Writing Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Version Zero) (Complete)

Tsomu (Idc what his last name is, as long as it's not stupid) is a 19 year old boy. He wears all black, with white hair (dyed). He tends to think poorly of himself, and thus is considered depressed by many. However, he is able to talk his way out of many situations, which he enjoys doing. It provides him with something to do, and if it works out, it makes him feel good that he can get what he wants through his tricky talking skills. He finds Pokémon as another hobby he enjoys, he loves to battle. While he has not encountered any of his Pokémon in an epic way- Dialga excluded, he has very strong relationships with his Pokémon. They are his best friends, and he would do anything for them.

(I know you've already started writing, but it's fine with whatever you have, please do not change it. However, for further things with Tsomu, please try to make this fit in with him. Thanks! :))

Chapter 1 highlights:

- multiple combatants are introduced; rest are at least mentioned
- more information on Safiri and Ruby
- a new character is introduced
- Quayle and Rose have their match
- it's friggin dope

Please enjoy and leave feedback. If I've messed with your character, are you happy with the direction I'm taking it? If I haven't, are there any important character details or personality traits that you want me to try and incorporate into the story? I have a general idea for most characters I haven't written, so you can try your luck and see if we match like I did with Athena and NotJim ;D

Word count: 12,440

Chapter 1: The Many Strands of Fate

Morning came early for Jethro Duffy.

It always did. Ever since he was a kid, he'd never been able to sleep more than a few hours a night. He tried sleep aids, but they didn't help much. He tried both forcing himself to sleep and staying up for as long as he could, but his body would always jolt him into consciousness after just a few hours of rest. Eventually, he accepted that this was his lot in life. If he was going to be awake for nineteen hours a day, he might as well make the most of them.

He looked at the clock on his bedside table. Four-thirty. Heh. Right on time, he mused. He stretched for what felt like forever, waking up his muscles and telling them that, like it or not, it was time to start the day. He reluctantly extracted himself from the warm covers and stood, pausing for a moment to let the dizziness pass. He rubbed the hair from his eyes and headed to the bathroom to get started on his day.

Jethro flicked the light on, temporarily blinding him in the one green eye he had left. He looked at his shirtless form in the mirror, his gaze moving immediately to the large scar across his chest where the skin had been grafted on. Swear this damn thing's getting bigger every day... He continued looking himself over, and wasn't too unhappy with what he saw. On the one hand, he wasn't as cut as Thresher, but on the other, he didn't have Lenny's gut, and Jethro was thankful that at least he had all his hair. He ran a hand through it to emphasize this point, an unkempt mess of fire red hair that reached about to his shoulders. He kept telling himself to get it cut, but the devil on his shoulder made the argument that it was just going to grow back anyway, so he might as well just save the money. Besides, Jethro thought as he turned the shower on and got inside, ain't like I got anyone to impress.

Prince wouldn't judge him. Never did, never would. Jethro smiled, thinking of his most trusted companion of over a decade, to whom he owed his life. That boy was definitely faithful, through and through. He didn't care that Jethro wasn't a typical trainer - he barely trained, and rarely caught anything. On the rare occasions that he did, he usually released it within a week because he felt bad for keeping it when he wasn't going to put it to good use. But there was a bond between Jethro and Prince that superseded any unwritten rule about training. In Prince's eyes, Jethro was Jethro, and that was enough.

He washed his hair. What was the point of badges, anyway? If your bond with your Pokemon is deep enough, if the trust between the two of you is strong enough, anyone could go far. That was Jethro's creed as he wandered his way through life, seeing the world and building stronger relationships with his Pokemon. Most folks were shocked after they'd challenged him to a battle and wound up dominated, especially rookie trainers who'd jumped on the chance at a free win after he informed them that he hadn't had a single badge to his name.

He picked up a second bottle, next to the shampoo they'd provided, and puzzled over it. Conditioner? The hell was that? He shook his head and chuckled as he returned it and reached for his loofah and body wash, taking a moment to appreciate exactly where he was. The Pokemon League. Only the best of the best were permitted to battle here, and here he was, a nobody with one eye and no badges, about to share the stage with kids who were arguably more deserving than he was. Well, what about the preliminaries? he argued with himself as he scrubbed. That was a thousand some-odd people, and you won.

Doesn't matter. Everyone else did the same thing,
he argued back.

They're career trainers. You ain't. The fact that you ain't never so much as set foot in a Gym but still handed them their asses with all the trimmings is proof that badges and leagues ain't everything.

That was a hard point to rebut, so he just kept washing. Jethro had only decided to sign up for the tournament after he and Prince saw a commercial advertising it on TV. He noticed the way Prince looked at the television as they showed footage of previous battles. Prince hadn't said anything, of course, but Jethro signed up anyway, figuring he'd do it as a way to say thank you for saving his life and being there for him through thick and thin.

He didn't think he'd get this far.

Jethro had never considered himself "good" at Pokemon battles. He knew basics like type matchups, but he trusted his Pokemon to make most of the decisions in the heat of the battle. After all, if a split-second decision needed to be made, he didn't want his Pokemon to suffer thanks to him not being able to spout off a command in time. He'd expected to maybe win a few rounds and then go home, hoping that would be enough to satisfy Prince's desire to compete. But then he kept winning. And before Jethro knew it, he'd won the entire thing. Now he was here, about to go toe to toe with the best trainers in the world.

Fate sure was something, huh.

After he was done, dried, and dressed, he decided to get some training in. After all, it was barely past 5, so he had plenty of time before breakfast. He grabbed his Poke Balls and headed for the practice wing, but he could hear a ruckus even in the hallway. "Looks like someone had the same idea as me," Jethro muttered as he approached the door that lead into the main area. It was a huge room divided into several smaller areas reserved for Pokemon battles.

"That's good, Araquanid, keep it up! Primarina, dodge just like we practiced!"

In the distance, Jethro could see a young man commanding two of his Pokemon, but all he could focus on was the giant SPIDER BUG. He froze in place, unable to hear anything but the click-click of the Pokemon's six long, spindly legs as he moved across the field. He made horrifying gurgling noises and muffled screeches as it leapt at the Primarina, trying to land a solid hit. Primarina scooted around and used his fins to bash the spider away, but he was still unable to fend off Araquanid's assault. Once he saw Primarina flinch and yelp in pain, Araquanid went for it. He leapt onto Primarina, tearing into him with bites and slashes, and it wasn't long before the trainer stopped the battle.

"Okay, guys, that's enough! Araquanid, that was great work! I can see you've improved a lot since last time. Take a good, long rest," he said, returning the spawn of hell into his Poke Ball. Primarina noticed Jethro, his face a stunned look of abject terror, standing near the entrance, and pointed him out to the young man. He turned, saw Jethro, and waved. "Yo! You okay, man?"

"...bug," Jethro said. "B-bug. Big-ass bug."

The Primarina trainer walked over to Jethro and physically shook him. "Hey! You all right?"

Jethro snapped out of his daze. "What? Oh. Damn. Sorry. I didn't mean to barge in on ya," he said.

The young man waved his hand in dismissal. "Not a problem. Name's Cody," he said, offering his hand, which Jethro took. "Primarina and I were just doing some early morning speed training. Right, partner?"

Primarina smiled, barking in approval.

Jethro smiled. "Jethro Duffy. I saw her moving around. Looks pretty quick to me."

"Him," Cody corrected. "My Primarina is male." Jethro cocked an eyebrow, glancing over at Primarina. As if to confirm his suspicions, Primarina nodded. "I know, Primarina looks super feminine, yeah? I wanted one as a kid. A female one," he clarified. "I told my folks, but they weren't too keen on their only son becoming a trainer."

"Heh. I hear that," Jethro said knowingly. "I didn't get my first Pokemon until I was twelve. If I even so much as thought about becoming a trainer, they'd tan my hide."

Cody laughed. "Yeah, same here. My folks were both scientists, so they frequently had the opportunity to travel the globe and drag me along with them. Everything I learned about Pokemon was from books or TV shows, yeah? It wasn't until they disappeared that I decided to become a trainer so I could defend myself in case it happened again."

This piqued Jethro's interest. "They disappeared? What do you mean, they disappeared?"

"That's just it," Cody said, crossing his arms. "No one knows what happened to them. We were out in Wela Volcano Park and got jumped by a wild Salazzle. My parents were brilliant, but trainers they ain't. It took down their Pokemon easily and wanted to make me lunch. I turned around and ran, screaming and crying until I had no strength left. I ended up passing out in a cave somewhere. I don't know what happened to them after that. They never came and got me, and I couldn't find them. Wouldn't be surprised if that Salazzle killed them, yeah? It was vicious." His face sobered. "I can still remember the smell of my clothes burning from that Salazzle's attack. I can still hear its screech in my ears while it most likely ended my parents. I'll never forget either of those things. So I've dedicated my life to raising Water Pokemon. I won't be caught off guard by a Fire Pokemon ever again."

Jethro could relate. He absently rubbed the scar on his chest, and wondered if he should tell Cody about his run-in with a Houndoom, but decided against it. He wasn't looking for a pity party, and talking about it wouldn't heal it. Besides, he had a more obvious disability that people were always curious about. "So..." Cody trailed off. "What's with the eye patch?" Heh. Right on cue.

"A Beedrill got me in the face when I was a kid," Jethro said simply. "Lost my eye. Hate, hate, hate them damn things."

"You're scared of Bug Pokemon?" Cody couldn't help but snicker, but Primarina smacked him with a fin. "Ow! Okay, you're right, I shouldn't laugh. I'm sorry I made light of your injury," he apologized.

Jethro brushed it off. "Don't worry about it. It was a long time ago, and it ain't you that done it. I've come to terms with it, and with people askin' about it."

"So when you came in and saw my Araquanid, you - ooh, wow, that probably brought back some bad memories, yeah?"

Again, Jethro brushed it off. "Yeah, but that's all they are. Memories. They can be scary, but they don't define me as a person or as a trainer, just as you shouldn't let yours define you. You tellin' me that you're happy raising only Water Pokemon?"

"Yes," Cody said defiantly. Who was this guy to question him?

But Jethro didn't get mad. He looked him over, sighed, and nodded. "All right then. That's your path. You walk it with your head held high. There's more than one way to be a trainer, same as there's more than one way to deal with your fears. If your path changes in the future, that's fine too - long as you're the one doin' the changin'. You get me?"

Cody considered Jethro's words. "I used to hate the fact that my Primarina was male. When I was a teenager, I got made fun of so much because of it. I considered looking up a breeder so I could get a female one, but what kind of person would I be if I abandoned my Pokemon just because it had the wrong sex? Especially after everything we'd been through? I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror," he said, looking at his Primarina. "So yeah, I get you. I'm not going to let anyone tell me what I can and can't raise. Like you said, my own path, yeah?"

