NFL Discussion Topic - Favorite Teams and How They are Doing

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Rally said:
I don't like him in the position at all. I don't think that he has proven himself lately for showing the slightest bit of promise.

Norv was a product of the system. He was Dallas's OC for their first 2 Super Bowl titles, I believe, and I think he has rode that pretty much the rest of his career after that.

EmmetCHH22

Aspiring Trainer
You have to be kidding me. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000206674/article/lebron-james-can-nba-star-play-quarterback-in-the-nfl

CCloud

Aspiring Trainer
LeBron is definitely an athlete who could find a gig in multiple professional sports. He would join famous stars like Michael Jordan and Leon Sandcastle Deion Sanders to play two different sports professionally. This isn't the first time that proposition has been thrown around regarding LeBron.

Rally

Aspiring Trainer
I have no doubt that he could be a great player.

Let's say he wanted to go to the NFL 2-4 years from now. I would find it tough to just start playing QB at 30-32 in the NFL, its just way too complex of a position for a fresh player after not practicing for 12-14 years. The NFL is not the same as HS, and while he would retain old skills, its too different.

LeBron is only 28 so if he wanted to go to the league now, I think he could dominate at the WR position, like Calvin Johnson dominate. And that would be great to see. : P

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I don't think LeBron would be a QB in the NFL. He has the size to be really fantastic wide receiver/tight end.

J

Juliacoolo

He's 6'8. Most linemen aren't even. 6'8. Most WRs are 6'1-6'2.

I think he's too tall for the nfl.

CCloud

Aspiring Trainer
If LeBron were a receiver or a tight end, he would abuse corners, safeties, and linebackers trying to cover him. Hell, he would abuse every defensive player with his size and build.

Rally

Aspiring Trainer
Alright, this is confusing...

What?

Its not that I dislike Tim Tebow, I think hes a great person, but is he really playing for the Patriots as a QB? I just can't really understand their reasoning.

CCloud

Aspiring Trainer
Tebow would not likely receive a significant number of snaps under center. Obviously, the Pats have Brady, but I imagine Ryan Mallett would take over second string and start if anything were to cause Brady to miss time. So I have no idea what Belichick has up his sleeve.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I joined up on a league on NFL.com that had keepers from last year. I inherited this roster.

QB: RGIII and Matt Ryan
RB: Adrian Peterson, LeSean McCoy, Rashad Jennings, Donald Brown, Michael Bush and Willis McGahee
WR: Eric Decker, Miles Austin, Jeremy Maclin, Lance Moore and Steve Smith [CAR]
TE: Brandon Pettigrew and Rob Gronkowski
K: Robbie Gould
DEF: Pittsburgh Steelers

I'm allowed two keepers; I'm thinking about A.P and RGIII. (Peterson's a lock pretty much, the second keepers up for grabs between RGIII, Matt Ryan, LeSean McCoy and maybe Rob Gronkowski.)

• Passing Yards: 1 point per 20 yards
  • Passing Touchdowns: 8 points
  • Interceptions Thrown: -5 points
  • 400+ Passing Yards Bonus: 5 points
  • 40+ Passing Yard TD Bonus: 3 points
  • 50+ Passing Yards TD Bonus: 3 points
  • Rushing Yards: 1 point per 10 yards
  • Rushing Touchdowns: 8 points
  • 200+ Rushing Yards Bonus: 2 points
  • Receiving Yards: 1 point per 10 yards
  • Receiving Touchdowns: 8 points
  • 200+ Receiving Yards Bonus: 2 points
  • Kickoff and Punt Return Yards: 1 point per 25 yards
  • Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns: 8 points
  • Fumble Recovered for TD: 6 points
  • Fumbles Lost: -4 points
  • Fumble: -2 points
  • 2-Point Conversions: 2 points

Who do you think I should keep?

CCloud

Aspiring Trainer
Normally I would say AP and Shady, no question, but after looking at your scoring settings, I would strongly consider keeping RGIII. How many teams in your league?

