Nintendo Games Losing Popularity

8bitCelebi

Aspiring Trainer
I'm not trying to troll anyone but I need to say that i'm too scared to play Pokemon X and Y or any Nintendo game in general because I keep thinking about how Nintendo might be losing popularity even from handhelds.

First of all, I was expecting Pokemon X and Y to sell at least 20 million copies by the end of the year considering how hyped it was. I was hoping it will kill the popularity of Call of Duty, Minecraft, Angry Birds, and whatnot. But it seems to be selling slower than Black and White did. And I'm seeing more and more people on idevices than on 3ds just because the games are cheaper even though 3ds has an eshop with cheap games as well.

I just want Nintendo to be really popular again. And I want Pokemon X and Y to be more popular than Angry Birds.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
RE: I'm too scared to play any Nintendo games since Christmas

Don't worry about popularity. If you think the game is fun, play it. If you don't, then don't. Popularity has nothing to do with it.

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer

keep playing 3DS! :D

be a trend setter! :)

PsychedelicBreakfast

We can live beside the ocean leave the fire behind

Then support Nintendo by buying their systems and games... It's true they've lost popularity over the last few years, but if you're a fan then continue to be a fan. I have only Nintendo systems in my house (okay, and a Sega Genesis), not because I'm a fanboy, but because I grew up with them. I never cared for Playstation, and never felt the urge to buy an Xbox. For me, Nintendo characters have a kind of magic behind them that keeps me interested, something I don't feel with other franchise mascots. I'll always play the next Mario game, the next Zelda game, the next Pikmin game, you name it.

To me, the popular games for PS and XB are just flashes in a pan. They're relevant only until the next installment comes along and then they're forgotten and never played again (and, again, this is my opinion). If Nintendo eventually falls off the face of the earth, I'll still always have my old Nintendo systems to fall back on.

Guts

CyberPhunk

What are you even talking about

How does Call of Duty or Minecraft or the """popular games""" have any effect on Nintendo games in the slightest? Are you afraid Animal Crossing New Leaf is going to have killstreaks? I don't understand

8bitCelebi

Aspiring Trainer

PsychedelicBreakfast said:
Then support Nintendo by buying their systems and games... It's true they've lost popularity over the last few years, but if you're a fan then continue to be a fan. I have only Nintendo systems in my house (okay, and a Sega Genesis), not because I'm a fanboy, but because I grew up with them. I never cared for Playstation, and never felt the urge to buy an Xbox.

I see. I only want to watch shows on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network because that's what I grew up with. I still even watch Blue's Clues because that's a show I grew up with. I never watch anything live action unless it's comedy based.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer

Well the big reasons why Nintendo's been losing popularity recently is because they've been making alot of terrible business decisions especially in the YouTube Community although not nearly as bad as Capcom has (thank God!), the Wii U is arguably their worst console since the Virtual Boy back in '95 where as with the 3DS while it's their best handheld console that's keeping them afloat they still could've tapped into smartphone/tablet gaming by merging with a company like Apple for more efficient on the go gaming in that sense although you would end up losing the game pad in favor of touch screen controls.

Nintendo has also been playing things way too safe instead of taking risks with IP's (Intellectual Properties) that they refuse to dust off their shelves to make a profit like Earthbound (Mother 2) for example which was brought on the Wii U Virtual Console by popular demand. Do you know how many years people wanted Earthbound 2 (Mother 3) to be released on a Nintendo console or handheld but never came? Part of the big reason why it never came especially with Earthbound almost not getting re-released was due to copyright infringement claims that needed to be ironed out.

Bottom line is that Nintendo needs to be more involved with their fans and their community as much as Sony has with their fans and community in terms of the PlayStation consoles and the PS Vita in that retrospect. Instead of trying to copy the competition Nintendo should embrace it instead with online multiplayer and voice chat to connect with gamers worldwide. Nintendo shouldn't try to be unique and different to the point that it hurts them which will ultimately be their downfall in the video game industry especially with their hardware regardless of how much money they have in the bank.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Card Slinger J said:
Well the big reasons why Nintendo's been losing popularity recently is because they've been making alot of terrible business decisions especially in the YouTube Community although not nearly as bad as Capcom has (thank God!), the Wii U is arguably their worst console since the Virtual Boy back in '95 where as with the 3DS while it's their best handheld console that's keeping them afloat they still could've tapped into smartphone/tablet gaming by merging with a company like Apple for more efficient on the go gaming in that sense although you would end up losing the game pad in favor of touch screen controls.

