Pokemon Names in the Pokemon games

UmbraESP

baconbaconbaconbaconbaconbacon
Do you think that something in Pokemon has a weird,cool,or whatever name? For Ex.: there is a trainer in the Battle Frontier named Gaspar. When you go to Snowpoint City in D/P/P, there is a trainer who will trade you her Gengar named Gaspar. Pokemon names that I think are weird are Alomonola. I don't even think I spelled it right. It's even kind of hard to say. Other B/W Pokemon names that are weird are Throh and Sawk IMO. Discuss your thoughts here!

RE: Names

I think that Alomolala, or however it is spelt, is really wierd name, so is Keldeo, if that is even spelt right, and Throh and Sawk are fine, just the way they are, but some other names that are weird, are Barry, sounds just like berry, but spelt different. Dawn, creative, sorta, normal no, cool, yes. I also think the name Jolteon is awesome.

In the Battle Subway there's a guy named Rich Boy Pound (as in the move.) Before the battle he says something like, 'I am master of the universe and a shaker of time." After you beat him, he says he's thinking about his future prospects. Basically, since Tackle got a power-up, Pound thinks it will too.

I think it's weird being able to use the move 'dig' in the battle subway.

StealthAngel667 said:
Conkeldurr. Just look at the damn thing. It's a derpface in its purest form.

/thread
Conkeldurrrrrp.

Umbreon/Espeon said:
Do you think that something in Pokemon has a weird,cool,or whatever name? For Ex.: there is a trainer in the Battle Frontier named Gaspar. When you go to Snowpoint City in D/P/P, there is a trainer who will trade you her Gengar named Gaspar. Pokemon names that I think are weird are Alomonola. I don't even think I spelled it right. It's even kind of hard to say. Other B/W Pokemon names that are weird are Throh and Sawk IMO. Discuss your thoughts here!

It's name is Alomomola. It's funny because of the way it's spelled back words..

PokeMedic said:
I think it's weird being able to use the move 'dig' in the battle subway.
You can do that?0-0

EDIT: Was looking at the Japanese names for some of the Pokemon,and Vaporeon's Japanese name is Showers.O-o

T-Peezy said:
It's name is Alomomola. It's funny because of the way it's spelled back words..
That's called a Palindrome. Its the same way with Anna, Mom, or Race car.
And even 'A man, a plan, a canal, Panama'

Umbreon/Espeon said:
You can do that?0-0

EDIT: Was looking at the Japanese names for some of the Pokemon,and Vaporeon's Japanese name is Showers.O-o

wow, that is weird, they used an English word for a Japanese name. I wonder if they always do that.

Sure, they do that a LOT. At least half of all Pokémon names have at least one non-Japanese word hidden in it.

safariblade said:
That's called a Palindrome. Its the same way with Anna, Mom, or Race car.
And even 'A man, a plan, a canal, Panama'

Goldenrod-Adorned Log
Mustafa's Tent Nets a Fat Sum
Girafarig

Apparently Alomomola is a derivation of Mola mola, the scientific name for the ocean sunfish, after which the Pokémon is based (sunfish have the characteristic vertical wing-like fins, even though they have a much less, er…feminine demeanor than Alomomola's design). What always confused me for ages though were berry names, a lot of them seem to make obvious sense – yes, I did figure out where the Tomato Berry came from :p – but there were a few that were just like, "wha…? *drool*." Turns out there is actually a Phillipine-native fruit named "star fruit" (Carambola) that looks like a 5-edged star when you cut it open, hence Starf Berry. I don't know if I've been living under a rock forever, or if I dropped out of fruit school in Kindergarten, but I legitimately had no idea half this stuff even existed in real life, haha (please tell me Starf wasn't an obvious one – aside from "star," duh. Or I'm hoping it's a duh anyway…).

Check these out, they're pretty cool:

Magost – Purple mangosteen
Yache – Cherimoya (it grows high up in the Andes, hence the Ice-type connection)
Lansat – Langsat
Rowap – Water Apples (they come in a variety of colors, but unfortunately blue isn't one of them… Often used in salads, sauteed dishes, and Arceus events)
Babiri – Biriba (essentially a cross between an apple and a banana, with the addition of deadly-looking spikes)

A lot of berries' names are just the names of their real-life counterparts with the letters bumped up a few spaces in order, like "Babiri" (Ganlon=Longan, Payapa=Papaya, Wiki=Wikipedia Kiwi, etc.), and of course there're the infamous backwards names. I feel like I'm late to the revelation now, haha, but fascinating nonetheless (even though I'm kind of freaked out by Southeast Asian cuisine now :p).

@MrGatr: Moltres' name is literally "Fire" in Japanese (ファイヤー). I don't know what English education was like in Japan during the '90's, but I have a feeling the mysteries of a lot those 1st Gen names are wearing off over there with a good many facepalms and feelings of abuse/hatemail to Game Freak… Granted, the same things are being done vice versa around the world all the time – that's why no one knows what Mawile and Castform are supposed to be, and why Hariyama is called Hariyama in English instead of Hariteyama (kind of a weird/convoluted story I guess…).

I actually did some independent research into what each of the Berries were named after. I came to different conclusions than Bulbapedia, but I did figure them all. Except for the Wacan Berry. I have been puzzled as to why there are two berries based on the papaya though, unless it was something I didn't think of.

I've actually eaten a great deal of these fruits. If you ever find a cherimoya, I'd recommend it, though they can be pretty expensive because they overripen in a hurry. Like, within a day. On the other hand, starfruits are terrible. The one I had tasted like a lemon without the limonene that makes a lemon appealing.

That being said, if you live in a place that's deeply western in its culture, chances are you'd never really find any non-western fruits unless you actually looked for them. My mom had lived in one such place before; she had obtained a mango and asked people what they thought it was. One person thought it was a pineapple. I live in California, where there is a strong eastern influence, so I see a lot of fruits that would be difficult or expensive in other places. There is also a community of rare fruit growers in Costa Mesa; if you can afford it, they will sell you jaboticabas, durians, miniature pineapples, chinese lanterns (what the Chilan is named after), delicious monsters (that is the actual name of the fruit), and pink lemons if you want (used to make pink lemonade, silly).

(The Babiri can be based on the berberry too.)

There's a guy on the Battle Subway named Serjbu. That's awesome.

Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog.
Rats live on no evil star.

Back