TCG Fakes Neko's Fake Creations: Cards, Screencaps, and More!

Discussion in 'Creative Works' started by Nekoban Ryo, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

Remake of an oldie. I think the original may have been my very first Japanese fake.

moltres_fake_card_by_karite_kita_neko.png

I also made a Japanese version of my old Light Quagsire card:

QuagsireSML.png

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018

2. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

I wanted to use my glossy Type icons for something, so I decided to play around with another fake card back idea:

[​IMG]

The Master Ball graphic is actually an image of a foam toy by Jakks Pacific with minor edits and a glossy effect added. The layout was inspired by the white-back Vending Series cards.

Here's the high-res version if anyone wants to use it on their prints (bleed, if needed, will have to be added manually): [x]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Robin Aisaga and bbninjas like this.
  3. bbninjas Ready or Not!
    bbninjas

Advanced Member Member

This back looks great, Neko - and I reckon we could potentially end up using it for a future faking community project, maybe! You implied that you've made some fake card backs before; are they in this thread somewhere?

4. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

Am I sensing printed PokéBeach promos in the future?

I don't know if I posted my other card backs here or not, but here they are:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

bbninjas likes this.
  5. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

Watching Digimon Frontier got me wanting to play around with my custom Digimon line again. I was thinking about starting from scratch and creating a moth-themed line, but I opted instead for just swapping-out one member for a Giant Leopard Moth Digimon. I was never a big fan of Hokkyokumon's clunkyness, so it got the boot.

[​IMG]

I feel that the line suits me much better now. Cats, ice-elementals, elves, moths... I think I'd have all the bases covered if I could squeeze-in a fossil Digimon. :p

Ice Arceus likes this.
  6. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

How to duel Alex (Nekoban Ryo) in Pokémon Trading Card Game GB:

Select Card Pop! from the main menu and hold the IR port of your Game Boy Color to Nekoban Ryo's avatar. Click A when prompted. Instead of receiving a card, you'll get the message "A new opponent appeared." Go to the Science Club's lounge and you'll find a new character standing in Imakuni?'s usual spot.

Before battle, Alex will ask if it's okay if he uses "fan-made" cards in the duel. Choose yes, else he won't duel you. He uses a Water/Grass deck featuring Wartortle, Dunsparce, and Lickitung as well as his custom Fakemon, Aromoth and Kalamyte. Regardless of whether you win or not, he'll give you a copy of his Aromoth card (though you can't use it since there's no way to get its pre-evolved forms in the game) and leave. You cannot battle Alex more than once per save file.

This trick won't work if you've already completed the game nor will it work on the Virtual Console version.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    bbninjas likes this.
  7. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

Simplified Grass-Type version of my submission to this month's CAC. I think the card looks better/more believable as a Grass-Type with a single attack. The sculpted art would probably work better on a VS or regular Neo template, but I'm trying to stick with my Gym-Neo style.

[​IMG]

This card would evolve into a Colorless (Flying) type Mothim with Energy Costs that would allow it to be used in any deck. Not sure when or if I'll make it though. (I still need to make an Alex's Shining Mothim card as well.)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  8. Kangaflora Aspiring Trainer
    Kangaflora

Cool! They're looking excellent as usual. One thing I would like to see is some Pokémon with Dark in their names from the Pokémon card GB2 game and the Team Rocket set, Neo Style, like Dark Fearow, Dark Ninetales, Dark Raichu, Dark Gloom, Dark Golbat, Dark Starmie, Dark Marowak and Dark Clefable.

9. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

bbninjas and TheR3DX like this.
  10. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

What would be the proper Neo-era wording for this card's effect? (I know I could use counters to simplify the wording and keep better track of the provided Energy, but I'd rather avoid clutter on the field.)

- - -

Sacred Energy (Special Energy Card)

You can only have 1 Sacred Energy in your deck.

Attach this card to 1 of your Basic Pokémon. This card provides R Energy during the turn it is played. During your next turn, this card provides RF Energy. Continue adding 1 Energy at a time in this way until this card provides RFLGWP Energy (in that order) (this doesn’t count as your once per turn allotted Energy). All of these Energy count as Basic Energy cards (this card still counts as a Special Energy). This card, nor any of the Energy provided by it, can be moved to another Pokémon, regardless of effect. If an effect would discard any of these Energy or if the Pokémon this card is attached to evolves, discard this card.

- - -

For a while after I started playing the game, I was under the impression that Rainbow Energy and Multi Energy worked similarly to this. As none of my opponent's knew otherwise, I wrongfully won quite a few games with Ho-oh's Rainbow Burn... Oops!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  11. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

My most recent full-odds Shiny was a Swablu, now Altaria, in Ruby back in July. While I'd never been a huge fan of this dragonbird, I noticed something that made me like it a bit more. Doesn't its yellow body among the clouds remind you of the sun? That must make Shiny Altaria a "sunbird," another name for the phoenix (my favorite mythological creature)! After making this connection, I decided that I wanted to try making a card of it, though I wanted to change the color of my Shiny Altaria to make it seem a bit more phoenix-like.

