Finished Name That Team (Round 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't have too much time to figure out today, so there's only this short stuff.

Anyway, I think that Dark/Fire is our Dark type instead of Dark/Poison. This is because all the remaining Rock combinations we can possibly have retain the Poison resist. The only Rock combinations neutral to Poison are Rock/Fairy and Rock/Grass, and we just eliminated the latter after confirming Galvantula. So that should mean our 1 Poison resistance comes from a Rock type. Therefore, we can't have a Dark/Poison type. So it's a
Dark/Fire. And that's Houndoom, who's in RU.

That also made me realize that we can't have a Ground type. Ground resists Poison, and we don't have Ground/Fairy and Ground/Grass either. Rock/Ground isn't possible for the team because we don't have a Rock resist. So if we don't have a Ground type, that means our 1 Electric immunity is from an ability - Lightningrod, Volt Absorb or Motor Drive. Lanturn comes to mind at that, but it's still possible to be a mono-Electric type with that ability, because it doesn't interfere with Galvantula taking the 1 Electric resistance.

There's also a possibility that we have 2 Water types here - A Water type with Storm Drain/Water Absorb and a Water type for that 1 Water resistance we need.

Furthermore, the required Types are: Normal for the Ghost immunity, Psychic for the Ghost weakness, and Rock for the Normal and Poison resist, and Steel weakness. So it's just a matter of figuring out if they're mono-type or combined. That's already a lot of required Types including the 2 Waters above, which is why I suspect the Ground immunity comes from Levitate instead of Flying-type, especially since a lot of Psychics have Levitate. I'll check for that tomorrow unless there's a lot figured out or it's already disproved by you guys before I get to it.

I forgot to mention you only get three guesses. Gonna see if that negatively affects the game, but I doubt it.

So... With work done early, I finally have time to think of the details on this round.

Going by the thread of deduction we have going so far, it seems that no matter which angle I try to tackle it, it always ends up with the problem of having so many types required and not enough Pokemon to fill them or the combinations not fitting the specs.

In that case, as often advised, it's better to rethink from the start. I ended up going with the 1 Water resistance deduction thread like I've previously done, but Electric/Bug really is the only type left to give a Fire weakness. But since that would lead us to the same path, there had to be something else.

And that's when I realized.

The answer isn't a type. It's an ABILITY.

It's even stated in the first post. Dry Skin provides a Fire weakness in this game. Not only that but this should also account for the 1 Water immunity without resorting to two Water types like I said in the previous post. From SS's list, the only Dry Skin Pokemon we can have is either Jynx or Heliolisk. It can't be Jynx because we'll get an additional Steel weakness, so our Pokemon is Heliolisk, who's BL3/RU.

Our next confirmed type is Dark/Fire, which I've explained in the previous post.

Weaknesses

1 Bug
1 Dark
1 Electric
2 Fighting
1 Fire
1 Ghost
1 Grass
2 Ground
1 Ice
3 2 Rock
1 Steel
2[s/] 1 Water

Resistances

1 Bug
1 Dark
1 Electric
2 Fighting
21 Fire
2 1 Flying
1 Ghost
2 1 Grass
2 1 Ice
1 Normal
1 Poison
1 Psychic
4 2 Steel
1 Water

Immunities

1 Electric
1 Ghost
1 Ground
1 Psychic
1 Water

Next... we can't have a Ground-type as I've explained also in the previous post. So our Electric immunity is from an Ability as well. Now there are lots of possibilities here, I'll work on narrowing it down for now, though I might end up following it through to try to deduce the other remaining types so this'll take a while.

And you guys had such good discussion going, too.

PMJ said:
And you guys had such good discussion going, too.

I've been trying to make progress when I have a bit of time but there are no more solid leads, I swear. At this point it'll just end up as trial and error, which just isn't that fun >_<

You're kidding, right? You're complaining about having to make guesses because you can't nail down the majority of the team in one go?

This is why you have multiple guesses. Get mod confirmation for what you think you know and go from there.

So Reinforce is correct in that we can't have a Ground-Type Pokémon, which leaves us with not many options. After Heliolisk and Houndoom, we don't have a Ground-Type weakness left, and since almost every Pokémon with an immunity to Electric-Type attacks via ability is weak to Ground-Type attacks, this leaves us with only a couple of options:
Emolga, Seaking, Thundurus-Therian

We now have the issue of a Rock-Type Pokémon, and the only possible one is Armaldo, as the others clash either due to a lack of Ground-Type weakness, of lack of Fighting-Type weakness. Lunatone/Solrock don't work because our Pokémon after this is Thundurus-Therian: Armaldo is the only Rock/Bug-Type Pokémon, and it is NU, which invalidates Emolga and Seaking as options.

