Pokemon Neko's RealDex (PGO! Alternative)

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
I don't play PGO, but I enjoy taking pictures of interesting insects, plants, etc. and sometimes stumble across things that have (or may have) inspired Pokémon. Here are some "Pokémon" I've caught (on film) IRL—feel free to share some of your own!

(Some of these may not be species-specific, but I feel that they would still translate into these Pokémon.)

GEN. 1–3
bulbasaur.png
ivysaur.png

W1LlXdl.jpg

Bulbasaur and Ivysaur were confirmed in an interview to be based on frogs. They may draw inspiration from tree frogs given their Grass typing.
venusaur.png

Nu0gGiV.jpg

Being stockier than Bulbasaur and having obvious warts, Venusaur is most likely based on toads.
charmander.png

SqS8sLd.jpg

Charmander's English name suggests that it may be based on salamanders, which are associated with the element of fire in Japanese mythology.
caterpie.png

BQSsGsS.jpg

Caterpie is based on swallowtail butterfly caterpillars. Some species (including this one) extend a foul-smelling Y-shaped defensive organ from above their head when threatened.
weedle.png

DJBucly.jpg

tBfI3wi.jpg

Weedle represents the larval stage of a wasp. It also has characteristics of stinging caterpillars, called "kemushi" in Japan (which is also Weedle's Japanese category).
kakuna.png

ztK24qo.jpg

While it may represent wasp or bee pupae in general, Kakuna's characteristic of dangling from a silk thread (as seen in the anime and some side games) seems to have been inspired by hanging parasitoid wasp cocoons.
beedrill.png

eM2X93j.jpg

While based on an Asian giant hornet, Beedrill's green and blue Shiny palette may draw inspiration from cuckoo wasps.
pidgey.png

qN7RGTP.jpg

Though it could be based on a variety of small birds, Pidgey bears a striking resemblance to the Carolina wren.
pikachu.png

0NU0KBX.jpg

Pikachu was confirmed to draw inspiration from squirrels, particularly its tail and cheek pouches. Since tree squirrels don't have cheek pouches, Pikachu may draw inspiration from chipmunks (aka "striped squirrels" in Japan) or similar-looking ground squirrels. The upright position of its tail while running is more consistent with chipmunks than tree or ground squirrels.
paras.png
parasect.png

030UAqx.jpg

ElB72i7.jpg

Paras and Parasect are based on insects that have fallen victim to a parasitoid fungus.

The base insect appears to be a cicada nymph (see Nincada), but Parasect also bears an uncanny resemblance to red velvet mites, which themselves are parasites.
venonat.png

oGuJDlH.jpg

Despite its name, Venonat seems to be based (at least partially) on hairy, venomous caterpillars. Megalopyge-genus caterpillars are particularly round, so it may draw inspiration from those.
venomoth.png

YewHplc.jpg

nwjBzWS.jpg

Venomoth seems to combine the idea of toxic moths (tiger moths) with the appearance of toxic swallowtail butterflies, such as the Pipevine Swallowtail (which may explain its Shiny colors).

(NOTE: This is a Spicebush Swallowtail, a mimic of the toxic Pipevine Swallowtail. However, according to author Phillip J. Schappert, there's indication that even this species may be distasteful.)
meowth.png
persian.png

9SYOyrt.jpg

Meowth and Persian draw inspiration from Siamese cats.

