New 'Sun' and 'Moon' Pokemon Salandit Revealed!

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer
Very awesome Pokemon here I think definitly making it the Fire mon on my team :)

Wonder if it will get a Dual Type card in the TCG :)

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
This thing will definitely be used in whatever tier it falls into. A+ typing, A+ Ability, but hopefully it will have the stats to go toe to toe with the big boys.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
Ok, now we're talking... This is mostly a biased opinion as I love lizards (and reptiles in general) but this Pokémon is awesome... Its design, while not one of the greatest, it's pretty good overall and has the potential to become something even better.
Since they state it is not a very powerful pokémon, I'm betting on a 3-stage evolution family. I would really like if it evolved into something based on the Komodo dragon, I don't think it would be much of a stretch compared to other Pokémon evolutions.
Poison/Fire is a cool combination that I wanted to see for a long time and choosing a lizard-like design for it is just double win. It will be able to kill fairies like there's no tomorrow... It's ability is really neat too. Steel-types are no longer safe from Toxic. Its evolutions (or even other pokémon that may get the ability) will have to be viable though to make some use of it.
As the name indicates, it does seem to borrow a bit of the fire salamander concept already used on other pokémon like Charmander and Heatran, but the Poison-type characteristics prevail over that and it looks reptilian enough so it's not an issue.
So far, this is my favorite Gen 7 Pokémon. I still don't know which starter I'm going to choose (still have to see the evos) but I will certainly use this on my team even if I choose Litten.

Also, this is probably just a coincidence but its name reminds me of "Salander", the last name of the protagonist of the Millenium novels/films which *spoiler alert* set her father on fire.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Interesting ability on this guy, hope it gets good enough stats to be useful. Kinda hoping to use more than just Poison status moves on Steel types though, isn't it about time we get something that allows attacking Poison type moves as well?

WastedSkyPirate

Salandit females not only release toxic gases, they can also emit pheromones that attract males of all species, including Pokemon and humans.

In before the anime episode where Brock lusts after a female Salandit.

Starsoulklr

'Rolling around at the speed of sound'
Salandit is here to not only Toxic everything but it is the natural predator to Fairy Types. Sure your Quad Weak To Ground but you Quad Resist Fairy the only Pokemon with that fame right now is Heatran.

I'm hoping it gets a Fire Attack that can also Poison.

SkyeVictini

Seriously, calm down.
Poison/Fire...what a terrifying type combo!

Also, the wild battle theme is what I'm assuming is what's in the video. Am I the only one that thinks it sounds a lot like Unova?

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
"Salandit females not only release toxic gases, they can also emit pheromones that attract males of all species, including Pokemon and humans. Inhaling these pheromones may cause opponents to be controlled by Salandit’s will."

I hope if it evolves, the female one has a different version based on a snake girl cause that would be so cool looking. Like a salamander version of Florges.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
"Salandit females not only release toxic gases, they can also emit pheromones that attract males of all species, including Pokemon and humans. Inhaling these pheromones may cause opponents to be controlled by Salandit’s will."

I hope if it evolves, the female one has a different version based on a snake girl cause that would be so cool looking. Like a salamander version of Florges.

That might be a hint that there is some special difference between male Salandit and the female Salandit. But I do wonder what they mean by causing the opponent to be controlled by Salandit.

BtmnPenguin

Aspiring Trainer
Absolutely LOVE this Pokémon. It looks so devious and sinister. He will definitely be on my team! I also see an evolution for him so hopefully that is just as awesome as this.

I am so impressed with the designs for this generation!!

dotamin

Aspiring Trainer
So first we get the ability that prevents all status conditions bar sleep, then the ability that makes the user immune to priority and now ability that allows you to poison steel types and poison types. Gamefreak is really trying to turn competitive battling upside down. I like the design of that thing even though it reminds me a bit too much of a Sandile line with crook/reptile look. Cool typing.

Mitja

veteran smartass
And there we finally have the type combo I've been wondering about when it'll show up for many generations! (well besides Bug/Dark as the #1 "how is this obvious combo not a thing yet when you would expect it to be common")

Nice, two birds with one.
1. Hooray for a new regular Poison Pokémon. What I mean with that is that it's not a "funny" living garbage concept or something gimmicky, but a more generic creature, and that it is not just Poison tacked onto something (like a Bug or plant Pokémon being poisonous ala Scolipede or Amoonguss etc), but a primarily Poison type Pokemon that will be noteworthy (at least it looks to me like it'll evolve once if not twice).
I reeeeaaally reaally hope it has 3 stages. Because Poison was very poorly covered after genI (which was like half Poison combos XD), got a handful of interesting 2-stagers in gen4 to bring it back to live, then just Garbodor, and Dragalge gen6...all of them 2 stages. So we haven't had a proper 3 stage Poison Pokemon basically since Nidoking/queen and Crobat.
2. Hooray for another Fire Pokemon that's secondary Fire, rather than Fire overshadowing everything else in its design. (so far we had Houndoom, Chandelure, Volcarona if ignoring forms and legends, with everything else being pure Fire or primarily Fire). Heck make it a Sandile-recycle in terms of stats and I'll be happy about it :B

I mean, I actually feel the same excitement as when Sandile was revealed in the BW-hype times lol, which is a good thing. Love this little guy. Cannot wait to see how its tail-pattern is expanded upon evolution.

(but also gotta stress again...they're overdoing the "new exotic type combo"-thing with the reveals.. I really hope this gen is huge and the more natural and simpler ones just aren't deemed exciting for marketing purposes in this stage of the release or something....unless this really is just like XY, in that it's BUILDING upon the whole existing pool of Pokemon with rare exotic Pokémon instead of redoing basic roles with generic Pokemon for a region that can stand on its own feet so to say)

pedropete

Aspiring Trainer
This is one case where I much prefer the 3D model to the official artwork. I like its hunched over, gargoyle-like pose much more than how it looks stretched out. Also I love how it wiggles its tail when it attacks - very realistic!

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the steaming lava flow in the background of the video! It looks amazing! Really exciting development! Definitely gives hints that it won't be found on the first island.

EDIT-

Pause video at 0:11 left and see how the red markings on the tail transform while attacking ! See the little flames/spikes? I like it!!

Last edited:

TrainerLoganPoke

Aspiring Trainer
This is yet another fantastic pokemon shaping alola to take over as my favorite region.

Another good thing is that it seems like game freak is trying to fix the competitive scene which will hopefully make the matches more interesting than this year where basically everyone had primal groudon.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
That might be a hint that there is some special difference between male Salandit and the female Salandit. But I do wonder what they mean by causing the opponent to be controlled by Salandit.

Probably they can use the toxins produced in some sort of mating ritual?

I don't know; to me it seems ambiguous as the who the "opponent" is supposed to be. It's either another Salandit, or an entirely different Pokemon.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
It fires of toxic gas and flames at the base of its tail? So, in other words, it has deadly flatulence? Better put in the french "Steam Siege".

Nahiri

Never gonna be President now
WHAT A CUTE BABY I WANT 20.

Mmm gotta love the l'il lizzurd <33 I'm so happy wow.