Writing Nightfall-Part 2-Chapter 1

RE: Nightfall-Chapter 10 is up

Personal business prevented me from completing Chapter 11 earlier. Here it is.
Chapter 11-On the Edge of Darkness​

Bill and Gina didn’t sleep much. A few hours later, while it was still dark outside, they were walking at a fast pace up the path leading to Driftveil. All their hopes were now on this city.

Bill had quickly explained his plans in the first few minutes of their walk.

-The number of wild Pokemon has decreased dramatically. There are still considerable numbers out there, but they aren’t easy to find and don’t trust humans. It is possible for us to ally with them, but for that we’ll need to capture at least a few. Then we can show the rest that we’re trustworthy and possibly manage to control them. However, for all this to get into motion, we need Pokeballs. I only have three more, which is by no means enough. We need a lot more.

-And what does Driftveil have to do with this?

-There’s one place in the world which still makes Pokeballs, apart from the Shadows’ HQ, and that’s the Kalos Pokeball factory. We’ll be hijacking a boat trip to the land of beauty.

-Wait a second. Obviously, the last Pokeball factory in the world will be heavily guarded. How are we gonna get inside?

-That I don’t know yet. However, don’t think security will be so tight. The Shadows have relaxed over the last years. They’ve become overconfident, and there’s always a way to fool such people. With some help from other people who we need to recruit, careful planning and a bit of luck, I think that we’ll be able to steal enough Pokeballs to start a revolution.

-Risky.

-Yeah, but with very high return. We’re gonna promote ourselves and at the same time humiliate our opponents. Imagine the world’s reaction if they realize that the last place on earth which allows humans to control Pokemon was ransacked. We’re gonna deal a severe blow to them. Besides, Kalos is the ideal region to start a revolution. It’s very far away from Kanto, where the Shadows’ HQ and main force are located, and if we manage to get Kalos under our control, we’ll also take that Pokeball factory for good.

-You’ve thought this through, haven’t you? To think you cringed at the idea of a revolution just a few days before…

-People change.

-I guess.

With that, they continued in silence.​

***​

As the cloud warmed to the first rays of light Grim and his henchmen prepared to descend in the castle. The morning light had revealed a hole on the last tower’s roof, probably the only entrance to the crumbling ruin.

Grim got in contact with the Driftveil Police. He had to make sure the fugitives wouldn’t vanish in Unova or in the sea in case they somehow managed to outrun him.

-Driftveil Police. Do you want to report something?

-This is Shadow Agent Grim. He smiled as he heard the sleepy man on the other end of the line roughly waking up and trying to understand what was going on.

-Agent? How can we help you?

-I have clear suspicions that two criminals-specifically the fugitives from Castelia-are heading towards your city. They might try to use the old Relic Passage, or they might come through other means. Be prepared for anything. I don’t want them to leave the city. Make sure to apprehend them when they show up. I’ll arrive there soon.

-Of course Agent! We’ll follow your orders to the letter!

-Good. Now, get on with it.

The man at the other end of the line hung up. Grim tossed his cell in his pocket and turned towards his men.

-Bring some rope! We’re gonna climb to the roof of the tower and get in through that hole we saw before. Be careful. The building is ready to fall. Try not to damage anything, or you’ll get us either buried or locked outside.

As his men scurried to bring rope from one of the vehicles, Grim allowed himself a smile. Soon, the renegades would be apprehended. There was no chance of failure. The leadership would be pleased.​

***​

She rubbed her eyes and rose from her bed. The sound of the cops from the station near her house had completely ruined her nice morning sleep.

Lexie was used to the noise from the station. Obviously, people were going in and out all the time, guards shifted, cars dashed away or roared to a halt… It wasn’t a quiet place by any means. This morning, however, was different. It wasn’t the usual commotion; it sounded as if half the station at least was moving out. Just as she thought this a unit passed outside her house, running and shouting to one another towards the drawbridge. One of them stayed behind long enough to stick something on her garden door. He then followed the rest of his group.

Annoyed, Lexie quickly changed and walked outside to remove whatever it was that decorated her door. She opened it and was surprised to see that it was a wanted poster. A guy and a girl, around her age. According to the poster, they were very dangerous criminals who used Pokemon falsely and posed a threat to everyone around them.
Intrigued, she pulled the poster off her door and went inside. There, she examined it more carefully. Everything seemed to match. The two “dangerous criminals” were almost certainly the same people who had made a fool of the Castelia Police recently.

Lexie didn’t have many reasons to complain about her life. Her parents had been quite wealthy, and she was among the few people of her age who didn’t work at the port or the Cold Storage. After their death, she was living on her own in the house. She didn’t have much trouble with the cops, except once or twice when a neighbor had called in to complain about the noise she and a few friends of high society were making. She definitely didn’t hold any liking of the local station, though. Despite her connections to the so-called “aristocracy” of the city, she had friends who worked down at the storage, and she greatly disliked how their employers and the cops treated them. After the death of one of her friends last year-he had been crushed by a container at the Storage-and the complete indifference of the authorities towards her family, she housed great hatred and disgust towards the Shadows and their instruments. She had often thought about doing something to make things better, but she never had the opportunity to do more than just give some money to some of her most poverty-stricken friends, money that met with gratefulness, but didn’t really change the situation.

