New 'Premium Champion' Set, Blastoise Mega Battle Special Pack!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Question that is most important for me is: Does this signal the end of the era, in the same way Legendary Treasures did?

No. The Japanese version of Legendary Treasures (EX Battle Boost) was a regularly scheduled set that fell after the last BW set but before XY1. The Premium Champion Set is a "Concept Pack" (like Magma vs. Aqua or Shiny Collection) and we know that the XY BREAK block is continuing afterward because XY11 has already been announced and will be coming out in June, scheduled just like normal.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
It's being reprinted as it's own set.
No matter what we will have to obtain the reprints here because they will still be legal in the next rotation in Japan.

As a set? No we won't get the exact same thing. Will we get everything reprinted from this set in some form? Yes, unfortunately. Because they have no other choice. Unless they intend to phase out the entire X/Y Next Rotation (which I highly doubt) So people worrying about things in this set have an actual right to worry because they actually need to reprint the cards.

Not really. Japan has its own formats and their rotation system is different, but they have to play by the Western format in the Worlds. So no, even if they reprint cards in Japan, TPCi doesn't have to reprint them here too because if japanese players can't use a specific pool of cards in the tournament, it's not TPCi and Western players' problem. It's that unfair.

As an example, when Ex Power Keepers was released, it featured a bunch of cards exlusive to western players. In Japan, they decided to also release those cards there so Japanese players wouldn't be at a disadvantage. If it was the other way around, TPCi could have skipped the set, as it wouldn't make any difference. That is what happens to all the cards released in Japan (mainly promo cards) that never come to the west.

Also, like Athena just pointed out, it's being released out of the usual schedule. It's not a main set.

Last edited:

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
Why you guys so mad at Toad reprint? Sure it's annoying, but has it actually been winning things lately? I feel like Toad isn't as dominant as it used to be. Toad/Tina is still good, I just don't find a good enough reason to be so upset about this.

On another note, I love the reprint of VS Seeker and Battle Compressor. We needed a card like VS Seeker to boost consistency in Standard format. Battle Compressor also makes Archie/Maxie decks work easily.

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
Of course. Seismitoad is actually in the light side because NM is the annoying deck.

1. This card isn't the problem. NM is.

2. These guys should be reprinted they're balanced enough and even then you don't always draw what you need. Remember Uxie?

3. YES!! WE NEED TOAD WHEN THERE ARE CHEAP OHKO T1 DECKS AROUND. Also, any kind of Item lock is always good.

4. These guys need to be reprinted. The dark bird is the new Darkrai. I really like that Primal Groudon will survive rotation. That guy needs to be successful. BTW, I believe Strong Energy is going to be reprinted. It was included in a Japanese deck.

5. We need him

6. Dunno. It's always nice to keep an interesting card in the format because you never know when it might be good.
Yes. Primal Groudon will survive rotation and still be successful due to the reprinting of Korrina and Strong Energy in the Zygarde Perfect Battle Deck. Not to mention, it has new friends like Regirock EX, Carbink Break, and Zygarde itself.

Pipotchi

Aspiring Trainer
honestly pokemon tcg are stupid as hell for reprinting that Seismitoad. i cant believe they would do something that is so damaging to deck creativity for a second time. and where the hell is our splashable colorless energy STRONG grass attacker? will that ever happen ptcg? what a total joke. its not as dominant as it once was but theres no way that over the next gruelling year there wont be anything printed which buffs it up. I dont understand how anyone can consider such thoughtless item lock to be fun where items are the thing that make current pokemon more fun than playing base set.

also why the hell are they reprinting all these cool legendaries and then just a random ugly toad. primal kyogre should have been the reprint instead even if its not meta.

AAAANYWAYS.... mega beedrill looks really cool. I reckon people would play it with garbodor.