[​IMG]
    Recolored Dreamworld artwork

I've still got to draw my own art sometime, but I figured I'd go ahead and start on the rest of the card. I've got some attack names that I like, but I need help figuring out decent effects for them. Neo-era wording/rulings.

• Painted Sky I'd like this attack to do damage, assuming the second doesn't, but I'd also like some kind of effect that reflects the name (such as involving different kinds of basic Energy). (I know the name doesn't sound like a damaging move, but there are other cases like this in the TCG.)
    • Sunbird Song I'd like an effect that reflects the phoenix's regenerative ability. I thought about giving this attack a high Energy Cost, no damage, and making it completely heal all of your Pokémon (like Sacred Ash in the games) while knocking out Altaria and being limited to one use per game, but I wasn't sure how balanced that was.
    *Neo-era Shining Pokémon are always Basic and require 2-3 different kinds of Energy per card.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    FourteenAlmonds likes this.
  12. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

I've still not finished any art for cards, but I commissioned a pic of my Pokémon OC and made this:

[​IMG]

Based on my "nature walks" where I scan for interesting species to photograph and fossils to collect. I would have referenced Shiny-hunting in the effect, but I wanted it to reflect more of my real-world experiences rather than my in-game experiences. (I think I could make the effect more interesting, but I didn't want it to become too wordy since I think it looks cleaner with fewer lines.)

Art by Starrii @GaiaOnline. Blank ripped by Blui and holosheet by aschefield101 respectively.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    bbninjas and Jabberwock like this.
  13. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

Badges for another imaginary fan game idea, Pokémon Coal & Sandstone:

[​IMG]

Similar to the seashell-based Orange League Badges, these are based on some of the three-dimensional Upper Carboniferous fossils I've found: the bamboo-like Calamites, the swamp-loving Cordaites (Artisia), the massive scale trees, and an ammonoid (the only one that isn't a plant). The gems inside were inspired by different colors of quartz pebbles.

Also like the Orange League, these Gyms wouldn't specialize in any particular Types.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    bbninjas likes this.
  14. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

Reboot of one of my oldies from 2011. I still really enjoy this Sun Stone graphic and how it looks like part of the crust has fallen off to expose the solar energy core.

[​IMG]

The new effect was inspired by Rare Candy. Unlike Rare Candy, Sun Stone lets you search your deck for the Evolution card, but it's limited to Grass Pokémon.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    bbninjas likes this.
  15. bbninjas Ready or Not!
    bbninjas

Advanced Member Member

That’s a nice reboot effect, Neko! I’m not sure how balanced it would be in the Classic-era, but a fitting effect nonetheless. I was wondering, how do you create art on this style? I remember that you did art like this for a King’s Rock, and both look amazing!

16. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

It's actually based on the Evolutions layout, so it would be XY/SM format. I just didn't bother recoloring anything but the border (the base was my Japanese Neo Trainer, same with the Misty Mermaid I posed before). (I know the effect doesn't cover Helioptile, but I figured that was fine since the old Japanese-exclusive Moon Stone didn't cover Nidorino/Nidorina.)

This and King's Rock were pretty different. I actually sculpted the King's Rock, while this one was just a photo-manipulation made with pictures of a rock I picked up (I used a feathered eraser to blend the images together, making it look like a single object). I can't remember what I did for glowy core, but I'm pretty sure the part where the core is most exposed was just a happy accident.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    The Ωmega One and bbninjas like this.
  17. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

Garbage art, but playing TCG GB 2 got me wanting to play around with Extra Rules.

[​IMG]

UPDATE: Changed the art as well as the rule at the bottom.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Jabberwock and bbninjas like this.
  18. bbninjas Ready or Not!
    bbninjas

Advanced Member Member

Something tells me that this idea is not so far off from reality! ;)

The Ωmega One and Jabberwock like this.
  19. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

Updated the art on Custom Card Battle! Still not the best art ever, but definitely an improvement imo. I also changed the rule at the bottom. To my knowledge, there was no limit to the real Extra Rule cards, but I could imagine things getting complicated if too many came into play. The updated rule would allow a maximum of 2 Extra Rules, one from you and one from your opponent.

I'm still iffy about the effect wording though. Should it be "cards must first be approved by each players" or "cards must first be approved by each player's opponent?" The latter feels redundant, but it might offer better clarity.

Oooooh...!!!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  20. bbninjas Ready or Not!
    bbninjas

Advanced Member Member

I think the wording without the “opponent” is fine, what the effect did was very clear when I read it.

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?