The Castelia incident a few days ago had attracted her attention. Those two people… With Pokemon aiding them, they were probably the most suited to change the world. Lexie had admired their actions. And now, they were coming in Driftveil.

Lexie smiled. She had to find them. The police was chasing them, and she could give them shelter. She could help them. She finally had the chance she always wanted. The chance to take part in something great.​

RE: Nightfall-Chapter 11 is up

Here we go, Chapter 12! This is gonna be one of the last chapters in Part 1. Since this is turning out to be bigger than I thought, I decided to split it in parts. Enjoy!
Chapter 12-Staring in the Dark​

It wasn’t until many hours later that they saw the exit.

Concealed by sick-looking vines and leaves, but otherwise free of any obstruction, the doorway to the outer world lay before them.

Bill and Gina moved outside. After staying in the underground for so long, even the dim twilight was too much for their eyes. They stood there, momentarily blinded, trying to adjust to their surroundings.

A century ago, Driftveil City was home to the Pokemon World Tournament, one of the greatest, if not the greatest, Pokemon battling event of the old era. The tournament had already stopped before the Nightfall, and the facilities were left there to remind the world of an age of battles and glory. Later, the buildings were demolished and part of the area was dismantled. In its place, the Shadows rebuilt the Cold Storage, the main source of the town’s income before the Tournament was introduced, and made a second port. Ships with merchandise now docked there, while the old port at the northeast of the town was used for passenger lines, which no longer stopped at Castelia’s abandoned docks.

The traffic at both ports had allowed Driftveil to expand, but it had its toll on the surrounding area. The sea was polluted and had taken a bleak color, matching the grayish, depressing atmosphere. Through the heavy air, one could still make out the Charizard Bridge, which still guarded the old port. Passenger and merchandise ships from all corners of the world came and go, and the city had transformed into a buzzing center of activity. However, the working conditions and the attitude of the workers didn’t allow any liveliness to show. It was smaller than the likes of Castelia or Lumiose, but it was just as dull.

This grey city was hopefully Bill and Gina’s last stop in Unova. Those ships, lazily swaying in the current, were their means of escaping the region.

They stood side by side, staring at the picture in front of them.

-We’ll wait a bit more until it’s dark, and then we’ll sneak in, Bill finally said. They don’t expect us here, so security probably won’t be very tight, but you can never be cautious enough.

Gina simply nodded her head in agreement. Above them, the sky was slowly becoming darker as the last light of day faded away.​

***​

Grim’s forces were moving quickly through the tunnel. According to his calculations, they would reach Driftveil by midnight. Just in time to trap the two fugitives between two fires.

They had safely descended in the depths of the castle. They lost some time trying to navigate the labyrinth of chambers, but they soon managed to draw a path and find the exit into the Relic Passage.

On their way, they came across a ravaged chamber-burned walls, broken columns and full of sand. The columns didn’t seem to be broken for long, though, and the ash on the walls was definitely not three thousand years old. Grim was quite sure it was the kids. If he was right, then his theory that they came through the passage was right as well, and he had no reason to believe otherwise. Who else could it possibly be, in a place as rough as the Desert Resort, in the depths of a ruin forgotten by time itself? He couldn’t understand how the disaster was caused, though. He remembered Jackal had a Fire-type, but how strong was it and why would he let it loose? These questions troubled him, but he decided to forget about them. He would ask Jackal after he had captured him.

Now, as the group rushed down the dark passage, Grim smiled. The renegades were cornered. Soon, those two punks who thought they could mock the shadows would find themselves surrounded. No more sewers. No more incompetent police officers. This time, he, Grim, Shadow Agent, would make sure that the kids would be arrested and his mission a success.​

***​

-Let’s go.

Bill and Gina quietly moved towards the city. The last light of day had died out, and the city’s lights were coming to life. They moved towards a dark road, with little light. A small alley leading outside of the city, to the edges of the cove. It was also deserted.

-Looks like we’re lucky, Gina muttered, a bit bewildered at the events. Walking in the city like this seemed way too easy. Could we possibly be that lucky?

-Careful, Bill replied back. Take a look at the road ahead.

The alley opened up into a big avenue, brightly lit. Worse than the lights, though, were the groups of figures patrolling it, moving up and down its length.
Gina cursed under her breath. She knew they couldn’t be so lucky.

-Cops! They’re everywhere!

-We need to find a way to get past them, though. The passenger port is at the northeast of the city, and we need to get there.

-Any ideas?

-Not many. None, to be precise.

They retreated back into the relative safety of the alley, and sat down to plan their next move.

-OK, so we’ve got a road bathed in light and enough cops to stop a strike. What are we doing in such a situation?

