NOR-CAL Masters Pre Release Report! Getting ready for the new season!

Puckstopper20

Aspiring Trainer
Hey Pokebeach-goers! I'm back with another report for the newest set, 'Dragons Exalted'!
Division: Masters
Participants: 68

Saturday Night: I spent like an hour and a half organizing my binder, and other trade fodder, and I made a quick stop at the bank because I ALWAYS, forget that the Pre Release is cash only..

Sunday Morning

I woke up early and made a quick coffee run, got to GK at around 9:50AM, and met up with my friends. The line didn't take too long to get into the store, and we registered right away.

I don't think I've ever waited so long for a pre release to start.. Finally at around 11:30, Pairings were up.

We hadn't even gotten our packs yet, and we already had to sit in front of our opponents, which I thought was pretty strange.

Packs/Pulls/Deckbuilding

I pulled a Ho-Oh EX, a giant cape, claydol, and a Bouffolant. That is all. My deck looked a little something like...

Pokemon: 13

Ho-Oh EX
Bouffolant
1-1 Claydol
3 Throh, or Sawk? The red one lol
2 Golett
1 Rufflet
1 Audino
1-1 Manectric

T/S/S: 1

1 Giant Cape

Energy: 26

12 {F}
5 {L}
5 {P}
2 {W}
2 {R}

Round 1

I play the guy in front of me, and I know he has a Rayquaza EX FA. I could only assume that he'd do the Rayquaza EX with 39 Energy, and he did.

He mulligans like 9 times, and I took the draw every time because I was going to need everything I could get. He takes two prizes before I promote my bouffolant and hit him for 120 damage. My last stand was with my Manectric, and I had to hit heads for the knockout. Dice roll, Heads.

1-0

Round 2

I start with a Baltoy, he starts Buizel. We take turns doing 10 damage to each other for a few turns until I draw the claydol. I Rapid spin for 30 damage and a switch for both of us. I take the rest with Bouffolant.

2-0

Lunch at... Costco! We meet up after we finish our second round and walk over to costco. One of my friends is lactose, so he had to scrape the cheese off of his pizza and made us eat it. Extra cheese isn't too bad =X

Round 3

This game was one of the longer ones. He gets some Gibbles, Deinos, and a Rufflet going on his bench and all I can think of is "Garchomp -____-." Turns out he didn't have it, and brings out a Braviary, A Roselia, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I have my Bouffolant + Giant Cape and start smashing away at everything for 60. He retreats everything, trying to pull something out but he runs out of pokemon to retreat and I seal the game.

3-0

Round 4

I'm trying REALLY hard to remember how this played out.. Give me a minute...
(Okay, literally like 20 minutes later...)

I totally forgot this one. Sorry -_________- All I remember is winning with Ho Oh EX.

4-0

Round 5

This was the last round, and I was pretty excited until he started to get the mulligans. Get this, he's my first round opponent's brother! :angry

Rayquaza EX FA, Revenge for brotherhood. Coming to a store near you.
Not really.

Anyway, he gets like 7 mulligans, and I take the draws again like my first go with Rayquaza. He starts taking me apart on the second turn, knocking out my basics left and right. Luckily I have my Throh ready to go and I hit him for 40 plus paralysis. He attaches and passes. I hit him for another 40, but I hit the tails. His Rayquaza has 90 left, and my Ho Oh has 3 energy attached, for a max of 80 damage next turn.
I draw the 4th different energy, and Rainbow Burn him for the win.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

A turn AFTER knocking out my previous pokemon, he decides to ask how many he's knocked out, and I honestly lost count, so we checked and there were three in the discard pile, but he had 2 prizes left. His misplay (if you want to call it that) allowed me to get the win! I felt bad for the kid, but it's a lesson learned I guess..

5-0

Yayyyy I went undefeated, and it turns out I finished in 1st place after looking at the standings on the Play! Pokemon site.

Props:

Going undefeated
Coin Flips
Coming in 1st
Top decking energy
Rainbow Burn
Trading for 3 extra promo altaria

Slops:

Lame pulls in my last two packs =[

Thanks for reading! Feedback is welcome!

RobertBenjamin

Aspiring Trainer
Good job Puckstopper! Too bad we didnt meet at the end. My 3-0 vs 3-0 match was close and the move that turned the game was a Throh paralyze roll.

Meaty

You can't deny that Psyduck is beast. I guess.
Congrats on getting at least one EX, my pulls in Modesto the day before were pretty bad... Do you think you'll go to Concord this Saturday?

RobertBenjamin

Aspiring Trainer
Meaty said:
Congrats on getting at least one EX, my pulls in Modesto the day before were pretty bad... Do you think you'll go to Concord this Saturday?

Puckstopper are you going to any prereleases this coming Saturday? Im all set for Concord! I will see you this Saturday, Meaty. You should have gone to Santa Clara there were at least 6 shiny Rayquazas pulled from packs ( unluckily I wasnt one of them but I got FA Registeel, FA Mew, and normal Giratina).