A knock was heard, and a young boy entered. He was a scrawny thing with hair of icy blue, with bangs in desperate need of a trim. When he brushed his hair out of his eyes, Jethro noticed his hand was covered in a huge rash. Noticing Cody, he perked up. "Good morning, Mr. Cody! Would you like to have a battle with me?"

Cody shook his head. "Not me, Kyro. My Pokemon are still a little roughed up and I'd like to let them rest."

The boy turned his big, light blue eyes towards Jethro. "What about you, mister? Will you practice with me?"

Jethro nodded. He'd spent so much time yapping that he almost forgot what he came here for. "Sure, kid." The boy bounded over to him and held out his hand, which Jethro shook. He was surprised at the boy's grip - not that it was strong, but that he had one at all. "Name's Jethro."

Kyro's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. "Oh! Mr. Jethro! I'm Kyro, from Phenac City. I'm your first round opponent!"

Oh yeah. That. Jethro had seen the name, but he couldn't put it to a face. He didn't know much about him. Phenac City? Never heard of it. "That right? Well, I hope to give you some good practice."

"Me too. Thank you for training with me!" He ran to one side of the room, Poke Ball already in hand. Jethro couldn't help but admire Kyro's enthusiasm as he visibly bounced in place, clearly excited to start. "What are the rules for the battle?"

"Let's just do one on one, yeah?" Jethro replied. "Keep things simple."

Kyro brushed his hair out of his eyes again. "Yeah, okay! I'll show you guys my favorite Pokemon! Let's go, Archeops!"

Jethro studied his opponent's Pokemon. Archeops was damn strong and damn fast. He could defeat him, but he'd have to wear him down. He carefully selected a Poke Ball, held it out. "Let's do it, Ennis." The Luxray was down in a flash, glaring fiercely at Archeops. She was unnerved, but not by much. "You be careful, Ennis. Don't get complacent, you hear?" The Pokemon nodded, ready for anything.

Kyro was on cloud nine. This is what he lived for. The thrill of battle, you and your Pokemon acting as one in order to achieve victory. "Head Smash, Archeops! Take her down in one hit!" Archeops was across the field in a flash, colliding with Luxray before either she or Jethro could react. Both Pokemon were sent tumbling, crashing into the wall with a loud thud. Jesus, that bird was fast! Immediately, Luxray pounced onto the bird, biting into his stony neck with Thunder Fang, but Kyro was unfazed. "Use Dragon Tail, then Roost!"

Archeops's tail glowed bright and swung hard into Luxray's stomach, sending her high into the air. Archeops scrambled his way to the other side of the arena and landed on a nearby platform as Luxray landed with a thud. Jethro cringed - that was going to leave a mark. "All right, all right, that's it, I concede," Jethro called. He knelt down to his Pokemon, stroked her fur. "Damn, Ennis. That thing did a number on you, huh?" Luxray groaned, managed a nod. "You did good, sweetie. Get some rest. I'll get you patched up." He returned Luxray to her Poke Ball, stood up, and went to congratulate the winner. "That's some Pokemon you got there, Kyro."

Kyro beamed. "Thanks, Mr. Jethro! Your Pokemon is awesome, too. You didn't even command it! That's really cool. I wish the bond with my Pokemon was that powerful... But wow, your Luxray is so strong! It's been a long time since I've seen a Pokemon get back up after one of Archeops's Head Smash attacks. I'm going to have to practice really hard so I can win! You train too, okay, Mr. Jethro?" He was grinning so hard that Jethro thought his face was going to stick like that.

"You bet, kid," he said. "I'm gonna have to if I want to stand any chance of winning against you and Archeops."

Kyro held out his hand, and Jethro shook it. "Great! See you at breakfast, Mr. Jethro and Mr. Cody!" and practically flew out of the room.

Jethro sighed. "Kid's got some strong Pokemon."

"You don't know the half of it," Cody said. "I talked to him a bit at dinner last night. He came all the way from Orre just to participate, and he didn't use anything in his preliminary matches except Archeops. He said the only reason he has three Pokemon with him is because he had to. 'That's silly! Why do I have to bring three if all I need is one?'" he said, mimicking the young lad's voice.

Jethro raised an eyebrow. "You serious?"

"Dead serious," Cody explained. "I don't know what his other Pokemon are and I'm afraid to find out. If they're anywhere near as strong as his Archeops, you might as well stick a fork in us, 'cause we're done."

Jethro mulled over Cody's words. Yeah, that bird was strong, but any Pokemon could be beaten. He was still confident Ennis was his best bet, but brute forcing it was obviously not going to work. Jethro's mind was racing with strategies as he and Cody headed to the healing machine to get their Pokemon fixed.

All in all, it promised to be a very interesting week.

While others slept, and others trained, Quayle spent his early morning on the phone. He was pacing around his room, dialing numbers into his cell phone. He looked at the clock. 7:15. She was definitely up by now. He put the phone to his ear, listened nervously as it rang. She was up, right? Of course she was. She was always up at this time. But that was back when she ran the Gym. He hung up the phone before it could go to voice mail. Why didn't she pick up? Okay, that was a dumb question. He knew why she didn't pick up; he just didn't want to accept it.

Quayle fell onto his bed, stared at the ceiling, and sighed. A fine mess he was in. Candice wasn't speaking to him, Nye was mad at him, and worst of all, his match was first of the day. He was hoping to scout out the talent and see if there was anyone who'd be willing to join his cause. He examined the Absolite that he always wore around his neck. It seemed to shimmer in the light. "Bad can be good," he said, pondering its meaning. Maybe it was related to Palkia and Dialga's escape? That was definitely bad. They'd destroyed the lab, set Team Galactic back weeks, and cost them millions. Still, the fact that Quayle had escaped with his life and that destroying the lab was all the two vengeful escaped gods did was undoubtedly good. He definitely got off easy.

He would find them again. He had to, so he could finally exact revenge on Team Galactic for what they did to his town. They were the reason he took it upon himself to infiltrate their organization, ascend their ranks, and take them down from the inside using the very creatures Cyrus had hoped to control. It would have been the perfect revenge, but all of that was impossible now. Dialga and Palkia were gone off to who knows where, he couldn't go back home to Celestic Town, and the two women he cared about most in the world were more pissed than a cranky Groudon getting an enema. Back to square one.

He needed to make amends. He'd... apologize, he decided with a heavy sigh. At least to Candice. She was the light of his life; the apple of his eye; the cream in his coffee. He supposed he could be thankful that she hadn't broken up with him for real. That meant she still loved him, so not all hope was lost. He didn't want to entertain the idea of losing her, but the rational part of his mind demanded that he did. She didn't know enough that could put him away, but she knew he was part - formally part - of Team Galactic. They'd had a huge fight and then, in a moment of true genius, called off their engagement. Suggested they break up. The second he'd seen the look of shock and hurt on her face, he knew he'd made a mistake, but the damage was done. He immediately took it back, but she just packed a bag and left without saying a word.

Why couldn't she just suck it up and join him while he crushed his former bosses? Women had to make things so damn difficult.

No, Quayle chastised himself, don't think like that. She loves you. You're going to be together. This is just a minor setback. You'll call her, and apologize, and... and what? Ask her again? It was worth a shot. She'd had at least a day to calm down, right? Yeah, you'll call her, she'll be so happy to hear from you that she'll be more than willing to join Team... uh... Something-or-Other. All right, so at some point, come up with a name, but for now, focus on Candice! Pick up that phone and dial!

And so Quayle did just that. He held the phone to his ear, and an agitated voice picked it up before the first ring ended. "What do you want?"

And the angels descended from the heavens: their voices like silk in his ears. Oh, his ice queen, how he missed her so! The sound of her voice, The curve of her chin, the shape of her--

"Quayle."

Snap out of it! "Candice. Hi," Quayle said. "How are you doing?"

"Fine. What do you want?"

Uh oh. This wasn't right. This wasn't right at all! "Uh... I um..."

"I don't have time for this. I'm going to let you go. I've got tons of deliveries today."

"Wait!" he pleaded, bolting upright in his bed. "I tried calling yesterday, but you didn't pick up, so I'm just trying again today. I just wanted to tell you I got here and settled in okay."

"Okay."

Quayle deflated. Who was he kidding? Of course she was still mad at him. He deserved every bit of her hatred. "I also wanted to tell you that my match is today."

"I know. They were announced late last night. Anything else?"

"I love you."

"I meant besides that."

"...no."

"Okay. Do your best. Bye, Quayle."

And then she was gone.

"Stupid, stupid, STUPID!" he screamed, virtually leaping out of bed and hurling his phone at the wall. Of all the stupid, moronic, idiotic things... you had one chance to try and fix things and you choked. Great job, smart guy!

He decided to drown his sorrows with food. Resigned to his fate, Quayle got dressed and headed for the cafeteria.

As soon as Quayle walked through the door, his senses were assaulted by several aromas coming from the kitchen, and from the food that had been set out already. His stomach growled audibly as he took in the sight of so many different foods: flaky pastries drizzled with icing, sausages of all shapes and sizes, and trays of delicious-looking fruit, some of which Quayle didn't recognize, made his mouth water. A man backed out through the kitchen door, holding two large trays filled with pancakes of different colors; he was followed by a Ribombee, holding another tray filled with bottles of some kind of liquid. Syrup, maybe? "Set it down right over here, Bae," he said, placing the trays on an empty spot on one of the many tables being used to hold food. The Pokemon complied, chirping happily as she did so. Quayle recognized the man as one of the competitors... Soma? Ssssssomething? Whatever his name was, the food he was carrying smelled and looked delicious.

"Mornin', Quayle," he said in passing, on his way back to the kitchen. "Help yourself! Try Bae's Pollen Puff Pancakes. They're out of this world!" Ribombee voiced a cry of what Quayle assumed was agreement, and the two disappeared into the kitchen.

Quayle didn't ever remember introducing himself to the white-haired young man, but he wasn't about to refuse his offer. He looked the pancakes over. They looked regular enough, except they were in seemingly every color of the rainbow, and there were slightly bumpy in some places. Deciding to try some of the purple ones, he grabbed some silverware and used it to transfer a stack of them to his plate. His gaze drifted to the tray of bottles that Ribombee had placed next to it. They, too, were filled with varying colors of liquid. He picked up one of the bottles to judge its consistency. It felt heavy in his hand and the cerulean blue liquid inside moved around slowly. Yeah, probably syrup. But what flavors were they?

"That one's Bluk syrup," a voice behind him said. It was the white-haired man again, complete with a few more trays of food. "It's, like, really sweet, but we've added a blend of Rawst and Pomeg Berries to counteract the sweetness. If you're going to use it on those, try, uh... ah. Here. Ganlon pepper," he said, handing Quayle a small jar. "Should help balance things out."

"Right. Uh, thanks, uh..."