-There isn’t much we can do. I guess we could try to cross the road while they’re occupied with somebody, but that’s easier said than done. It’s late, and I don’t see many people going up and down the road. Not to mention that they need to pass somewhere close. No, our only bet is to cross it like the innocent people we are. If we are interrogated, we say we had gone out for the evening. It’s a nice night, quite cool for summer, so it is perfectly reasonable. We went to the outskirts of the town, at the edge of the cove, so that’s why we’re dusty and we carry a backpack.

-Bright.

-Anything better?​

***​

-What are these two doing? From where did they show up?

-I don’t know. Stop them and ask them.

-Will do. The policeman turned towards the two figures that had almost crossed the road. Hey, you two! Hold it right there!

The two policemen approached the couple. The guy looked up and glanced at them briefly.

-Is there a problem, officers?

-Why are you outside this late at night with a backpack?

-Well, it seemed like a nice evening, so we decided to go picnic at the edge of the cove.
Did we do anything wrong?

-So that’s why you look a bit dusty then?

-Indeed, officer.

-Hmm… Show me your IDs.

The girl rummaged through her pockets, then she looked up and smiled apologetically.

-I’m afraid we’ve left them at home. I trust you can let it slip for this time, officer? She winked at him.

-Well, you see-

-Wait! You fool! Take a look at the pictures!

The couple moved quickly. The guy punched the policeman as he turned to look at the picture while the girl landed a swift kick in the gut at his colleague.

-Run.

Bill and Gina disappeared into the streets of Driftveil as the policemen behind them called for help. Soon, they heard shouts and footsteps as the rest of the patrol ran towards the street they had taken.

-To all units! The targets have been spotted at the South Port Road! They’re escaping towards the city center. Cut off their escape routes! Don’t allow them to get away!

The command buzzed through the city, spurring the police force into action as they moved in to secure the city center.

Down at the Relic Passage, Grim’s phone rang. The signal was faint, but they were close enough to the surface for the voice at the other end to be heard.

-Agent Grim! The kids you seek have been spotted! They are currently being chased through the city!

-Secure all exits from the city! Don’t leave them any way to escape! My men and I will be there in an hour to help.

-Right, sir!

The signal dropped and the line went dead. Grim threw the phone back in his pocket and shouted to his men.

-Faster! The fugitives have been spotted in Driftveil! Move!

At that time, Bill and Gina had turned around to face their attackers.

-We mustn’t allow them to cut our means of escape. We’re gonna have to take out a few.

Volcarona and Blaziken emerged from their Pokeballs just as the patrol running behind them appeared around the corner of the road.

-Hi Jump Kick!

-Hurricane!

Blaziken leaped through the air to land a devastating kick on the building at the corner. With a loud noise, the place it kicked came off and the debris fell on top of the policemen, who scattered, trying to avoid it. Then the Hurricane hit them, catching most of them of guard and throwing them around.

-Flare Blitz!

Blaziken charged at the group and crashed into them, sending anyone in its path flying and burning. Those who remained quickly ran back, while screaming in their receivers for reinforcements.

-That should do for now. Return!

Blaziken and Volcarona vanished inside their Pokeballs as Bill and Gina once again broke into a run. However, a nasty surprise awaited them shortly after.

-Damn it!

They had come out in another big avenue, only this time there were a lot more policemen around than before. Behind them, they heard people running and the screeching of tiers. Reinforcements had arrived. They were surrounded.

-Looks like this is it, then, Gina said as she pulled out Volcarona’s Pokeball once again. Her face was grim, but determined.

Bill nodded. They had reached the end of their path. He pulled out his own Pokeballs, ready to fight.

And then, to the policemen’s surprise, they vanished.​

RE: Nightfall-Chapter 13 is up

OK, so Chapter 13 is ready. If all goes well, there will be one more Chapter before the end of Part 1-Through the Dark Age. Part 2-Into the Storm, will come shortly after this is finished. It'll probably stay in the same thread, so if you're following (I know you don't, but just in case), don't worry; everything's gonna stay together. Without further ado:
Chapter 13-Escape from the Darkness​

-What the hell is going on here?

Bill and Gina found themselves on the floor of a house. Not too shabby, Gina thought as she took in her surroundings. Fine floors, smoothly colored walls, expensive and modern furniture, a TV that looked as expensive as the apartment in Castelia, and a beautiful smirking blonde girl on the couch, dressed like a supermodel, with a tired but still elegant-looking Kirlia, also smirking, sitting next to her.

Wait a second… a Pokemon?!

-A Pokemon! Her hand, still holding Volcarona’s Pokeball, twitched, as she automatically prepared for battle. Who are you? What is this place? Why are we here?

-Hey, easy there wild girl. The girl on the couch gave her a confident smile. Don’t ask all the questions at the same time! I can’t answer properly like this, can I?

-OK then, question one, Bill intervened. How did we end up here?

-Thank this little lady here. She gently caressed Kirlia’s hair. She used almost all of her energy to Teleport you here. Next time, try to stand closer.

-Teleport? I guess this explains how… but still doesn’t explain why. Gina looked at the girl with a questioning expression. You could get in major trouble for doing this… not to mention that you don’t want people to know you have a Pokemon. Who are you?