Specs right now:
1 OU
1 UU
0 RU
0 NU

Weaknesses

1 Bug
1 Dark
1 Electric
0 Fighting
0 Fire
1 Ghost
1 Grass
0 Ground
0 Ice
0 Rock
0 Steel
0 Water

Resistances

0 Bug
0 Dark
0 Electric
1 Fighting
1 Fire
0 Flying
0 Ghost
0 Grass
1 Ice
0 Normal
0 Poison
1 Psychic
0 Steel
1 Water

Immunities

0 Electric
0 Ghost
0 Ground
0 Psychic
0 Water

Heliolisk
Houndoom
Armaldo
Thundurus-Therian

It seems obvious for there to be a Psychic-Type Pokémon here, as a mono-psychic works beautifully. In fact, only a mono-psychic works here, as all other existing Psychic-Type combinations fall short somewhere. It can't have Levitate, which leaves us with these as options:
UU: Alakazam, Espeon
OU: Alakazam-Mega, Gothitelle, Mew,

So, specs:
1/0 OU
1/0 UU
0 RU
0 NU

Weaknesses

0 Bug
0 Dark
1 Electric
0 Fighting
0 Fire
0 Ghost
1 Grass
0 Ground
0 Ice
0 Rock
0 Steel
0 Water

Resistances

0 Bug
0 Dark
0 Electric
0 Fighting
1 Fire
0 Flying
0 Ghost
0 Grass
1 Ice
0 Normal
0 Poison
0 Psychic
0 Steel
1 Water

Immunities

0 Electric
0 Ghost
0 Ground
0 Psychic
0 Water

Heliolisk
Houndoom
Armaldo
Thundurus-Therian
Alakazam(-Mega)/Espeon/Gothitelle/Mew

Let's find the possible type combinations:
Electric is strong against: Water, Flying
Obviously Grass-Type moves are strong against Water-Type Pokémon...

And Fire-, Ice- and Water-Type attacks are all resisted by a Water-Type Pokémon too. That was difficult x_x
Except that we need an additional Steel-Type resistance for a pure Water-Type Pokémon. R.I.P.

I had a brief chat with PMJ on Skype:
I'm almost done with Name That Team n_n
[08/04/2015 23:44:36] Celever: I've only got to find one more Pokémon
[08/04/2015 23:44:42] Celever: so it all depends on whether it exists
[08/04/2015 23:45:19] PMJ: lay it on me
[08/04/2015 23:46:13] Celever: Heliolisk, Houndoom, Armaldo, Thundurus-Therian and Alakazam(-Mega)/Espeon/Gothitelle/Mew
[08/04/2015 23:46:29] Celever: the Psychic-Type will be either two or three members depending on what tier the last Pokémon is
[08/04/2015 23:46:43] Celever: so we're within your three guess limit rn
[08/04/2015 23:47:12] Celever: I'm just figuring out the possible type combinations for the last Pokémon now
[08/04/2015 23:47:48] Celever: oh, it's water
[08/04/2015 23:47:49] Celever: obviously
[08/04/2015 23:47:50] Celever: lmao
[08/04/2015 23:48:27] PMJ: you have two. the rest are wrong
[08/04/2015 23:48:45] Celever: .___.
[08/04/2015 23:48:54] Celever: but...
[08/04/2015 23:49:06] Celever: alright, thanks for telling me
[08/04/2015 23:49:22] Celever: I was sure that was the only possibility...
[08/04/2015 23:50:07] PMJ: ask for help in thread. it's no fun to do everything yourself.
[08/04/2015 23:50:37] Celever: well Reinforce is working on it too sometimes
[08/04/2015 23:50:45] Celever: we know that Heliolisk and Houndoom are correct I think
[08/04/2015 23:50:56] Celever: so everything I've done today is wrong
[08/04/2015 23:52:18] PMJ: do it publicly :) and stop thinking you have to get it 100% on the first try
[08/04/2015 23:52:49] Celever: well the problem is that it's literally going to be Houndoom, Heliolisk, and 4 random guesses
[08/04/2015 23:53:05] Celever: actually
[08/04/2015 23:53:13] Celever: I might go ahead and put Seaking in the last slot
[08/04/2015 23:53:20] Celever: since that's the only other possible Electric-Type immunity
[08/04/2015 23:53:24] Celever: besides Emolga/Thundurus-Therian
[08/04/2015 23:53:28] Celever: and submit it as a guess
[08/04/2015 23:53:37] Celever: I've typed up my reasoning because I thought I was going to get it
[08/04/2015 23:53:38] Celever: but guess not >:L

So:
PMJ, we think that your team is:
Heliolisk
Houndoom
Armaldo
Thundurus-Therian
Gothitelle
Seaking

This isn't correct, but we need to see if we are right about Heliolisk and Houndoom. I really don't know if we are right now, and if not we have at least one more correct in the other 4 Pokémon.

