Help New player needing help with deck!

Zeph Curtis

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys, i am sure you get asked this question all the time but i would like some top tier deck lists to get me going. I played this game as a young teen maybe 15 years ago but have no idea what to do with all these new pokemon. I live in a small town amd the nearest league is about an hour away but i would like to make a deck that is tournament and league play viable with the current expansions and rotation etc. I have been doing hours of research but my head is spinning! I have a pretty high budget for making one or 2 decks so any help you can offer would be awesome!

There’s a post somewhere on here about staples to buy that go into all decks. Find that - lots of good info there as far as what to buy. There’s a LOT of overlap with decks in standard, and with the correct purchases you could have 75% or pretty much every deck. Then it’s just swapping out Pokémon, energies, and a few certain trainers. Done.

As far as specific deck suggestions, I’d try something linear. Volcanion, Greninja, VikaBulu, Metagross, etc. These decks all have specific strategies that you can tweak moving forward. Solgaleo is prb the most hyped deck going into the next set so maybe buying into that now before things get pricey would be smart. Hope this helps!

as usual, the deck list from the previous tournaments are online. that would be a good place to start.
even with a good budget... I probably recommend that you get the staples first. trainers/supports and cards like Tapu Lele...
its worthwhile to get back into the swing of the game/meta before you zero in on your 1 or 2 decks. once you see how the game is currently... maybe you can narrow down a deck that fits your style and personality. speed. disruption. power. etc..

Golisopod gx/zoroark gx is probably the BDIF right now. It has a natural counter to lycanroc gx and you can add a evolutions mewtwo for buzzwole. The consistantcy is great because of trade and there is no way to OHKO unless you play volcanion which is too slow for this deck or buzzwole but all you need is a DCE and evolutions mewtwo to kill it. It is faster than garde, metagross, and several others.

Ok, i appreciate all the responses! I found a decidueye GX/Zoroark GX deck list on here that i kinda liked. But based on the above responses i wouldnt be bad off just ordering diego cassigaras gardevoir championship deck. That would get me some staples and introduce me to the newer strategies, sound aboit right? Do you have a golisopod/zoroark deck list suggestion? Thanks again guys.

Ok, i appreciate all the responses! I found a decidueye GX/Zoroark GX deck list on here that i kinda liked. But based on the above responses i wouldnt be bad off just ordering diego cassigaras gardevoir championship deck. That would get me some staples and introduce me to the newer strategies, sound aboit right? Do you have a golisopod/zoroark deck list suggestion? Thanks again guys.
Unfortunately, no. The World Championship Decks aren’t legal.

Why is it not legal? I mean, i know the $14 decks at walmart arent legal lol. But what would stop someone from building the same deck?

Im sorry, forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by last format?
Pokémon uses a rotation format where every year at the start of September the remove a couple of the older sets from being available to use in the standard format (they are still available for expanded format which is every set from XY on).

Worlds happened prior to the current rotation so the decks have a bunch of cards from sere that rotated out of standard in September

Ok thank you for that clarification. So, is there aan easy way to figure out if a card is legal or do i just need to search each card and compare it to the current format?

Expect the next rotation in September (happens every September) to be Sun and Moon on. May factor in to you purchasing strategy. Staples to get 1 or 2 playsets of (4 of a kind) are:

Ultra Ball
N
Professor Sycamore
Double Colorless Energy
Energy of all types (easy to get a bunch in Elite Trainer Boxes)
and of course, 2-3 Tapu Lele

Everyone feel free to add to this...

Here is a link to all the expansions and generations ever so you get a feel for the landscape.

Last edited:
Expect the next rotation in September (happens every September) to be Sun and Moon on. May factor in to you purchasing strategy. Staples to get 1 or 2 playsets of (4 of a kind) are:

Ultra Ball
N
Professor Sycamore
Double Colorless Energy
Energy of all types (easy to get a bunch in Elite Trainer Boxes)
and of course, 2-3 Tapu Lele

Everyone feel free to add to this...

Here is a link to all the expansions and generations ever so you get a feel for the landscape.
no need for fairy energy...
I mean, who likes gardie anyways...

Alright guys and gals, just ordered a bunch of cards. Enough for two deck lists i liked. So now ive just gotta eait for them to come in and then go to a nearby league or tournament and try that shoot out

playtest and practice.
you need to play a deck 20+ times to learn it. if you want to change out a card, don't change more than 1-2 at a time.
once you change it out, play the deck another 10+ times to see how it runs.
if possible. play against as many decks as you can.
even during play test and practice... 2 out 3 games helps. EVERYONE can have a bad draw or bad game. so don't be swayed by 1 game.
good luck. have fun.

Back