-Oh, of course, where are my manners? The girl laughed, a short, ringing sound. Allow me to introduce myself then. My name is Lexie Rhodes. I’m the owner of this house, and a great fan of renegade punks pulling off stunts against the Castelia Police. You’re Bill Jackal and Gina Sabbath, unless I’ve made a terrible mistake. A few days ago, you caused some trouble in Castelia by kicking the cop boss’s butt and then escaping through the sewers, much to the anger of all Shadows across the regions. The first known incident of Pokemon trainers appearing for at least twenty years. Do I forget something.

-Not really. Bill smiled. He liked this girl. She seemed confident and clever, if only a little carefree. But that doesn’t exactly explain why you helped us.

-Isn’t it obvious, Jackal? I admire what you’re doing. I think you have the chance to change this world. So I decided that ending such a noble quest in the hands of the Driftveil cops is kinda shameful, don’t you agree?

-Completely, Gina replied. But what have the Shadows done to you? Don’t take this the wrong way, but it seems a bit weird that-

-That a girl of the high society would care, right? Lexie sighed. Unfortunately, you’re correct for the most part. Rich people don’t tend to care about others as long as they can make money, I’ll give you that.

She glared at the duo, then adjusted her position on the couch so that Kirlia could sit on her lap.

-I used to have a friend, you know. Not the gossip clique of rich girls or the circle of crazy boy fans, although I also have both of these. No, I mean a real friend. Someone I could trust. Weirdly enough, or perhaps not, she was a poor laborer who worked down at the harbor. When my parents died, it was her support that got me back on my feet. I was all doom and gloom, and she cheered me up. She was perfect. I could tell her anything. Then, one day, she was arrested, and executed the same night for “treason”. I knew her well, and I knew that she wouldn’t hurt a fly. Treason? Please. I only realized what was going on when I opened my mailbox the next day and found a package. Inside, there was a farewell letter and a Pokeball. She knew they were coming for her, and entrusted me with her last words and her Kirlia. I underwent questioning, of course, but I managed to pull it off. But my friend was gone. Kirlia and I built a relationship over time. She could understand how I felt, and she sympathized. And through her own pain, I realized what bastards our “leaders” are. That was it. I’ve had a burning desire to raze Saffron and hunt every Shadow on the planet until not even their memory remains ever since. And now, you appear. You’re doing all these amazing things. You beat the Shadows in their city, in their game, in front of the whole world. You’re everything I ever wanted to be. Do you think I wouldn’t risk getting exposed to help you?

Bill and Gina exchanged a look. Then, Bill turned to Lexie.

-We understand. Thank you for your help out there, Lexie. Allow us to share our plans with you. Perhaps you can aid us further after you’ve heard them.​

***​

-What do you mean, they vanished?

Grim was furious. He had arrived in the city around midnight, confident that he would soon have the fugitives, only to learn that they had escaped the last moment.

-This is unheard of! What happened? Did the earth swallow them? Did they become air? How is it possible for human beings to disappear just like that?

-Well, sir, we don’t know. The policeman in front of him was obviously scared to death. We managed to surround them at Main Street, however, they suddenly disappeared without a trace. One second they were there. The next, it was as if they never existed.

What could this possibly be... Grim wondered. He was sure he had heard a similar story in the past. An elusive trainer, one that not even the Agency had managed to capture. They said he was using an Alakazam…

-That’s it!

Grim slammed his fist on the table.

-Teleport! A Pokemon used Teleport to get them out of there!

-But sir, the policeman nervously interrupted him, the reports and the unlucky guards that faced them clearly state the existence of three Pokemon, none of which can learn Teleport.

-Is that so? Grim looked slightly disappointed. Perhaps they didn’t show their third Pokemon? And what do you mean by three? The reports from Castelia mentioned two.

-Well, our men are certain that they saw a third. A fire moth, they said. Whipped up a wind that threw them all over the place.

Volcarona?! Is that what caused the damage at the Castle? But how did they manage to catch it?

-Three Pokemon, huh? It looks like their team keeps getting bigger. What makes you so sure that they didn’t have a fourth Pokemon, waiting on the line to save them in a pinch?

-Um, I… The policeman was sweating and looked nervous.

-Excuse me, Agent. A young woman entered the room. I did some research on past incidents in Driftveil, and I believe I’ve found something that might interest you.
She handed Grim an envelope, then swiftly withdrew from the office. Grim quickly went through the contents of the envelope.

Could it be…

It was a case from a few years back. A young girl was apprehended and executed for using Pokemon. Unfortunately, the authorities never managed to find that Pokemon. The criminal’s friend, a high society orphan, denied any knowledge of the incident, and the search in her house proved fruitless. The Pokemon was considered to be lost, and the case closed. According to the information, the Pokemon in question was a Kirlia… a Pokemon that could learn Teleport.

-Send men to cover all the city exits. Then, assemble a strike force. We’re moving towards the house of Lexie Rhodes. She’s suspected of helping and hiding the fugitives we’re chasing.

-The Rhodes girl? The policeman looked confused. She lives just down the road, you know. Why would you think she’s involved.

-You’re not here to ask questions, officer, but to obey orders. Grim’s expression was cold.