"Tsomu. And this is Bae," he said, pointing towards the bug on his shoulder. "I hope you like her pancakes. We've been trying to perfect the recipe for some time now. Those chefs, man, they really know their stuff! One of them just came down with a nasty cold, so they're a little short on help. I asked if I could help. They said no, of course, until I worked some of my Tsomu magic and..."

He trailed off as Quayle unceremoniously turned and left, planting himself at a far table. He didn't care about Soma or his bug. He barely cared about the food in front of him, but as he was still a mere mortal, he needed to tend to matters of the flesh. He said a quick prayer to Lord Darkrai, dug a fork in, and ate.

Slowly, the other contestants filed in, anxious to sample the fruits of the chefs' labor. Frisk showed up at 8:00 on the nose, despite Chara's insistence that they arrive early. Scarlet and Rose shared advice and stories as they ate, enjoying each other's company and discussing strategy for Rose's battle. Nye ate alone, politely refusing Windra's invitation to join her and Kiria at their table, and not so politely refusing Eldan's invitation to join him in his bed later. Lenny and Thresher chatted with Safiri, Ruby, and another woman with bright green hair, while Alex argued with Tsomu and the chefs about not preparing the special list of food he'd given them the night before. The morning's battle group ate together at another table, and old man Taikyu was last, purposefully taking his time and allowing the youngsters a chance to get their fill.

After everyone had finished eating, Safiri went into more details about the tournament, reminding them that their battles would televised on all major networks and performed live in front of more than fifty thousand fans, which were piling in the stadium as they spoke. They were not to give interviews before or after the match, and those not participating would be able to watch the matches on closed-circuit TV from their rooms. She then introduced the green-haired woman as Esmeralda, the referee. She had a similar face as Safiri and Ruby - okay, they had to be triplets or something - but her eyes and hair were both the same vibrant shade of emerald green. Unlike Safiri, who let her luxurious dark blue hair flow freely down her back, and Ruby, who opted long ago for short hair, using copious amounts of gel and bleach to achieve red frosted tips, Esmeralda bunched her massive hair up, using two large pins to keep it in place; a single long braid poked out, snaking its way down her back, ending just above shapely rear. And though she was wearing a suit, everyone could tell that her shirt was struggling to contain a pair of massive breasts, large enough to make Kiria look like Windra in comparison. This was their ref? Eldan practically fell out of his chair trying to get a better look.

Esmeralda explained the six battlefields and showed images of each one, and how they would be randomly selected for each match. Manually switching out Pokemon would be allowed, but no more than three times per battle per player; and a player would be disqualified if they exceeded this limit or were more than ten minutes late to their match. Teams would be shared with their opponents before the battle, where they would lock in their choice for lead Pokemon. She showed all the players a diagram of the trainers' platform where they'd be standing; each was equipped with a microphone that would allow their commands to be heard by the crowd as well - a separate button was present that they could use to talk to their Pokemon if they were underwater on the water field. The platform also featured a screen with a feed from every camera on the battlefield that could be enlarged so trainers could keep a closer eye on their Pokemon if they were out of view. Her voice was like honey, sweet and delectable, and it was hard to understand why someone who would be better suited as a model would be officiating. Esmeralda wished the players luck, especially to Rose, Quayle, Taikyu, and Thresher, and the three ladies to finalize details with the staff upstairs to ensure the tournament was ready to begin.

Scarlet sipped some juice. "Are you nervous?"

Rose shook her head. "No, not really... well, maybe a little. Even after winning a ten-round tournament, I still feel a bit out of my element, you know? This isn't really my scene, but I've gotten somewhat used to it." She was wearing a light blue tank top and running shorts, and her Ranger hat sat faithfully atop her head like it always did. She'd opted to tie her hair up. It was summer in Kanto, so she'd made sure to pack light clothes. She took a large sip of her own beverage. She looked around the room, looking to see if Quayle was in earshot. He was across the room, a good twenty-five to thirty feet away, but she whispered anyway. She leaned in closer, allowing Scarlet a sinful peek at Rose's barely-there cleavage. She averted her eyes upward before she got busted. Rose smiled a half-smile, and said, "I think I'm going to lead with Gardevoir. She has a pretty wide variety of attacks, so hopefully she should be able to handle anything he throws at me."

Scarlet leaned in to whisper her reply. She regretted wearing a T-shirt, as she actually had a modest amount of cleavage to show off, but she still wasn't entirely certain Rose was into women. Rose hadn't made a pass at her last night, but... maybe she was being nice. At least she got a hug out of it. "Nye said his ace is Absol, so that's probably a good choice."

Rose sat back in her chair, puzzled. "Nye told you? When?"

"Last night after dinner. She just started rambling about how frustrated she was with Quayle, then apologized for her 'transgression,'" Scarlet said, emphasizing the word with air quotes. Now it was her turn to lean forward conspiratorially. "You think they're, y'know... together?"

Rose put a hand to her chest, feigning shock. "Why, Ranger Jung! It is unbecoming of a Ranger to spread rumors." A second later, and there was that smile that made Scarlet's heart skip a beat. She glanced around, then nodded. "Totally. Did you see them walking together when we got here? Quayle got off the boat and the second Safiri stopped talking, he made a beeline right for Nye."

Scarlet squealed. "I know, right? Everyone watched him do it! It's cute that she's trying to be discreet about it and he just doesn't get it. You know, I was behind them as they walked. I couldn't hear everything they said, but I did hear her call him handsome. Yeah, I know," she deadpanned after Rose scrunched her nose in reply. "I can't judge, I mean, I'm no catch myself, and owwww!"

Rose rapped her on the leg with her hand, then pointed an accusatory finger at her. "What did I say about that kind of talk? You're lovely. Stop that." She looked at the clock. "I should probably get up there, huh?"

"Yep!" Scarlet exclaimed, jumping to her feet and offering her hand to Rose, which she took. Scarlet brought Rose to her feet and let her hand linger just a little bit longer than necessary before she let it go. "You're going to do great. I'll be cheering for you." Before she could object, she pulled the senior Ranger in for a hug, which Rose happily returned.

"Thanks, Scarlet," Rose said, giving her new friend a big squeeze. "See you when I win!"

Quayle was pissed.

While he hadn't heard what Rose and Scarlet had been saying, his eyes worked just fine, and hated how chummy those two were. It was clear Scarlet was trying to impress Rose; whether Rose was either interested and being discreet or uninterested and just being nice, he didn't know and didn't care. He just wanted them to shut up about it. It made him furious that she had her own cheering section and he didn't. No, he'dessentially told his cheering section to... how did that girl put it? Ah, yes. Piss off. That was good. He'd have to remember that one. He'd called so much yesterday, and it wasn't his fault that she didn't pick up, right? Of course it wasn't. He'd given Candice plenty of opportunities to listen to his side, but she ignored them all. Then, the one time the bitch actually does pick up, she doesn't even care! She didn't even say "I love you" back! Stupid, stupid, stupid, wonderful, beautiful, amazing Candice.

He hated when she was mad at him. He didn't think that one woman could have such a profound effect on him, but there he was. Was he really willing to just let her go? I mean, there was always Lady Nye. She was pretty, but she was no Candice. Candice had a prettier face, plus her boobs were bigger. But Nye's hair was longer and fuller than Candice's, and Candice definitely lived up to the name of Ice Queen when she was mad. All Lady Nye did was talk about boring stuff like what he used to look like and how Lord Darkrai wasn't actually a deity, and how worried she was that he was going to "go Eldan" on her. What was that supposed to mean, anyway? Maybe if she tried taking off that huge-ass hat and letting some air get to her brain, she'd realize how wrong she was about everything. Neither of them were his equal intellectually, but he'd accepted that most women were far dumber than he was long ago.

He sighed. As much as he complained, he didn't really want to be with anyone other than Candice. He looked at the clock - 9:35. He'd call her quick and - ah shit, that's right, he left it in his room. At least he'd have some time to think on his way back. He got up from the table and walked - better be quick about it, he decided - out of the cafeteria and towards his room. What would he say to her? Sorry, toots, he rehearsed in his head. I didn't mean what I said. That sounds good, doesn't it? It's a start, isn't it? He hated this apologizing thing. If he never had to do it again, it'd be too soon. Quayle swiped himself into his room, and saw his phone on the ground, right where he'd left it. The back plate was cracked, and the screen was a little scuffed, but it'd live. He brought the phone out of sleep mode and was mortified at what he saw.

Five missed calls. One voicemail.

"God damn it!" he cursed, letting out a string of profanity as he verified his worst fear - all five calls were from Candice. All within ten minutes of each other. Of course they were. Last call was fifteen minutes ago. Here was the breakup call. He dialed into his mailbox, opted to listen to his new message, and braced himself to have his heart broken by his sweet angel.

"Hey, Quayle. I was hoping I could catch you before your match, but... it's okay. I have things I need to say."

Quayle gulped.

"I just... I just wanted to say I'm sorry for being rude to you this morning. I acted like a child. But you really, really hurt me with what you said.

He could practically see the tears in her eyes as she spoke, and it broke his heart.

"I'm still mad at you. Don't think I'm not. But I can be mad and love you at the same time. I'm mad at you because I love you, do you understand? I'm not happy about your past, but that's your past. As long as you're willing to look to the future with me, we'll work the rest out, okay?

Second thing. Cyrus came to my house today."

Quayle's eyes flared. That scheming, dirty, son of a bitch, if he laid one molecule on Candice he'd--

"Calm down, he didn't touch me. He just wanted me to tell you that he knows where you are and he can't wait for you to come back so he can see you again. I'm not surprised they found you, what with this tournament and all, and I know Team Galactic doesn't really have a major presence in Kanto, but please, please, please be careful. Come home to me safe. Do your best, and call me after it's over. I won't be there, but I'll be watching on TV. Win or lose, I love you, Quayle. Bye."

She did! She still loved him and still wanted to be his queen! Oh, praise Darkrai, things weren't hopeless after all! He would fight the hardest he'd ever fought and prove to Candice and the world he was the strongest trainer, with no peer or equal! He grabbed a long black silk cloth from his bag. It was something from his Admin days, and he only brought it out for special occasions. Well, this occasion was as special as they come, was it not? He was fighting for his true love and queen! He unraveled the fabric and draped it around him, using two small lengths of thread to tie it around his neck. He went into the bathroom and posed in the mirror, using his hand to simulate wind blowing his cape around. Grinning maliciously, he grabbed his Poke Balls and went to take the first step on his path to the top.

Above ground, in the stadium proper, tens of thousands of fans were sitting anxiously, waiting for the match to begin. By quarter to 10, a steady stream of people was still filing in. Safiri Kiter, immaculately groomed, in a navy blue jacket and matching skirt, spoke to a dozen different people via headset, making sure everything was still going according to plan. Her heels audibly clacked as she walked with purpose to each of her destinations, her Glaceon trotting haughtily at her side. Yes, it was good for business that so many people had come to see the tournament, but they were on a tight schedule, and delays simply were not acceptable. She made a note on her clipboard to consider moving the match time back an hour. It was too late to make the change this year, but if the preliminary numbers were correct, Diamant Industries stood to make a very large profit on this event.

