XY New Games and Remakes

Drohn

Wild War Dance
In this thread you can discuss the different possibilities for new Pokémon games or remakes of existing games.

Note: I moved several posts from the Emerald Dilemma discussion into this thread, since they were off-topic there. Please keep that in mind to prevent confusion when reading the discussion.

[split] Emerald Dilemma

Looks like all the 6th gen games will not have a 3rd copy. See on the 3DS there is way more room to work with. Meaning more data space so they can squeeze what they used to use in the 3rd copy into 2 whole games where before we had to have the need for another game cart for the rest of the extra stuff. They now have eliminated the 3rd copy process. Now that is not needed anymore. That is why we always had to have a 3rd game for each generation.. Looks like to me that is all gone as we just saw with X/Y there was no need for a 3rd game. I don't think we will see a 3rd game antmore until the Super 3DS'S come out in a year or so then we might have a 3rd game. I think that is now out the window for sure. See before we need a 3rd game because of the processor and RAM capacities. Now that technology has improved a great deal over the years we only need 2 games. In about 20 years from now expect to have only one game cart per generation. It may still be the wave of the future but that yet has to be decided but it still could happen. It is a long way out but in roughly 20 years we may only have one game cart for everything.:) Also way more Pokemon. Probably close to 2,000 if not more.:)

RE: Emerald Dilemma

xxashxx said:
Looks like all the 6th gen games will not have a 3rd copy. See on the 3DS there is way more room to work with. Meaning more data space so they can squeeze what they used to use in the 3rd copy into 2 whole games where before we had to have the need for another game cart for the rest of the extra stuff. They now have eliminated the 3rd copy process. Now that is not needed anymore. That is why we always had to have a 3rd game for each generation.. Looks like to me that is all gone as we just saw with X/Y there was no need for a 3rd game. I don't think we will see a 3rd game antmore until the Super 3DS'S come out in a year or so then we might have a 3rd game. I think that is now out the window for sure. See before we need a 3rd game because of the processor and RAM capacities. Now that technology has improved a great deal over the years we only need 2 games. In about 20 years from now expect to have only one game cart per generation. It may still be the wave of the future but that yet has to be decided but it still could happen. It is a long way out but in roughly 20 years we may only have one game cart for everything.:) Also way more Pokemon. Probably close to 2,000 if not more.:)

The third versions have everything the original 2 games have, but with all the extras added, so obviously that was never a reason for the third version.

the reason for Yellow and Crystal was barely more than moneymilking. the later ones were more of a tradition but continued to grow in extra features, and then BW2 blew them all out of the water by actually playing like a new game. It remains to be seen what XY-sequel will do, but saying third versions/sequels are a thing of the past makes no sense, especially with Zygarde staring you in the face.

Emerald for example still only used ~80% of it's rom-size, and if they needed more they could have used a cart dobule the size, or even quadruple, they both existed.

GS used ~75% of the rom-size, but then Crystal only used ~50% of its size because they changed to a cart that was twice as big.
Same thing with BW2, they switched to a bigger cart, but they still had bigger ones as options.

data-limit was NEVER an issue to begin with.

CrphFjP.png

Nope. In 20 years, we'll have 1400, maybe. That's not even 10 times the original amount!
We won't even hit 2000 by 2050..
Everyone is overestimating the pace at which pokemon is expanded. It's such a perfect pace.

It does not quite make sense. How can XY and an Emerald Remake happen if the next new games are on the way and they did not make a 3rd game for X/Y? How could this work if there was no 3rd version out now instead of Or/AS. The Emerald thing is most likely out as well. That still could happen because the new games have not been launched at all yet but are still coming. The reason why I said the things about the extra versions was why I thought that was why they made them. They did add more fun but still that is probably why I think they made 3rd versions.:)

I think there may be more remakes in the future, and that because a long period of development for the pokemon games (making new pokemon, their design, etc) is now gone for the most part and replaced with mega-evolutions in this new remake, they wouldn't have trouble doing the same with the other past-generation games and bringing them up to date with the new premise of Mega-Evolution which plays a strong role in where Pokemon seems to be headed currently.

They could introduce remakes of most games while taking out extra versions or the "third" version, in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire's Case, Emerald; and they can then push out new games where you can obtain those past-generation pokemon without the use of Pokebank and Poke-Transfer; at least, this is how I view their plan from afar or outside of it.

Once all of the remakes they intend to do have been done, they could then pull a 'third version' or 'extra version' of the games included with a new storyline and added features for "Z and Delta Emerald" which people have been expecting and speculating for a while now. This would have the added bonus of adventuring through with new pokemon, new mega evolutions, new features, and possibly an expanded-on game from the priors while also receiving feedback from players as they progress through the remakes of what they like about where pokemon is going and where it should head (without changing course); Z and Delta Emerald would then scoop up the people who have been on the fence about getting it, people who want the third version, and people who have played only X or ORAS and want to play the other one.

Reasons for this method?
1. Yeah, making games that contain old pokemon may put a little strain on pokebank at first glance, but really.. It promotes pokebank in that you want to carry those newly available pokemon over to all of these games. And the people who have pokebank but don't have the games prior can then purchase these new games tailored for the 3DS and its variants in mind (The New 3DS) which will also be a tad more expensive and net them more money in the long-run then transferring up the chain of generations while also letting the player have an easier way to get these pokemon.

