Negative 3
Overview

248.gif
227.gif
445.gif
479-wash.gif
579.gif
385.gif

This team is one of the better ones I used this generation. I've been using it consistenly on my laddering alt Without Lies and Without Truth on Smogon. It reached #1 with a 1540 rating and is on its way to earning me a second OU suspect vote. It utilizes Tyranitar + Skarmory + Garchomp. Hazard support + SubSD Garchomp makes it an absolute monster. It makes it nearly impossible to bring down without something like Skarmory or Bronzong on the enemies team. Garchomp can easily break through bulkier threats through hazard support too, which means it can break through even the strongest of threats. After a Swords Dance, it can occasionally beat Skarmory if it happens to be paralyzed. The rest of the team gives good support to Garchomp and covers the rest of the major threats.

Something very good about this team is that it has SubSD Garchomp, which in my opinion, is a very anti-weather Pokemon. Sand struggles against it because of constant misses. Sun is rather weak against Garchomp because of strong ground attacks it commonly fires off. It also has respectable bulk in resisting fire. Rain dosen't typically like Garchomp if Ferrothorn is burned or down. Gliscor is usually the only other thing that can really handle Garchomp. Otherwise, Garchomp has to be checked by something faster and a bit more fragile. Another good thing about Garchomp is that it fits very well with entry hazard support. Garchomp tends to shuffle teams around alot thanks to it being a constant threat. It also appreciate strong physical walls being weakened by hazards too.

The main bonus to this team is that it fits very well together and covers almost any threat the standard metagame can throw at it. Although it was built in the start of Gen 5, it still has the things it needs to handle the current metagame. At first I used Virizion over Jirachi mainly to handle strong ground types like Landorus, Doryuuzu, Quagsire, and even check Garchomp. However, things like Specs Latios and other strong special attackers got to me. So I switched in Jirachi to help absorb them better. I also used to have Jellicent, until I knew I had to have a better counter to Mamoswine and SD Gliscor. Both threats that could threaten my team. The rest of the team came from TTar + Skarmory + Garchomp. Thi gave me a hazard core + Garchomp to help clean up by abusing it. Rankurusu was added because I needed a solid fighting resist to help against Virizion, Terrakion, and Conkeldurr.

248.gif

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SAtk / 80 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Pursuit

Tyranitar is one of the best Pokemon in the metagame at this point. It provide a change in weather which is almost mandatory, a solid counter to ghosts and scarfed Latias or Latios that may come my way. Tyranitar is also my SRer of the team. It provides a solid choice also for the fact that SandStorm supports Garchomp quite a bit in Sand Veil. With hazards and Sand Veil together, it becomes one of the biggest threats possible in this metagame. Tyranitar only helps it become more of a monster. Speaking about how SandStorm helps, it easily eliminates faster weather starters like Politoed and Ninetails. Although they both can badly cripple Tyranitar, he usually comes out on top in the end. Pursuit is also very useful against weather starters as it can deal a heavy amount if they happen to switch. More offensive Ninetails typically take this hit the hardest.

Tyranitar isn't just all about weather though. I use it as a great support Pokemon thanks to its fantastic SPDef and general antics that make it a great Pokemon in this metagame. It also does very well against other "leads" in this metagame. Fire Blast quickly takes out Ferrothorn and other Spikers like Skarmory and Forretress, and Ice Beam can be used on a predicted switch to Gliscor or Garchomp. Both things are pretty solid threats in this metagame. The thing Tyranitar does not like is Toxic Spikes, espescially when being used on a rain team. Tyranitar will die fast if I don't play conservatively with him. It also hurts Garchomp a bit as he can deal with rain teams rather well if he gets in, even if sand is just up for a turn or two. Tyranitar seems to be played very badly however, and dies very fast. Which is very bad when you know your opponent has an opposing weather that they can abuse.

