General Need Spanish Help

First of all, there are different Spanish accents depending on the region or the country. For example:

- The double L (ll): In most of latin america countries and Spain, this is pronounced like the Y in "Yanma", but here in Argentina we pronounce it like the sh in "shame". If the director didn't tell you which region you need to represent the accent, I'd go with the first one because it's used in more countries.
- The R: If the letter is at the beginning of a word (like "Rubí") it is pronounced like the R in "Rock" but stronger than in English. To make it stronger, you need to make your tongue vibrate by expeling air while pronouncing it. It's very hard to explain it in a forum, hehe. In any other case where the R is in the middle or the end of a word (like "arte" or "hablar") the sound is weaker, very similar to how you pronounce "art".
- The H: This is simple, it is always silent. If you read a word with an H, just ignore it.
- The J: Like you said, it's similar to your H sound, like "hey" or "Harry" but pronounced stronger. The sound should come from a deeper part of your throat.

This is a good advice. Just know the following: in American English there are 15 different vowel sounds, in Spanish there are only 5 represented by A, E, I, O and U.

I hope it helps!

Thanks, this really hopes a lot! The director told me to go for a Spanish accent like in Spain, but there are a lot of similarities between the Spain Spanish accent and Latin American Spanish Accents. These tips really help a lot and I'll be working with a voice coach to make sure the sounds are correct.

I really needed these. Gracias!

Back