2. Pokemon has developed over the course of years which anything is liable to do, as such Pokemon, for better or for worse for some of its fans. But! They may see things in a new light, such as how they go back and redesign their old pokemon with these (Mega-Evolutions) and how the pokemon from each generation does take a little deviance in the original until people question the legitimacy of the pokemon included in each region and criticize pokemon for losing its originality, but only pokemon has evolved in a sense with new artists and artists who have grown in their style of art. It's still the same game at heart, but only redesigned, revisioned, etc, and they want players to get a glimpse of that and not turn away, but support them nonetheless.

3. Remaking games will further appeal to the nostalgia of Pokemon's core fan base, those who have been with it for a great amount of time. Going through adventures and seeing these regions in 3D while also having the same species of pokemon and a general similar story will appeal to the nostalgia of fans and may attract customers who otherwise wouldn't buy into Pokemon's new gimmick of "Mega Evolution, Primal Evolution, etc."

4. 3D, in general, gives the artists more freedom and liberty in creating these pokemon, these regions, etc and it's natural that they would want to venture out on this field and look at the past games and think they should be realized on the 3D side of gaming which now fits into a hand-held, which has always been Pokemon's preferred medium for its game. Now they get to realize that, and they may want to show the worlds with more depth.

5. Again, the accessibility of Pokemon to people who are just coming into the Pokemon World of Gaming and look at all these of Gameboy Advance Games and feel it as inferior to the 3DS. I know, I know, if they aren't able to go through the means of obtaining these pokemon by digging into relics of the past, they aren't worthy of the joys of the future.. But that is harsh to children who look at flip-phones and think of them as a pre-historic ancient artifact. They want to be user-friendly, and so having these new remakes will also appeal to their younger audience which is still a part of their target audience or demographic. By making these new games, it'll appeal to the younger-audience and they'll come, while.. The desire for Pokebank will increase because of that! Which brings me back to the continuous remakes and the possibility of third versions being done after that, rather than during for other reasons listed above.

6. While one hand draws, another hand fills in the lines. As they make these remakes, they can still devote their time to developing more pokemon, another region, and a storyline for that while keeping up with the demand for pokemon games in general and pursuing the interests of their fans one step at a time. Step by step, you're able to walk to the ends of the earth; Regardless, the question then becomes.. How long will it take for you to walk those steps or will the Pokemon Fanbase eventually tire out of the remakes and crave original games more? It's another possibility you have to take into account, and if the means justify the ends or vice versa.

Of course, this is all speculation, so take anything I say worth a grain of salt. But, my conclusion would be that Delta may come in the future as well as other 3rd versions, but patience is a virtue.

Yeah sounds like right now they are headed in the same direction to how Monster Rancher and Digimon went and those shows did not last very long. Maybe when 7th gen comes out we will have a brand new set of 150 Pokemon or possibly more. Gen 6 I think only got 68 new Pokemon or was it 71? Anyway that is the way it looks to me. They must have some really big plans after these games are released since Pokemon is HUGE in Japan and here Pokemon is pretty much tied with the Mario series ATM. Or at least #2 if not tied with Mario.:)

xxashxx said:
It does not quite make sense. How can XY and an Emerald Remake happen if the next new games are on the way and they did not make a 3rd game for X/Y? How could this work if there was no 3rd version out now instead of Or/AS. The Emerald thing is most likely out as well. That still could happen because the new games have not been launched at all yet but are still coming. The reason why I said the things about the extra versions was why I thought that was why they made them. They did add more fun but still that is probably why I think they made 3rd versions.:)

Perhaps the third version is indeed tied with memory space but since it was few, GF didn't wanted to create too much stuff and so they didn't included everything like they wanted to. With the paired versions finished and already knowing how to better work with the systems and perhaps with some memory space left, perhaps they went ahead with a third version to change the looks to how they were supposed to be and expand areas, because what Mitja said is right: the third versions are always the paired ones with more.

Also, about your comment on the existence of paired versions, I don't think they'll disappear because they are needed to motivate trading and connecting, which is a core principle of the series.

xxashxx said:

No one is even suggesting Emerald is getting a remake, the opposite, we are now certain it won't happen more than before because Rayquaza gets a role in ORAS already.

They did not make a third game for XY (refered to as Z or XY2 or XZYZ sometimes) YET.
You're wrongly assuming that ORAS being released prevents them from making the XY sequel after ORAS for some reason.
Clearly they got more in store for Kalos as a region (rhyhorn racing, powerplants, pokeball-factory, train station in the east etc..), the story with AZ and his Floette (as hackers have found that Eternal Floette is an actual separate pokemon in the games data), and of course Zygarde who is definitely getting 2 formes of some kind (since there are two clone-moves of Lands Wrath in the games data like was the case with Ice Burn/Freezeshock for Kyurem).

We are getting Z/XY2/XZYZ/whatever-they'll-be-called after ORAS, perhaps even next year already if they intend to keep this recent yearly release pace going.

Fancy said:
I think there may be more remakes in the future, and that because a long period of development for the pokemon games (making new pokemon, their design, etc) is now gone for the most part and replaced with mega-evolutions in this new remake, they wouldn't have trouble doing the same with the other past-generation games and bringing them up to date with the new premise of Mega-Evolution which plays a strong role in where Pokemon seems to be headed currently.

They could introduce remakes of most games while taking out extra versions or the "third" version, in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire's Case, Emerald; and they can then push out new games where you can obtain those past-generation pokemon without the use of Pokebank and Poke-Transfer; at least, this is how I view their plan from afar or outside of it.

