XY Need Help Choosing A Starter in Pokémon Y

Pokeman

The great snake rules forever!
Well I just bought Pokémon Y finally. I have no idea about any of the Pokémon from generation 5. So what is the best starter and what are some good pokemon to catch? Is this game better than any of the other generations in the past?

RE: Just bought Pokemon Y

Pokemon X&Y are the 6th generation of Pokemon games, and Pokemon X&Y are the latest installment in the series. 5th generation Pokemons are from Pokemon Black, White, Black2, White2. You'll find some past generation Pokemons in Pokemon X&Y. Pokemon Y has new machanics, to the series, you'll eventually discover them during your playthrough. As for what is the best starter I like fire type starters, so I chose the fox Fennekin. I'm pretty sure that Pokemon X&Y are the best games in the series better than the past games. Pokemon is marketing they have to move past generation Pokemons into new Pokemon games so fans can purchase them depending on the exclusive content games. I hope you enjoy playing Pokemon Y, and achieve a wonderful experience from the game.

Awesome that you got Pokémon Y! The starter I chose was also Fennekin, but since I got both versions I traded the other starters to myself in the early game as well. Fennekin can definitely be useful against the first Gym Leader. It might not be the best against Surskit's Bubble attack, but the fire type moves help a lot against Vivillon. Since you're battling a fully evolved Pokémon this early on the type advantage can be useful. Chespin will be at a disadvantage and Froakie is neutral. There is a lot of time and traveling between the first and second Gym, which gives you the opportunity to find enough Pokémon that will be able to help you win the latter battle.

That said, the game is very manageable to complete even if you choose Chespin. You can catch Pokémon with Fire or Flying type moves early on to cover for its weaknesses in the first Gym and do great! It has become a habit of mine to go for the Fire-type starter, but since it's not very hard to beat the games I recommend to stick to your favourite.

I know how you feel :) I only got Pokemon X about a month ago now, but trust me, you'll definitely love it!

Personally, I went for Chespin. Despite being weak against the first gym leader, it's definitely a very reliable partner throughout. I'm sure any of the three would have been great though. Having said that as well, there are lots of good Pokemon, which you can catch early on, varying from lots of different generations. So building a varied team early on is quite easy. In fact, in the first couple of routes where Pokemon are obtainable, you can catch almost every type (apart from water and dragon...as ghost/steel comes a route or two later).

Fletchling can be a good catch, giving you a fire/flying type once it evolves. I've also heard that a lot of people have used Furfrou and been pleasantly surprised by how strong it can be. But anyway, I'm sure you'll feel right at home with in the Kalos region, with there being so many Pokemon from the first generation mixed in there.

Hey thanks a lot guys. I ended up choosing the water starter and picked up Charmander. I picked up a Pancham and a Skiddo too, which I am not really sure if they are good enough to train, but so far I am really liking the game, I only have a single badge so far though.

Back