Need a Bit of Help, Few Years Out of Practice [Last updated: 11/19 9:09p]

Axell Starr

I will set you ablaze now
So back in high school and up to a couple years ago I did competitive for some time and finally getting back into it after a long, long hiatus.

So here's a copypasta of the team so far. It needs a lot of work.

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Substitute

Well, Azu's so common in VGC his role's not really needed to be explained.

Raichu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- HP Ice
- Fake Out
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Even though I know Zapdos does the same job and better as Raichu, I have more fun using Rai and never really liked Zap that much. It's a preference so that matches are more enjoyable to me.

Talonflame @ Sky Plate
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Quick Guard (Will be switching it with Roost for testing)

My Phys Attacker that helps set up speed buffs to aid the slower party members. My brain's to scrambled to piece together more than that for him.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 156 HP / 188 Def / 164 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Protect

My sporer that protects the attack mon he's out with. See abouve for why this is so short.

My current guinea pigs:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 108 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 216 HP / 72 Def / 164 SpA / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Muddy Water

I know I need a special wall, and would like that to fill one of the last 2 spots I need. The team's closer to being completed than it was with the last update, and pleased with what I've come up with without help. Other than making poor choices do to over predicting, the team so far works quite well together.

Mons I am thinking about using are:
M-Heracross

Ones I /might/ consider after I've had my fun with Rai:
Zapdos (chose Rai over him)

One's I've tried but might give a second chance:
Mawile
Gliscor

I'm open for all suggestions for the 2 spots that need to be filled.
Also, Hello again everyone from my away time from this place. =D

RE: Need a bit of help, few yeas out of practice [Last updated: 11/14 10:08p]

First off, welcome back.
Now onto the team:
Personally, I would've chose Zapdos over Raichu mainly because Zapdos hits harder and has more bulk to survive, in addition to also getting roost to heal off damage it sustains throughout the battle. You said you were also thinking about Mawhile, and I would very much promote it. Mega Mawhile is a monster! If you not going to mega evolve mawhile though, don't bother using it. If you would rather use a different mega, I would try Mega Gengar or Mega Heracross. Depending on whether you want a wallbreaker (Mega Heracross) or the ability to trap and kill various threats (Mega Gengar). If you opt for Heracross, I recommend Empoleon to finish the team because Empoleon offers high special defense and special attack, being able to play offensively and defensively. If you opt for Mega Gengar, try using Blissey or chansey for dedicated special wall that can also sponge up all statuses so gengar doesn't get paralyzed or put to sleep.
Again welcome back, and I hope I offered some help.

RE: Need a bit of help, few yeas out of practice [Last updated: 11/14 10:08p]

Roost is good option for Talonflame; both of its strong power moves give recoil, and without Leftovers recovery you may find it goes down faster than you'd want, particularly if Stealth Rock is up (as you have no Spinner/Defogger).

RE: Need a Bit of Help, Few Years Out of Practice [Last updated: 11/14 10:08p]

Since the last update, I have tried M-Maw out, might try her again in some matches once PS goes back up. She fits kinda 'eh' for my play style, but within the range of learning how to use her. M-Gar is in the same spot, but since I've opted out of giving Chansey some consideration (maybe in the next team since I want to use her in the future) for this specific team, I rather not give him a spot. I've yet to give M-Her a try, though I have a set for him, ev spread, item, and all ready to go.

As I said, even though I know Zapdos (maybe I removed it from the OP on accident?) does the same job and better as Raichu, I have more fun using Rai and never really liked Zap that much. It's a preference so that matches are more enjoyable to me.

I love Empoleon and surprised that it hasn't come to mind to use him due to his high special defense. I will certainly give him a try at a spot on my team.

I'll be trying roost out on the the fire bird when PS is back up.

Anyhoo, here's my 2 current guinea pigs:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 108 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Why he's a guinea pig is because I see an earthquaker being quite helpful to my team. Also, with all the T-Tars, Garchomps, Talons, and Zards, Mawile, and Aegislash flying around, I see it as a good option against teams that would seem to be difficult for Azu to face. It is another phys attacker, which is the only thing I don't like. Also intimidate to cut the attack early on against certain teams seems like it could be quite helpful. I have not tested him yet since PS is still down and I just added him today.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 216 HP / 72 Def / 164 SpA / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Muddy Water

I really like her tankiness. She's actually pulled me through a couple winning matches with her being able to tank a couple special stabs to the face and do not bad damage in return. The only thing I don't like is that she seems lacking in the synergy department with the 4 I'm stubborn to keep. She's doing better than I anticipated though a bit slow.

Edit: so I did remove why I chose Rai over Zap in the OP. I'll re-add it.

Back