Once all of the remakes they intend to do have been done, they could then pull a 'third version' or 'extra version' of the games included with a new storyline and added features for "Z and Delta Emerald" which people have been expecting and speculating for a while now. This would have the added bonus of adventuring through with new pokemon, new mega evolutions, new features, and possibly an expanded-on game from the priors while also receiving feedback from players as they progress through the remakes of what they like about where pokemon is going and where it should head (without changing course); Z and Delta Emerald would then scoop up the people who have been on the fence about getting it, people who want the third version, and people who have played only X or ORAS and want to play the other one.

Reasons for this method?
1. Yeah, making games that contain old pokemon may put a little strain on pokebank at first glance, but really.. It promotes pokebank in that you want to carry those newly available pokemon over to all of these games. And the people who have pokebank but don't have the games prior can then purchase these new games tailored for the 3DS and its variants in mind (The New 3DS) which will also be a tad more expensive and net them more money in the long-run then transferring up the chain of generations while also letting the player have an easier way to get these pokemon.

2. Pokemon has developed over the course of years which anything is liable to do, as such Pokemon, for better or for worse for some of its fans. But! They may see things in a new light, such as how they go back and redesign their old pokemon with these (Mega-Evolutions) and how the pokemon from each generation does take a little deviance in the original until people question the legitimacy of the pokemon included in each region and criticize pokemon for losing its originality, but only pokemon has evolved in a sense with new artists and artists who have grown in their style of art. It's still the same game at heart, but only redesigned, revisioned, etc, and they want players to get a glimpse of that and not turn away, but support them nonetheless.

3. Remaking games will further appeal to the nostalgia of Pokemon's core fan base, those who have been with it for a great amount of time. Going through adventures and seeing these regions in 3D while also having the same species of pokemon and a general similar story will appeal to the nostalgia of fans and may attract customers who otherwise wouldn't buy into Pokemon's new gimmick of "Mega Evolution, Primal Evolution, etc."

4. 3D, in general, gives the artists more freedom and liberty in creating these pokemon, these regions, etc and it's natural that they would want to venture out on this field and look at the past games and think they should be realized on the 3D side of gaming which now fits into a hand-held, which has always been Pokemon's preferred medium for its game. Now they get to realize that, and they may want to show the worlds with more depth.

5. Again, the accessibility of Pokemon to people who are just coming into the Pokemon World of Gaming and look at all these of Gameboy Advance Games and feel it as inferior to the 3DS. I know, I know, if they aren't able to go through the means of obtaining these pokemon by digging into relics of the past, they aren't worthy of the joys of the future.. But that is harsh to children who look at flip-phones and think of them as a pre-historic ancient artifact. They want to be user-friendly, and so having these new remakes will also appeal to their younger audience which is still a part of their target audience or demographic. By making these new games, it'll appeal to the younger-audience and they'll come, while.. The desire for Pokebank will increase because of that! Which brings me back to the continuous remakes and the possibility of third versions being done after that, rather than during for other reasons listed above.

6. While one hand draws, another hand fills in the lines. As they make these remakes, they can still devote their time to developing more pokemon, another region, and a storyline for that while keeping up with the demand for pokemon games in general and pursuing the interests of their fans one step at a time. Step by step, you're able to walk to the ends of the earth; Regardless, the question then becomes.. How long will it take for you to walk those steps or will the Pokemon Fanbase eventually tire out of the remakes and crave original games more? It's another possibility you have to take into account, and if the means justify the ends or vice versa.

Of course, this is all speculation, so take anything I say worth a grain of salt. But, my conclusion would be that Delta may come in the future as well as other 3rd versions, but patience is a virtue.

I. Sure there will probably be more remakes.. but not anytime soon. As explained above, we're very likely getting a return to Kalos next (with even more Mega business but focused on the newer 2 generations etc..).
It is curious though, the remake game is running out and will collapse into absurdity now that FRLG, the first remakes will be the most outdated games yet again.. so we shall see if they shake things up presumably next gen.
However there is nothing implying that the regular "new generation" main games is not going to be continued (if that's really what you're saying). We are still very much on track with the alternation between big+fresh gens and small+evolving gens, only difference between 2,4 and 6 is that it's now mega evolutions rather than regular evolutions.

II. There is all sorts of ways to make old pokemon available...like simply making them available in new games /facepalm. XY alone make like ~90% of all pokemon available without the need for transfers. pokemon availability IS NOT THE DETERMINING reason for what game is next. It was a partial reason for FRLG, but even there it was not the main reason of making those games just a neat consequence. They could have put all the old pokemon in Emerald or anything if FRLG hadn't happened!

III. I am absolutely confused about what you're saying. You're suggesting Emerald and Z to happen when? After ORAS? (Emerald no, Z obviously yes) Some future gen when the current become outdated again, as in making a remake of the third version rather than remaking remakes? While that sounds like a neat solution, it's actually redundant, as the remakes so far all feature the third version features and it seems that even ORAS is trying to (hence this thread.).

1. strain/promotion of pokebank? neither of those are relevant. pokebank is a utility for anyone who wants to use it, and its going to only continue being useful REGARDLESS of what the next game is, as the sole point of it was universal compatibility from now on, so they never have to make special transfer-methods for every game again. It has nothing to do with this topic or gamefreaks "game-plan".

2. pokemon changes, and sometimes does nostalgic sometimes fresh things, yeah. not seeing the relevance here either.