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
CCloud said:
Normally I would say AP and Shady, no question, but after looking at your scoring settings, I would strongly consider keeping RGIII. How many teams in your league?

It's a 10-team league, CC.

Rally

Aspiring Trainer
A 10 league team, hmmm...

I would recommend keeping:

Adrian Peterson: We all know that he's going to wreck like he did last year. I can see an average of around 6-7 yards a carry, and around 85-200 yards in the first 13 games of the season. A great clutch player, and he'll probably get many more attempts on the field than last year. His injury should be affecting him less, and he should be feeling better than ever.

Matt Ryan: RGIII is a great player, and I'm a Redskins fan myself. But you should go with Matt Ryan. He was number one last year in completion percentage, has better threats around him, (expect a lot from Julio Jones, Tony Gonzalez AND Roddy White) and less interceptions. While rookie quarterbacks first go to the NFL and interceptions are thrown often, he will cut down. However, Matt will probably have less to. I can see Atlanta getting farther than last year, so Matt would be your best bet.

If anything, and you decide to get a WR, go Steve Smith. Hes still got a lot inn him for a vet, and I could see this being in his last years playing. If don't feel like going for the risk of losing points through interceptions, Steve Smith would be a great reliable choice.

CCloud

Aspiring Trainer
It's a tough call. Shady is an early second round pick, but you have to consider the future of talented young RGIII, and that the best QBs will probably be kept (Rodgers, Brady, Brees, etc). Gronk is also a justifiable selection.

At the end of the day, I would probably lean toward Shady. I don't know that RGIII can stay healthy with his lean frame and all the running around he does.

Rally

Aspiring Trainer
I can't see Shady a early second round pick. Maybe late second to early third. Granted, he only played 12 games, but 2 touchdowns is much less to expect from him.

CCloud

Aspiring Trainer
Well, that's where he's ranked on multiple sites. Just for comparison, both QBs are ranked in the fourth-fifth rounds and his best wide receiver (Decker/Smith) are ranked around those rounds as well.

By no means am I justifying selecting a player based solely off of ADP in a keeper league; I am stating that if he wants to field a competitive team this season, he needs to be careful who he selects.

Additionally, I never mentioned Matt Ryan as a keeper possibility, and here's why: he's an average fantasy QB. He's been in the league for years now, and his QB counterpart selected early in the draft that same year, Joe Flacco, has already won a Super Bowl with less talent at wide receiver. Ryan doesn't have an excuse anymore for his inconsistent play. As a Ryan owner last fantasy football season, I can attest to his inconsistency. He started out the season looking like an MVP contender, then fell off the map (five interception game, anyone?). Maybe he improves, but he's shown no signs of doing so. You can easily roll with a guy like Romo/either Manning (maybe someone decides not to keep Peyton because of his age and neck) and get about the same production while getting better production elsewhere at a different position.

But as I said, it's a tough decision - one I'm glad I don't have to make.

SuperHyperKirliafan89

Aspiring Trainer
CCloud said:
Tebow would not likely receive a significant number of snaps under center. Obviously, the Pats have Brady, but I imagine Ryan Mallett would take over second string and start if anything were to cause Brady to miss time. So I have no idea what Belichick has up his sleeve.

Only reason the Patriots got him was so that Brady can mentor Tebow, (Patriots have been going after him since the year he was Drafted and Denver knew they wanted him soo badly.)

CCloud

Aspiring Trainer
Who knows? I can only imagine the Pats will go about things a bit smarter than the Jets, and actually use Tebow somewhere, and not just let him rot on the bench like Rex Ryan did.

SDB, has any of our advice helped you with your keepers decision?

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
CCloud said:
SDB, has any of our advice helped you with your keepers decision?

I don't know. I know Peterson's a lock, like you guys have said. But deciding between Ryan and RGIII and LeSean McCoy is still a tad difficult.

CCloud

Aspiring Trainer
I'm in a keeper league as well. I have to choose two players between Ray Rice, Alfred Morris, Tom Brady, Andrew Luck, and Larry Fitzgerald. 8 teams with standard scoring.