-O-of course! Right away, sir!​

***​

-So let me get this straight. You want a boat ride to Kalos in order to start up a revolution? And you need my help with getting on a boat?

-That’s right. Bill nodded in agreement.

-That’s easily settled. But I have one condition. I’m coming with you.
Bill started to say something, but Gina interrupted him.

-She has a Pokemon, and dreams. We need her, and she needs us. Don’t be too fast to reject the offer. She then turned towards Lexie. You do know the odds are against us, right?

-Well, in that case, Lexie said smiling, I think I’ll help them become a bit better.

-It’s a deal then. Gina looked at Bill, who sighed.

-Alright, alright, he said reluctantly. But don’t ever say we didn’t warn you.

-Won’t happen. Now, for our transportation…

She pulled a cell from her pocket and dialed a number.

-Good evening, captain. I’m sorry to bother you in the middle of the night, but I want the ship ready to sail as soon as possible. Gather your men and prepare for departure, Make sure you don’t draw attention, especially, from the cops. When do I want it ready? She glanced in question at Bill, who, a bit surprised, said “about 4 o’ clock? Say, 4 hours from now?”

Gina nodded in agreement, and Lexie got back at the phone.

-Are four hours OK for you, captain? Three are sufficient? Good to hear. We’ll be there soon. Get ready for a long trip. And remember… don’t attract attention.
With that, she hung up, and met with the confused looks from Bill and Gina.

-What, can’t a rich girl have a ship of her own?

-How rich were your parents exactly? Bill asked, a bit sarcastically.

-Quite. We were considered the richest family in Driftveil, for your information. We owned half the Cold Storage.

-Right.

-Is there a problem? I thought you wanted to get to Kalos?

-Yeah, you’re right. No problem at all. Just a bit… surprised.

At that moment, there was a loud knock on the door.

-Driftveil Police! We have serious reasons to believe that there are Pokemon users inside. Open up quickly!​

RE: Nightfall-Chapter 13 is up

This is the finale of Part 1. It's the longest chapter and completes the Unova story. Part 2 will revolve around Kalos. Presenting to you, Over the Dark:
Chapter 14-Over the Dark​

-Now what?

Lexie’s confident look had disappeared. She had gone white.

-How did they know?

-Now’s not the time for this! Bill said harshly. Don’t lose it! Tell me, is there a back door?

-No. There are some windows in the basement, but what would-

-They will do! Bill grabbed Lexie from the arm and pulled her to her feet. Gina scooped
Kirlia in her arms. The blue-haired Pokemon –weren’t Kirlia green and white? Bill thought absent-mindedly- protested weakly, but otherwise didn’t resist.

-Lead the way!

Lexie seemed to regain her composure. She pointed at the corridor.

-The door to the basement is there!

At the front door, there were more loud thuds, and then a voice was heard.

-Stand aside. I’ll break this door.

Bill closed the basement door behind him and followed Gina and Lexie down the staircase and towards the windows as an explosion was heard-probably the front door destroyed by a Pokemon attack. The house was suddenly overflowing with policemen.

-Quickly, to the windows! Bill urged them, looking over his shoulder. The policemen could break in the basement at any moment.

-The house is probably surrounded, what are you planning to do? Lexie protested. She then realized Bill was looking at Kirlia.

-That’s out of the question!

-She won’t have to exhaust herself that much. She’ll be right next to us, and she only has to Teleport us a few hundred feet, just so we can get out of the circle. Do you think that’s possible.

Lexie looked at Kirlia, who nodded in agreement. She sighed and unbolted one of the windows.

-Out.​

***​

The force Grim had asked for quickly assembled, and he gave the order to surround the blocks in the houses vicinity. He and the rest of the policemen moved towards the house. There was no answer from inside as one of them beat on the door, so he decided to break in.

-Stand aside. I’ll break this door.

With a flick of his hand, he produced a Pokeball that opened to reveal the slim, demonic figure of a Houndoom. Many men backed away as it gave a low roar, a sound that made them shiver as they looked into its eyes, glinting with evil.

-Houndoom, use Fire Blast.

The door burst into burning debris as the huge fireball exploded on it. Several policemen rushed through the opening and into the house. They scattered around in every room looking for the fugitives.

-There’s nobody here!

Grim clenched his fist. Was he wrong? Did the Rhodes girl have nothing to do with this whole situation? Or did her Kirlia use Teleport one last time to take them just out of danger’s grasp?

-Send patrols to the whole city! Cover every place, search every nook and cranny! Don’t leave even the smallest alley out! Find them!​

***​

They materialized about four hundred feet from the house, behind the circle the police had formed around it. Kirlia smiled and sighed in relief, then collapsed. Lexie produced a beautiful, black and golden Pokeball -a Luxury Ball, Bill remembered- and withdrew the Pokemon.

-I hope it’s worth it, Jackal. She put the ball in one of her jacket’s pockets and pulled out her cellphone.

-It will be, I promise, Bill said sternly as she typed a message. She hit the send button and returned the phone to her pocket.