3. if that was the case, they just did ruin it by pushing the new stuff into the remakes thata re supposed to be nostalgia-focused. No. It's always a combination of both nostalgia and new, it's the ratio between them that is shifting back and forth every game/gen.

4. yeah...but what are implying? that we will get several sets of remakes in a row now before anything new? That's an extraordinary prediction, what makes you think that?

5. again, pokemon availability is in no way tied to whether the game is new or a remake. and pokebank will be useful regardless if its a new game or a remake too....

6. gamefreak usually works on more than one project at a time. Kalos sequel development is likely in full speed and they're probably already contemplating ideas for gen 7 while ORAS development is wrapping up.
Of course 3 remakes with megas in a row would be boring and tiresome, you're the one proposing this anomalous plan in the first place.

xxashxx said:
Yeah sounds like right now they are headed in the same direction to how Monster Rancher and Digimon went and those shows did not last very long. Maybe when 7th gen comes out we will have a brand new set of 150 Pokemon or possibly more. Gen 6 I think only got 68 new Pokemon or was it 71? Anyway that is the way it looks to me. They must have some really big plans after these games are released since Pokemon is HUGE in Japan and here Pokemon is pretty much tied with the Mario series ATM. Or at least #2 if not tied with Mario.:)

same direction as monster franchises using a show as their basis that didnt last long....wiat what? Pokemon IS already lasting long and the core are its games, not the show.

Yeah, gen 6 was small (which was expected!), but also introduced mega evolutions at the same time (which are still growing in numbers mid-gen..). I expect gen 7 to have ~110 new ones, with an initial break from mega evolutions, just to go focus on mega-evolutions or something similar towards the second half of it again.

I don't know if the two clones of Lands Wrath necessarily mean Zygarde is getting two formes like Kyurem (most likely, it is, but still...). I just don't see why should they give two formes to Zygarde, mostly because I was expecting its new "forme" to be some sort of Mega Evolution, but in a special way (like the Primals or Mega Rayquaza). Zygarde has 600 BST, with a Mega, it would have 700BST, which surpasses Xerneas and Yveltal, reflecting what seems to be its role as a mediator of the two, not very different from Rayquaza. I may be wrong because I was expecting Kyurem's only new forme to be the original dragon and then they punched me in the face with two Kyurem formes, which are cool, but no original dragon was a disappointment to me... Also, two formes for Zygarde probably means two games like B2W2 (XZYZ as people like to call them) instead of a Pokémon Z... which would sould cooler to me (plus Dragonball puns and references lol).

The ideia of having 3rd versions remade in the future actually sounds nice to me. Like Mitja said, FRLG will become the most outdated games and they're remakes. I don't see them doing remakes of remakes, so why not a Yellow remake (Pokémon ThunderYellow)? Of course, as referenced, this wouldn't work with Crystal and now, Emerald, as they included Crystal elements in HGSS and ORAS seems to be following that direction, even though I doubt they will do justice to Emerald's plot...

That worries me about the inevitable future DP remakes... Just like Emerald, Platinum is so much better than DP, and I'm worried that with DP remakes, they will stay true to Giratina's species name and forget about it, or feature it in a way that won't reflect its mighty appearance in Platinum. Like, will they care about the Distortion World in DP remakes? I doubt it... And if they do the same thing to Dialga and Palkia that they're doing with Kyogre and Groudon (getting new forms to have something new, which didn't happen in HGSS with Lugia and Ho-oh, by the way), where does that leave Giratina at? Rayquaza was easy, it didn't have any alternate forms until now, Giratina already has Origin forme...
I'm sorry if I'm being biased towards Giratina but its part was much more interesting in the games than Dialga and Palkia and as you may notice, I like it a lot...

Metalizard said:
I don't know if the two clones of Lands Wrath necessarily mean Zygarde is getting two formes like Kyurem (most likely, it is, but still...). I just don't see why should they give two formes to Zygarde, mostly because I was expecting its new "forme" to be some sort of Mega Evolution, but in a special way (like the Primals or Mega Rayquaza). Zygarde has 600 BST, with a Mega, it would have 700BST, which surpasses Xerneas and Yveltal, reflecting what seems to be its role as a mediator of the two, not very different from Rayquaza. I may be wrong because I was expecting Kyurem's only new forme to be the original dragon and then they punched me in the face with two Kyurem formes, which are cool, but no original dragon was a disappointment to me... Also, two formes for Zygarde probably means two games like B2W2 (XZYZ as people like to call them) instead of a Pokémon Z... which would sould cooler to me (plus Dragonball puns and references lol).

The ideia of having 3rd versions remade in the future actually sounds nice to me. Like Mitja said, FRLG will become the most outdated games and they're remakes. I don't see them doing remakes of remakes, so why not a Yellow remake (Pokémon ThunderYellow)? Of course, as referenced, this wouldn't work with Crystal and now, Emerald, as they included Crystal elements in HGSS and ORAS seems to be following that direction, even though I doubt they will do justice to Emerald's plot...

That worries me about the inevitable future DP remakes... Just like Emerald, Platinum is so much better than DP, and I'm worried that with DP remakes, they will stay true to Giratina's species name and forget about it, or feature it in a way that won't reflect its mighty appearance in Platinum. Like, will they care about the Distortion World in DP remakes? I doubt it... And if they do the same thing to Dialga and Palkia that they're doing with Kyogre and Groudon (getting new forms to have something new, which didn't happen in HGSS with Lugia and Ho-oh, by the way), where does that leave Giratina at? Rayquaza was easy, it didn't have any alternate forms until now, Giratina already has Origin forme...
I'm sorry if I'm being biased towards Giratina but its part was much more interesting in the games than Dialga and Palkia and as you may notice, I like it a lot...

