Status
Not open for further replies.

PMJ

Silhouette Gloom of the Sundown Lands
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
It's back--again--by popular demand because I want it to be, AGAIN, AGAIN: NAME THAT TEAM :>

How to play
Using a list of a team's tier placements, weaknesses, resistances, and immunities, determine the members of that team.

Team Selection Guidelines

1. Smogon tiers only. http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/tags/
- Pokemon will only be chosen from the following tiers: Uber, Overused (OU), Underused (UU), Rarelyused (RU), and/or Neverused (NU).
-- For the purposes of this game, treat BL3 Pokemon as RU, BL2 Pokemon as UU, and BL Pokemon as OU.
- For the purposes of this game, every Pokemon's Dream World ability is viable for selection, even if it hasn't officially been released.

2. Teams will always have six Pokemon. If a Mega Pokemon is present on the team, there will only be one. Mega Pokemon will not always be on the team.

3. Species clause is in effect.

4. Once a Pokemon has been correctly guessed, it must be included in all future guesses for those guesses to be considered legit. If any previously revealed team member is not in the current guess, the entire guess will be marked wrong.

5. You get three guesses max. If you don't guess all six members correctly within three guesses, I win.

6. Guesses must be properly formatted to be counted as a guess. See below.

How to guess

Put this anywhere in your post:

PMJ, we think this is your team:

Poke1

Then I will reply with which Pokemon, if any, are part of the team, and relay how many guesses you guys have left.

Misc. tips

1. For the purposes of this game, a weakness is any type that does at least 150% damage or more. Conversely, a resistance is any type that does 50% damage or less. An immunity, obviously, is any type that does no damage.
- A Pokemon with Dry Skin is considered to be weak to Fire.

2. This is a team game, and the teams are everyone vs. me. Work together. You can use any research you like in your search for answers.

3. If a Pokemon has a double weakness to a type, it will be listed only once.
- ex. A team of Butterfree, Ledian, Yanmega, Beautifly, Vivillon, and Mega Pinsir would only show 6 Rock weaknesses, not 12.

4. If a Pokemon has two Mega Evolutions, you must distinguish between the two if you believe it is part of the team.
- If a Mega Evolution changes the base Pokemon's type, it will be treated as the Mega Evolution's type in the team specs (so Mega Mewtwo X would be listed as weak to Flying).
- If a Mega Evolution does NOT change the base Pokemon's type, it will not be part of the team unless its ability changes its type matchups.

5. Each team member will have a specific ability, the same as if you were actually building this team. Keep that in mind when determining weaknesses and resistances. A Ninetales with Flash Fire is immune to Fire, but one with Drought is not.

6. Don't look at competitive viability when figuring out team members. If you figure out Drought Ninetales is on the team, don't start looking for Chlorophyll sweepers and sun abusers because chances are you won't find them. Team members are pretty much chosen arbitrarily.

7. Post freely. The point is to work together, so you can post whatever you want. Not every post has to be a guess.

And that's pretty much it. Once the round ends, I post new team specs and the game begins anew.

Can you Name That Team?

Team 1 solution: Diancie / Glalie / Mega Venusaur / Hydreigon / Breloom / Drifblim
Team 2 solution: Malamar / Delphox / Mega Audino / Beedrill / Seismitoad / Fighting Arceus

Here are the specs for round 3:

Tiers

2 OU
1 UU
2 RU
1 NU

Weaknesses

1 Bug
1 Dark
1 Electric
2 Fighting
1 Fire
1 Ghost
1 Grass
2 Ground
1 Ice
3 Rock
1 Steel
2 Water

Resistances

1 Bug
1 Dark
1 Electric
2 Fighting
2 Fire
2 Flying
1 Ghost
2 Grass
2 Ice
1 Normal
1 Poison
1 Psychic
4 Steel
1 Water

Immunities

1 Electric
1 Ghost
1 Ground
1 Psychic
1 Water

RE: Name That Team

Could be a pokemon like sableye too... Or there's another dark type!

Definitely a ghost somewhere there
Definitely a fairy somewhere
Definitley a dark type somewhere
2 levitate users/ or flying types

Okay, good.