Nintendo has also been playing things way too safe instead of taking risks with IP's (Intellectual Properties) that they refuse to dust off their shelves to make a profit like Earthbound (Mother 2) for example which was brought on the Wii U Virtual Console by popular demand. Do you know how many years people wanted Earthbound 2 (Mother 3) to be released on a Nintendo console or handheld but never came? Part of the big reason why it never came especially with Earthbound almost not getting re-released was due to copyright infringement claims that needed to be ironed out.

Bottom line is that Nintendo needs to be more involved with their fans and their community as much as Sony has with their fans and community in terms of the PlayStation consoles and the PS Vita in that retrospect. Instead of trying to copy the competition Nintendo should embrace it instead with online multiplayer and voice chat to connect with gamers worldwide. Nintendo shouldn't try to be unique and different to the point that it hurts them which will ultimately be their downfall in the video game industry especially with their hardware regardless of how much money they have in the bank.

Merging with Apple wouldn't have made things any better for the 3DS. In fact, it probably would've made things worse. The removal of traditional controls would be a major negative, because some of the games need them to work. Remember all of those gimmicky on rails games at the beginning of the DS' lifespan (Yoshi Touch and Go, Kirby Canvas Curse)? Expect to see more of those.

I do agree with you that Nintendo has been playing it safe, though. And not just because they left behind a few of their more "mature" IPs like F-Zero or Star Fox. Most of their games from the past 3-4 years have gotten a bit rehashy. Pretty much every Mario game has played the same since Galaxy, the only real differences being the power ups available in the game. And look at Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, a vanilla platformer with no real improvements over the last one (seriously, what does anyone see in this game?). This is especially problematic on the Wii U, where I haven't seen many games that actually promote the console's features.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon

Rest assured, enjoy Pokémon, and have fun.

I also think Pokémon should have and deserves (as a series) more popularity than those games you've mentioned but it's what we have. It's like voting for a political party that is clearly better, yet the majority of people still votes on the old and liar ones and we're stuck with the choices of the majority. Like someone said above, support the company by buying Pokémon and perhaps other games you might like and when trying to experience something new or try a new series, see Nintendo's first.

Only my handhels are Nintendo's and my home consoles have always been Sony, because of Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania titles released for it (except Lords of Shadow, to hell with those) and some other titles that I like like Assassin's Creed, Driver and Onimusha, yet I'm very fond of Nintendo because the first console that I asked my parents to offer me was a GameBoy Color and the company seems to be the most caring to gamers and to come up with new ways of gameplay experience, namely in consoles.

PS: I just love the choice we have when choosing the color of the handheld and Nintendo was a pioneer in that!

Shining Raikou

Your friendly neighborhood Raikou fan!
Elite Member
Advanced Member

The fact of the matter is that Apple devices can be used for more than gaming and that is why they are far more popular. The iPod and iPhone were huge players in the music and mobile industry upon their introduction. Nintendo shouldn't even compete with Apple unless they decide to introduce a mobile phone. Quite frankly, seeing Nintendo's handling of operating systems on the Wii and 3DS, I would be extremely skeptical that they could pull off a successful mobile offering to compete against the powerhouses that are Apple and Android.

The beauty of the 3DS is that it is a dedicated gaming console and doesn't try to be everything to everyone. It's unique in it's own way and is more focused on the games with it's design. Some gaming companies (See Playstation with Playstation Now) are moving toward making their older games available on several different devices, which may spark a trend. We may see Nintendo lease or start to offer mobile apps or ways to new ways get their games in our pockets/on the go. The mobile industry is growing, the gaming industry is looking to innovate. It may be a natural direction for most game companies to take in the future.

I wouldn't let sales figures or specifics get the best of your judgement. Play what you want to play because it works, you know you like it, and you want to play it. I don't give a crap what other people think about my purchases. It's for me and no one else, and if I think it's a good product (like the 3DS) then I'm proud to be counted among the numbers of people who bought one and supported it. No matter how small. I will say that I wasn't impressed with the 3DS and Wii U launch, and I think a lot of their problems stem from marketing their products effectively. Nintendo does have some things to improve upon but companies tend to have their highs and lows. Stick with what you love if it works, no matter the hardships the company endures.

professorlight

Ice Queen

First, read what card slinger, bolt and shining raikou said (I don't agree completely with card slinger, but I do with the core of his argument).

Yes, nintendo is playing it too safe; they don't have new IPs and their new games are becoming rehashes of the same things.
But no, nintendo is not going anywhere right now. As raikou said, they do their own thing, and that's good; they shouldn't start going mobile, multiplayer, voicechat, cameras and social network support just because it's what the cool kids are doing.