227.gif

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SDef / 36 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Taunt

Skamory is being used more and more this generation because of the recent wake of strong physical attackers and Garchomp being brought down from ubers. Skarmory aids me with all these threats rather well, and usually comes out on top. It deals with SD Land Genie rather well too, despite it having a less physically bulky movest. None the less Skarmory can still take a solid amount of hits from these Pokemon and simply Whirlwind them away and rack up hazard damage. Skarmory is my main "aid to chomp" Poke as Spikes help rack up damage on strong physical walls, which annoy Garchomp when he is attempting a sweep. When full hazards are on the field, Garchomp becomes nearly impossble to defeat. Skarmory also shares good synergy with Garchomp, which is a very good aid when I need to do a little switching around to shuffle up the opponents team or play with a threat.

Skarmory I feel is probably one of the only real counter to Garchomp. I can take a Dragon Claw or Outrage and Whirlwind them out. Skarmory also recently has gotton a well deserved gift. Sturdy being upgraded gave it a decent fall back on or screw up ability. If I take a crit I can hang on and roost back up to a solid amount of health. It also means Skarmory dosen't die the turn I may make a mistake through prediction and such. Although most of the time Skarmory won't be at full health, it does decent in early game wehn Stealth Rock is not up or he is at full health. Skarmory has a calling in this generation from its useful dragon resist, the ability to set up hazards which soften up strong offensive teams, and the fact it can take on most strong physical threats. The EVs on this spread are a little strange, however it is just a bit faster than usual Skarmory. 36 speed outruns every Skarmory that I face, and can easily taunt them. While the SPDef EVs make it a SPDef Skarm, meaning it can take the a special hit when it needs to.

445.gif

Garchomp (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Substitute
- Earthquake

Garchomp makes his return in this metagame. More powerful than ever, at least that is what I feel. SandStorm is even more common, and that means he can fit on many teams. His general useful typing also grants him a good amount of resistences, so he does have a bit of a synergy role in this team. His general bulk and good speed allow him to be a good revenge killer against slightly slower threats that may threaten me. However, Garchomp makes his presence on his team with a much more offensive role. As a SubSDer. This set, in my opinion is the most dangerous of them all. It abuses the ability Sand Veil to the fullest. Substitute occasionally earning him misses, allowing him to have multiple chances to set up on any move that may miss. With hazard support breaking down strong physical walls such as Slowbro and Ferrothorn, Garchomp can have free reign on any game. Launching powerful Earthquakes, which after hazard support, can have the chance to bring them both down. After a Swords Dance it's a rather easy path to a sweep. Especially if these two, and other solid counters and checks are gone. I even sometimes fake that Garchomp is scarf to scare off threats, then proceed to Substitue + SD. Eanring me a quick way of dealing a heavy amount of damaging the opponents team.

Garchomp however also earns its place as a weather counter. It can hurt sun teams rather bad with its STAB Earthquake. After a Swords Dance it easily beats any of the teams members and can easily win me the game single handed if the opponent happens to be careless and let be get behind sub. Rain teams even are annoyed if Garchomp gets behind a Substitute if it switches in on a resisted move, or something that misses. When Garchomp is in SandStorm, it can turn the entire game upside down. Rotom-W is an easy oppurtunity if I play it right. Hydro Pump often misses, meaning I can set up quite often against it. Even Skarmory and Bronzong can get brought down if they may be paralyzed by Jirachi, who they often will switch in on. A +2 Garchomps Dragon Claw 4HKOs the typical Bronzong. Sometimes a 3HKO if I get some prior damage on him. Usually between paralysis and Sand Veil it dosen't get many chances to attack. Garchomp is an amazing Pokemon in this metagame. With hazard support it turns into even more of a monster than it usually is. I started the team With TTar + Skarmory + Garchomp with this in mind. Between hazards, status, Sand Veil, and general power it can easily break any game it may get a chance to play in.

479-wash.gif

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SAtk / 88 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

At the start of Gen 5, people thought Rotom-A was ruined forever. And they were pretty much right. Well, except for this guy at least. Rotom-W practically got a gift from his new water typing. The set gave him a great amount of resistences. Including Fire, Water, and Ice. Three very important resists in this metagame. This means he can no longer be taken lightly against Heatran anymore. Or be damaged quite a bit from STAB water attacks. Rotom-W is a great counter to the bulky waters in this metagame. But what I think is best is that he still kept his fantastic support move pool through Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split. Both great moves that aid my entire team. Rotom-W is my main rain man. Being able to take on even a SpecsToed Hydro Pump and Pain Split his way back to the top of health. It also softens up Ferrothorns that make think it is a safe switch in with Will-O-Wisp. It also occasionally catches enemy dragons like Latios and Latias which can get annoying if they evade status for to long and whittle down Jirachi and Tyranitar. Rotom-W also preforms well as a bit of a back up counter to Land Genie and a solid counter to Gliscor and Mamoswine if I play careful. Rotom-W is my only water resist, so he is very important to this team.

