Discussion New Tag Team GX's

Mistadirtyziggy

Aspiring Trainer
Just curious what people think of the new tag teams. I believe only the Snorlax/Pikachu one has been spoiled, but what are your first impressions. It seems pretty strong to me, is it blatant power-creep? Or is the "take 3 prize-cards" enough of a drawback to keep it balanced? Also, are there any other Pokemon pairs you'd like to see as a tag-team? Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

Mariano11887

Goalkeeper
I think the 3-prize-cards kinda balances the power of those cards. If you get KO'd, you lose half the game.
What actually worries me is the support those cards may have. I mean, the 2 tag team cards revealed so far have a very high attacking cost, but if you combine for example the Snorlax one with Kiawe, you can have it fully charged in turn 2 with minimal effort and the game is practically over for your opponent.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
I'm not a fan of them, at least not of the ones revealed so far (Pikachu/Zekrom and Eevee/Snorlax). They have colossal HP, built-in Energy acceleration, splashability, versatility and ridiculously high damage output for minimal set-up, as they are Basic Pokémon. It's the Big Basics BW problem all over again.

They're supposed to be balanced by giving up 3 Prizes, and I'm in no way trying to diminish how big that is in a vacuum, but put in context it becomes almost irrelevant as you're taking 4 Prizes with them most of the time. They're not nearly as good against non-GX decks, but then again you can just choose to not put them into play in the first place since you can just splash them in any deck that can accelerate the Energy they need.

We have yet to see what support or counters there will be for these Pokémon, so I refuse to completely dive into the apocalyptic mindset that these will break the game, but right now, with the information we have, I can say I'm not a big fan.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
I don't think they're that good actually. They may have huge HP for a basic so are hard to OHKO outside of weakness but they are within the same 2HKO range that any GX is in so are just as easy to KO against attackers like Zoroark and A. Exegutor. Giving up 3 prizes mean they have to take 3+ prizes themselves to be effective which is a tall order depending on the matchup (such as against one-prizer decks like Shrine). And so far they all have very high energy which means a lot of resource investment has to be used on them. This takes some time to set up which gives your opponent more opportunity to counter your Tag-Team pokemon such as by Guzma-ing it and putting it one hit away for KO before it even manages to attack

They have the potential to go crazy but I don't see them being consistent enough to actually be good

Kontoleon

Aspiring Trainer
Is at least playable, and with good set up was killer. And you can use them even if opponent have taken 4 or 5 cards...(possible 8 price card game)
The lighting one have Magmezone partener , snorlax was colorless, Mimikyu and Gengar was PPCC(malamar) Latios &Latias PPCC (malamar) Magicarp & Wailord was WWWW but we still have item exeleration Celebi & venusaur GGCC (oups) (But we have Double Grass Attachment and Vicavolt)

Ok is tought to play but Can be strong. Some 2 price cards can OHKO them and some Non Gx decks(really hard) but come on if you play it correct BOOM...

Corentin M.

Aspiring Trainer
I think it is a good example of "a double edge-sword". Some of this cards could be awesome, like Snorlax/Eevee which could be so easy to setup, but if your opponent find how to KO them, it could be very awful: If you play T-T Pokémon, you have to take more than 3 prizes before your opponent KO it or it wasn't a good deal to play. And even if you try to get it survive more time with Acerola or Max potion, you have to charge it AGAIN... In the same time, you lost one or two other pokémon, outch … Risky.