• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

new player with a deck of old cards

killers0820

Aspiring Trainer
recently, a couple friends of mine starting getting into pokemon cards, so i mustered up a fire deck out of the cards i collected as a kid. as a result, most of the cards are from the first generation and some are outdated (like the 'bill' cards are trainers instead of supporters). i'm going out with my friends to look for better cards or decks, and i'm wondering if there are any cards in my makeshift deck that i could use in a more competitive deck.

there are only 52 cards in the deck since i didn't have any others that fit into a fire deck. some of the cards are from my friends newer decks, but most are from 7-9 years ago.

10 fire energies
2 double colorless energies

2 charmanders
1 charmeleon
4 ponyta
1 rapidash
1 vulpix
1 ninetales
2 growlithe
1 magmar
1 slugma
2 lickitung
1 skitty

1 professor elm's training method
1 black belt
1 twins
4 bills (from back when they were trainer cards)
1 proffesor oak
2 pokedex
2 energy removal
1 energy switch
1 energy search
1 potion
1 pokenav
2 switch
1 energy flow
1 energy retrieval

i just want to know if i should build off this deck, use it to make a newer fire-deck, or get an entirely new deck/strategy all together.

thank you!

Next time, lease enter what set they cam from.

You don't need to do it like this:
eg.
3 Charmander
2 Charmeleon
3 Charizard

You can do this:
eg.
3-2-3 Charizard.

This indicates that there are 3 of the first evolution of a card, 2 of the second evolution.

Your deck doesn't seem to have any strategy. It looks like you just chucked in a bunch of random fire types. There is no use for having just a charmander and charmeleon with no Charizard, same goes for everything else.

that saves a lot of time. and i really did just throw together all of the fire type cards that i had. im wondering if there any strategies that i can make out of them?

If you want to stick with a straight up {R} deck (which I wouldn't recommend, since if you come up against a decent {W} type you have no chance) I would run either a 4-3-2 or a 3-3-2 of the Charizard branch (make sure it is from Platinum Arceus) and make that the backbone of your deck. You can then run some good stage 1 branches in there for support, like some Arcanines or Ninetails (for drawpower).

Another thing to consider is to pair up your fire with something else. Grass is the first thing that comes to mind for me...more specifically the Masqurain branch, since 1 {G} energy for 30 damage plus a 2 card drawpower. Plus the no retreat cost tactical advantage. But there are other types to consider as well..you could run a {R}/{M} deck; considering that Heatran is a duel type. Its all preference though. Hope that helps

Back