Nigel's first RMT (OU, that is.)

Nigel

Extra Spicy
Intro:
After being introduced to competitive VG because of [member]Blah[/member] and [member]Bippa[/member], I wanted to create a team. After many tries to create a team that would at least do a little well, I found out that Smashpass Gorebyss worked wonders because of a Random Team battle on Pokemon! Showdown. After reading over a bit on this set on Smogon, I was convinced that this was the heart of the team for me. Now Pokebeach, I am rather new to competitive battling in general so please stay with me and try not to call me a noob or anything. :]

Creating the Team:
368.gif

Like stated above, I saw that Smashpass Gorebyss can work wonders by Baton Passing to any attacker to take care of the situation that I am in. Since your opponent can see the order your team is before battle, I wanted to trick my opponent into thinking that I was starting with something that wouldn't be very effective against Gorebyss so I chose...

368.gif
149.gif

...Dragonite. It's Dream World ability Multiscale seems to be made for Smashpass Gorebyss. This is because once I Baton Pass into Dragonite, I can get in a safe Dragon Dance without being OHKO'd. The only issue I found here was pesky ice type Pokemon, which had no issue OHKOing Dragonite even after the Multiscale protection. Yache Berry managed to take care of this, no problem. Since it looks like I'm starting ice type, I wanted something else to Baton Pass into to take care of it so I chose....

368.gif
149.gif
639.gif

...Terrakion! I have always been fascinated with this Pokémon and it's incredible sweeping capabilities so even if they don't fall for me starting with Dragonite I can still sweep them fast and easily. I have tried many different sets with Terrakion, and so far Life Orb works the best. That is because your Terrakion is obviously going to be guessed as a Choice Band one, making your opponent switch out on you and send out something that its last attack won't affect.

368.gif
149.gif
639.gif
385.gif

This guy is such a troll. Jirachi can hit for lots of damage thanks to Fire Punch against Sun Teams, and can easily flinch your opponent's slow walls because of Iron Head! Not just that, but once Jirachi gets low on HP, Wish+Protect is key to getting myself healed again, even though I can take a ton of damage with this bulky set.

368.gif
149.gif
639.gif
385.gif
640.gif

My Virizion set is completely unique, and isn't found on Smogon or anywhere that I've seen! I love how I can Baton Pass to this guy for a quick Substitute if my opponent doesn't start something that would be a threat. Some late Calm Minds during Substitute can prepare me even more for a sweep, and can protect me from an Ice Beam or a Psychic, two moves that used to screw this set over in the long run.

368.gif
149.gif
639.gif
385.gif
640.gif
637.gif

Volcarona is basically the bow tie of this team. It has awesome special attack and has gone through several clean sweeps after one Shell Smash+ Baton Pass. Morning Sun can also heal my HP in the weather, which is great considering how popular it is in the metagame. Heck, even one Quiver Dance after a Shell Smash+ Baton Pass and my Special Attack reaches monstrous levels, capable of even sweeping ubers (which really doesn't matter because this is OU)! :]

Nigel's Team in Depth:

368.png

Gorebyss @ White Herb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Surf
- Hidden Power (Lightning)

While not a lot of Pokemon can use both Shell Smash and Baton Pass, Gorebyss can use it though it has one side effect- it lowers both Defense and Special Defense by one stage. Thanks to this side effect, Gorebyss can only use one Shell Smash + Baton Pass per game and that one time majorly counts. Because of this, you should start with Dragonite or Terrakion on your team so your opponent will use a Pokemon that will barely affect her such as an Ice type or a Water type. Surf is Gorebyss' best option as a STAB move since it has better Special Attack then attack, though you won't find yourself using this move very often until late game. Hidden Power Lightning can kill several other threats that this team has such as Dragon Tail Gyrados and Drizzle Politoed.​

385.png

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/224 SpD/ 32 Spe
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Body Slam
- Fire Punch
- Wish
- Protect

This set rocks. I can pass 202 HP Wishes whenever my HP gets low and with my killer defense, that makes me the supreme tank. Thanks to Serene Grace, Jirachi can paralyze several sweepers and taunt users, with a 60% Paralysis rate everytime I use it! This is even more successful because of my great defenses and my ability to withstand almost every attack. Because of this, I can slowly chip away at my opponents with this and use Wish/Protect when I get low on HP.​