Rotom-W also brings a steady Slowbro counter to this table. Slowbro has gotton annoying at times as people are now running Thunder Wave and Scald versions. Which always seems to get the status on me the first time with Scald, or just general annoyingness with Thunder Wave. Rotom-W also serves as a bit of a strange stuff check. Infernape (although not common) gets beaten by Rotom-W without him taking to much damage. It also can take out other Rotom-W if needed. Something that I often need to do. I often sometimes catch Jirachi switching into Rotom when I get a WoW out. Crippling them very badly for the rest of the game. Rotom-W I feel will be a even more dominate threat as the metagame progresses. With the great typing it has and solid pack of coveredge it gets it will be a top offensive and defensive threat for quite awhile. Well, at least until GameFreak does something to screw it up.

579.gif

Reuniclus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Reuniclus is the jello teddy bear of the team. And by that, I mean one of the best figting type counters I have ever used. Espescially in this metagame where Conkeldurr, Virizion, Terrakion, and Breloom roam. It has a very solid HP number. High enough so that it makes up for his only averedge defense. Magic Guard however makes up for it even more. It means it has Leftovers recovery no matter the weather. This turns it into quite a defensive threat. Then there is of course the fact that it has quite the large SPAtk stat. After one Calm Mind Psycho Shock turns into a deadly weapon that even those that are quite physically bulky take a strong amount from. Reuniclus at first was quite overshadowed and thought to be a rather weak threat, not because of stats, but because of a poor physic typing. Even with Magic Guard. Boy were we wrong. It has the greta qualities it needs to pass by. And the right timing to make good use of it with the new force of fighting types that were introduced. It also is one of the best stallbreakers around thanks to it's slowness and the fact it takes not entry hazard damage. No matter how well you play or how many holes you thin you can seal up, you will almost always have a slight weakness to this guy if you run stall. This is what really gives me that kick when facing stall teams. It will almost always pull me through if I play it right.

Another good thing about Reuniclus is that it deals well with offense too. With a moderatly strong Psycho Shock and Focus Blast it can break down its counters rather fast if I can predict well enough between double switches and hazard stacking. All in all there is not much more that I can say. Reuniclus has won me many close games and is one of the biggest reasons I was able to peak #1 on the leaderboard. Of all the games I would have lost if he was not on my team. In rating statistics, he earned me something around 100 rating points in close games. He is my "back up" Pokemon if I ever need to get out of a game in a pinch.

385.gif

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Body Slam
- Protect

Jirachi is very important for getting rid of Latias, Latios, and Reuniclus. Reuniclus is one of the most dangerous Pokemon at the time. Jirachi just so happens to help defeat it, although sometimes it can evade my ParaFlinch. Leftovers versions are very hard to defeat due to the constant healing. TR versions get dealt with quite easily due to their frailness. Then of course there is Latias and Latios. Both can't hurt Jirachi that badly, so I can usually get the Para on them and take them out fast. Jirachi is also my main answer to stuff like Sazandora which can blow holes in my team with the sheer force it has in its Life Orb and Specs Set. It is also a very huge aid when my team needs some restoring through Wish. Jirachi is one of Garchomps best teammates not only because of Wish, it also work very well by paralyzing Bronzong and Skarmory. Both who can actually be brought down by Garchomp through paralysis and Sand Veil. It also however restores Rotom-W, Reuniclus, and Tyraitars health when I need them to get restored for handling a threat, or just for changing back weather. Or even just for keeping them at a solid health amount.