This project was certainly an ambitious one; if it failed, they would never be able to pay their staff, let alone finance his dream project. The costs of advertising, renting out stadiums, security, insurance... hell, using Indigo Plateau was already going to cost them a fortune. But there were no rewards without risks, and after she'd convinced Mr. Diamant that they'd be filing for bankruptcy within a year if they didn't do it, the first contracts were struck, and the tournaments were on. Safiri used her silver tongue to get deals wherever she could, and was not above using her impressive body to help sweeten or seal the deal - a loosened button here, a flash of cleavage there, or making sure she always wore skirts in order to show off her long, lean legs. She'd ended up saving the company nearly two million dollars over the course of just one month, before the first Poke Ball was even thrown.

Safiri stepped into an office on one side of the arena, where Rose sat waiting patiently. "Hello, Miss Bersalk," Safiri said cheerfully.

"Hello again, Safiri. Good morning, Glaceon!" Rose replied, reaching down to pet the Pokemon's fur. "Is it time to start, ma'am?"

"Almost," Safiri said, glancing at her clipboard. "It's time to select your lead Pokemon. You've registered Talonflame, Lucario, and Gardevoir. Your opponent has registered Absol, Deoxys, and Octillery."

"Deoxys?" Rose asked, incredulous and wide-eyed. Suddenly, she felt a lot less confident going into her match. First there was Scarlet and her Shaymin, and now Quayle had a Deoxys? Just how strong were these trainers? Well, it was a tournament of champions, after all. They'd all triumphed, the one out of over a thousand trainers who'd vied for that enormous cash prize. Still... how many more competitors had such powerful Pokemon at their beck and call? Maybe she really was in over her head... Rose closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and exhaled. This wasn't the time to get cold feet. She ran over what little information she had about Deoxys in her mind.

"Miss Bersalk?"

She knew it could change its shape at will, its DNA constantly updating, allowing it to switch from offensive to defensive in the blink of an eye. She was pretty sure it was only a Psychic type, regardless of the form it took, so Gardevoir's Shadow Ball would be sure to do some good damage, right? ...Right? But Scarlet said Nye told her that Absol was Quayle's ace, not Deoxys. If Quayle had the mythical Pokemon Deoxys at his disposal, and he still considered Absol his ace... what did that say about his Absol? Perhaps more importantly, how could she have underestimated Quayle this much?

Safiri rolled her eyes, glancing at her watch. This was not supposed to take this long. "Miss Bersalk, your decision, please."

Absol, Deoxys, Octillery. Absol, Deoxys, Octillery. Moonblast, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt. Easy. ...Right? "Gardevoir," Rose replied. "Sorry, ma'am. Just had to take a minute and strategize."

"Of course," was Safiri's perfectly rehearsed cheerful reply, complete with a smile she'd also rehearsed to be absolutely perfect. "You can see the trainer platform straight ahead there. When you hear your name, please exit this room and go there. Don't dawdle. Ruby and Esmeralda will take things from there. Do you understand?"

Rose nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

Safiri smiled and left, and she prayed that her meeting with Quayle would be brief. When she made it to other side of the arena and went into the room where Quayle was meant to be waiting, she was more than mildly annoyed to find Quayle walking in from the other direction at the same time she did.

"You were supposed to be here by now," Safiri scolded.

"Tell someone who cares," Quayle shot back. "Is it ten yet? No. So am I really late? No. I'm leading with Absol. I don't care what Pokemon she has. Now let me be." Glaceon's fur bristled. She audibly growled at him, making no attempt to hide her disdain for the young man and his rudeness. It was these kind of trainers that Safiri loathed. The ones that thought they were above everyone else. And the one thing she hated more than that was being forced to cater to them, to smile and nod and let Glaceon be the outlet for her emotions when it would otherwise be inappropriate. It was usually enough to get normal trainers back on the straight and narrow, referring to her as ma'am and stammering out apologies for fear of being ripped apart by Glaceon, but Quayle was not a normal trainer. "And take that mutt with you," he added, turning swiftly so that his cape billowed gently in the air.

Quayle, in this situation, was terribly lucky. He would never appreciate the gravity of the situation he was in, for Safiri's seemingly endless beauty and poise was surpassed only by her skill as a trainer. Quayle was skilled in battle, but Safiri was his better by an order of magnitude; to say she could beat him in a battle would be grossly underestimating her and her Pokemon. Such as it was, all Safiri could do was put on that perfected smile, say thank you, and leave before Glaceon tore him a new one, orders be damned.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" Ruby's smooth voice boomed over the entire area. "Welcome to the first annual Pokemon League Invitational, hosted by Diamant Industries! My name is Ruby Erthgrand, and I'll be bringing you this tournament as it unfolds, live from the Kanto Pokemon League at Indigo Plateau! Whether you're here in the stands, watching at home, or listening on the radio, we're glad you could join us today!" From the announcers' booth, centered high behind the battlefield, she couldn't actually hear the roar of the crowd, but she didn't have to. The hype surrounding this tournament was unreal. Even the few preliminary tournaments she announced for were standing room only. Where Safiri's area of expertise was numbers and business, Ruby's strength was working the crowd. She never failed to get an audience's blood pumping, using her words to build hype and make even the most boring battles seem fiery hot. Mr. Diamant had brought her on as something of a foil to Safiri, hoping she would brighten up the company and help with PR, and it helped. Safiri reported consistently higher ratings when compared to matches before she'd arrived.

"If you folks will direct your eyes to center field, you'll find our referee for this event, the one, the only, the stunning Esmeralda Rayvenflight!"

The drone cameras focused on Esmeralda as she waved with both hands to uproarious cheers. She was wearing skin tight black shorts with trim the same color as her hair. Her top, nothing more than a wide strap black and green sports bra, did absolutely nothing to contain her modesty, her breasts threatening to spill out of it at any moment. Though she dealt with the business side of things when she needed to, just like Ruby did, her main job was to be eye candy, and Mr. Diamant made no bones about that fact when she was brought onto the company. He wanted her to be exotic, mysterious, and sexy, so he gave her a new name befitting that image. He knew that, if nothing else, some people would watch the tournament, come to the tournament, just for a chance to see her. And he was right: as soon as she'd officiated her first tournament, she became an instant celebrity. Her social media accounts amassed millions of followers. Merchandise bearing her likeness sold like hotcakes. The clothes she wore flew off shelves. Demand was through the roof, forcing Diamant to increase production just to keep up. It was a move that turned out to be most profitable: as interest in Esmeralda went up, so did the success of the tournaments. And as that went up, so did his company's stock.

Together, Mr. Diamant's three Jewels of Tajna were poised to turn his company around, and he couldn't be happier for it.

"Are you all ready to get this tournament underway?!" Ruby asked, to which thousands upon thousands of cheers were the reply. Differently colored flags were sold, each with a face of a different champion that was fighting that day, that fans waved vigorously to show their support. Quayle's were black, Rose's were pink, Taikyu's were white, and Thresher's were blue. All four colors were fighting for dominance in the crowd, though if you asked Esmeralda, it looked like pink was starting to pull ahead. She sighed, her massive chest heaving as she did so. No surprise there.

Ruby continued doing her job. "Let's not keep you waiting any longer! Coming to the west platform is a Pokemon Ranger from Johto! She's tough as nails and champion of the Lilycove City tournament! Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Rose Bersalk!"

Hearing her name, Rose stepped out and into the bright sun, to thunderous applause. Rose had never seen such a crowd. So many people. The Lilycove Contest Hall couldn't hold even a fraction of this many people. She could see a sea of pink flags waving, and it renewed her confidence to see so many people there who believed in her. She approached the platform and waved, causing the applause to swell to new heights.

"And coming to the east platform is a man who needs little introduction! He's a scientist who's come all the way from Sinnoh to crush the competition and make his fiancee proud! He's also your Jubilife City tournament champion! Give it up for the "Master of Darkness," Quayle Valentine!"

Quayle sauntered onto the stage, hands extended as if to funnel in the roar of the crowd as his sustenance. The breeze from being outside let his cape move in the wind without his assistance, and he smiled. He always loved the way it made him look. Rose was stunned into silence when she heard the audience cheer for Quayle. Black flags, waved mostly by young girls who were enamored by his confidence and dark, edgy demeanor, were seemingly everywhere. She thought her mind had been playing tricks on her, but she could have sworn she could only see about half the pink flags she did earlier. This wasn't true, of course - she'd had just as many fans as she always did, though some players were fans of both combatants - but she was being psyched out by the crowd's cheering.

Quayle approached the platform and did something he rarely ever did - took his hood off.

Reaching inside his hoodie, he released his long, violet hair from its confines, using his hands to separate it and allow it to blow in the wind. This made his fans cheer even louder - he really did have hair girls would kill for. He grinned, full of malicious intent. The crowd was on his side, his love was watching, and the stage was set. It was time to crush the first bug.

Esmeralda took a moment to explain the rules to the crowd, her silky voice easily heard via microphone. After both Quayle and Rose agreed that they understood, she directed fans' attention to a monitor that displayed a large wheel with six wedges, with five of the wedges having different symbols on them. This was the battlefield wheel that would decide the terrain for the fight. It was "spun," and a digital arrow went around and around the wheel, coming to rest on the wedge with a drop of water. "The water field has been chosen!"

The crowd got impossibly loud at this point as the main stage floor opened up from the middle, revealing a large pool of water. Four large platforms emerged from the water, and Esmeralda sighed. A good number of fans didn't really care about the terrain. They just wanted to see her get wet.

"Raise safety shields!"

Circling the battle arena were a dozen or so high-level Mr. Mime. Each threw up an invisible wall stretching sixty feet high; it would serve as a containment zone for the battle, preventing the Pokemon from escaping easily, or preventing stray attacks from demolishing the crowd, or even the trainers, who sat at ground zero. The wall was also invisible unless you applied pressure on it, meaning the fans' view of the battle would be completely unobstructed. Esmeralda, though she was right there overseeing the battle, was also behind this shield, so she wouldn't get splashed by any water that came up. She knew that, but hey. Hype was hype, right?

With the battlers in place and the terrain set, it was finally time for the moment 50,000 fans were waiting for. "Trainers, release your Pokemon!"

"Gardevoir, you're up!"

"Come, Spirit! Rend mine enemies!"

The two Pokemon were down in a flash, each standing on one of the platforms. So he's leading with Absol, Rose thought. That means he wants to end this match quickly. Gardevoir can float, so she doesn't really need those platforms... but Absol definitely does! She issued a warning: "Be careful, Gardevoir, he's strong!"

