Not open for further replies.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
How to play

Using a list of a team's tier placements, weaknesses, resistances, and immunities, determine the members of that team.

Team Selection Guidelines

1. Smogon tiers only. http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/formats/
- Pokemon will only be chosen from the following tiers: Uber, Overused (OU), Underused (UU), Rarelyused (RU), Neverused (NU), and PU.
-- For the purposes of this game, treat BL4 Pokemon as NU, BL3 Pokemon as RU, BL2 Pokemon as UU, and BL Pokemon as OU.
- For the purposes of this game, every Pokemon's Hidden Ability is viable for selection, even if it hasn't officially been released.

2. Teams will always have six Pokemon. If a Mega Pokemon is present on the team, there will only be one. Mega Pokemon will not always be on the team.

3. Species clause is in effect.

4. Once a Pokemon has been correctly guessed, it must be included in all future guesses for those guesses to be considered legit. If any previously revealed team member is not in the current guess, the entire guess will be marked wrong.

5. You get three guesses max. If you don't guess all six members correctly within three guesses, I win.

6. Guesses must be properly formatted to be counted as a guess. See below.

How to guess

Put this anywhere in your post:

PMJ, we think this is your team:

Poke1

Then I will reply with which Pokemon, if any, are part of the team, and relay how many guesses you guys have left.

Misc. tips

1. For the purposes of this game, a weakness is any type that does at least 150% damage or more. Conversely, a resistance is any type that does 50% damage or less. An immunity, obviously, is any type that does no damage.
- A Pokemon with Dry Skin is considered to be weak to Fire.

2. This is a team game, and the teams are everyone vs. me. Work together. You can use any research you like in your search for answers.

3. If a Pokemon has a double weakness to a type, it will be listed only once.
- ex. A team of Butterfree, Ledian, Yanmega, Beautifly, Vivillon, and Mega Pinsir would only show 6 Rock weaknesses, not 12.

4. If a Pokemon has two Mega Evolutions, you must distinguish between the two if you believe it is part of the team.
- If a Mega Evolution changes the base Pokemon's type, it will be treated as the Mega Evolution's type in the team specs (so Mega Mewtwo X would be listed as weak to Flying).
- If a Mega Evolution does NOT change the base Pokemon's type, it will not be part of the team unless its ability changes its type matchups, or if it is in a different tier than its base form.

5. Each team member will have a specific ability, the same as if you were actually building this team. Keep that in mind when determining weaknesses and resistances. A Ninetales with Flash Fire is immune to Fire, but one with Drought is not.
- If you determine that Flash Fire Ninetales is on the team, your guess does not have to specify the Ability. Just the Pokemon is sufficient.

6. Don't look at competitive viability when figuring out team members. If you figure out Drought Ninetales is on the team, don't start looking for Chlorophyll sweepers and sun abusers because chances are you won't find them. Team members are pretty much chosen arbitrarily.

7. Post freely. The point is to work together, so you can post whatever you want. Not every post has to be a guess.

And that's pretty much it. Once the round ends, I post new team specs and the game begins anew.

Can you Name That Team?

Here are the specs for round 4:

Tiers

1 OU
1 UU
2 RU
2 PU

Weaknesses

2 Bug
1 Dark
1 Dragon
1 Electric
2 Fairy
3 Fighting
2 Fire
1 Flying
1 Ghost
1 Grass
1 Ground
1 Ice
2 Rock
1 Steel

Resistances

1 Dark
2 Electric
2 Fighting
2 Fire
1 Flying
1 Ghost
2 Grass
1 Ground
2 Ice
1 Psychic
2 Steel
2 Water

Immunities

1 Ghost
1 Ground
1 Psychic

Last edited:

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
Okay, let's see what we can gather from this:
Based on immunites, there is 1 ghost type. Mostly likely, there's a ground type, though it could be Lightning Rod instead. Same goes for 2 flying, though there could be levitate.
We have no Dark, Fairy, Steel, or Normal types, since their immunities would be covered here.

From weaknesses:
Bug~2 grass/psychic
Dark~2 psychic/ghost
Dragon~1 dragon
Electric~1 water/flying
Fairy~2 fighting/dragon
Fighting~1 ice
Flying~1 grass/fighting/bug
Ghost~3 ghost/psychic
Grass~1 water/ground/rock
Ground~2 fire/electric/poison/rock
Ice~1 grass/ground/flying/dragon
Psychic~2 fighting/poison
Rock~2 fire/ice/flying/rock
Steel~2 ice/rock
Water~3 fire/ground/rock
What does this tell us so far:
There is an ice type.
There is exactly one dragon type (every dragon is weak to dragon).
There are at least 2 fire types (compare grass and water).
There is a fighting type.

From Resistances is coming soonish.