-The Charizard Bridge, she explained. It’s a drawbridge, remember? They’ll be checking every ship leaving from the passenger port. If we are inside, we’ll be found. And we can’t escape because they won’t open the bridge for us. So I asked the captain to finish as quickly as possible and come to meet us at the Cold Storage harbor.

-Let’s see… Gina, who had stayed silent for a while, now spoke. Your captain said that he’ll be ready in three hours. That leaves us with around two and a half hours to stall. We mustn’t get caught until then. Can you lead us to the harbor, Lexie?

-Certainly. The girl smiled. Sorry about panicking before. Allow me to make up for it by showing to you just how useful I can be.

Gina nodded.

-Lead the way.

This time, with Lexie navigating the city for them, it was easier. They moved at a slow, careful pace, often narrowly avoiding the patrols that seemed to be all over the place. The girl guided them through side streets and dark alleys in the direction of the Cold Storage and freedom.

At such a slow pace, more than two hours had passed when they reached the harbor. They made their way towards the entrance to the Relic Passage, now with Gina leading through the dark.

-The captain will be here any moment now. We just have to be patient. I don’t think that
anyone will think of thoroughly searching the area around the cove.

-And that, my dear, is where you’re wrong.

The three turned around, with Bill and Gina each pulling a Pokeball. From the shadows of the bushes around the entrance, a tall man in black appeared. He was smiling in triumph.​

***​

Grim quickly realized that the fugitives wouldn’t attempt to escape from the passenger port. The drawbridge would prevent them from leaving. They would probably try to sneak into a merchandise ship in the Cold Storage port.

He called for a car, took three men with him, and drove to the southern harbor. He searched frantically around the area, and then he decided to go and check the area around the Relic Passage entrance, in case Jackal and Sabbath attempted to return back in the tunnel by taking out the guards of the place. There, his efforts were finally successful.

The renegades arrived there shortly after. There was another girl with them, probably Lexie Rhodes. That damn w****. He had some special treatment ready for her; he had made his job a lot harder.

-And that, my dear, is where you’re wrong.

He and the other policemen emerged from the shadows, taking the group by surprise.

-Who are you? Bill asked through his teeth.

-My name is Grim, of the Shadow Agency. You’re under arrest. Drop the Pokeballs and any weapons you might be carrying.

-Yeah, right. With a flash, Lucario appeared.

-I see. Grim smiled. You’re gonna use a fast, mind reading, Steel type Pokemon to intercept any projectiles my men might fire to incapacitate you? A good idea. But can you protect yourself from this as well?

He produced his own Pokeball as he spoke. Houndoom emerged and snarled viciously at the group.

-A Fire type. I don’t think Lucario will like that.

-Let me take care of this, Gina murmured.

Bill simply nodded as the girl tossed her own Pokeball. Volcarona appeared in a shower of embers.

-Shadow Agent Grim, I’m gonna be your opponent!

Grim looked at the girl’s determined face and smiled in amusement.

-As you fancy. Jackal, what do you say you withdraw Lucario and my men put away their weapons? Give me and your girlfriend some space?

The two policemen behind him dropped their guns as Bill withdrew Lucario. All of them pulled back, leaving Gina, Grim and their Pokemon standing against each other.

-Will she make it? Lexie asked nervously.

Bill shook his head.

-I have faith in her.

Gina and Grim seemed to take a moment to size each other up.

-Nasty Plot!

-Quiver Dance!

Houndoom’s muzzle twisted into an evil grin while Volcarona spun around, its wings glittering.

-A boosting move? Let’s see how high the power can get! Dark Pulse!

-Hurricane!

Gina dived to her left and Volcarona followed her move, sending a blast of wind towards Houndoom.

-Avoid it!

Grim rushed forward, urging Houndoom to follow him. The Pokemon leaped out of the wind’s way and unleashed its aura. A pitch-black pulse shattered the rocks around it and flew towards Volcarona, making contact.

Volcarona spun backwards. Despite the energy surge from Quiver Dance, it still took severe damage from the blow. However, Gina was prepared for it.

-Hurricane!

Grim realized what was going to happen a second too late, as his Houndoom landed in the way of the new Hurricane. It flew backwards a few dozen feet, making a rough landing and snarling in rage.

-You b****!

Grim couldn’t believe it. He couldn’t believe that this girl had actually managed to hurt his Pokemon. His men looked at him anxiously. Lexie stared at him nervously for a bit, before realizing that next to her, Bill was smiling.

-Is there something amusing going on?

-Shh, he silenced her. Just watch.

Behind them, in the port, the shape of a ship began to form in the dark atmosphere.

-The captain is coming, Lexie whispered.

-Just in time. Bill’s smile became wider.

Gina and Grim were moving about, both seemingly searching for an opportunity to attack. Grim seemed to calm down a bit.

-You’re gonna pay for what you’ve done, girlie. I’m gonna show you just how stupid it was of you to ever consider facing the Shadows.

He grinned, an evil expression of suppressed hatred.

-Houndoom, use Overheat!

-Volcarona, use Quiver Dance!

Gina leaped out of harm’s way as a huge jet of fire burned its way towards her and her Pokemon. Volcarona danced out of harm’s way, narrowly avoiding most of the attack.