Quayle responded immediately intent on proving just that. He clutched the jewel at his chest tightly. "Lord of darkness, hear my plea! Grant me the strength needed to destroy my foes!" He thrust his other arm outward, extending his fingers toward his Pokemon. "By the powers of time, space, the moon, and the everlasting night, I call upon the power of Mega Evolution! My soul demands blood, and your Pokemon shall pay the price!"

Rose cursed herself for not acting sooner. If he pulled this off, she'd be in trouble. "Use Moonblast! Quick!"

Absol howled and started to glow, slowly being enveloped in a bright light. Gardevoir quickly gathered some energy and fired it off. It wasn't as strong as a fully powered Moonblast, but psychic attacks would do literally nothing, and she didn't need to maim Absol with it. She just needed to stop the evolution. Gardevoir launched the blast, but Absol leaped into the sky at the last second. Gardevoir fired another shot, but it was too late: with another howl, the evolution was complete; white wings burst forth and blew the weak attack back, which Gardevoir barely managed to avoid by teleporting out of the way. She tried following Absol's movements as she flew around, but had to stop to shield her eyes when Absol flew in line with the sun.

Now it was Quayle's turn to go on the offensive. "O brilliant Spirit, Mega Absol, harbinger of doom, let little Gardevoir's blood spill! Night Slash!"

Absol flew down, the scythe on her head glowing as violet as Quayle's hair, fangs bared. Gardevoir teleported to another platform, but the speed at which Absol pivoted off the ground and lunged towards her surprised even Rose. Gardevoir teleported away again, rapid firing weak Thunderbolts, trying anything to get her footing, but Absol's aerial prowess combined with her Magic Bounce ability allowed her to dodge them all, leaving Gardevoir scrambling, desperate to avoid Absol's attack.

This isn't working, thought Rose. He wants to take the fight to the air? Let's take the fight to the air. Rose held a Poke Ball outstretched. "Gardevoir, return!"

"What a show, folks! Quayle's Mega Absol had Rose's Gardevoir on the run! Who knows how much longer she could have held before disaster struck?" Ruby smiled at her play on words. The crowd, for its part, ate it up. The battle had hardly started, and they were already on the edge of their seats! They cheered even louder, desperate and anxious for what the next part of the battle had in store for them.

Rose selected her second Pokemon. "Talonflame, you're up!" She tossed the Poke Ball into the sky, and Talonflame burst with a shrill cry. This was more like it. Talonflame wouldn't need to look into the sun to find Absol, and he could move just as well in the sky, if not better. Rose decided to find out just how well Absol's flight prowess was. "Use Flame Charge!" Talonflame cloaked his body in fire as Absol zoomed in for another Night Slash. The two collided in midair, scratching, pecking, and slashing at each other as they fought for dominance. Talonflame finally won out, zooming outward and upwards. Rose noticed Talonflame was breathing a little heavily, but he still had plenty of fight left in him. There was nowhere for him to land to heal up; Absol wouldn't let him get anywhere near the ground, in any case. No, this battle was in the sky, and it was going to stay there.

But while Rose was busy assessing the situation, Quayle pushed his advantage. "Spirit! Let Talonflame hear the tune of death! Perish Song, now!!!"

Absol flew backwards, putting distance between her and Talonflame, and began howling. Black and crimson waves issued from her mouth, covering the entire arena. Perish Song was one of those attacks that was rarely used because of how dangerous it was; any Pokemon who heard the song suffered no ill effects until the song ended. At that time, their nerves would seize up, fainting them immediately. If they weren't healed quickly, they would go into cardiac arrest and die. Is Quayle nuts?! I should have him arrested! Damn him, she thought, slamming a fist on the platform. Ruby saw her do it and, of course, commented on it. Rose shook her head, trying to drive out both Ruby's commentary and the noise of the crowd. Think, Rose. I need to switch, but Gardevoir isn't good here, and Lucario probably wouldn't fare much better. What good's a type advantage if you can't hit your opponent? No, I have to faint him now. That's my only chance! "Talonflame, use Brave Bird!"

Talonflame screeched, cloaking himself in a bright blue aura, and zoomed through the air towards Absol. Absol was not expecting Talonflame to approach her so quickly and could not escape in time; with a scream, Talonflame crashed into Absol, dragging her through the air and crashing hard into the invisible wall with a deafening bang. The impact was so hard that the Mr. Mime holding the wall briefly lost control of it, leaving others to pick up the slack and reinforce the wall while Mr. Mime got its bearings back. Talonflame backed off as Absol fell to the earth, and Rose saw her opening. "Great job, Talonflame, use Roost!"

Talonflame landed just as Absol came crashing into the water. After she still didn't move, Esmeralda called the battle in Talonflame's favor. The crowd went nuts as Quayle called Absol back, and now Rose could see the sea of pink flags that were there to support her. She grinned, waving to the crowd, causing them to cheer even harder, chanting "Talonflame!"

Quayle wasn't happy. He'd forgotten to take the speed increase from Flame Charge into account, and it cost him. What to do... He considered the terrain. Squirt could take advantage of it, easily. He could let Squirt take a Brave Bird. It would hurt, but Talonflame would definitely faint - if the Perish Song didn't get him first. This was acceptable to him. "Come, Squirt! Rend mine enemies!"

No sooner did Octillery hit the ground did Quayle give the command. He would not be caught off guard again. "O Squirt, Terror of the Deep! Drown Talonflame in a vortex of watery death! Hydro Pump!"

Rose sprang into action. "Use Aerial Ace to knock him into the wall, then Brave Bird!" Talonflame made a beeline for Octillery, intent on smacking Octillery before he could launch his attack. What Talonflame didn't notice, however, was a whirlpool forming in the water directly in front of Octillery. Suddenly, a gigantic column of water shot up from the pool, making the crowd gasp, then cheer. Talonflame could not fully evade it in time; it clipped the bird's wing, sending it tumbling into the water. Alarm bells rang in Rose's head. Fire Pokemon. In the water. Perish count dropping. It was time to abort. Right now. "Talonflame, return!" Octillery leaped into the water, intent on ending the bird's life, but Rose was able to recall her Pokemon with seconds to spare. That was close... She breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that at least the effect of Perish Song would be erased next time she brought Talonflame back in. But he'd already taken a lot of damage, so she'd need to find time to Roost. Against Deoxys? Not happening, she reasoned. She'd try to get one good hit in before Talonflame went down.

The more pressing question: Who to switch to? That Hydro Pump was massive. Gardevoir was still mostly fresh. She might be a little winded from running, but she hadn't actually taken any damage. Lucario was definitely fresh. She considered Deoxys. Lucario's Steel typing meant that he wasn't strictly weak to Deoxys' Psychic-type attacks, but they still hurt like hell. That meant that her best hope of winning this battle rested on Gardevoir. Better leave her to rest as long as she could; she'd need every bit of it. "Lucario, you're up!"

Lucario came out to a fresh roar from the crowd. He focused hard on Octillery, intent on claiming a victory. He looked back at Rose, awaiting her command. Quayle once again beat her to the punch, not willing to let up for even a second. "Squirt! Unleash your Signal Beam! Let him not know friend from foe!"

Rose panicked. "Dodge it! Leap to another platform and use Aura Sphere!"

Lucario nodded, charging a ball of energy as Octillery fired his beam. Lucario leaped out of the way, but Octillery kept firing, unwilling to let his prey escape. This dance continued for several seconds - Octillery shooting his attack off, and Lucario leaping between the unoccupied platforms to get a footing and a few fractions of a second of precious charging time. Eventually the attack was done to Lucario's liking, and he leaped straight up into the air, over another Signal Beam, and tossed the ball. It collided with Octillery dead on, knocking the Pokemon into the water.

"Squirt! Turn the water as black as our souls! Octazooka, as much as you can!"

Octillery quickly came to his senses and swam around with impressive speed, shooting ink endlessly and leaving Lucario to simply stand on the platform and watch him do it. Eventually, every inch of the water had been stained a sickly black, making it impossible to see anything below the surface and rendering the cameras down there obsolete.

"Now, use Hyper Beam! Leap from the depths and deliver swift justice!"

There was no response from underneath the pool. Lucario looked around, trying to find some clue about where Octillery was. He was surrounded on every side by water, and the water was sloshing around too much to gauge Octillery's distance based on that. "You got him, Lucario?" Rose asked, to which Lucario nodded. "I trust your judgment. Do what you need to."

And what Lucario needed to do was focus. He closed his eyes and concentrated, extending his senses; almost instantly, in his mind's eye, he could see Octillery at the bottom of the pool, behind him, preparing to strike. As Octillery surged to the surface and leaped, Lucario opened his eyes, gave a mighty roar, and leaped with a powerful uppercut, connecting cleanly with Octillery and sending him flying. He crashed into the wall and slumped over, defeated.

"Octillery is no longer able to battle!" Esmeralda announced, directing attention to Lucario. "Lucario is the winner!"

The hype was off the charts. Quayle had already lost two Pokemon, and Rose still had all three of hers! The audience could barely contain themselves. This battle was already fantastic, but just imagine if Quayle could mount a comeback! After all, this was a tournament of champions! Surely Quayle wasn't about to get blown out without claiming a single of Rose's Pokemon, right?

Quayle was livid. This was now the second time he'd barely missed out on fainting Rose's Pokemon. Her Pokemon were weak now, making Shifter's job easy. He scoffed. Even if they were at full health, Shifter would destroy them. It was time for payback. "Come, Shifter! Rend mine enemies!"

And there Deoxys stood, on the inky, wet platform. By now, Quayle was running on auto-pilot. He needed blood, and by god, he would have it. "End that Pokemon's life! Tear him asunder, make him beg for the sweet release of death! PSYCHO BOOST!!!"

Deoxys shifted into Attack Forme and teleported away. Lucario panicked, looking for where Deoxys could have gone. He closed his eyes and progged the pool again, but it was empty. Where did Deoxys go?

Rose noticed Lucario's predicament about two seconds too late. "Lucario, he's above you! Look up!"

But Deoxys had finished the attack and hurled the energy ball down at an astonishing speed. It smashed into Lucario, blowing the platform into pieces, more than strong enough to faint Lucario in a single hit. The force sent his unconscious body flying, smashing into the wall with a sickly thud. Only the invisible wall kept him from sailing further.

And the crowd went insane. Ruby went right to work, channeling that hype and building it up even greater. "Wow, folks! Quayle's Deoxys just took out Rose's Lucario with one attack! That's the power of a mythical Pokemon, ladies and gentlemen! What strength! What speed! What defense! What normal! Quayle just proved to everyone why he is deserving to stand on this stage, and that he has by no means lost this battle! What can Rose do with Gardevoir and a wounded Talonflame? Is this the beginning of the end?!"