Last edited:

NinjaPenguin

From Resistances:
Bug~3 fire/fighting/poison/flying/ghost
Electric~2 electric/grass/dragon
Fairy~2 fire/poison
Fighting~3 poison/flying/psychic/bug
Fire~2 fire/water/rock/dragon
Flying~2 electric/rock
Grass~2 fire/grass/poison/flying/bug/dragon
Normal~1 rock
Poison~3 poison/ground/rock/ghost
Psychic~2 psychic
Rock~2 fighting/ground
Steel~2 fire/water/electric
Water~1 water/grass/dragon
Which means:
There must be exactly one rock type (every rock type resists normal).
There must be 2 psychic types.
There must be one electric type (look at flying).

Both this and weakness may be wrong if abilities like dry skin come into play. Can someone compile a list of all those abilities?

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
List of type-effectiveness affecting abilities:

• Volt Absorb/Lightning Rod/Motor Drive: Immune to Electric
  • Water Absorb/Storm Drain: Immune to Water
  • Dry Skin: Immune to Water, weak to Fire
  • Flash Fire: Immune to Fire
  • Levitate: Immune to Ground
  • Thick Fat: Resists Fire and Ice
  • Sap Sipper: Immune to Grass

Attix

I've created a Google Spreadsheet to help us rule out typings. To prevent vandalism, only I can edit it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIlp5aOc6eKQLsySEIGtwA05h1tB3O1UWyzdowWPkXw/edit?usp=sharing

We've already established that there are no Dark, Steel, Fairy or Normal types on the team, or their immunities would be covered. I've also already marked out types that don't exist (i.e. Poison/Psychic etc.) to reduce clutter. It's also got an ability checklist so we can rule out abilities that would affect our guesses.

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Keep in mind that certain combinations will cancel out some weaknesses/resistances, so just because there is only one Dragon weakness doesn't necessarily mean there is one Dragon type.

To prove there can not be 2 Dragon types:

If there are two pure Dragons, then there should be 2 Ice Weakness, 2 Fairy Weakness and 2 Dragon Weakness (yet there is only 1/2/1).
Thus 1 of the Dragon weakness must be cancelled out. This can only be done if a Dragon is Dragon/Steel. However, we already know that Dragon/Steel can't exist (because the necessary immunity is lacking).
Therefore, this scenario cannot exist.
Therefore, there must only be 1 Dragon type.​

Also:
One of the Pokemon must be an Ice type that is NOT Ice/Poison, Ice/Flying, Ice/Psychic, Ice/Bug or Ice/Fairy (otherwise the Fighting weakness would be cancelled out).
One of the Pokemon must be an Fighting type that is NOT Fighting/Poison, Fighting/Fire or Fighting/Steel (otherwise the Fairy weakness would be cancelled out), or Fighting/Dragon (otherwise there would be 1 Fairy weakness instead of 2). [If there are 2 Fighting types, then the second Fighting type could be any of these).
The Rock type is NOT Rock/Ghost (else the resistance to Normal would be an immunity).
Two of the Pokemon must be Psychic types that are NOT Psychic/Fighting or Psychic/Poison (else the Psychic resistance would be cancelled out).

Attix

Look closely at Resistances. There are no Ice resists. So there can't be any Pokémon resisting Ice. Any Fire, Ice or Water-type must be part Grass, Dragon, Ground or Flying as a result.

This last revelation also rules out Dry Skin, since we've eliminated every Pokémon that can have that ability. This leaves us with only Levitate, Volt Absorb, Lightning Rod and Motor Drive as possible abilities.

Last edited:

Attix

In addition, we don't have any Fire or Poison weaknesses.
  • Grass, Bug and Ice Pokémon that don't have Thick Fat or are not part Fire, Water, Rock or Dragon can't be on the team. Only two otherwise Fire-weak Pokémon can have Thick Fat: Mega Venusaur and Mamoswine.
  • Grass Pokémon that aren't part Rock, Ground, Ghost or Poison can't be on the team.
This means:
  • The only Thick Fat Pokémon left to consider are Mega Venusaur, Mamoswine, Grumpig and Hariyama, which (except for Mega Venusaur) have not yet otherwise been eliminated by typing.
  • Our Ice-type must be either Kyurem, Kyurem-W, or Kyurem-B. Because Mamoswine is normally Fire-weak, and needs Thick Fat to be neutral to Fire but that creates an Ice resistance (which we don't have), Mamoswine is ruled out.
  • This means our Ice AND Dragon-type has to be a Kyurem form.

