PTCGO New features?

Brian gomez

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
What are some features you wish that you wish ptcgo featured that they used to or haven't done before? Example: buying a digital booster box for a set amount of coins.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Desired Feature:

1) Fix glitches. I was tempted to name this one multiple times as a running gag but it would be kidding on the square.
2) Find a way to streamline interface for those who don't need all the bells and whistles. Faster play, lower system requirements.
3) For casual play (so it doesn't affect the Ladder) bring in the pseudo-official formats of 30-Card, 2-0n-2, and Team Battle.
4) Adding in older sets in reverse order while for casual play creating an option that lets you select past Standard Formats.

Additional Commentary: Do IRL boxes in English come with a box topper? Other than a good seller offering a discount for buying in bulk, if there isn't a "box promo" or the like, what is the point of buying by the box? When you buy a booster with Tokens you can select the amount, so you can just set it to 36 (or whatever the current box size is) and go from there. ;)

Rusery

Ethical Vegan Pokemaster
1) I really want to see more game boards.
2) More avatar choices that arent so... juvenile?
3) More sleeve/deck box rewards, coins, etc.
4) Overall interface looks a little cheap, doesn't look particularly nice in 4k. However, the cards look spectacular, and super glad they're very highly detailed and look snazzy in 4k to boot.

jlacombe

Aspiring Trainer
This may be a bit of a stretch, but I just want larger than 8 person tournaments. I know sometimes even the 8 person tournaments take awhile to fill up, but I just like the idea of having a larger tournament .

Otaku

The wise fool?
Oh, some people are reminding me that there are quite a few plausible suggestions out there, but let me remove one that is a pipe dream not because of the technical requirements, but because it has been suggested multiple times but never implemented:

Something worthwhile to do with our excess trade-locked cards. I've seen two major suggestions that seem plausible:

1. Allow them to be "gifted" to other players (a one-sided trade?).
  2. Allow them to be turned in for Chest/Packs/Random Card/Tokens/etc.
There'd have to be a minimum quantity left in reserve - probably four - to avoid newbies accidentally (or purposely) wrecking Theme Decks in the hope of something better. The "gifting" idea seems minimally plausible... after all, players could turn gifts into actual trades unless it was a random gifting, and if it was random, how do we know you're not just sending it to someone else with 20 spare copies? XP Cashing it in for currency is a bit like Hearthstone, but avoids the complications of their crafting system (FYI, if I have to choose between trade or craft, I pick "trade"). This is more like various video game TCG's from years, even decades past.

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
I would love to see a PvP "proxy mode" where people could build decks using cards they don't own and then battle against other players, which awards no coins, tickets, etc. and exists mainly to let people test potential deck ideas before they sink the time and resources into getting those cards.

I also want a complete overhaul of the game's art style. Seriously, I think it's garish.

And I personally think a fully fleshed-out story mode would be a fun idea.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
I would love to see a PvP "proxy mode" where people could build decks using cards they don't own and then battle against other players, which awards no coins, tickets, etc. and exists mainly to let people test potential deck ideas before they sink the time and resources into getting those cards.
There would be no point in playing any other mode though. All those rewards of coins and tickets are just for getting said cards in order to play with them. If you just make a mode that lets you play with all the cards, then those coins and tickets are moot anyway

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
There would be no point in playing any other mode though. All those rewards of coins and tickets are just for getting said cards in order to play with them. If you just make a mode that lets you play with all the cards, then those coins and tickets are moot anyway
Just make it so that you could only battle friends this way. It’s tedius to invest in a card only to find out it sucks

aPOLLo

Deck Build Help
I want a testing realm. Where you can use any cards you want and make a deck, because then you don't have to go and buy or trade the cards.

Or maybe a Beta Realm where you can use cards that aren't coming out yet.

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer

I also want a complete overhaul of the game's art style. Seriously, I think it's garish.

And I personally think a fully fleshed-out story mode would be a fun idea.
I'd agree, but I don't think they would actually do it playing against other players specifically. I'd say you'd be allowed to test your deck but only against an AI or something. Eitherway, I too would like the ability to test a deck (even if there is only an AI to play against / no existing opponent) for the same reasons you have stated.

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
I'd agree, but I don't think they would actually do it playing against other players specifically. I'd say you'd be allowed to test your deck but only against an AI or something. Eitherway, I too would like the ability to test a deck (even if there is only an AI to play against / no existing opponent) for the same reasons you have stated.

I think the main problem with AI practice is the same as just about every other massively multiplayer game out there: even the best bots can't perfectly mirror an evolving metagame that mostly uses rare cards. Even the lowest-tier competitive decks can more than likely smash anything a beginner or bot without a lot of deckbuilding experience can come up with, and certainly most theme decks as-is don't stand a chance. Of course, even that is preferable to having no way to practice whatsoever.

I also think the PTCGO should have some way of letting players earn Play! Pokémon points, such as occasional global tournaments where the top finishers get points, set up in a way similar to the ranking system for Battle Spot/Pokémon Global Link International Challenge events for the video games. Obviously, they wouldn't award as much and/or to as many as an incentive to get more players to go to physical events, but it would still make sense since most people who play one also play the other.

card_collective

Aspiring Trainer
Wouldn't it be nice to have PTCGO available on Android phones/iPhones, not just iPads. That way you can play on the go. Also, it would also be nice if PTCGO enables a feature just like rating battles, where people would play to be on the top of the rankings, and to have products available like 3 pack blisters, booster boxes minus the promos?