While only Meowth has the col0r-tipped feet and tail characteristic of Siamese cats, Persian is classified as a Siamese Cat (Shamuneko) Pokémon in the Japanese games.
poliwhirl.png

iBslqCF.jpg

Poliwhirl may be based on metamorph froglets (tadpoles with all four legs), despite lacking a tail. Poliwag would represent the tadpole with hindlegs, Poliwrath a froglet, and Politoed an adult frog.
koffing.png

m7EiFRM.jpg

Though I'm not sure if it draws inspiration from them, Koffing (and Weezing) share some similarities with false puffball slime molds.
tangela.png

UAvHwo9.jpg

Tangela is based on tangled vines, possibly leafless, parasitic vines such as the dodder (aka hairweed and witch's hair).
scyther-f.png

jlQ0mrp.jpg

Scyther is based on the Japanese Giant Mantis. While these don't occur in the US, the Chinese Mantis (North America's largest mantid) belongs to the same genus and was once considered part of the same species.
pinsir.png

Vik263t.jpg

Pinsir is based on stag beetles.
omanyte.png

XSB5VOV.jpg

The Helix Fossil (Omanyte) is based on ammonoid, ancient spiral-shelled squid, fossils.
spinarak.png

AOpwBMS.jpg

Spinarak is based on spiders with face-like abdominal markings. Its build resembles that of a jumping spider.
ariados.png

fhd9yAa.jpg

Ariados appears to draw inspiration from various spiders, especially orb-weavers.
hoppip.png
skiploom.png
jumpluff.png

gSRL48m.jpg

8oDhJVn.jpg

guyxxtu.jpg

This family is based on the life cycle of a dandelion.
yanma.png

E8jKT7O.jpg

While based on the Banded Darter dragonfly, Yanma's Shiny palette may draw inspiration from the Blue Dasher (or blue dragonflies in general).
umbreon.png

AUyBSYT.jpg

Umbreon seems to be based on black cats. Several TCG cards suggest that Umbreon is more cat-like than other speculated origins (such as foxes and rabbits).
murkrow.png

n7AJcYJ.jpg

Murkrow is based on crows.
pineco.png

43zrTmN.jpg

Pineco is based on bagworms whose cases superficially resemble pine cones, such as the Evergreen Bagworm. It also has characteristics of grenades or caltrops, perhaps referencing this species' destructive habits.
forretress.png

Tx95S4p.jpg

Though it more closely resembles a giant clam, Forretress may also draw inspiration from worms residing in walnut husks/shells.
dunsparce.png

YAyil7K.jpg

cv9O58D.jpg

Dunsparce is based on the snake-like Tsuchinoko cryptid of Japan. While this creature has yet to be proven to exist, hornworms are sometimes mistaken for it.

The hoop snake is essentially America's version of the Tsuchinoko. Long rumored to give chase to humans, some believe that racers (along with other colubrids) may have inspired tales of this cryptid. (Hoop snake is one of the black racer's common names.)
gligar-f.png

5hVw09N.jpg

Gligar's design seems to be a pun on "scorpionfly."
heracross-mega.png

86NMTbE.jpg

Mega Heracross is based on Hercules Beetles.
beautifly-f.png

e4K6wQy.jpg

Beautifly is based on swallowtail butterflies.
dustox-f.png

FHMkb1K.jpg

Dustox is based on the Japanese Moon Moth, a close relative and lookalike of the American Luna Moth.
seedot.png

QCTnANK.jpg

Seedot is based on acorns.
surskit.png

QuDhZ4k.jpg

Surskit is based on water striders.
masquerain.png

GS0xNJZ.jpg

BySJTsq.jpg

Masquerain seems to combine aspects of damselflies and moths with eyespots.
nincada.png
ninjask.png
shedinja.png

oeMz67N.jpg

d7OaWh3.jpg
ODkOikc.jpg

This family is based on the life cycle of a cicada—nymph, adult, and shed skin.
trapinch.png

LwJThcP.jpg

Trapinch is based on the larval stage of an antlion.
vibrava.png

ZcEplaD.jpg

While representative of an adult antlion, Vibrava appears to draw more visual inspiration from mayflies. This may be a reference to the Japanese word for an adult antlion translating "thin-winged mayfly."
flygon.png

efhdN2r.jpg

c3johpO.jpg

Flygon represents the adult stage of an antlion. Its design and association with sandstorms may be a pun on "sanddragon" dragonflies.
corphish.png
crawdaunt.png

a3qbrtX.jpg

Corphish and Crawdaunt are based on crayfish.
lileep.png

UF3nBez.jpg

The Root Fossil (Lileep) is based on crinoid—or "sea lily"—fossils.