But furthermore, the worrying thing is something else, and I'm assuming you are being absolutely honest here:

I'm not trying to troll anyone but I need to say that i'm too scared to play Pokemon X and Y or any Nintendo game in general because I keep thinking about how Nintendo might be losing popularity even from handhelds.

First of all, I was expecting Pokemon X and Y to sell at least 20 million copies by the end of the year considering how hyped it was. I was hoping it will kill the popularity of Call of Duty, Minecraft, Angry Birds, and whatnot. But it seems to be selling slower than Black and White did. And I'm seeing more and more people on idevices than on 3ds just because the games are cheaper even though 3ds has an eshop with cheap games as well.

I just want Nintendo to be really popular again. And I want Pokemon X and Y to be more popular than Angry Birds.

Can you see why that is worrying? I could take apart your argument with purely logical reasoning (as the boys tried to do), but I feel that won't do a bit of good.
You're telling us that you are actualy afraid (a natural, instinctual and unconscious response to danger) of playing a game because it was not so popular as expected... and that might push nintendo more in the general direction of bankruptcy?

Darling, that's insane.
And that's not hyperbole. You reacted to a perceived threat to a gaming company in the same way you would react to something that could cause you actual harm, with fear and rejection. If nintendo is so ingrained in your identity (and, again, assuming that is indeed what you feel) that you take personally any kind of threat against them, you need to see someone, talk to your parents, a psychologist, someone.

If this was an apple forum, such a thing might even be encouraged. But it's not.

I'm assuming here you're fairly young, so it could be a phase, but if you really, literally meant what you said, GO. GET. HELP.

Breakfast Cereal

Aspiring Trainer

"I AM TERRIFIED OF VIDEO GAMES BECAUSE THEY MIGHT NOT BE POPULAR SWEET JESUS SAVE US ALL"

The weirdest thing about this other than the fact that you're scared of playing a video game is that you're wrong. X and Y sold like hotcakes.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/21/pokemon-x-and-y-fastest-3ds-title-to-hit-1-million-sales

this thread what i don't even

EDIT: Also, professorlight, I loved every bit of your post here, especially this part:
professorlight said:
If this were an apple forum, such a thing might even be encouraged. But it's not.

BestUserNameEver

Gistica99 2014

this reminds me of when i was too scared to eat anything because no one sold my favorite food at a fast food restaurant

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer

Shining Raikou said:
Some gaming companies (See Playstation with Playstation Now) are moving toward making their older games available on several different devices, which may spark a trend.

SR, one problem... No modern Sony consoles can play previous gen titles here in the UK. At all. The PS3 only had backwards compatibility for the first few days it was out.

Also, the Wii got rid of its GC parts about 3 years ago.

Shining Raikou

Your friendly neighborhood Raikou fan!
Elite Member
Advanced Member

Blob55 said:
Shining Raikou said:
Some gaming companies (See Playstation with Playstation Now) are moving toward making their older games available on several different devices, which may spark a trend.

SR, one problem... No modern Sony consoles can play previous gen titles here in the UK. At all. The PS3 only had backwards compatibility for the first few days it was out.

Also, the Wii got rid of its GC parts about 3 years ago.

I meant devices like tablets, smartphones, TV's, etc. Not just gaming devices.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3avWsKs8iU[/video]

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer

Breakfast Cereal said:
The weirdest thing about this other than the fact that you're scared of playing a video game is that you're wrong. X and Y sold like hotcakes.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/21/pokemon-x-and-y-fastest-3ds-title-to-hit-1-million-sales

Pokemon X and Y did sell like hotcakes but how much in comparison to previous Gen's in the Pokemon video game franchise as well as against another game launched around the same time being Grand Theft Auto V for the PS3?

TheTPCProductionz

Aspiring Trainer

I always play my Nintendo 3DS in college, I admit I didn't buy many of their games this year.

Zelda, Pokémon X and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon team GTI. I read Nintendo magazine every month, I am proud to be a fan.

Teal

黄前さん らしい ね

I don't understand what what you described has to do with fearing to play games. It's not like your logic is bad, there is no logic at all behind what you just wrote.

8bitCelebi

Aspiring Trainer

Teal said:
I don't understand what what you described has to do with fearing to play games. It's not like your logic is bad, there is no logic at all behind what you just wrote.

Maybe it's because I was acting differently after my wisdom teeth were taken out. I guess I lost my wisdom?

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer

Maybe If Nintendo focused on other forms of entertainment aside from games like their competition with Sony and Microsoft they probably wouldn't be in the mess they're in right now it's just that they're too afraid to step away from their comfort zone that's hurting their business model in the long run.