Last edited:

Attix

Based on the above, I'm going to do some more puzzle-solving. Muses in the spoiler:

• Since we know we have a Kyurem form, we eliminate every remaining Dragon and Ice typing.
  • We have exhausted our only Fighting weakness. So others are ruled out.
  • We have exhausted our only Water resistance. So others are ruled out.
  • Since we don't have Ice resists, and because we have ruled out Mega Venusaur, Thick Fat has been ruled out as an ability.
Let's try and work out Electric-types, since we must have one:
  • We have one remaining Electric resistance, and an Electric immunity. So resistance and immunity must be mutually exclusive.
  • We also have two Flying resists, one of which must be a Rock-type. We've ruled out Rock/Electric, so it cannot be that.
  • We have two remaining Steel resists to work with. This means that, contrary to Ninjapenguin, we can't have more than a singe Fire.
  • So to use up our Water weaknesses, we need a fire, a ground, and a rock.

Attix

OK, I think I'm ready. Wish me luck.

1: Marshadow @ Technician
2: Kyurem-B @ Teravolt
3: Nihilego @ Beast Boost
4: Moltres @ Pressure
5: Claydol @ Levitate
6: Alolan Raichu @ Surge Surfer

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I'm sorry, I thought I posted this yesterday.

Your guess is correct.

youre-winner-.jpg

You don't have to guess the ability on a Pokemon, even if it changes the type matchups. As long as the Pokemon is correct, that's all that matters.

Round two is up, have at ye.

Attix

Now I need to build this team and take it onto Battle Spot :)

Attix

Alright, time to start the gaem for realz:

Spreadsheet has been reset: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIlp5aOc6eKQLsySEIGtwA05h1tB3O1UWyzdowWPkXw/edit#gid=0

Preliminary Ruleouts:
  • Non-Existant Typings
  • Typings not appearing in OU, UU or PU (or BL and BL2)
  • No Fire, Water or Grass immunities, so associated abilities ruled out (along with Pokémon with unique types that can only legally have those abilities).
  • No Poison or Psychic immunities, so Dark and Steel are ruled out.
Observations:
  • No Steel weaknesses, so Ice, Rock and Fairy-types without Fire, Water, Electric or Steel types are ruled out.
  • No Normal resists, so all Rock-types ruled out.
  • No Electric resists, so Electric, Grass and Dragon-types not part Water or Flying ruled out.
  • No Flying resists, so all remaining Electric-types ruled out.
  • No Psychic resists, so all remaining Psychic-types ruled out.
  • No Ghost resists, but we've ruled out Dark-types already.
  • No Dragon resists, but we've ruled out Steel-types already.
We're left with generally few possible typings as a result, and we have some immunity-based constraints too:
  • We must have a Normal-type.
  • We must have a Ghost-type.
  • We must have a Fairy-type.
I'll think some more later. Anyone can look at my spreadsheet and chip in, too.

Last edited:

Attix

(IGNORE THIS POST)

We must have a Fairy-type, and I've ruled out all possible Fairy typings except Water/Fairy. However, all fully-evolved Pokémon with that typing can be featured here, and none have (remaining) effectiveness alterators as their only ability. So we have to figure out who's in OU and UU first.
  • We have one Bug weakness and one remaining Poison weakness. This means we must have a Grass-type of some sort (only one) and our Water/Fairy is the team's only one.
  • Remaining Grass-typings not weak to Bug or Poison are ruled out.
  • So we must have Water/Fairy, a Grass, a Normal, a Ghost, and a Dragon so far.

Last edited:

Attix

Okay, I made some systemic errors, so I had to go back and redo my logic from scratch. Anyhoo:
  • We need a separate Dragon and Fighting-type to fill our two Fairy weaknesses. This rules out all Poison-types other than Poison/Fighting. Toxicroak is NU so that typing is ruled out as well.
  • We need a Grass-Type weak to Bug to have our Bug weakness.
  • And on top of this, we need a Normal, a Fairy and a Ghost.
  • The only non-ruled out Fairy typing is Water/Fairy, so we need to use that.

Attix

Alright, so after some guess-and-checking and three hours of wracking my brain:

1: Alolan Marowak @ Lightning Rod
2: Mega Pinsir
3: Primarina
4: Keldeo
5: Alolan Exeggutor
6: Miltank @ Thick Fat

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
It might be a good idea to let others in on the fun of figuring out the puzzle too, y'know! ;)

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Alright, so after some guess-and-checking and three hours of wracking my brain:

1: Alolan Marowak @ Lightning Rod
2: Mega Pinsir
3: Primarina
4: Keldeo
5: Alolan Exeggutor
6: Miltank @ Thick Fat

Alolan Marowak, Keldeo, and Miltank are on the team. The rest are not. Two guesses left.

NinjaPenguin

What's remaining:
Tiers

2 UU
1 PU

Weaknesses

1 Bug
1 Dragon
2 Electric
1 Fairy
1 Fire