Dry Skin Heliolisk is on the team.
Early Bird Houndoom is on the team.
Armaldo is on the team.
Thundurus Therian Forme is on the team.
Gothitelle is not on the team.
Seaking is not on the team.

Two guesses remain. I lied about how many you have right because doing this whole thing yourself is against the spirit of the game. If that's how it's going to be, then I'm not going to bother with any more rounds because it's not fun if no one except Celever wants to put forth an effort. Posting in thread lets you bounce ideas off of more people than just yourself or one other person, gives the impression that people are actually playing, and makes me feel like I'm not wasting my time by putting this game together.

Whoops, I haven't posted in here because a major company event got me busy the past week. Good thing it's done with now. Anyway, I've figured some stuff a little everyday when I could, so I'll give it here.

It looks like though, that we have similar deductions, Celever. Nice. I got Heliolisk, Houndoom, Armaldo, an Electric/Flying type, a mono-Water and a mono-Psychic. One of the problems I encountered was that the Electric-immunity could either come from Lightningrod Seaking or Electric/Flying types, and either option would strike out different specs on the list that could branch out into entirely different deduction paths, so there had to be some guesswork. The second problem was that there are so many mono-Water and mono-Psychic, not even counting tiers, and I thought we might not get it in our limited guesses. But good thing you submitted that first guess list to PMJ, and luckily we got Thundurus-Therian confirmed.

So we only have two left - a mono-Water and a mono-Psychic that can't have Levitate. Tiers are 1 OU and 1 UU.

Thanks to Gothitelle's and Seaking's elimination, our options are:

OU
1) Water - Manaphy
2) Psychic - Mew and M-Alakazam (BL)

UU
1) Water - Blastoise, M-Blastoise, Milotic, Suicune, Hydration Vaporeon, Feraligatr (BL2)
2) Psychic - Alakazam, Espeon

We only have 2 guesses left, so we need to really think over the best way to guess in a way that we'll have lesser options left.

Obviously the most difficult to trim down is if our UU Pokemon happens to be the mono-Water. That's why I believe we need to quickly confirm or eliminate Manaphy as our mono-Water. As for the Psychic, it's a little complicated with 2 options for each. If I were to make a suggestion for our next guess list, it would be:

Manaphy
Mew or M-Alakazam (it doesn't matter)

Obviously that is going to be wrong as it doesn't fit the required tiers. But I believe this could help in eliminating possibilities rather than submitting a random guess of 1 OU and 1 UU from that list.

That should give us 4 scenarios:

1) They're both correct - obviously we win the round
2) Manaphy is correct, but the Psychic is wrong - We'll be left with 2 UU Psychics to choose from, and if we really only have 1 guess left, it'll be a 50-50 chance, not too bad.
3) Manaphy is wrong, but Psychic is correct - We have uh... a 1/6 chance of getting it right with 1 remaining guess. This would be our worst-case scenario, and I'm really hoping this wouldn't be it.
4) They're both wrong - We'll have either Mew or M-Alakazam confirmed as our 1 OU and mono-Psychic type (depending on who we submitted of the two), and then like in scenario 3 we'll have to deal with the literal pool of UU mono-Waters. But this has potential to turn out slightly better than option 3, because in case M-Alakazam is our Psychic, that should eliminate M-Blastoise since the rules state there can only be one Mega. 1/5 is better than 1/6 chance, right? If our Psychic is Mew though, it's no different from scenario 3.

So, if it were up to me, this is how I would go about it. Of course, this is a team game, which is why I haven't made this official because there's still your opinions and suggestions. If you have a suggestion for a different guess method, especially if it were to make deduction of the last two Pokemon as easy or easier than my suggestion, post about it.

According to the OP, if a mega doesn't change the type, they aren't included on the team, so M-Alakazam is not on the team at all.

TBH, I really doubt the possibility that we have a UU water. Giving us 3 guesses maximum with 6 possibilities means that there's a 50% chance we lose and there's nothing we can do about it. Really I just want to go for Manaphy and Espeon, because Manaphy will probably be correct, and when it is either Espeon will be correct or we can just choose Alakazam.

