NFL Discussion Topic - Favorite Teams and How They are Doing

So with Gronkowski having to undergo surgery and risking the possibility of missing the start of the season, and murder allegations surrounding Aaron Hernandez, reports say Tim Tebow will now be the starting tight end for the Patriots in 2013.

CCloud said:
So with Gronkowski having to undergo surgery and risking the possibility of missing the start of the season, and murder allegations surrounding Aaron Hernandez, reports say Tim Tebow will now be the starting tight end for the Patriots in 2013.

I don't think it's murder charges they want to press against Hernandez, I believe it's just aggravated assault.

Still, this isn't very good for New England; as they had one of the better TE duos in the NFL, and both may not see the field this upcoming season.

Well, apparently Hernandez intentionally destroyed his home security system, including surveillance. Things aren't looking good for him. If either tight end (or both) were to miss significant time, the Patriots offense could struggle this season with glass man Danny Amendola an IR trip waiting to happen.

CCloud said:
Well, apparently Hernandez intentionally destroyed his home security system, including surveillance. Things aren't looking good for him. If either tight end (or both) were to miss significant time, the Patriots offense could struggle this season with glass man Danny Amendola an IR trip waiting to happen.

It's going to a turbulent year for anyone having any Patriot receivers on their Fantasy rosters if they all drop like flies.

The sad thing is, the AFC East is so pathetic of a division, that the Patriots will still clinch it with ease.

Teams like the Pats and Broncos will have an easy ride to the postseason, while other divisions will be more competitive and not have uncontested champions, such as the NFC North and West and AFC North.

The PB LGBT(QIAP+) Discussion Thread

EuroGaypride.png
LGBT*(QIA+) Debate Topic

This thread is for discussing all things FABULOUS, not flaming. Flaming will NOT be tolerated. Period.

Original Topic: Is homosexuality a choice? Is it wrong? Why do you believe it is/isn't? Discuss how you feel about this subject. Please provide in-depth reasons that require logical reasoning as to why you do or do not think it is a choice. Just a "yes," or a "no" will not be acceptable and will be counted as spam.

New Topic: All other relevant points of view on the LGBT*(QIA+) Movement can be discussed here as well how they relate to politics, religion, or other relevant topics.

Last edited by [mod]Colress[/mod]

RE: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Many studies indicate that homosexuality is indeed not a choice. I, personally, do not think it is.

"Scientists say they may have discovered why homosexuality exists.

Researchers from the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis have said the genetics that makes a person more likely to be gay are passed from fathers to daughters and mothers to sons. They suggest the answer lies in epigenetics, or how the expression of genes is controlled by ‘temporary switches’, such as how a gene behaves, known as epi-marks. Gender-specific epi-marks are usually ‘erased’ from generation to generation, but when they do not and they pass from a parent to a child, it can result in homosexuality.

‘Transmission of sexually antagonistic epi-marks between generations is the most plausible evolutionary mechanism of the phenomenon of human homosexuality,’ the study’s co-author Sergey Gavrilets said.

Researchers have long believed sexual orientation has stemmed from the basic makeup of a person’s DNA or their genetic line. Some have pointed to similar brain patterns in straight women and gay men, and straight men and lesbians. However scientists say homosexuality, in terms of evolution, cannot be solely genetic because otherwise the trait would eventually disappear given gay people are less likely to reproduce. Epi-marks, on the other hand, are thought to have an evolutionary advantage that keeps them within the population."

Here is the source article.
http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/scientists-think-they-have-found-out-why-people-are-born-gay141212

Dodging the question, however, who really cares if it is a choice? Everyone should be equal, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sex, sexual orientation, et cetera. These are the very questions that are preventing the human race from intellectually evolving, mainly because we are actually still viewing this as an issue. As long as we keep viewing our differences as issues, we will never see past our differences. Whether an individual chooses to be gay is irrelevant. The point is that we should look past all differences and unite as the only thing we are -- human.

Homosexuality is not a choice.

For anyone who disagrees: When did you choose to be straight?

I like to keep things objective when discussing controversial topics; let's stick to the facts.

There tend to be chemical differences in those who are gay. This is not a fluke.

Now, one may say that therapy can always be used if one is determined to "chose to be straight". While these therapies are often successful, the entire argument is outside of valid point. The bottom line is, who cares if homosexuality is a choice or not? And to take things a step further, who cares if it's "wrong". I have no problem with people who's religious beliefs feel that homosexuality is a sin. I don't agree with them, but they are completely entitled to that opinion. As crazy as we may see someone else's beliefs, we need to respect them to a certain degree.