Start with what you do know. Try to eliminate multiple weaknesses and resistances with a single Pokemon. The tiers are a good way to start; if you can nail down any of the non-OU Pokemon, the rest may fall into place a lot easier.

Im gonna look through NU and see what I can find

@PMJ: are there NFE evolved
Pokemon? For example haxorus and Fraxure are both technically within the specs you set out!

Any Pokemon that is found in the tier is a valid selection for the team.

There is most likely one levitate user and 1 flying type, due to their being two ground immunities, but only 1 electric weakness

Celever said:
PMJ, do we have 5 guesses per person or in general?

In general. You guys are allowed to suggest Pokemon to each other "I think x is on the team" without having it count as a guess. Only guesses that are in the proper format will be replied to and counted as actual guesses.

This is what I came up with; Gengar, Diance, Kyurem-B, Rotom-Mow, Sharpedo, Vileplume

Now the only thing wrong with it I can see is that there are only two Ice weaknesses, just putting this out there if anyone can think of something to fix or if we should submit to see what we got right/not right.

Do PU Pokemon count as NU?

I think there's a mistake. There are no Fighting resists and neither Ghost nor Poison immunities so the Fairy must be Diancie or Carbink, but there are also no Normal resists, so...

Oh. Whoops. Cinesra confirmed for not just a pleb

The Normal immunity should be a resistance.

Cool that means no ghosts and either diancie or carbink!

Wait!!! What would have a fighting
Immunity that is not a ghost!?

Okay, I lied. The Normal immunity was correct. I just forgot to write down the resistance too.

I tried your list ata but replaced sharpedo with honchkrow to account for your missing ice weakness I then had a problem with fighting type weaknesses because there needs to be two but only kyuremb is weak.

I also found another issue with your six, and that is that there needs to be two rock weaknesses. Replacing sharpdo with honckrow fixes that, however with sharpedo there's only one rock weakness.

To have a Poison weakness without Fairies, one must have a Grass type. To have a Grass type without a Ground resistance, one must have Rotom-Cut/Mow, Cradily, Carnivine, Jumpluff, Tropius, or Ferrothorn/seed. The only one of these without a Steel, Fighting, or Normal resistance is Carnivine. Carnivine being NU makes Diancie our Rock/Fairy type.

There also must be a Ghost, Dark, Dragon, and Ice type. Ghost and Dark can't be combined iirc. There are no Steel, Rock, Ground, nor Normal types. There are no Electric types because we have no Steel resists nor NU Pokemon besides Carnivine. There are no Bug types because the only Bug Pokemon that don't resist Fighting are ones that resist Normal. If we have a Flying type it's Mandibuzz, or Honchkrow because no Fighting or Normal resists and no more NU Pokemon.

After Diancie and Carnivine, we're left with the following:
2 OU
1 UU
1 RU
0 NU

Weaknesses

2 Ice
2 Fighting
1 Flying
2 Rock
1 Steel
2 Psychic
2 Fairy
1 Fire
1 Ghost
1 Electric
1 Dragon
1 Dark

Resistances

3 Grass
2 Water
2 Electric
2 Dark
1 Bug
1 Fire
1 Poison
1 Rock
1 Ghost
1 Ice
1 Fairy

Immunities

1 Ground
I'll figure out other stuff tomorrow.

There is a Ground resistance. I swear to god, that's the last time I use some shitty third-party joke site for my w/r chart.

OK, I've just spent a while playing around with this and while I haven't found a solution, I've found 5 Pokémon who collaboratively do a lot of types:
Diancie
Shiftry
Gengar
Staraptor
Kyurem

It seems clear at this point that Diancie, Gengar and Kyurem are on this team. We need a Flying-Type, but we don't have a Fighting-Type resistance, which means that the Flying-Type also has to have a secondary typing weak to fighting. The obvious choice is Staraptor. This types that are left are:
Weaknesses:
1 Steel
1 Psychic

Resistances:
1 Dark
1 Fire
1 Poison
1 Rock
1 Ice

The tier is NU.

This obviously isn't the solution, but I thought it could be useful progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back