Rose had just asked herself the same thing. She could bring Gardevoir out to take him on, but if Deoxys got past her, it was all over. Better to try to get in a few hits with Talonflame, she decided as she released the damaged bird, but Quayle was not about to give her the chance. Now that he'd scored his first kill, he was intent on racking up the body count - especially since he knew Talonflame was weak. "Yes, Shifter! Feast! Kill! Let no one escape! PSYCHO BOOST!!!"

Not wanting another repeat of what happened to Lucario, Rose did her best "Talonflame, stop him! Use Brave Bird, and give it everything you've got!"

To Talonflame's credit, he did give it everything he had. If he'd been healthy, or if this were another universe, perhaps his attack would have been successful. As it was, Deoxys launched the ball a second before Talonflame hit. It exploded on impact, sending Talonflame once again into the water. The crowd cheered at the sight of Talonflame's unmoving form floating in the black liquid. This game was going down to the wire.

"Talonflame is unable to battle! Deoxys wins!"

"YES!" Quayle shouted, pumping his fist into the air. This is what he lived for - the power he felt from every kill was intoxicating. In the heat of battle, nothing else mattered - just crushing foe after foe until none remained, and he stood alone at the top. Rose recalled her bird after congratulating it on a job well done. She tried coming up with a battle plan. She knew that Quayle would go on the offensive the second that Gardevoir hit the ground. He'd been doing it all game long - no sense in him stopping now. Shadow Ball was likely to do big damage, but would it be enough? She had no idea what Deoxys's Defense Forme could do. If it was as sturdy as its Attack Forme was powerful, there was no way she'd be able to break him. She could try to wear it out of energy, but Deoxys didn't look too worse for wear. Plus, it was a mythical Pokemon. Surely they had increased stamina or something, didn't they?

She searched her memories for anything she could remember about Deoxys. Attacks, abilities, anything, but came up with nothing. All she knew was its type - Psychic. That counted for something, didn't it? Gardevoir was a Psychic type, which meant their attacks wouldn't do much, but Gardevoir was also a Fairy type. She had two reliable avenues of attack, whereas Deoxys only had the one. Does that mean Moonblast would be a better choice than Shadow Ball? Rose wasn't sure. She found herself smiling as Gardevoir entered the field. Rose had to admit that, win or lose, she'd severely underestimated Quayle as a trainer. The guy was about as sociable as a crocodile, but it was clear he had strong Pokemon and he knew what he was doing. She wouldn't have guessed in a million years that someone like Quayle would be in command of a mythical Pokemon, and she made a mental note to talk to him after the battle and see if he'd be willing to let her meet Deoxys and ask questions about it.

Rose then noticed something strange - Quayle hadn't made a move yet. Was he charging up for some ultimate attack? Rose wasn't going to sit around and wonder why. If he wanted to squander his chance to attack, she was going to let him, but she was still going to play it safe. "Gardevoir, use Wish! Then, use Moonblast!"

Gardevoir clutched her hands tightly in prayer, half expecting Deoxys to come zooming forward and attack... but it didn't. When the prayer was done, she started charging up a Moonblast. She knew that Deoxys was not going to sit there much longer, so she concentrated harder, summoning as much energy as she could. With a cry, she fired, throwing the large pink orb with as much psychic force as she would muster.

And now, Quayle reacted. She'd done exactly what he hoped she would. "Take the attack, Shifter! Let your sorrow, your pain be your weapon! Use Mirror Coat!"

Oh, shit.

Deoxys shifted into Defense Forme and used its thick, heavy tendrils to catch - actually catch - Gardevoir's Moonblast. Gardevoir herself went wide-eyed in fear as she saw her attack double in size. It was hurled at her with lightning speed, slamming into her hard enough to mark up the platform and carry her through the water and into the wall, and Quayle was on her in an instant. "Grab that Gardevoir, Shifter! Make her rue the day she dared to challenge your power!"

With a hum of acknowledgement, Deoxys shifted into Speed Forme and, in a flash, it was across the field, where it shifted into Attack Forme and snaked one of its tendrils around Gardevoir's neck. It used another one to bind Gardevoir's arms to her sides, then scooped her up and plunged her into the water. Shocked to her senses, and too low on energy to simply teleport away, Gardevoir kicked and thrashed in the water as hard as her little body would allow, covering Deoxys and sending black, inky water everywhere. Rose was in full-on panic mode, screaming at Deoxys to let her Pokemon go. Was Quayle really going to stoop this low in order to win? He wouldn't actually kill Gardevoir, would he? Would Esmeralda really let her Pokemon die? She watched helplessly as Gardevoir flailed, Deoxys tightening its grip. She couldn't let this go on any longer. She was just about to concede when - Oh my god! She gasped and slammed her hand on the underwater microphone switch as hard as she possibly could.

"Gardevoir, your wish is coming! The water! Use Thunderbolt on yourself!"

Quayle panicked. "What?! No! Shifter, let go!"

Too late. Gardevoir used the last of her strength to wrack her own body with Thunderbolt, zapping the both of them and doing huge damage while Deoxys was still in Attack Forme. Just then, a bright light came down and enveloped Gardevoir's body, filling her with a burst of energy, more than enough to allow her to teleport onto a platform.

Rose wailed at the sight, thankful her idea worked. She was on the verge of tears at the thought of losing her Pokemon, and they started to flow as she delivered the next command. "Moonblast! Moonblast! Moonblast! Get him, Gardevoir!"

And get him she did. She threw a volley of Moonblasts with one hand while charging up a larger one with another. Deoxys shifted into Defense Forme to take the smaller attacks, but it left Deoxys unable to mount a counterattack. With an angry, guttural scream, Gardevoir teleported in front of Deoxys's face and fired, dropping a giant Moonblast onto its head. Deoxys stumbled off the platform and fell into the water. Esmeralda was about to declare Deoxys defeated when Gardevoir raised both of her hands to the sky, summoning dark clouds. Breathing heavily, she levitated herself into the air and called down one, singular, massive Thunderbolt, aiming it directly at Deoxys. Whatever strength had been slowly leaving Deoxys was abruptly depleted as her attack connected, sending a fresh fountain of water spraying everywhere. Gardevoir fell to her knees and sobbed as Rose did the same, knowing this nightmare of a battle was finally over.

Esmeralda finally made it official. "Deoxys is no longer able to battle! The winner is Gardevoir, which means the match goes to Rose Bersalk!"

The instant the barrier was down, Rose was off the platform and on the field, dashing over to Gardevoir and flinging her arms around Gardevoir so hard she nearly sent the two of them tumbling into the inky water. She said something that no one could hear, then kissed Gardevoir on the cheek. She continued holding her Pokemon even as Ruby was relaying the shocking finale to everyone who hadn't been around to witness it.

Ruby herself had to admit that even she wasn't expecting a fight of this intensity. For the championship battle, maybe, but for match one of round one? She grinned a wide grin. If this is the kind of battle that she could expect from here on out, she was definitely glad she had a front row seat.

Last edited:
Very awesome chapter, PMJ! :D You can really write a battle well. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the matches turn out! ^^

RIP Odin Dark

oh my that was beautiful.

• Scarlet gets better and better - I love how she's written and how she's exactly as I intended her to be. She better get some.
  • Quayle is certainly something. Perfect portrayal of edgelord teenager with some cool Pokémon.
  • That battle had some great intensity, everything felt perfect. I could visualize every attack and the pace of the action perfectly.
  • And what a fitting finale!
I'm loving this, PMJ, and can't wait for Chapter 2!
Based on how it's written so far, I don't think Rose is interested in that way, but who knows how it'll turn out.
That's definitely one way of seeing his character. Candice is probably going to be pissed that he tried to kill Gardevoir, though.
I second this. Awesome job writing, PMJ!
Yeah, Quayle did deserve what he got. I'm just happy I'm not first out!
I, i mean quayle, lost.... nooooooo, he was perfect. I wonder how the story will continue with him out

Yeah, as much as I wanted Rose to win, Quayle has more potential for character development imo. But at least he won't get to make his Red Chains from the tournament's cash prize!

Why do you guys think Quayle is leaving the story forever just because he lost?

Why do you guys think Quayle is leaving the story forever just because he lost?

I don't; he still has loose ends to tie up with Candice, Nye to annoy, evil plans to pursue, and he's forced to stick around.

I kinda expect him to leave, mostly because he lost his first battle, and got angry. I do think he will make appearances. I wonder if Rose will meet Deoxys though?

I kinda expect him to leave, mostly because he lost his first battle, and got angry. I do think he will make appearances. I wonder if Rose will meet Deoxys though?

I dunno, my guess is Rose won't want anything to do with Quayle or Deoxys after that battle.

She did say after the battle she wanted to meet Quayle and his Deoxys. You should have added Quayle's reaction to losing in the end PMJ.

Awesome Chapter @PMJ! I hope to see what happens in the next round of the tournament, Taikyu VS Thresher! I also want to eat those Pollen Puff pancakes...

I must say that I absolutely adore the way you wrote Jethro. You really brought him to life, and that makes me extremely happy. Also, the way you wove in the details I mentioned was brilliant! You really captured the dynamic between Jethro and Prince beautifully. I also am quite fond of his mannerisms. A nice, fresh take.

Moving away from my character, that battle was fantastic! I'm really glad that there was some fun back and forth. The usage of the water, despite neither team having a huge advantage (with the exception of Squirt, but he folded like a cheap suit), was quite interesting. Especially that finisher, hoo boy.

a cranky Groudon getting an enema
This was a beautiful line.

Holy cow, that had me short of breath for the whole battle! o.o It was SO intense. When it mentioned the possibility of Quayle making an extreme comeback, I thought that was going to happen, but then NOPE! Gardevoir pulled it off!
The way you wrote the commands and the Trainers' reactions, it was so...LOGICAL! And yet still intense and unexpected!
You, @PMJ , have some incredible skills.
I can't WAIT for the next chapter!!

Chapter 2 highlights:

- it's almost as long as chapter one
- more characters are fleshed out
- I did this in four days, jesus.
- Taikyu and Thresher have their match
- it's friggin dope

I like this story. I'd like to finish it. With that said, I need to take a break from this. It's been a week and a half and this story is already clocking in at over 30,000 words. During National Novel Writing Month, your goal is 50,000 words in 30 days. If I keep up this pace, by the end of March this story will be more than double that. And while I wouldn't mind if that happened, I don't want to jam it all in a month. So I'm going to take at least a week off in terms of writing. I have a couple ideas planned for Chapter 3, so it'll give me something to come back to, but... man, this has been crazy. Thanks to all of you who submitted characters and allowed me to bring them to life. Even if I can't accommodate everyone's every desire, I'd like to think I've succeeded in at least getting mostly there and giving y'all something enjoyable to read.

As always, I appreciate any feedback you have about how badly I am bastardizing your characters (especially Eldan, forgive me Jabberwock).