(NOTE: This isn't a whole specimen, just the stalk.)

Last edited:

ninetales1234

Biscuit Taste-Tester
Lilligant is on-point with the colors! Wonder what the creator of this Pokémon was thinking about?

Catch a real-life Vileplume and that will be really impressive!

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
GEN. 4–8
turtwig.png

HEcUwF1.jpg

Turtwig may be based on land turtles (aka box turtles).
starly-f.png

7UyjEj0.jpg

Starly is based on fledgling starlings.
kricketot.png

T6Af98u.jpg

Kricketot is based on crickets.
burmy-plant.png

lBr7DK1.jpg

Burmy is based on bagworms.
mothim.png

kj0tiVV.jpg

7eqWjM0.jpg

WtEJElI.jpg

9fSkLkV.jpg

Mothim represents the adult stage of a bagworm, such as the Evergreen Bagworm Moth (first photo), which only emerge from their bags if male. However, its behavior and appearance draw more inspiration from hawk moths—especially Death's Head Hawkmoths.

While these honey-thieving moths don't occur in the US, we do have species from the same tribe (such as the Laurel Sphinx pictured in the second photo). Mothim's split wingtips suggest that it may draw inspiration from the irregular outer margin of some species outside this tribe (such as the Small-Eyed Sphinx in the third photo), so Mothim could be interpreted as a general representation of Sphingidae.

Mothim may also draw some inspiration from Crambidae, a family of moths known for their nose-like mouthparts.
combee.png

NKu24iq.jpg

Combee is based on honey bees.
yanmega.png

jO3zI8A.jpg

Yanmega is based on the Darner family of dragonflies (though it may also draw inspiration from ancient griffinflies).
leafeon.png

8VT746V.jpg

Leafeon, like Persian, shares similarities with Siamese cats. In particular, it may be based on sub-breeds/mixes with plumed tails, such as the Balinese.

(Family pet)
purrloin.png

bCjhxwT.jpg

Purrloin appears to be based on bicolor (tuxedo) cats. Its "eyebrows" suggest that it may be based on tuxedo tabbies.

(Family pet)
pidove.png

KPLSXV3.jpg

Pidove is based primarily on pigeons.
sewaddle.png

mdbC9zZ.jpg

Sewaddle is believed to draw visual inspiration from Silver-Spotted Skipper caterpillars.
whirlipede.png

c5CJZG4.jpg

Whirlipede is based on the defensive or resting position of a millipede.
lilligant.png

9EufSr6.jpg

Lilligant is based on lilies. Since it evolves via Sun Stone, it may be based on daylilies.
minccino.png

MNdoyH3.jpg

Minccino is based on chinchillas.

(Family pet)
vanillite.png
vanillish.png
vanilluxe.png

PdzACaq.jpg

This family is based on snow and icicles, but stylized to resemble ice cream.
sawsbuck.png

Dcjjnav.jpg

Sawsbuck is based on deer.
joltik.png

DCIumvY.jpg

FITvks9.jpg

Joltik's behavior is based on a tick. However, its appearance seems to draw more inspiration from jumping spiders.
ferroseed.png

Yiv7qmd.jpg

Ferroseed seems to be based on cockelburs.
mandibuzz.png

YZAXou1.jpg

Mandibuzz is based on vultures.
volcarona.png

dCY7GMJ.jpg

Shiny Volcarona's spotted yellow wings bring to mind Imperial Moths, a type of giant silkmoth.
noibat.png

UnIBHah.jpg

Noibat is based on vesper bats.
roz2cLw.png

rtjFAqO.jpg

Zygarde cells are believed to be based on planarians, flatworms with amazing regenerative abilities.

