General No Longer Allowed to Have an Opinion?

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
Just seems like no matter what message board forum I post on nowadays I'm not welcome anywhere anymore. I can't even have a conversation online without someone getting triggered by something I said that easily offends them because they're too thin skinned. We've become so sensitive about the kinds of things people say on the Internet nowadays that Mods go after users for things they normally wouldn't have gotten in trouble for in the past. Is this really what our society has been reduced to? It's not even about politics or religion anymore when it's about right to free speech.

Say something you're worried about affecting other people and they'll call you out on it. Think differently than someone else even though it wasn't meant to hurt anyone then you're going to get called out on that too. Be careful what you say to others or you'll get hit with a warning or a ban. Most of the time it's fearmongering which I have a terrible habit of that I'm trying to break. Even If you're being logical or use rationale for what you're saying users will still get angry over it. It really feels like the Salem Witchcraft Trials where If you use logic and reason you get burned at the stake.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Welcome to the internet.

It sounds like you're just getting it out of your system (cool beans), but maybe trying to intentionally keep the conversation open could net you a different sort of response? I'm not sure how you usually come across, but if you're coming across close-minded instead of open-minded, then that's a surefire way to get people building a stake. It's even worse in a hivemind though. >.>

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
I think it depends on the subject, ceratin topics might hit closer to home for certain people.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
People in general are sad that they're not able to get away with the stuff they used to be able to say without someone calling them out on it on Twitter or anywhere else. That's what all this whining about Politically Correct / Cancel Culture is all about. They're used to getting away with it but not anymore. This isn't George Orwell's 1984 where the thought police will nail you for speaking out against the party; this is 2020 where If you're not politically correct then you're going to be accused of misogyny and racism. If you don't hate straight white males people are going to automatically think you're a Trump supporter. If you're a Conservative people will think you're racist.

It gives these kinds of people who use this type of propaganda moral superiority to perform all kinds of rights violations and lawlessness. In order to unite a nation you HAVE to love the people who hate you. It's referred to as the Golden Rule. Jesus once said, “So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets” - Matthew 7:12. Social Justice Warriors (SJWs) paint this in a negative light where they hate those they believe to be their enemies when in actuality they themselves are their own worst enemy. It's like we won't be satisfied as a society until our lives have been completely segregated to "Us vs. Them". Is that what we really want? I certainly hope not!

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
That's what all this whining about Politically Correct / Cancel Culture is all about. They're used to getting away with it but not anymore. This isn't George Orwell's 1984 where the thought police will nail you for speaking out against the party; this is 2020 where If you're not politically correct then you're going to be accused of misogyny and racism.
How do you define being politically correct? The way I understand it, it's just about respect. If you use degrading language, you're (rightfully imo) gonna get called out for it. Cancel culture is a bit extreme in that it doesn't give people the chance to grow from their mistakes and be better, but at least it holds people accountable, often people who can't really be held accountable in any other way due to their money, power or popularity (or all of the above).
If you don't hate straight white males people are going to automatically think you're a Trump supporter. If you're a Conservative people will think you're racist. It gives these kinds of people who use this type of propaganda moral superiority to perform all kinds of rights violations and lawlessness.
Propaganda? I thought you just said it's what people thought, i.e. their opinion. Also, what "rights violations and lawlessness" are you talking about? You are free to say and do whatever you want - but you are not free of the consequences. If you don't want to get called out for being racist, misogynist, homophobic, transphobic or literally anything else...just don't be whatever it is you're trying to avoid. You can't be called out for racism if you're at least not saying anything racist.
In order to unite a nation you HAVE to love the people who hate you.
Perhaps, but that's the leader's job - not the general public's. As a leader, you can't play favourites, all of your people are counting on you. Literally no one except for very specific people are trying to "unite the nation."
It's like we won't be satisfied as a society until our lives have been completely segregated to "Us vs. Them". Is that what we really want? I certainly hope not!
American society is already that though, I can think of at least 5 hugely divisive, controversial issues that most people feel very strongly about one way or the other - even the political party system is seen as Republicans vs Liberals.

...in fact, your whole post is pretty divisive. Hmm...