Word count: 11,367

Chapter 2: Secrets​

"I'm sorry, Gardevoir."

Rose wiped a few stray tears from her eyes. After Esmeralda had gently reminded her that they needed to prepare the arena for the next match, Rose wordlessly recalled her Gardevoir and marched straight to her room, ignoring everyone who'd tried to stop her. She didn't care that her team needed healing, she didn't care that Scarlet was hysterical and screaming for her, and she sure as shit didn't want to see him, or his Deoxys. She had barely gotten the door closed behind her when new tears came rushing down her face. She released Gardevoir, still soaked and worn, and flung herself into her, gripping Gardevoir tight. Being squeezed so tightly actually hurt a little, but Gardevoir remained silent, allowing Rose to cry all her tears out. There they stayed for several minutes, until Rose's sobs had been reduced to nothing, and the two of them remained that way until Rose finally broke the silence by apologizing.

"I'm so, so sorry. I wasn't careful. I almost made a huge mistake," Rose said, extracting herself from her Pokemon and surveying the damage that had been done. Gardevoir's dress was singed and blackened in some spots from zapping herself, and she was still positively dripping from being dunked in the pool.

Gardevoir looked at her, puzzled. "Mistake? Oop!" She quickly brought her hands to her mouth as Rose went wide-eyed with panic, looking back to the door, fully expecting all the other competitors to be staring slack-jawed at the talking Gardevoir. Seeing no one, she breathed a sigh of relief, and turned back to her Pokemon.

Gardevoir's ability to communicate using the human language wasn't something that Rose shared with just anyone. While learning the human language was a talent all Pokemon had, it took a lot of self-discipline and control, and it was extremely difficult to learn; because of this, most Pokemon didn't bother and, with only a handful of documented cases worldwide, neither did most trainers. Most Psychic Pokemon, once they were high enough in level, could speak telepathically with their trainers if their bond was strong enough, but that was more like the human brain automatically translating the Pokemon's thoughts into words it understood. Gardevoir's ability to speak - actually speak - was exceedingly rare, and the last thing Rose wanted was to alert the world to it.

Well, maybe second to last. Rose took Gardevoir's slim hands into her own and gave them a gentle squeeze. "Yes. The kiss. I shouldn't have done that, but I was just so happy that you got out of that battle in one piece, and alive, and safe..."

(I'm happy too...Rose,) Gardevoir told her. Calling Rose by her given name as opposed to something more formal was still something she was getting used to, but the praise warmed her heart all the same. (And I understand. I was scared, too. I'll just have to train more so I can make you proud of me.)

"I am plenty proud of you already," Rose said, sending a thought to Gardevoir. Gardevoir closed her eyes for a moment, extending her senses out, then opened her eyes and nodded. Rose smiled, wrapped her arms around Gardevoir's slender frame and pulled her in for a long, tender kiss, one Rose wouldn't dare do on live television.

(You know, if you keep showing me all this attention, Lucario is going to get jealous,) Gardevoir scolded.

"Oh, let him. He'll understand. I'll make it up to him later." She sighed contentedly, her mood improved. "Okay. Let's get you guys fixed up, shall we?"

To say lunchtime was awkward would be an understatement. Where breakfast was a lively affair, full of excitement for the tasty food and exciting battles to be had, at lunch, everyone was behaving as if someone had died. Hell, someone almost had. And no one knew that better than Quayle, who'd been ostracized by all the other competitors, save for a brief moment when a Chara-controlled Frisk went to compliment him on his sick cape and wicked Pokemon. Only Ruby and Esmeralda, wishing to remain impartial, behaved normally around him. Safiri was not present, for she was overseeing the battlefield cleanup and replacement for the second match, but she shed zero tears when Quayle lost. Serves the insolent little twit right, she'd said.

They all saw what he did. Of course they did. Did he expect them not to watch his match? Never mind the other competitors, what about the tens of thousands of people who saw him do it live, to say nothing of the possible millions of people who either watched it on TV or heard Ruby relay it over the radio?

What about Candice?

Quayle tried not to think about that as he resumed eating.

Kiria, Windra, and Nye (who made a big deal in front of Quayle about asking Windra and Kiria if she could sit with them) ate at the table across from where Quayle sat, sitting specifically so Nye's back was to him. Thresher, Taikyu and Alex ate at another table, although Alex looked so disinterested that he thought he was going to die of boredom. Eldan, who was sitting alone nearby, wished he would. At least then he wouldn't be blocking his view of Esmeralda, who was happily chatting with Ruby and Frisk. Lenny and Tsomu sat and traded cooking tips, each drawing on their unique life experiences to help improve the culinary skills of the other. Rose, unsurprisingly, hadn't shown up, and Scarlet had taken it upon herself to bring the poor girl some food. Cody and Jethro decided to skip lunch and get in some training, but Kyro couldn't resist the call of hunger and gave in. He barged into the room, ecstatic after coming off of another win (against Cody this time), but paused when he saw how gloomy everyone was; even he seemed to be able to sense the tension in the air. Confused, he made his way over to the food table as Thresher came up for more.

"What's wrong with everyone, Mr. Thresher?" the boy asked.

"Everyone is raging at Quayle," Thresher explained. "He hurt Rose's Pokemon pretty badly."

Kyro nodded. He remembered seeing Gardevoir nearly drowning. "Why did Mr. Quayle tell his Pokemon to do that?"

"That," Thresher said, leaning down to speak at the boy's level, "is the $100 million question, innit?" He patted the boy's head, got his food, and sat back down with the others. "Sorry, lads," Thresher said. "Just getting more of this delicious food. You were saying, Taikyu?"

"Nothing else, I hope," Alex complained. "I do not remember asking you to sit with me. Either of you," he added, glaring at Thresher.

"Ya should be glad we did decide and sit with ya. Or did ya like sittin' alone at breakfast?" Thresher countered.

"This salad is delicious," Taikyu stated, taking a large bite to emphasize this. He closed his eyes as he chewed, making a point to make an "mmmmmmm" sound so Alex could hear it. "Such flavors. You submitted this dish to the cooking staff, yes?" he asked, already knowing the answer.

"If you must know, yes, I did," Alex said with a smug grin. "The Slowpoke tails are imported from Kalos. Even though you can find plenty of Slowpoke in Kanto, the Kalos region's climate has an effect on the way the tails taste." He took a bite of his own salad. "The vinaigrette is made with both juiced and crushed Sitrus Berries, also imported - from Hoenn - as Kanto is not very well suited for berry growth. The chefs here are nowhere near as skilled as my own personal chefs back home, so if you think this salad is good, then you should visit Father's restaurant in Kalos, though I sincerely doubt the likes of you would be let anywhere near there." He directed that last statement at the shirtless Taikyu with more than a hint of disgust in his voice. He noticed his plate, now empty, and saw an opportunity to escape. "I think I will enjoy some more. If you will please excuse me." He stood up, gathered his plate, pushed his chair in, and left.

Thresher smiled, leaning in towards Taikyu. "Hook, line, and sinker. Real bawbag, ain't he?"

Taikyu nodded slightly as he ate. He didn't particularly approve of Thresher's term - if his memory wasn't failing him and it indeed meant what he thought it did - but there was no denying that, to some degree, he was right. "It wasn't all a ruse. The salad really is delicious. Have you tried it? The vinaigrette adds just the right amount of flavor, and the greens--"

"Okay, okay, I get yer point," Thresher said with a laugh, taking a bite of his own lunch, steamed crab with vegetables. "I don't each much salad back home. More of a fish man, myself, but I will admit it does look quite tasty. You looking forward to our match, old man?"

"Yes, of course. I hope you won't go easy on me just because I'm old," Taikyu said, smiling.

"Ha! No chance o'that, to be sure. In fact, it's because you're old that you'll be gettin' nothin' less than our all. Some of the others might think you've got no chance, but you ask me? I say they're forgettin' what we had ta do to get here. We all did it, even that horse's arse, Alex, hard as it is to believe that," Thresher said with a chuckle. "We're pretty simple folk where I come from. Simple and respectful. We were all taught to show our elders the respect they're due, and Taikyu, my friend, you are definitely worthy of respect. Around Pacifidlog, folks your age aren't as serious about battlin', or nearly as traveled. You've got a look in yer eyes that tells me you've seen some shit over the years."

That was an understatement. "A fair bit," Taikyu replied evenly. "So, you show respect to your elders, do you? Does this mean you'll be forfeiting the match to me? My youngest Pokemon is nearly old enough to be your father."

His opponent laughed. "Ah, good try, but no. I'll be beating you fair and square, old man, but you can rest assured I'll do my best to give you a battle worth writin' home about."

Taikyu smiled, but said nothing. "What did you think about the battle this morning?"

Thresher sat back in his chair, sipped his drink. "Aye, that was some battle! I'm not sayin' I agree with Quayle's fightin' style... or the cape... but it sure kept me on the edge of my seat! And Rose, the poor lass. She must have been scared to death. Was quick thinkin' that likely saved her Pokemon's life and gave her the win. She'll be a tough opponent, for sure."

Taikyu nodded, partaking in his own beverage. "Yes, definitely." A hint of a smile appeared on his lips. "I'll be sure to let you know how she was after our battle."

At this, Thresher laughed openly. "Is that right? Well, you'd best hope you can fight as well as you can brag, old man, because we'll hold nothing back!"

Taikyu raised his glass. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

And they toasted.

Meanwhile, alone at a corner table, Quayle brooded. He had come so close to winning. He would have sworn that Rose was mere seconds away from throwing the match. That damn wish. He growled to himself, gripping his fork harder in his hand. And just like that, his dream of winning was shattered. Not only was it embarrassing to lose, but he was the first competitor out! It made his blood boil. And to make matters worse, everyone was ignoring him. It wasn't his fault he'd lost! Even Lady Nye had literally turned her back on him. He noticed the younger of the two nomads constantly stealing glances at him, then whispering something back at Lady Nye. Quayle could tell from the look on her face that these were not the same looks he'd gotten from giggly young girls too shy to talk to him. No, she was mad at him, but the frequency at which she looked at him was starting to get on his nerves. Finally, when he caught her looking, he asked, simply, "What?"

"Shut up, you big jerk," Windra spat at him.

"What the hell's your problem? I've done nothing to you. I don't even know you," Quayle spat back.

"Windra, wait," Kiria said, already getting up from her chair to stop Windra from doing the exact thing she said she'd do if Quayle gave her any lip.

But it was too late. Before Kiria or Nye could stop her, Windra practically flew out of her chair, sending it crashing loudly to the floor, marched over to where Quayle was sat, drew her fist back, and drove it square into the middle of Quayle's face. He stumbled backwards in his seat, falling to the ground. Thresher got up from his seat and hurried over, intent on defusing the situation. "That was for Gardevoir, you creep!" Nye and Kiria restrained her, each taking an arm. Windra shook Nye off her fairly easily, but Kiria held firm. "Let me go! I'm fine. I'm fine," she repeated, calmer this time. Nye relented, but Kiria didn't let her go.