The original dragon would indeed be cooler and more reasonable than just fusion. I wonder if B2/W2 will be the games getting a third version called Gray3 or something, where both Zekrom and Reshiram fuse with Kyurem. :rolleyes:
I can see Zygarde getting two distinct forms/Mega-evolutions/primal devolution because of its asymetrical design which is odd in a Legendary Pokémon and because said design reminds me of what seems to be the shedding of it's skin.

About the DP/Pt remakes, (sadly) there's nothing hard with it. GF just retconned R/S/E legend regarding the Weather trio, so they can just as well retcon the creation myth and have Cynthia explain it in the newer way, changing the Griseous Orb into Giratinolite or something and the other two Orbs into something-lite.
Unfortunately, while at it, Mega-evolutions will just keep appearing and replacing actual evolutions or branched evos and forms, and giving the job of explaining it to some older NPC.

Metalizard said:

-//-

I call the Lands Wrath clones clones, because they are technically (power, type, physical, PP, accuracy, target) the same move with an added effect and just a different name/animation. And this implies that the new moves REPLACE Lands Wrath somehow, rather than Zygarde being able to learn them additionally to Lands Wrath.
And that just smells of Kyurem, who has the sig.move Glaciate as a placeholder of which it's actual signature moves FreezeShock/IceBurn aren't even clones.. so Lands Wrath is an even more obvious placeholder-signature move than Glaciate was.
The other thing is that it's quite safe to assume we aren't getting a third version that exists parallel, but rather a continuation of the story (akin to BW2), and in that situation one mascot of XY is out of the story (woken by Flare and defeated/caught by protagonist), leaving Zygarde to only deal with the other mascot when it will attempt to bring balance (and besides, does anyone actually expect Zygarde to face both Yveltal and Xerneas rather than just one?). With all that in mind, 2 sequels is not just obvious it's also the most elegant way to go about it. And two games with the same face on the cover would be redundant, hence 2 Zygarde formes. (Now whether they'll be fully black/fully green or actually a straight red/blue-colored Kyurem rip-off is really a topic for another thread...)

As for Sinnoh remakes...I sincerely hope they get their act together and do something more creative for once.

Leaf_Ranger said:
...they can just as well retcon the creation myth and have Cynthia explain it in the newer way, changing the Griseous Orb into Giratinolite or something and the other two Orbs into something-lite.

Nah, they won't change the Orbs to generic mega stones.
Groudon/Kyogres primals and Rayquazas Mega are also none of them generic mega evolutions.

I can see them buffing Origin-forme Giratina though, as it's pretty much the origin for the idea of mega evolution with its signature held item changing it's forme.
I'd love that because right now Origin forme is inferior despite being the more special of its appearances. It gains Levitate (which is more of a common-sense fitting change rather than intentional buff) but loses the held item for slight stat adjustments...

Altered 150 100 120 100 120 90
holding Griseous orb triggers optional pseudo-evolution rather than general forme change
Origin 150 140 120 140 120 110
/fixed

Then give some to Dialga/Palkia and finish it off with an Omni Arceus event a year later LOL nvm

Mitja said:
xxashxx said:

No one is even suggesting Emerald is getting a remake, the opposite, we are now certain it won't happen more than before because Rayquaza gets a role in ORAS already.

They did not make a third game for XY (refered to as Z or XY2 or XZYZ sometimes) YET.
You're wrongly assuming that ORAS being released prevents them from making the XY sequel after ORAS for some reason.
Clearly they got more in store for Kalos as a region (rhyhorn racing, powerplants, pokeball-factory, train station in the east etc..), the story with AZ and his Floette (as hackers have found that Eternal Floette is an actual separate pokemon in the games data), and of course Zygarde who is definitely getting 2 formes of some kind (since there are two clone-moves of Lands Wrath in the games data like was the case with Ice Burn/Freezeshock for Kyurem).

We are getting Z/XY2/XZYZ/whatever-they'll-be-called after ORAS, perhaps even next year already if they intend to keep this recent yearly release pace going.

Fancy said:

Reasons for this method?

I. Sure there will probably be more remakes.. but not anytime soon. As explained above, we're very likely getting a return to Kalos next (with even more Mega business but focused on the newer 2 generations etc..).
It is curious though, the remake game is running out and will collapse into absurdity now that FRLG, the first remakes will be the most outdated games yet again.. so we shall see if they shake things up presumably next gen.
However there is nothing implying that the regular "new generation" main games is not going to be continued (if that's really what you're saying). We are still very much on track with the alternation between big+fresh gens and small+evolving gens, only difference between 2,4 and 6 is that it's now mega evolutions rather than regular evolutions.

II. There is all sorts of ways to make old pokemon available...like simply making them available in new games /facepalm. XY alone make like ~90% of all pokemon available without the need for transfers. pokemon availability IS NOT THE DETERMINING reason for what game is next. It was a partial reason for FRLG, but even there it was not the main reason of making those games just a neat consequence. They could have put all the old pokemon in Emerald or anything if FRLG hadn't happened!