The line is drawn when personal beliefs merge into laws. Believing that homosexuality is a choice is fine, but forcing that belief on the general public is wrong. In the United States, at least, church and state is supposed to be separate. That said, there should be no laws discriminating against homosexuality, or any venue of the homosexual lifestyle. Science proves that homosexuality is not merely a decision. While others have somewhat of an argument in that the unwillingness to undergo therapy violates their personal religion/beliefs, that doesn't mean that those who don't share such beliefs have any obligation whatsoever to follow such customs.

True homosexuality is not a choice.
Telling others you are homosexual when you aren't (which has been certainly known to happen) is a choice.

I certainly do not believe it is a choice and is just a part of their natural perception of things. It's about like how every person has different preferences based on their own mindset. Some people like coke, some people like pepsi. Some people like boobs, some people like dudes. I can't tell you why I like pepsi and boobies, I've just always liked them for some reason. :Y

My answer stands between yes and no. For a good portion of my younger teenage years I always thought my homosexuality was a choice. My family is very accepting of my sexual orientation so they had no influence on how I felt about myself being gay. I thought I was choosing to not be with women but men instead. I was young and still finding out who I am so it was reasonable for me to question the choices I make in life.

It wasn't until I was sixteen or seventeen that I realized it wasn't a choice for me because being with a woman is not natural for me at all. I've tried being with one as well to see if in fact I were gay and it wasn't just some mindset, and what do you know, I'm gay. I can never be with a woman, and I'm okay with that. I'm proud of my sexuality, I'm proud that I'm into dudes, and I can't wait for the day I have a family of my own. Homosexuality may in fact be a choice to some, but it isn't one on my behalf.

Why would you want to discuss this on a Pokémon site?

It's pretty funny how black and white people are seeing this. ;o Why couldn't it sometimes be a "choice". Surely I have heared a lot of times that "I wasn't gay before I found the Internet". So what happens during your life can also have an impact on what you like or dislike. If you drink a lot of pepsi as a child would you prefer pepsi over coke as a grown-up?

My answer's a very firm "no", for reasons stated above, and for the fact that you'd have to be insane to choose to be something that has the potential to get you fired, be ostracized from friends/family, etc. In certain parts of America, I mean; I'm not quite sure how it works out in other places. I just know there's a lot of ignorance in this country.

Some people point out it's a choice because there are people who were straight before and "turned" gay.
Two possibilities: They were hiding their actual sexuality because they were told it's wrong and/or unnatural, so they did their best to fit in to the norm, but eventually they realized it's impossible for them to do that.
Or, it did change, but not by choice. It's natural (though unusual) for people to have a shift in preference over time, but I've never seen or heard it happen where said person consciously decides to switch. It's more like trying broccoli after years of not liking it and finding out you actually like broccoli now.

Either way, even if you believe it is a choice or it's wrong or evil or blah blah, it should be kept out of business matters. >_>

It's as much a choice as it is a personal preference. So I guess you can say that yes, it is.
iirc, there was a recent study (about three or four months ago) that found it is a choice.
I don't necessarily care for the argument of whether it is or is not a choice, because I never spent the time to really care about the subject.

Teal said:
It's pretty funny how black and white people are seeing this. ;o Why couldn't it sometimes be a "choice". Surely I have heared a lot of times that "I wasn't gay before I found the Internet". So what happens during your life can also have an impact on what you like or dislike. If you drink a lot of pepsi as a child would you prefer pepsi over coke as a grown-up?

If you're going to link homosexuality with choice, don't pick food or beverages as your comparison. Taste buds and preferences for certain foods / beverages are all determined by certain genes that we have. The genes that cause a difference in taste between one person and the next is all caused by those who have the genes to pick up certain bitter substance and those who can't. Thus, foods / beverages can possibly be affected by your genes and not by your choices.

Genes also change the way we appreciate food as we grow up. A baby prefers sweets because it has not yet developed the ability to appreciate other tastes like bitter. As they grow up, some begin to develop a phobia of a lot of foods (ex: the classic dislike of broccoli). Further age allows them to branch out and explore more in their tastes. All of this is a genetic behavior that some people have, not a choice even though it certainly appears that way.

Another explanation for the love of certain foods/beverages is that it's a learned behavior from observation of others, mainly through family and friend examples. If you see someone in your family drink pepsi, the chances are high you will probably drink pepsi as well. Learned behaviors are all a part of anything that posses the ability to reason and learn. This relates to various other things as well. A child raised in an abusive family will probably be abusive as well. A child in a family of smokers has a high chance of also picking up the habit. A child who hears his mom say a swear will also say a swear. A child raised by a gay family might also be gay. All of this is simple imprinting, not choices.

btw, beer, coffee, as well as other things that have to be forcefully appreciated totally debunk this post. They are all choices you have to force yourself to like. To relate it to the subject at hand, it's about like a gay person pretending to be straight. He wants to force himself to be straight for whatever reason.He knows he's gay, but he wants the straight life.

Back