TrustYourPilot

Aspiring Trainer
Logistics aside, a pre-release tournament for each new set would be awesome. Other than that, I think a non-GX/EX Standard format would help newer players and give veterans a chance to try out new combos.

Otaku

The wise fool?
I don't want to scare people out of participating, but when I see something that the data not only doesn't support but strongly contradicts:

I think a non-GX/EX Standard format would help newer players and give veterans a chance to try out new combos.

Or allow veterans to violently dominate newbies who don't realize how many potent cards are not Pokémon-GX/Pokémon-EX. In fact, I'm fairly certain that is how it would go. There's a myth among newbie and players that should just know better that Pokémon-EX/GX are inherently broken and/or really expensive and hard to get. While that describes some of them, plenty are affordable (considering they are their own rarity that is less than one per pack) and unfortunately, plenty are poor to outright bad cards.

Just like with everything else.

Some Commons are great some are pure filler.
Some Uncommons are great and some are pure filler.
Some Rare cards are great and some are pure filler.
Some Holographic Rare cards are great and some are pure filler.
Some Stage 2 Pokémon are great and some are pure filler.
Some Stage 1 Pokémon are great and some are pure filler.

Etc.

Evolving Pokémon almost all get the short end of the stick, and "weird" mechanics like Restored Pokémon and BREAK Evolutions are more miss than hit, but even they have some champs, like the banned Archeops (NVI, DEX) and Greninja BREAK. The latter, for the record, strikes me as a good candidate for being broken in a format without Pokémon-EX/GX to rival it... unless [G] Types are quite good.

Sorry, there's no real solution to things like this except, perhaps, better tools in the trade area so that you have to just be lazy or impatient or whatever to make bad trades. Oh, those actually would be nice. I mean, so many users don't even know about the official PTCGO forums, let alone the "In-Game Item Exchange" subforum that can facilitate better trades!

Red text is something I edited in after realizing it sounded kind of harsh with the original.

Last edited:

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
Make better the trade searcher, even when you put an specific card, it shows you a lot of trades that not always fit with what you are searching for

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
No joke, the new feature I want the most: It to remember what display method you used for your collection. I NEVER want to see that useless carousel view again.

Other things:

Make it easier to see which Theme Decks you've unlocked. (Including making all the names and order consistent, same goes, to a lesser degree, for packs.)

The ability to categorize decks. The deck interface is kinda a mess. I hate that decks you don't own all of the cards for get lost among Theme Decks and such, it makes using PTCGO as a deck planning tool much more annoying than it needs to be. And more than that, you should be able to, say, have a section for competitive decks, casual decks, gimmick challenge farming decks, etc. Having them all in the one area sucks.

The ability to filter out duplicate cards in the deck builder. A lot of times, I don't care which version of a card I'm using, and I'd rather not have to scroll through literally 12 versions of Great Ball, especially when I'm just scrolling through looking for things I might not have thought of.

Make the list of active trades less annoying. It constantly updating mid-scroll can cause a lot of misclicks and frustration, and the amount of time a trade you just completed lingers is also annoying. There has to be a better way, even if it's just a longer load time while it performs the search. (I feel like it's poorly optimized in general, and could probably do with a full overhaul realistically.)

Maybe also make it easier to search for a very specific item. Maybe an interface you can just pick a card/deck/collection item/whatever (similar to the collection). It's sometimes hard to find something specific with a super-generic name or a certain version of a Pokemon. (Actually, looking at the trade, I guess there's an option for the collection number. I didn't remember that being a thing.)

Kashvinder Mann

Aspiring Trainer
Would love to see more tournaments, perhaps a 16-person event or perhaps a round robin tournament so everyone gets a chance to play 3 matches or so. Not sure how it'll be done but would be nice to see that happen.

pikachuuuu101

Custom Title
I would like to see some sort of buff for free to play players, such as a tournament buff, or more free login bonuses. I wish the game fit on older iPads, becuase currently it is 3 Giga bytes (I think, even without a lot of card images downloaded), and that’s insane. I would also like there to be some sort of cards to coins aspect, where you can recycle cards (including locked ones) and get coins to buy theme decks. You could not drop below 4 of each card whith this feature.

PrimePokeDaddy

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I have to give credit to @Plaquesanta for reminding me of this on the July Tournament forum. But, I would like a way to review the games visually without having to video. I don't have a gaming computer and play mostly on an iPad so videoing the games at all times is not reasonable. And even if I did, it would take up a ton of space, plus I don't want to have to scan through the video to find the right spots.

I would really like the ability to download a game log, save it locally, and then have some kind of visual "game log player" to replay it on PTCGO. You would be able to choose a game log file, load it on PTCGO and have it replayed without the full effects (or with, if that is easier to code) so that I can click through each action forward and backward and see the game state visually rather than having to read through the log. This would be really helpful for me to keep track of and correct my mistakes, or to show my kids the game at a certain point and ask them what options they have and which they would choose and why. It could almost be like end-game practice in chess. Show a game-state where someone eventually won on that turn, and ask what you would do to try to win. Then click forward to play it out, and see what happened.