III. I am absolutely confused about what you're saying. You're suggesting Emerald and Z to happen when? After ORAS? (Emerald no, Z obviously yes) Some future gen when the current become outdated again, as in making a remake of the third version rather than remaking remakes? While that sounds like a neat solution, it's actually redundant, as the remakes so far all feature the third version features and it seems that even ORAS is trying to (hence this thread.).

1. strain/promotion of pokebank? neither of those are relevant. pokebank is a utility for anyone who wants to use it, and its going to only continue being useful REGARDLESS of what the next game is, as the sole point of it was universal compatibility from now on, so they never have to make special transfer-methods for every game again. It has nothing to do with this topic or gamefreaks "game-plan".

2. pokemon changes, and sometimes does nostalgic sometimes fresh things, yeah. not seeing the relevance here either.

3. if that was the case, they just did ruin it by pushing the new stuff into the remakes thata re supposed to be nostalgia-focused. No. It's always a combination of both nostalgia and new, it's the ratio between them that is shifting back and forth every game/gen.

4. yeah...but what are implying? that we will get several sets of remakes in a row now before anything new? That's an extraordinary prediction, what makes you think that?

5. again, pokemon availability is in no way tied to whether the game is new or a remake. and pokebank will be useful regardless if its a new game or a remake too....

6. gamefreak usually works on more than one project at a time. Kalos sequel development is likely in full speed and they're probably already contemplating ideas for gen 7 while ORAS development is wrapping up.
Of course 3 remakes with megas in a row would be boring and tiresome, you're the one proposing this anomalous plan in the first place.

xxashxx said:

same direction as monster franchises using a show as their basis that didnt last long....wiat what? Pokemon IS already lasting long and the core are its games, not the show.

Yeah, gen 6 was small (which was expected!), but also introduced mega evolutions at the same time (which are still growing in numbers mid-gen..). I expect gen 7 to have ~110 new ones, with an initial break from mega evolutions, just to go focus on mega-evolutions or something similar towards the second half of it again.

Abut fr/lg my theory is when these situations come up like the one fr/lg is currently in they'll turn to the third version, so I Think Z will come in 2015 and pokemon sea blue or lighting yellow (both?) will be released in 2016 for pokemons 20th anniversary and to give kanto another remake as its the most outdated (atlough that makes giving us the kanto starters and the kanto legendary pokemon in x/y useless)

Wrapped up your points and my points in a little spoiler, and I hope I addressed your discrepancies and confusion satisfactorily.
Mitja said:

I. Actually, I was saying that the remakes could be made using less time and development than normal main-series games and in that they could produce more in a short-span of time while making main-series games as an important part doesn't really exist in the remakes: Developing the Vast Pokemon featured in the region. They would only have to convert a past-game into a 3D World, Add some Megas, a Story, and a few finishing details (Sure this is embellished, but the point that it is less time-consuming by a noticeable margin remains nonetheless, evidence of this is that the release date is coming rather soon after a pokemon game had been released just the prior year.)

II. Yes, there are 'all sorts of ways to make pokemon available', Poke-Safari, Regular Routes, etc. But the pokemon list is always growing, and is rather vast presently, and to make all pokemon available shortly within the next few games would be a bit straining; regardless, it can be achieved over the course of multiple main-series games which I believe will eventually happen, as you say with other ways to make pokemon more accessible, but right now a lot have low-accessibility. With this, making 'remakes' of the past generations would then allow pokemon to have more accessibility (including past mascot pokemon, trios, duos, etc.), while also providing pokemon with a more expansive list of games on the 3DS Console.

III. Sorry for the confusion, Mitja. I'm suggesting that third versions will come out after remakes or main-series games do, but not until Gamefreak has "brought pokemon up to date" with mega evolution. In Kalos, we were able to get three Kanto Starters, sure, those pokemon are up to date. But there are other Kanto Pokemon, other Kanto Features, and more Megas waiting to be found within that region, and other regions for that matter! Making third versions after they have made progress on uniting the past generations with the current matters using, Main-Series games (as your solution) or Remakes, they may push out a third version game.

You also address the lack of Third Version features when we look at past Emerald, but how they execute the Third Version may not have rhyme or reason to the prior Emerald; it could take place years after ORAS (Akin to Black and White, and Black 2 and White 2), it could add new features (Similar to Join Avenue and the Theater Contest), it could expand on features already within ORAS, and it could come with more pokemon available. Pinning down a rigid view of a third-version remake seems a little too restrictive; possibilities for it remain ad infinitum, and we have yet to see the features in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire and know what could be expanded on or their otherwise intentions for the game.

IV. It will remain useful, I agree with you. Although, its usefulness is like looking through a blurred image; the more its demand increases, the more it seems the 'usefulness' increases. Releasing remakes, releasing pokemon, etc. would then appeal strongly to more players of the game and as the vastness of the pokemon they can obtain presently within the 3DS games increases, so would the desire to carry these pokemon over. This will accomplish its intended goal, reconnecting the past games to the future in bringing over other pokemon. It may seem off-topic at first glance, but I'm trying to iterate by bringing over remakes they bring over pokemon who players can get attached to and want to bring-over again, such would be the case with Emerald: People want to import pokemon from emerald, people want to export pokemon to Emerald. As they release new pokemon (maybe pokemon featured in Emerald to perform a new way of accessibility rather than 'remakes' as you suggested) people would want to carry those pokemon over and it remains a part of the motive that I perceive to make these remakes, third versions, and appeal to the nostalgia of the fan-base while also bridging together the new component of pokemon, mega evolution.