Your method makes the most sense and anticipates all factors, sure, but there's going to be an element of luck regardless of the outcome. This way gives us a surefire win, but can also make the last round a complete guess. I can see both methods being entirely viable though, so I'm gonna let you finalise it :]

Edit: Ninja'd by Keeper, this is what I get for not hitting preview post...

This would also mean that Mega-Blastoise isn't on the team, which makes the UU Water-Type selection slightly better (1/5).

Like I said, I really want to have Manaphy confirmed or eliminated, hoping more for the former because that would mean not having to deal with choosing between 5-6 Water types. Seems we are in agreement about that. So, it's just the Psychic choice then.

If we submit Manaphy and Espeon, our scenarios would be:

1) Same
2) Our Psychic is Alakazam.
3) 5-6 UU Water choices.
4) Now here's a little possibility of why I went for my earlier suggestion: if both Manaphy and Espeon are wrong, we do get confirmation that our Water is UU... but our Psychic could still conceivably be Mew or Mega/Alakazam, who are in different tiers. But that was because earlier I thought we'd still need to run through 3 more guesses: Mew, Alakazam and M-Alakazam.

But with KoN's reminder, I think it's safer to go with Manaphy as OU and Alakazam as UU? Because if it's as he says, then should the 4th scenario happen, Alakazam's elimination should also eliminate its Mega, thereby confirming Mew as the only remaining OU Pokemon and our mono-Psychic (and subsequently eliminating Espeon). Then it's a matter of choosing from the UU Water types.

Which set (Manaphy-Espeon and Manaphy-Alakazam) would you prefer we go with for the second guess?

There's also the choice of guessing Manaphy and one of the UU Water types. If Manaphy is wrong then our OU must be Mew, then we don't need to worry about Psychic at all, and would give us the oportunity of eliminating another UU water type. Also in this scenario, it gives us a 50/50 chance of choosing the correct UU Psychic should Manaphy be right, much higher odds than the 1/4 after guessing a UU Water type. (This is similar to the scenario RF posted previously.)

So my vote goes toward choosing Manaphy and Blastoise.

Manaphy and Alakazam definitely seems like the better option here in that case. Thanks for the reminder of that rule Keeper n_n

edit: ninja'd again. On Wii U browser rn so give me time to think/type.

Keeper of Night said:
There's also the choice of guessing Manaphy and one of the UU Water types. If Manaphy is wrong then our OU must be Mew, then we don't need to worry about Psychic at all, and would give us the oportunity of eliminating another UU water type. Also in this scenario, it gives us a 50/50 chance of choosing the correct UU Psychic should Manaphy be right, much higher odds than the 1/4 after guessing a UU Water type. (This is similar to the scenario RF posted previously.)

So my vote goes toward choosing Manaphy and Blastoise.
So the three possibilities with Manaphy/Blastoise:
1) Manaphy is right, Blastoise is wrong. 50/50 between UU psychics.
2) Manaphy is wrong, Blastoise is right. 50/50 between OU psychics.
3) Manaphy is wrong, Blastoise is wrong. 50/50 between OU psychics and 1/4 with UU Waters.

Personally I'm inclined to go with Manaphy and Alakazam still. We have a coinflip with the best possible outcomes going into the next round regardless, which I'd like to avoid if at all possible. I'm still not convinced that a UU water will be in it, too.

Edit: Whoops, thought I clicked edit. Sorry for double post :x

- If a Mega Evolution does NOT change the base Pokemon's type, it will not be part of the team unless its ability changes its type matchups.

From the OP. If this is the case, then I think KoN might be on to something with the Manaphy and Blastoise guess. For the 3rd scenario, it indeed makes our Psychic to be automatically Mew because the choice list should have been...

OU
1) Water - Manaphy
2) Psychic - Mew

... only.

So the scenarios become:
1) Manaphy is right, Blastoise is wrong. 50/50 between UU psychics.
2) Manaphy is wrong, Blastoise is right. Mew is the Psychic.
3) Manaphy is wrong, Blastoise is wrong. Mew is the Psychic and 1/4 with UU Waters.

From a logical standpoint, this'll gives us better odds going into the third guess. What say you, Celever?

Btw, who's going to officially submit the second guess list?

Hmm OK, it makes sense I suppose.

PMJ, we think your team is:
Houndoom
Armaldo
Thundurus-Therian
Heliolisk
Blastoise
Manaphy

Blastoise is not on the team.

One guess remains.

50/50 on Psychics then. Much better than the chance on Water.
Since it really is the same chance either way, I'll go ahead and make the guess.

PMJ, we think your team is:
Houndoom
Armaldo
Thundurus-Therian
Heliolisk
Manaphy
Espeon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back