Two of its wings got hit and it winced, but didn’t fall back. Its wings were almost gleaming now in the night, scattering powder around with each flap. Grim screamed, unable to accept what was unveiling before his eyes.

-Overheat!

The flames Houndoom shot were but a shadow of the blazing hell that was unleashed in the previous attack. Gina smiled, and Bill saw her raise her hands to cover her ears. He reflexively did the same, shouting to Lexie to follow his example. The girl copied his move just in time.

-Bug Buzz!

The flap of the wings became a menacing, furious movement as a powerful sound wave pierced the night. It collided with the flame, reducing it to harmless embers. Houndoom roared in pain and collapsed, unconscious. Grim looked at Gina for a second, a look of pain, surprise and hatred on his face, and then he and the guards dropped on their knees and covered their ears. The battle was over.

Gina withdrew Volcarona and looked at the defeated Shadows. The two guards were breathing heavily and seemed unable to walk. Grim looked spent.

Behind her, the figure of Lexie’s yacht had now come much closer. Bill took her hand.

-Let’s go.

He, Gina and Lexie jumped in the water and swam towards the ship. Grim cursed and fell unconscious as they disappeared in the darkness.​

I'd like some feedback on Part 1 before I begin Part 2, so I can avoid making the same mistakes I might have made in this part. Anything is appreciated. Those of you who've been following, thanks for doing so. Those of you who haven't, I hope you will eventually honor me with your opinion. Part 2 will probably start coming out next week.

RE: Nightfall-Part 1 Complete-Feedback Wanted

needs David
7/10

more badassery effect added in kalos, with david's arrival.
/me applauds

RE: Nightfall-Part 1 Complete-Feedback Wanted

Alright, so I'm ready to start posting Part 2! Here's the Prologue:

Prologue​

We are mortal. We are but a spark in this world. The moment we are born, we begin our descent to oblivion.

For this, nothing in this world is really important. No matter what one may do, it will eventually be forgotten. It doesn’t matter if you said a kind word or helped to carry somebody’s bags. Such incidents are a spark within a spark, even more short-lived than we are.

They do say, however, that nobody dies as long as he is remembered. This has great consequences. For if it is true, there are people who are dead before they even know it. People forgotten by their environment, invisible and unimportant. And there are those who are immortal. Those who changed the world. Those whose deeds will always be remembered, and they will live along with them.

But those are only the select few. The vast majority never does anything worth remembering. Smiles, a pompous speech, a heroic rescue… they are things that people do to stay alive. They try to convince themselves that what they did is really important and will stay in the minds of people for generations to come, so that they will continue to live. But deep inside, they know their attempts are futile.

This world is full of these people. But nothing would go on if there were only those. Immortals are always needed. People need to have them so that they can define themselves. It doesn’t matter what these immortals do or did. What matters is that they’ve done it. And the world can look at them in awe and proceed to try and do what they did, so that they, too, can live forever.

As such, there is no good or bad. There’s just power. Power brings forth fear, and fear brings forth respect. More power extends someone’s reach to more people. And once a sufficient number of people are touched by fear, it is then that you can feel at ease. The world knows you, it is aware of your deeds. They might worship you, or they might hate you. But one thing is for certain. They will try to be like you. And thus, they’ll be forced to remember your name, for you are the example they follow.

We are the Shadows. We conquered the world. We are those who are feared, those who are respected, those who will be remembered. Envious of our power, but too afraid to stand against us, people can only try to join us. And with them, we continue. The name of the Shadows lives on, and with it, we live as well. As long as the Shadows exist, we will. Even if the Shadows were to somehow end, their legacy would live on, inspire more people, and eventually lead to our reincarnation. We are immortal.

Standing against us is useless. Those who seek to become immortal by taking us down are beaten and forgotten. For those who are immortal have power over everything. Power enough to banish all those who might oppose them, ensure that these defiant dreamers are buried in the sands of time.​

Also, props to anyone who gets the reference in Nightfall, Through the Dark Age and Into the Storm:p.

RE: Nightfall-Part 2 Up-Prologue

After a long absence, I'm here with Chapter 1 of Part 2. I don't know how often I will be able to update, but I haven't forgotten. Enjoy!
Chapter 1-Stormbringers​

The bright morning sun was shining over the vast sea. In all four corners of the horizon, limitless blue extended as far as the eye could see. Schools of Water-type Pokemon swam underneath the glimmering waters. In the midst of this, a ship was sailing.

That ship was a white yacht called “Rhodium”. One couldn’t tell from where it came from or where it went, however. The ship logs had nothing on them, and the ship itself had cut all communication with the outside world. Currently, it was heading for the coast of Kalos, however, nothing guaranteed that it would arrive there, and nothing indicated the harbor from where it had departed. The crew was moving about normally, doing their morning work. There were no signs of distress. Standing in the front of the ship were three people.