V. I remark upon the motives, Mitja, for a third version which would be 'Emerald'. I believe that Gamefreak may make a third version which will appeal to 'nostalgia', which are essentially remakes' primary component. GF goes make nostalgia-fresh games, but it also appeals to nostalgia from time to time, in a new pokemon era where people are unsure of the direction pokemon is going; it may be reasonable to make remakes, third versions, etc to bridge the gap between those people while also adding a new adventure into play.

VI. I think I answered your question with my above reason. :D

VII. Not quite, but I'm sorry if I was a little misleading. I'm implying that they will remakes and main-series games together, and once they have finished making remakes they could simply add a 'third version' like Emerald to continue where ORAS left off and versions who act similar in that regard.

VIII. It will be useful, sure, but I addressed this point earlier and that just because something is useful doesn't mean it's an automatic buy for many. By illustrating its usefulness over the course of more games, which means more pokemon to transfer over, exporting to and importing from Emerald, etc. The demand will increase and therefore more people will want to buy rather than go region to region fresh while leaving their old potential pokemon behind.
It's, simply put, a motive for making remakes which extends to the third version.

IX. That point proceeds to prove my point about these remakes, in the future generations the possibility for more remakes arises along with main-series games which are a staple of pokemon and I don't think would vanish from the scene but rather be made while remakes are also being made. "In that dream of generations, what games may come? Thus, speculation makes over-thinkers of us all."
To expand on the "not-relevant" responses, I took turns listing reasons to bring about remakes and third-versions while also listing motives to assure you that (At least how I perceive it), it is still in GameFreak's interest to make a Third Version but it may not come hastily but rather over-time. The motives still remain, the possibilities for it remain, and how I believe they're trying to accomplish it: The very premise of this thread is that Emerald is in a dilemma, and I sought to list the motives for which will inspire the means to make the ends (Delta Emerald) rather than do away with the whole third version in general, I read a little uncertainty of Emerald and thought I would include them anyway to address the points in the thread entirely, not aimed at one person in particular but multiple which could stand to be how you got confused.

@Mitja: Well, I wouldn't mind that for Giratina... I've always prefered Origin Forme anyway... And yeah, I also expect them to do something with Arceus... I mean, they came up with Mewtwo's Megas, now Primals and Mega Rayquaza. If they do the same for the Creation trio, it would be kinda stupid to leave Arceus (the "almighty") weaker than its "sons" and the other legendaries... Plus, the power creep is inevitable...

EDIT:
Uhh, maybe like WPM theorized, Delta Emerald will be nothing more than a TCG set focusing on Mega Rayquaza... (or simply nothing, but other than that)...

Metalizard said:
@Mitja: Well, I wouldn't mind that for Giratina... I've always prefered Origin Forme anyway... And yeah, I also expect them to do something with Arceus... I mean, they came up with Mewtwo's Megas, now Primals and Mega Rayquaza. If they do the same for the Creation trio, it would be kinda stupid to leave Arceus (the "almighty") weaker than its "sons" and the other legendaries... Plus, the power creep is inevitable...

The thing with platinum is looker and cynthia appear in bw confirming platnuim as the canon and looker appears even again in x/y which leads me to believe that even gamefreak prefers platinum over d/p so maybe they'll go with platnuims story line.

Fairy Type Arceus said:
The thing with platinum is looker and cynthia appear in bw confirming platnuim as the canon and looker appears even again in x/y which leads me to believe that even gamefreak prefers platinum over d/p so maybe they'll go with platnuims story line.

Right. But Steven showed up in HGSS, even though his story is gonna get retold, what canon is he from then? LOL.... or rather, yeah obviously that's a minor thing they'd import form Platinum either way.

But..perhaps they'd really rather do DP2 instead of DPt remakes when the time comes (I've been hoping with that for RS remakes already though <_______<).
I mean, I would prefer it and it would be quite an exciting option. DP introduced the dimension legends, but apart from Giratinas Torn world adventure, I don't feel at all like they've even touched upon what their capabilities and origins are.
With Groudon and Kyogre they're digging further into their pasts in the remakes, but Dialga and Palkia...to be honest I don't feel like we've even seen in what ways they can control space and time.
Sure Cyrus was talking mumbo jumbo and there was a spacey visual display in the sky...but they were stopped before they actually did anything o_O
Where is the side quest of Dialga showing in what manner it can manipulate time or Palkia warping space around?
I wanted to see them in action and didn't feel like DP did the ideas behind them justice, and I fear neither will plain boring copy/paste DP remakes. Sinnoh needs a serious sequel with consequences, not just a polished retelling....

Fancy said:
Actually, I was saying that the remakes could be made using less time and development than normal main-series games and in that they could produce more in a short-span of time while making main-series games as an important part doesn't really exist in the remakes: Developing the Vast Pokemon featured in the region. They would only have to convert a past-game into a 3D World, Add some Megas, a Story, and a few finishing details (Sure this is embellished, but the point that it is less time-consuming by a noticeable margin remains nonetheless, evidence of this is that the release date is coming rather soon after a pokemon game had been released just the prior year.)

That's not as quick and easy as you make it sound. They can't just copy/paste the original games onto to the 6th gen engine and call it a day, they basically have to recreate the game from scratch. So it's really not that short a development process.