litten.png
torracat.png

hj4e3mv.jpg

oLPmOHe.jpg

Litten and Torracat are based on tabby cats (though the latter may also draw inspiration from tigers).

pikipek.png

jPWx0E8.jpg

Pikipek is based on woodpeckers. (If the rumor about "regional evolutions" is true, I imagine that Pikipek would take a different path.)

cutiefly.png
ribombee.png

dENf536.jpg

Cutiefly and Ribimbee are based on bee flies. Ribombee may be based specifically on the Greater Bee Fly, being larger in size and having a dark patch (its scarf).

rockruff.png

SLhp5hO.jpg

UptjJ5x.jpg

Rockruff is based on Spitz breeds.

(Family pet)

morelull.png

kaLQqIK.jpg

r5J79z6.jpg

Though its English name is derived from a different genus, Morelull seems to draw more inspiration from "bonnet" mushrooms (Mycena), some of which display bioluminescence.
825.png

mU8KFEW.jpg

Dottler seems to be based on a ladybird beetle pupa.
834.png

Ld4t5FD.jpg

Drednaw is based on snapping turtles.
851.png

TSx1qSM.jpg

Centiskorch seems to be a visual pun on "fire centipede."
837.png

DIbiXTR.jpg

Rolycoly is based on coal.
873.png

Xt1D1zS.jpg

While it appears to draw more inspiration from the Indian Moon Moth (not pictured), Frosmoth's Chinese names suggest that may also draw inspiration from flannel moths.

Lilligant is on-point with the colors! Wonder what the creator of this Pokémon was thinking about?

Catch a real-life Vileplume and that will be really impressive!
No corpse flowers around here, sadly, but maybe I'll try finding one if I ever decide to travel. Not too many "Grass Pokémon" around here besides Hoppip and family (dandelions).

Last edited:

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
It's pretty cool how Pokémon was originally based on bug collecting, and here you are "collecting" these real-life Pokémon!

Were all these photos taken by you, or are you using photos taken by others as well?

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
It's pretty cool how Pokémon was originally based on bug collecting, and here you are "collecting" these real-life Pokémon!

Were all these photos taken by you, or are you using photos taken by others as well?
Yep! I'm not sure if it was Pokémon that sparked my general interest in insects, but I do blame Pokémon for my interest in moths at least. I've been into them ever since I found a Rosy Maple Moth that reminded me of my favorite Pokémon, Shiny Dunsparce.

These are all my photos. :)

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Added Jumpluff and Pidove. Not super interesting origins, but I figured I'd take pics anyway for the sake of the RealDex.

Also, though I've been waiting for a bagworm moth to add Mothim to the list, it turns out that Mothim may be more closely-related to hawk moths (despite evolving from a bagworm). More specifically, it seems draw inspiration from Death's-Head Hawkmoths, as both have an orange-banded abdomen, a light marking on their thorax, and a tendency to steal honey from beehives as opposed to finding their own nectar.

This isn't to say that Mothim's design doesn't draw from bagworm moths at all. The feather-like shape of its antennae and its "tail" may come from bagworm moths.

There aren't any Death's-Head Hawkmoths here in the US, but we do have some species belonging to the same tribe (Sphingini). Of these, I've gotten photos of the Southern Pine Sphinx, Five-Spotted Hawkmoth, and Laurel Sphinx, but I'm not sure if any of these would really translate into Mothim. (Then again, I did use a box turtle for Squirtle...)

I'm also reluctant to add Oddish. We've not got any true mandrakes here, but we do have mayapples (aka American mandrakes). These, however, look nothing like Oddish. They're a bit more reminiscent of Bellsprout (also said to be a type of mandrake), having a stem, leaves for "hands," and a yellow "head" (when ripe). If I ever find a native pitcher plant, I may combine the mayapple with Bellsprout's entry.