The trio was actually quite an interesting site. Two women and a man, all around twenty. One of the girls, a pretty blonde with a playful smirk, was dressed in top cut designer clothes-shirt and shorts. Compared to her, the other two standing next to her were a whole different world. Jeans, black t-shirts and leather jackets framing two lean figures, a brunette and a tall guy, both with a serious look on their faces. Someone who didn’t know the circumstances of the trip would never understand what had brought these people together.

Bill Jackal stared in the horizon. The region of beauty, their destination, Kalos, was still a couple of days away. They had some more time to devise their plans. Right now, they were the most wanted people in the world. And what they were about to do wasn’t going to make them more popular.

Next to him, Gina Sabbath seemed lost in thought. After her victory in the decisive battle against Shadow Agent Grim, she always looked concerned. The battle had made her realize what they had gotten into. They were going to cause as much trouble as possible, right in the face of the most powerful criminal organization the world had ever seen. Their position was extremely dangerous. One wrong move would be their end.
Lexie Rhodes, leaning over the edge and staring in the sea, looked way more relaxed than her two partners. Someone who knew her, however, would immediately see that something was wrong. Her smirk had a tone of bitterness, and her usual cheerful outbursts and light humor were gone. She seemed harsher, tougher. Her experience in the streets of Driftveil and the cause she was now fighting for had matured her within days.

-Two more days, Bill murmured.

-Have we decided on where to land? Gina inquired. It was almost certain that the Shadows would have sent patrols in the area around the coasts of Kalos. They had to find a way of slipping through them.

-Coumarine City has a port, and there’s also the Azure Bay, where we can land, Lexie said. Plus, it’s closer to Laverre, where the Pokeball factory is. However, it’s gonna be heavily guarded. Cyllage is way further, and the coast around it is very rocky, but on the other hand, guard will probably be lighter. There’s a middle solution, Shalour. The place is closer to Laverre than Cyllage, but the area isn’t the best to land, and the guard will be considerable. The captain says he can try anywhere, but he’s not responsible if we get caught.

-Shalour, huh? Bill said, a strange look on his face. I think I’m willing to try that. Tell the captain to head for Shalour.

-Got that, Lexie said, looking at Bill in suspicion. I’ll let him know.

She moved towards the back of the ship. Within two minutes, she was back.

-We’re heading for Shalour. But what does this city have above others? Why do you wanna go there?

-Nothing… I could be wrong, Bill said, almost absent-mindedly. He was lost in his thoughts. Gina and Lexie exchanged a look, then Gina shrugged.

-Well, I hope you’ll tell us at some point.

“… where they faced off against Grim of the Shadow Agency. Gina Sabbath, using a Volcarona, defeated the Agent, incapacitating him and his guards in the process. When Grim came around, it was too late. Any search would be meaningless.

Right now, we don’t know where the fugitives might be heading. However, considering the connected regions Johto, Kanto and Sinnoh are quite far, the most possible destinations are Hoenn and Kalos. As such, you are obliged to cover the coast of Slateport, Dewford, Petalburg, Cyllage, Ambrette, Shalour and Coumarine. The rebels need to be captured at all costs. Use any means necessary to restrain them. Kill them if you must, however, do it as a last resort.

Always tread in the shadow.”

David, Shadow Commander of Kalos, closed the report from Saffron. He had been reading it repeatedly over the last days, and he still couldn’t register what was in it.
Three kids who weren’t even twenty had caused as much trouble in the last week as the Shadows had faced in the last twenty years. They used Pokemon, they defeated the Castelia Police, they escaped the city, they crossed the desert, they infiltrated Driftveil and finally they escaped aboard a yacht after leaving a Shadow Agent and his guards unconscious and his Pokemon knocked out. David just couldn’t grasp the whole thing.
He stared down from the top of Lumiose Tower. The city of light… These days, light was a luxury. With the recent problems in the Power Plant, half the city was in the dark. Here and there, lights flickered, but street lamps and the centre were completely cut off the line. The train still worked, but the cab service was suspended until the power was back in full. In the grey morning, the city looked dull and hostile. And to add to this, he now had to run all around the coast, trying to catch some criminals who could as well be on the other side of the world. Not the best concept.

He sighed and dialed a number in his cellphone.

-This is Commander David. I want the car ready as soon as possible. I’m going to Shalour.

He hung up and stashed the phone away.

David couldn’t quite place a finger on it, but if he had to, he preferred to be stationed in Shalour than anywhere else on the coast. Shalour was the biggest city among the places where landing was possible, and it was also a city of historical interest, what with that old tower and the legendary family that lived there. Well, the family that used to live there was even greater, but that was distant past, forgotten by the world. In any case, if David had to choose a place to land on Kalos, he’d pick Shalour.

He played a bit with his Pokeball, absent-mindedly. Abruptly, he smiled. Sure, it was very probable that those renegades would pick another port. Maybe they were even heading towards Hoenn. But David had a feeling they’d be in Shalour. And if they were, it would be very satisfying. David had gotten bored. A good battle would be just what he needed to get a new leash of life.

Inside the Pokeball, Gengar smiled too. The pair, human and Pokemon, looked at each other for a minute, an expression of almost mad delight in their faces. Soon, they’d have the chance to fight once more.​

Back