Last edited:

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
I truly pray that Seismitoad doesn't appear anywhere near the next rotation... If there's a chance that these cards, other than the new ones, are just reprints for accessibility as opposed to reprints for preservation, I'll be fine with that. Sadly, since this set blends new cards with the older ones, it appears it will more likely be the latter. :(

silversalamence10

Top Hat Regulator
*Ignores Toad discussion*

GIVE Mega Beedrill (and by extension Beedrill EX). I've been waiting for that thing to come out, sure it might not be very good (the low HP is a turn-off) but I still want it nonetheless.

Clear

Birb is the Word
Although, with Compressor being part of this special reprint set. I am almost certain that, if we get this set somehow, Phantom Forces will be rotated out, and may be we will have some actual good cards on the tables again that is not NM.

Honestly, toad damage output in standard is quite embarrassing. With no laser bank, it is like a 4HKO against the weakest Stage 2s without a Muscle Band/Belt, and about 3HKO with. I know hammer is an issue, but cards like Carbink will find its way into high energy cost decks to prevent hammers, and of course there are cards with dirt cheap attacking costs.

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
So they're reprinting all these XY EXs.. But will they ever reprint any BW EXs? That'd be really neat to see, rather than having the same metagame just over and over for the next few years they could shuffle things up a bit? I don't mean crazy stuff like X-ball mewtwo but the playable EXs just so we had some more variety.

BWP_EN_BW36.png
BW10_EN_60.png
BW6_EN_22.png
BW8_EN_93.png
BW7_EN_9.png
BW9_EN_85.png

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

Hard-hitting Bug
You can use this with Forest of Giant Plants, Virizion, Compressor, Revitalizer, Dragalge (ability), Ariados, Vivillion (ability), Sceptile with E Retrieval, Golduck BREAK, Hypnotoxic, Virbank, M Turno, and more. The options are there, just gotta find a way to make them work.

asdjklghty

-------------
Learn to play. Toad isn't that good anymore anyways. NM beats it. Cheap Grass Weakness for all Water Pokemon is over the top anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
So they're reprinting all these XY EXs.. But will they ever reprint any BW EXs?

Actually this is a really cute idea that I would be totally down for! I mean if they were gonna reprint stuff (in particular EXes) anyways, reviving a couple of playable-but-not-uber ones from BW (or heck, even DP/RS/HGSS with a bit of tweaking) would be much more interesting than preventing "non-support/big meta" Pokémon from rotating. I like it! It's a fun compromise between balancing TPCi's desire to reprint with keeping things kinda fresh :)

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
No. The Japanese version of Legendary Treasures (EX Battle Boost) was a regularly scheduled set that fell after the last BW set but before XY1. The Premium Champion Set is a "Concept Pack" (like Magma vs. Aqua or Shiny Collection) and we know that the XY BREAK block is continuing afterward because XY11 has already been announced and will be coming out in June, scheduled just like normal.

Speaking of XY11, I wonder if the reprints will appear in America's XY11, That would be another signal that the XY era is ending... Not exactly the LT way, but still...

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Speaking of XY11, I wonder if the reprints will appear in America's XY11, That would be another signal that the XY era is ending... Not exactly the LT way, but still...

I don't really think that's all too likely, mostly because CP4 simply has so many cards, 131 not including secrets (which includes FAs in Japanese sets). The Japanese XY11 already has over 100 cards, so if TPCi smooshed both sets into 1 XY11 English set, you'd have a single set with over 200 cards, way more than even the largest previous set (Aquapolis with 186), and that's not even counting any other Japanese cards that would get added in to English XY11, such as other promos or decks, etc.

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
I don't really think that's all too likely, mostly because CP4 simply has so many cards, 131 not including secrets (which includes FAs in Japanese sets). The Japanese XY11 already has over 100 cards, so if TPCi smooshed both sets into 1 XY11 English set, you'd have a single set with over 200 cards, way more than even the largest previous set (Aquapolis with 186), and that's not even counting any other Japanese cards that would get added in to English XY11, such as other promos or decks, etc.

Perhaps they could potentially split them up between a few different sets? That'd be interesting to see definitely.