• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard New Volcanion/Flareon EX Deck: Need Help

VillagerHoss

Pokemon Connoisseur, TCG Player and Collector
Hello fellow Pokémon Trainers,
I have decided to make a Volcanion deck that would keep up with the newer GX decks on the TCGO (since it's my favorite in the current format before Sun and Moon)...
I apologize for being a little inexperienced in this area since I don't spend much time on the TCGO.

This is probably a little unbalanced, but here is the whole deck plan, so I will explain each Pokémon's function:

Pokémon (12)
3X Volcanion
3X Volcanion EX
2X Flareon EX
2X Entei (AOR)
1X Hoopa EX
1X Tauros GX

Trainers (38)
2X Crushing Hammer
1X Dive Ball
2X Energy Retrieval
1X Heavy Ball
3X Max Elixir
3X Nest Ball
1X Pokémon Catcher
2X Professor's Letter
3X Switch
2X VS Seeker
2X Lysandre
2X N
1X Pokémon Center Lady
2X Pokémon Fan Club
2X Professor Kukui
3X Professor Sycamore
2X Skyla
2X Bursting Balloon
3X Fighting Fury Belt

10X Fire Energy

So far this deck has had pleasing results with such GX Pokémon as Lapras GX, Solgaleo GX and Lurantis GX (even with Weakness Policy attached to all of them). This may seem like your average Flareon EX deck but this deck focuses more on using Volcanion EX's ability. Our scoundrel-ringer Hoopa EX fellow will make sure we have all of our Volcanion EXs on the field. The Max Elixir is for (mostly) fueling Flareon EX but will also help with the "all-out" attackers, namely Entei and Tauros GX. The ideal battle plan is to:

Go first.
Have mini-Volcanion as your active
Start fueling up your Flareon EX and Volcanion EX

Potential "sweet spots"

Having 2 or more Volcanion EX will all energy attached and attacking alternately using Switch, executing 2-hit knockouts with any GX Pokémon that does not have weakness to either Fire or water type.

I have reluctantly decided for myself that having Shays in my deck would take up too much bench space. Also, do you think I should put some Float Stone in there? Please tell me what ya think. Thanks!

well your list is all over the place io and could be streamlines since one of my old lists was a Volcanion - EX /Flareon - EX Build

IMO:

-1 dive ball
-1 nest ball
+2 energy
----------------------------
nest ball can get you volcanion straight up instead off hoopa taking up bench space thinning your deck down more efficently imo also you are more likely to draw into your pokemon as you need them. anything could start with this deck and be pretty set on threat level and ability.

-2 bursting ballons
+2 vs seeker
volcanion can take a hit

-1 skyla
+1 olympia
it retreats if you have no float stones and can be used by vs seeker to switch into something that can attack and heals health

-1 fury belt
-1 pokemon catcher
+2 float stones
keeping a floatsotne inhand makes the opponets lysanders more difficult to execute favorably and most of the time undoes what they're trying to do and retreating Volcanion -EX with a floatstone on it into andother heavy hitter with the other floatstone is insanity for your opponents to deal with

-3 switch
+1 fisherman
+2 energy switch
whats better than using flashi fire using a trainer that does it also savine some energy from a pokemon onto another before it gets KO'd

-1 lysander
-1 heavy ball
+1 escape rope
+1 ninja boy
escape is amazign and there is nothing scarier than having a flareon suddenly pop up out of nowhere of having the 3rd or 4th volcanion for the OHKO steam up

-2 pokemon fan club
-1 professor kukui
+3 trainers mail
this boosts your decks consistency

-1 Hoopa EX
-2 crushing hammer
+3 Ultra ball
this helps you find what you need when you need it if you can
try running a shaymin - EX with setup

your deck like all ability decks is weak to hex maniac streamlining and other unforeseen circmstance such as prize situations you want our deck to have enough energy to discard for volcanion should it be needed for a OHKO and the ability to manuever into or out of any situation

One good thing for you is 10 bad things for them.

Last edited:
I definitely agree with @Bromanohullahan in that your deck seems to lack enough focus and can be more streamlined. I'd suggest the following for your consideration:

-1 Entei (AOR 14) - only need 1
-1 Hoopa - not really needed given the Nest Balls and PF Club
-2 Crushing Hammer - not critical
-1 Dive Ball - not critical; plus, not does help get R energy into discard pile
-1 Heavy Ball - not critical
-3 Nest Ball
-1 Pokémon Catcher - 50% chance of failure and redundant given the Lysandre
-3 Switch - can use Float Stones in order to rotate attacking Volcanion EXs (resetting Volcanic Heat's effect)
-1 Skyla - not critical
-2 Bursting Balloon - not critical; plus, opponents can Lysandre around it

+1 Volcanion - this is the preferred starter;so, maxing-out the count increases your chances of starting with it
+1 Volcanion EX - helps when 1 is prized
+2 Float Stone
+1 Olympia - a Supporter-based, reusable (via VS Seeker) switching card
+3 Trainer's Mail - critical for increased consistency
+4 Ultra Ball - gets Pokémon from your deck and can discard R energy
+2 VS Seeker - critical for maintaining good, solid deck operations

Other noteworthy cards to consider:

• Delinquent - to counter opponent's Stadium(s)
  • Ninja Boy - to "surprise" attack your opponent
  • Pokémon Ranger - to cancel opponent's effect placed upon you/your Pokémon
  • Rough Seas and/or Parallel City - Stadium that can help you and/or disrupt your opponent's bench
I hope you find these comments helpful

Back