149.png

Dragonite @ Yache Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Even there are lots of fast Pokemon in the metagame that could cripple Dragonite's Multiscale, thanks to the Shell Smash from Gorebyss, Dragonite can outspeed almost all of them, which is why I don't take a majorly defensive approach with this set. Most versions of this set that I see play Extremespeed over Earthquake, which I don't agree with. This is because I want to OHKO Pokemon which would be large threats to my team such as Infernape and Heatran.​

639.png

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge

While most people would be excited about Terrakion's STAB and ability to use Choice Band, I am excited to use Terrakion's STAB and ability to use Life Orb. Because Terrakion's STABs are so excellent, it can hit for almost guarenteed OHKOs thanks to Shell Smash buffing and Life Orb. Life Orb also lets me use Quick Attack after a successful Close Combat or other Attack, guarenteing a finishing hit that makes the win even quicker.​

640.png

Virizion @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Substitute
- Focus Blast

Virizion has a very impressive Special Defense and Special Attack but Calm Mind allows them both to grow even larger. This way, it can be incredibly strong while resisting potential threats such as Ice Beam and Flamethrower. Giga Drain, the STAB move used in this set, is perfect in combination with Substitute, healing little by little HP every turn while setting up with Calm Mind.​

637.png

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Morning Sun
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance

In additon to the Shell Smash powerups, Quiver Dance makes this set even more powerful. It makes Volcarona's best states even better, and a great sweeper for the right condition. I prefer Fiery Dance over other STAB moves in this set because it can potentially boost Volcarona's stats even more from how crazy powerful they already are letting Volcarona sweep awesomer. Morning Sun is a great move against Sun Teams and Rain Teams, as it is free HP for a bulky sweeper!​

I would recommend using less on Speed EVs as well on Dragonite since you are passing Speed to it. If you use an Adamant nature which will give you more power, you can use 204 EVs in Speed to outpace all Choice Scarf base 100s. By using an Adamant nature, you are optimizing its stats. These extra EVs can be placed in SDef to help ward off ice attacks so it won't get damaged as much. Placing them in Special Defense also benefits it more than in HP because of the multiplier Multiscale will provide.

I'd also recommend taking off Dragon Dance for either Roost or Extreme Speed. Roost can be helpful to heal if the Dragonite isn't in danger of getting KO'd be the foe. Extreme Speed has a +2 priority which assists against faster Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Latios. It also lets it move before Prankster users such as Tornadus use Substitute or Will-o-wisp in the case of Sableye. Earthquake can be helpful with Dragon Claw for coverage, but it I believe Brick Break may be a better option because many Heatran hold Air Balloon which makes ground moves miss until it gets popped. That could give them an opportunity to hit it with Hidden Power Ice or Roar away the boosts. FirePunch still covers the other Steel-types that resist Dragon Claw.

It also looks like your team would not fare well against Acrobatics Gliscor with its high Defense. I'd really recommend Hidden Power Ice on Volcarona over Morning Sun to help remedy this problem. The problem with running Morning Sun without having Ninetales is if the weather is rain, hail, or sandstorm it only heals 25% of its HP which is a waste. Even in sun it heals 2/3 of its HP which is not as strong as having a third offensive move on it. Having Hidden Power Ice also helps the team against Dragon-types who look like they would give your team trouble after Dragonite goes down.

Jirachi I'd really recommend either IcePunch or Iron Head over FirePunch because your team already has two fire attackers. Iron Head has a 60% chance of causing a flinch when combined with its Serene Grace ability. IcePunch is the other option because it gives your team another answer to dragons. Either of those benefits outweigh being able to actually fight Magnezone / Magneton so it doesn't get blasted. If you are feeling lucky, you could use ThunderPunch over Protect to help against Gyarados. I would only recommend doing this if you have Iron Head on the set though.

Terrakion I would recommend Sacred Sword instead of Close Combat. While it may have 20 less Base Power, it doesn't lower Terrakion's defenses. It also ignores any boosts the foe has on it.

I think these suggestions would really make your team work together more. It should also eliminate some threats it had. ( I wish you would have listed them, but I think I covered the biggest ones. )

You really need a spinner on this team. Volc takes 1/2 from rocks and Dragonite's multiscale breaks. I'm not sure who you should replace. Probably Virizion since it adds more fire weakness.

Back