Another thing that is fun to do with Jirachi is lure in Garchomp, Gliscor, Land Genie, and Doryuuzu. All have the chance to get paralyzed and crippled for the rest of the game. Jirachi even can defeat it's own counters if I can get the chance to paralyze them. Besides this, Jirachi gives me a very solid ice resist also. It can take scarfed Mamoswine Ice attacks on Garchomp if needed. Life Orb ones I play around with Jirachi and Rotom-W. Meaning these two are very important for wearing it down until I can deliver the finishing blow. Like I said before, Jirachi is a very promising Pokemon in this metagame. Taking on the strong special attackers of the metagame at this point.

Past Team Members

640.gif

Virizion @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

I used Virizion to counter mainly bulky water types and things like Landorus and occasionally check Garchomp if I could outspeed. I started having a little trouble against stronger special threats, and the bit of ice weakness was hurting me a little. I also was getting a little worried against dragon types. As Tyranitar couldn't sponge them forever. Virizion actually can still fit on the team. Which is why I still sometimes use him for fun. I may bring him back if I want a little safer way to handle these bulky water types and possibly a second water resist and Politoed counter. I also needed a better Reuniclus counter. So I selected Jirachi over it.

593.gif

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SDef / 96 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Recover

I used it for Rapid Spin blocking. But I quickly realized that I was a bit weak to Gliscor as Virizion couldn't stay alive very long and I changed it to Jirachi. Jellicent was a very very good rain counter. Easily beating Azumarill and friends rather easily. Taunting support Politoed and absorbing Specs Hydro Pumps. I still use the old version of this team sometimes if I want to have a little fun with it. Jellicent was a very solid stall break as well with Taunt + Toxic. Scald even could bring down Ferrothorn if I needed it to be weakened.
Threat List

This will only list threats to the team speceifically.

Yellow = Minor Threat

Orange = Medium Threat

Red = Major Threat

473.gif

Mamoswine
Mamoswine is more of an annoying threat than a dangerous one. Earthquake + any Ice move gets annoying when Stone Edge is in the mix. Life Orb ones die fast though. Scarf Ones are no problem at all.

645.gif

Landorus
Again, a bit more of an annoying threat if anything. SD can be dangerous, but I can play around it. Mix can't do very much to Skarmory or Rotom-W. Same thing with RP.

642.gif

Borotorosu
Quite the threat to any team. If Jirachi is down or dosen't get the paralysis I need I have to play around it very carefully. Leftovers versions are a bit more dangerous especially if I don't get paralysis. I ususally have to use Reuniclus as an last minute check.

639.gif

Terrakion
For crying out loud. This is where I wish I used Gliscor. Reuniclus can deal with it as long as there is no Swords Dance up. If it lacks it then I can just play around it with Reuniclus and Jirachi / Garchomp. This is mainly the start of when I wanted to try out Low Kick TTar.

Conclusion
Thank you for reading and hopefully rating my RMT! A quick not before I go is that this team looks very similar to Kevin Garrett's, however this team was built before his was ( I remember I got the idea of TTar + Skarm + Chomp while toying around with ideas with kd24 ). The team may be hard to rate as it is probably very similar, but at least maybe just posting could just show that you at least thought this wasn't a waste of time. Anyway, thank you for reading this RMT, and good luck in any future matches you may have! ;)

I would advise giving garchomp dual chop over dragon claw, as it can break subs. On an unrelated note, I find it odd that everything on the team has leftovers.

Leftovers is one of the best items around, many of the best RMT's use straight-up Lefties.
I find that your teams always have the best synergy out all the pros here a PokeBeach. I think Reuniclus makes a very good counter to many of the threats you would face. Go ahead and try Low Kick on Tyranitar, I found it makes a fantastic lead by doing so. Maybe take out Ice Beam? Anyways, I cannot find any big problems with the team. As usual...

If he takes out Ice Beam, Gliscor and Dragons troll it. You can take down opposing T-Tar with Garchomp later on. Keep the Ice Beam.

Also, does everyone but me run Sandstorm on the PB Server?

Pretty much. Many non-sandstorm teams have to adapt to it. Even this team is well-suited for sandstorm.
Tyranitar has a huge movepool, so you can't really remove one of his moves without removing something crucial. Although you're right, Garchomp would troll the snot out of him. I am totally going to start using Rotom-w as a Slowbro counter, as it has been very annoying to me lately, thanks for the tip on Slowbro, PDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back