Metalizard said:
Uhh, maybe like WPM theorized, Delta Emerald will be nothing more than a TCG set focusing on Mega Rayquaza... (or simply nothing, but other than that)...

They're not even using ORAS for the TCG, let alone Delta Emerald. It seems more like they're doing it so fan games don't use the name, I don't think it'll actually be used for anything.

Mitja said:
Right. But Steven showed up in HGSS, even though his story is gonna get retold, what canon is he from then? LOL.... or rather, yeah obviously that's a minor thing they'd import form Platinum either way.

But..perhaps they'd really rather do DP2 instead of DPt remakes when the time comes (I've been hoping with that for RS remakes already though <_______<).
I mean, I would prefer it and it would be quite an exciting option. DP introduced the dimension legends, but apart from Giratinas Torn world adventure, I don't feel at all like they've even touched upon what their capabilities and origins are.
With Groudon and Kyogre they're digging further into their pasts in the remakes, but Dialga and Palkia...to be honest I don't feel like we've even seen in what ways they can control space and time.
Sure Cyrus was talking mumbo jumbo and there was a spacey visual display in the sky...but they were stopped before they actually did anything o_O
Where is the side quest of Dialga showing in what manner it can manipulate time or Palkia warping space around?
I wanted to see them in action and didn't feel like DP did the ideas behind them justice, and I fear neither will plain boring copy/paste DP remakes. Sinnoh needs a serious sequel with consequences, not just a polished retelling....

This is a good point, but I don't see how a sequel is necessary. They can easily just edit the dialogue and change what happens on Spear Pillar for that.

Bolt the Cat said:
Fancy said:
Actually, I was saying that the remakes could be made using less time and development than normal main-series games and in that they could produce more in a short-span of time while making main-series games as an important part doesn't really exist in the remakes: Developing the Vast Pokemon featured in the region. They would only have to convert a past-game into a 3D World, Add some Megas, a Story, and a few finishing details (Sure this is embellished, but the point that it is less time-consuming by a noticeable margin remains nonetheless, evidence of this is that the release date is coming rather soon after a pokemon game had been released just the prior year.)

That's not as quick and easy as you make it sound. They can't just copy/paste the original games onto to the 6th gen engine and call it a day, they basically have to recreate the game from scratch. So it's really not that short a development process.
Excellent Observation! It wouldn't be 'quick' nor 'easy', I only said that it would take a noticably less amount of time than creating a new main-series title. I also noted that my explanation was embellished within the post, because it does sound quick and easy but I too know things are easier said than done. So, it's rather not easy or quick in terms of actual standards of length, but in comparison with main-series titles the time spent working on the games decrease which in turn allow for remakes to be pushed out quicker than these new main-series titles.

To say that they take less time making the Main-Series titles would undermine the development of the region, the vast pokemon in each, the story, and the overall time spent making the gameplay. They don't 'recreate' the game, but rather 'create the game from scratch' with the new main-titles, design, and even more things they do to appeal to the players like Join Avenue, or recently, Anistar's Sundial and finding Mega Stones at night, Wonder Trade, etc.

Fancy said:
Bolt the Cat said:
Excellent Observation! It wouldn't be 'quick' nor 'easy', I only said that it would take a noticably less amount of time than creating a new main-series title. I also noted that my explanation was embellished within the post, because it does sound quick and easy but I too know things are easier said than done. So, it's rather not easy or quick in terms of actual standards of length, but in comparison with main-series titles the time spent working on the games decrease which in turn allow for remakes to be pushed out quicker than these new main-series titles.

To say that they take less time making the Main-Series titles would undermine the development of the region, the vast pokemon in each, the story, and the overall time spent making the gameplay. They don't 'recreate' the game, but rather 'create the game from scratch' with the new main-titles, design, and even more things they do to appeal to the players like Join Avenue, or recently, Anistar's Sundial and finding Mega Stones at night, Wonder Trade, etc.

It's not noticeably less though, because most of the work in creating a game comes from the actual construction/coding of the game and testing/debugging. Remakes just cut down on the amount of planning that they'd be doing. Sure, remakes take less time to make, but not to the point where they can just pump out 3 or 4 remakes in the next year or two.

Bolt the Cat said:
It's not noticeably less though, because most of the work in creating a game comes from the actual construction/coding of the game and testing/debugging. Remakes just cut down on the amount of planning that they'd be doing. Sure, remakes take less time to make, but not to the point where they can just pump out 3 or 4 remakes in the next year or two.

I understood from what Fancy was saying, that the they have slightly more time to work on things like secret bases and contests in the game, not that they have more time to make and pump out multiple games.

Personally, I think what really happens is that they get to shorten two stages of the development. They don't have to sit down with a team of writers and design a plot, characters, dialogue ... Etc. They already have one for characters and have their back stories. For this stage of game production, they can do much less writing, focusing on aditonal cut scenes and minor tweaks to update plots and some NPC talk. They already have the characters, the over all plot, even their dialogue. They'd still take time for writing, but much less, and the time taken would be focused mainly into new/improved story content.

The other thing that would be shortened is some of the mechanic stuff. They have the battle engine from X/Y. They aren't making new models for the attacking Pokemon, the have Amie already finished... A lot of that is just copy pasting and minor tweaking. Not completely rewriting from scratch. They do have to build the world of Hoenn, but they don't have to build the engine its running on. I imagine they use some of that time/brain power/money on rewriting new mechanics they don't have an engine for, like contests and secret bases.

Back