hope they're going to add to that because only 2 just sucks, and they're BOTH in the UK.
2 years ago only 2 were revealed at this time and then then went and announced 6 more at EUIC.

Then Malamar came along and beat Buzzwole with its summons Necrozma and Ultra Necrozma. What's next? Something dumb that does more damage if your opponent has a lot of energy in the discard? Something with a GX attack that KO's attempted switch-outs? Or even something that defeats the whole Buzz-Mal-Zoro triangle???
Not exactly, but with Lysandre Prism fire could theoretically remove psychic energies from play which completely ruins Malamar.

Not exactly, but with Lysandre Prism fire could theoretically remove psychic energies from play which completely ruins Malamar.
I've been doing a little bit of testing with this play in my Ho-Oh/Kiwae deck, it's definitely the sort of play that you have to time well. I've found Lysandre Prism to be a bit of a dead card against most other matches, but it's definitely one of those cards I'd have and not need, rather than not have in the list and then really need it to close a game against Malamar. More often than not, though, I find Lysandre Prism is best used when you can't find a Guzma to seal the prize lead and need to stall out for a turn.
Interestingly enough, I even found it came in handy against Gardy. I've used it mid game to prevent their Twilight GX from getting back multiple copies of DCE, Choice Band and Rare Candy, respectively.

I've been saying for a while that Ho-Oh is fairly underrated in this meta - by no means do I think it's the answer to the D/F/P Triangle but it definitely holds up well against all three decks. The deck's two biggest enemies are itself (dead draws, missing T1 Kiawe) and Beast Ring, but we all already knew that Beast Ring was broken :p

Back