EDIT: Taking another look at Mothim, its split wingtips may nod to the irregular wingtips/outer margin of some other sphinx moth species (such as the Small-Eyed Sphinx). Its tail, rather than being based on the Evergreen Bagworm Moth's "tail" (genitals), may represent the tailfeather-like poof at the end of others (like hummingbird clearwings). In either case, Mothim could be interpreted as a general representation of sphinx moths, not just the Death's-Head Hawkmoth. I think I'll add it to the list after all. :)

These are really cool! I'm kinda jealous of the fact you get to encounter all of these beautiful bugs on what seems like a regular basis
Benefits of living near the woodline. :)

EDIT: Added Joltik.

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Added Scyther and Ariados. I also had to divide the list into multiple post due to image limit.

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Added Kakuna and updated Dunsparce and Mothim with additional photos.

Note: One of the black racer's common names is "Hoop Snake," though it shares this with several other species.

Last edited:

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
Updated Dunsparce and Mothim with additional photos.

Note: One of the black racer's common names is "Hoop Snake," though it shares this with several other species.
I always thought the hoop snake was an Australian thing, like the drop bear, the yowie or the magpie.

They bite their tail and roll around the bush like a wheel (hence, "hoop snake") until they come upon a confused human to eat...

Spoopy :O

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
I always thought the hoop snake was an Australian thing, like the drop bear, the yowie or the magpie.

They bite their tail and roll around the bush like a wheel (hence, "hoop snake") until they come upon a confused human to eat...

Spoopy :O
The US, Canada, and Australia all have their own take on the hoop snake. I've never heard about them eating humans, just rolling after and killing them with their scorpion-like stinger. Granted, I haven't really looked into the Australian legends.

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
I found a Trapinch!

LwJThcP.jpg

Antlion larvae, also called doodlebugs, lie in wait at the bottom of loose sand pits. When prey, such as an ant, wonders too close to the edge of the pit, it tumbles downward, unable to regain its footing, into the jaws of this voracious predator. Adults somewhat resemble dragonflies.

I also added Yanmega, Combee, Ferroseed, Litten/Torracat, Skiploom, and Seedot.

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
The strange creature was sucked into the Zygarde Cube!

rtjFAqO.jpg

Planarians, flatworms with amazing regenerative abilities, are likely the inspiration behind Zygarde cells. Look at that derpy face!

I also added Scolipede, Whirlipede, and Lileep (Root Fossil) and updated Corphish/Crawdaunt's pic.

I actually found the "Root Fossil" a few years ago, but I was reluctant to add it since the fossil was missing the iconic crown (head). However, given that Mewtwo was created from a fossilized eyebrow and Aerodactyl from a preserved blood sample, I imagine that even just the stalk of a crinoid could be revived as Lileep.

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Added Spinarak, Morelull, Murkrow, and Rolycoly, as well as another contender for Ariados, a tick (yuck) to Joltik's entry, and a kitten to better represent Litten. I also swapped Spearow for Pidgey, realizing that Pidgey has more in common with sparrows than the Pokémon named after them.

Also, though I'm thinking it's supposed to be a virus pathogen as seen under a microscope, possibly mixed with a gunpowder caltrop and/or tear gas grenade, I couldn't help but think of Koffing when I saw this false puffball (a slime mold) the other day. It's round, has a lumpy texture, and spewed smoke-like spores when I poked it with a stick.

m7EiFRM.jpg

Trivia: Slime molds aren't actually molds or fungi—they're amoebae!

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
  • Now including family pets, not just wild/feral animals
  • Swapped Squirtle's entry for Turtwig based on the the species’ terrestrial habits
  • Replaced Pidgey’s entry with a more likely candidate
  • Added Meowth/Persian, Forretress, Kricketot, Leafeon, Purrloin, Minccino, the Vanillite line, Sawsbuck, Mandibuzz, Rockruff, Dottler, Drednaw, and Frosmoth
  • Swapped Scolipede’s entry for Centiskorch

Last edited: