Help New to Pokemon and TCG's in genereal

iJailBreaker

Aspiring Trainer
I'm completely new to Pokemon TCG, I know of Pokemon through the kiddos and have learned more in my time working in the industry where we distribute the product to retailers. My knowledge is in some of the Pokemon's names and the type of products sold (Theme Decks, Elite Trainers, Boosters etc) and that's about it. I've started playing Pokemon TGCO and just wanted some advise on what deck is considered a good one for beginners if done best with the Water Deck provided at the start compared to Lightning and Fire. I've completed the Tutorial and I'm working on the Trainer Missions and tried a Versus but got destroyed. I've done some research in what I should and shouldn't do, like not open packs that are trade-able in order to get hard to get cards and not spend my coins on anything but theme decks but I don't know which ones. I don't know if I care to collect them all as I'm obviously coming into the game very late since I just got my iPad Pro. If theree is an existing thread for this please link it. Thanks!

To really start, you need some codes for packs. You can open them or trade them for other cards. The decks that you get at startup are really bad. If anything, try to get Tapu Lele GX from Guardians Rising. It is used in almost every deck, as it has a really good ability, allowing you to find a supporter from your deck. Also, look at some of the decks that play at leagues. Finally, take a look at the rulebook as it has many things that will help you.

I'm completely new to Pokemon TCG, I know of Pokemon through the kiddos and have learned more in my time working in the industry where we distribute the product to retailers. My knowledge is in some of the Pokemon's names and the type of products sold (Theme Decks, Elite Trainers, Boosters etc) and that's about it. I've started playing Pokemon TGCO and just wanted some advise on what deck is considered a good one for beginners if done best with the Water Deck provided at the start compared to Lightning and Fire. I've completed the Tutorial and I'm working on the Trainer Missions and tried a Versus but got destroyed. I've done some research in what I should and shouldn't do, like not open packs that are trade-able in order to get hard to get cards and not spend my coins on anything but theme decks but I don't know which ones. I don't know if I care to collect them all as I'm obviously coming into the game very late since I just got my iPad Pro. If theree is an existing thread for this please link it. Thanks!

Hey! Welcome to the game. It really is a great game to play with friends and to meet new friends too.

Keep practicing on Pokemon Online! Before delving into Booster Packs and other products I'd try and figure out what deck you want to play with!

Firstly, if you want to play locally/competitively you will need an in-rotation 'Standard' deck. Click below and I'll try my best to explain this process
From the Pokemon Website: "With the goal of maintaining a healthy competitive environment, Pokémon Organized Play begins each new Championship Series season by removing older expansions from Standard format competition." This simply means that older sets can't be used at a competitive level - whether that's at a local league or the worldwide championships! For example: the Crimson Invasion set just came out recently... that will eventually 'go out of rotation' and will not be part of 'Standard Play'. Here's a link if you want to look at this further: https://www.pokemon.com/uk/pokemon-news/pokemon-tcg-format-rotation-for-the-2018-season/

Therefore, it's best to build a deck now that's going to last you a good period of time while still being affordable! eBay and buying boosters when you can will be your best friend here!

I'm sure others could recommend better budget decks but here's a good start: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/standard-budget-koko-kompany.145561/
It won't set you back loads of money and it'll be fun to play with!
Finally, look for a local league and get stuck in! https://www.pokemon.com/uk/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/find-an-event/

Let me know if you got any other questions mate. Once again, welcome! :)

Back