Windra was about to walk to her seat when Quayle scrambled to his feet. What the hell was wrong with these women?? It's not like he'd actually killed the stupid Gardevoir. A couple hours in the Pokemon Center and she'd be as good as new. What was the big deal? "You bitch," he growled, feeling to confirm that yes, she'd bloodied his nose. Windra smirked when she saw the damage she'd caused. "Stupid bitch!" he raised his hand and moved to strike her, but Thresher grabbed his raised arm hard and yanked him away.

"Are ye daft, lad?!" Thresher yelled, gripping Quayle's inside shoulder with another strong arm, preventing him from moving anywhere. "Never, ever raise yer fist to a lady." He walked away from the crowd, forcing Quayle to step with him. "Yer a man, right? Start actin' like it," Thresher warned, his voice low, "or I'll be givin' you somethin' worth worryin' about. Get me?" He emphasized these last two words by shaking him. Quayle nodded immediately. "Good." Thresher turned back to the crowd that had formed and wrapped his arm around Quayle. "It's okay, everyone. Quayle here just had a lapse in judgment and was about to apologize to dear Windra here. Weren't you, buddy?" Quayle muttered something no one could hear. "Sorry, mate, I don't think she heard you. Say again?"

"Sorry," Quayle said, his voice laced with venom, glaring daggers at Windra that told her and everyone else that he was anything but. No one, not even Thresher, had expected Quayle to be sincere about his apology, but the fact that he was being made to go through the motions of it combined with how humiliating it was for him to be made to do it was plenty. Thresher wanted to bring him down a peg, and he'd succeeded in bringing him down several.

"Great! That's a good lad. See? All a big misunderstanding, right?" Thresher asked, giving Quayle a slap on the back that may or may not have been unnecessarily hard. The second Thresher released his death grip on Quayle, he was pushing his way past Eldan and Lenny, walking out as fast as his legs would take him.

Safiri looked at her watch. It was nearly time to start the next match. She briskly made her way to the main arena to make sure that the next field had been preset. While it appeared to be randomly selected to the crowd, in truth, the battlefield was decided long before the match actually happened. This saved loads of time, as it took nearly twenty minutes to safely rotate one arena out and another one in. So while the selection of the field really was random, it wasn't as spontaneous as League officials would have you believe.

Finding everything in order there, she returned to her office and sent a page to both Taikyu and Thresher requesting that they please report to the stadium. While she had nothing against either man, and didn't think they would be late, the incident with Quayle had thrown her off a little, and she didn't want any more surprises. Better safe than sorry. She made a note on her clipboard to include Quayle's insubordination in her daily report to Mr. Diamant. Though he had lost his match, she wanted to stress that he was definitely not the type of trainer that they were looking for - just in case.

"We don't want people like him involved in this project, do we?" she asked Glaceon as she left her office; Glaceon growled to show her displeasure. The two made their way to the west side of the stadium to meet Taikyu and were out in less than a minute. When she experienced a similar result with Thresher, Safiri smiled widely, sighing contentedly. Now that was more like it. Both men were respectful, addressing her as ma'am or miss, didn't dawdle in their decision, and they had both been waiting patiently for her when she arrived. It made her especially glad that Quayle had lost his match; any further interactions with him would be kept at a minimum. This put an extra perk in her step as she headed back to the main arena to report the battlers' lead Pokemon and take her seat for the next battle.

Fanfare played to signal that the next battle was about to start, and it didn't take much effort on Ruby's part to bring the crowd's cheers to new heights. They'd been spoiled by a phenomenal first battle, and they were hungry for more. "It's time for the second match! Let's get right into it and bring out our competitors! Approaching the east platform is a man old enough to be your grandpa! Don't let his age fool you, though; he breezed through the Hau'oli City qualifying tournament! He may be the oldest trainer ever to grace this stage, but will he also be the best? We're about to find out if he's got what it takes to make it to round two! Give it up for Taikyu!"

Taikyu walked calmly to his platform, addressing the crowd to build hype, the same way Ruby asked both him and Thresher to do. His Pokemon were as ready as they'd ever be, and so was he. All four of them were prepared to fight with everything they had, and it would be a fine learning experience, regardless of the outcome. Taikyu took a deep breath, drinking in the warm afternoon air, then let it out, letting all his fears escape with it.

It was time to go to work.

"And on his way to the west platform is a humble fisherman from Pacifidlog Town, on a journey to find Mirage Island! We don't know where it is, but we do know that his journey took him all the way to the top of the Olivine City qualifying tournament! Will this handsome hunk have what it takes to topple Taikyu? We're only seconds away from finding out! Please put your hands together for Thresher Fessco!"

If Quayle thought for a moment that he had a lock on ladies who wanted a piece of him, he was proved wrong the second Thresher came into view. The shrill screams of young ladies briefly overpowered the general roar of the crowd; an ocean of dark blue flags made it clear that he was the favorite.

Thresher was not as confident. His team was custom made for the sea, and if they weren't lucky enough to draw the water field, there'd be a lot of improvisation going on. He tried not to let the look of disappointment come across his face as Esmeralda revealed that the normal field had been chosen. This was definitely the worst battlefield for his team. At least with the fire field, he could use water to create a smoke cover. Corsola could shatter some of the ice on the ice field and use it as a weapon. Even the grass field would have been preferable to literally nothing. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide - just his Pokemon and Taikyu's Pokemon. It would be a true test of strength.

The safety shields went up, and Esmeralda - who was just as excited to get things started - said the magic words. "Trainers, release your Pokemon!"

"Rikan, go!"

"Prickles, I choose you!"

"And from Thresher, we've got a Ferrothorn! Looks like Taikyu's gone with Lycanroc! It's true that the Midnight Form is better at close combat fighting than its Midday Form, but those barbs on Ferrothorn sure look sharp! How is Taikyu going to - wait, what's this? Taikyu has recalled Lycanroc, folks!" Ruby was surprised to see Taikyu recall Lycanroc immediately, and so was the crowd.

Taikyu knew that this would be a horrible matchup. Though he probably could power through Prickles' defenses with sheer strength alone, those barbs would be murder on Rikan's thirty-year-old hands. It would be unlikely he'd be in any shape to continue fighting, even if he were victorious, and Taikyu didn't want to take that sort of risk this early on. He'd have to take advantage of Prickles's bad speed to win. "Hansha, go!"

The giant Pokemon, standing more than a foot taller than Taikyu, lifted its massive claws and roared in an attempt to assert dominance. If the cameras had been on Thresher instead of Taikyu's Necrozma at that point, they would have seen a look of real worry on his face. He remembered the way Rose's team had been destroyed by Shifter, and this...thing looked to be at least twice as strong. The way the light refracted inside its body gave it almost a rainbowlike appearance. "All right, Prickles, let's show Taikyu you're not afraid of a wee 'mon like that! Stealth Rock, go!"

"Hansha! Charge Beam!"

Ferrothorn's body glowed white briefly before firing several beams around the field. The beams solidified into large stone pillars; some planted themselves in the ground, and others stayed floating in midair. Necrozma took advantage of this opening by firing a focused beam of electricity into Ferrothorn. Thresher felt more than a little concern when he saw that Ferrothorn actually flinched from being struck with the move. That's some power, he thought. I've got to close this gap. "Prickles, use Power Whip! Don't let Hansha escape!"

Ferrothorn threw out two of his tendrils far, latching onto two of the levitating stones, then pulled himself forward like a slingshot, sending it flying through the air. Taikyu was taken off guard by this, not expecting the creative use of Stealth Rock. "Hurry, out of the way!"

Though his movement ability was hindered by all the floating rocks, he was able to dodge as Ferrothorn landed with a bang. Ferrothorn stayed on the offensive, attempting another Power Whip, and this time, Necrozma blocked it with one of its giant claws, only to be surprised by Ferrothorn's barbed tendril becoming stuck inside it. "Aye, that's it, Prickles!" Thresher encouraged his Pokemon. "You've hooked a big one! Now use Rock Climb!"

Ferrothorn leaped, pulling himself in towards Necrozma with impressive speed, and smashed Necrozma hard in the face. Ferrothorn dug his tendril deeper into Necrozma's arm, and used another one to repeatedly bash his opponent. Taikyu smiled. "Autotomize! Cut yourself loose!" Necrozma reached over to its right shoulder and ripped its own arm clean off, letting it fall to the ground with a thud. Necrozma made a mad dash for the other side of the field as more of it dropped off as if it were shedding a layer of skin - first its shoulder spikes, then the spikes on its head, then finally the huge piece on its one remaining hand fell to the ground. Both Ruby and the crowd were going crazy - surely this battle couldn't get any more intense. Taikyu with his next command, was about to prove them wrong. He didn't fault Thresher for not knowing about Hansha. Not many people did. Fewer still knew of his most powerful attack, and Taikyu was confident that Thresher would be kicking himself when he'd realized just how much he helped Taikyu by placing those rocks around the field. "Hansha! Prismatic Laser!"

Necrozma gathered energy in both its hands (despite one of them being detached, much to Ferrothorn's horror) and fired, bouncing it off the rocks Thresher had placed. With each ricochet, the beams grew larger, tearing through Ferrothorn and doing massive amounts of damage. Only Ferrothorn's impressive bulk and resistance to Psychic-type attacks allowed him to remain standing after such a hit. Thresher, for his part, was visibly terrified. He'd never seen an attack like that before, and it brought back memories of Shifter using Psycho Boost to annihilate Rose's team. He didn't want to risk having Hansha roll him over in a similar method, so Thresher did what he figured was the most likely way to eliminate Hansha - he'd hit the reset button. The great equalizer. He'd be down a Pokemon, but so would Taikyu, and he'd rather deal with the non-legendary ones any day of the week. "Prickles, use Explosion! Can't let our teammates take that prism attack!"

Taikyu could only watch helplessly as Ferrothorn used the last of his strength to overload his own body. All the Mr. Mime outside the arena made sure to reinforce their barriers - this was going to be a big one. At last, Ferrothorn exploded, reducing the rocks to rubble and sending Necrozma crashing lifelessly into the wall. The crowd went wild as Esmeralda declared both Pokemon defeated, and explained that Thresher would be the first to send out his Pokemon since he forced the double KO.

"That took guts," Taikyu commented.

"Aye. I didn't want to do it, but I couldn't very well let you run me down with one Pokemon, could I?"

"No, I suppose not. Prickles was very strong. I was impressed by his speed and tenacity."

"We're just gettin' started, old man! Predator, I choose you!"

Thresher's Huntail landed on the ground, and the crowd became a little quieter as some people started to question what Thresher was up to. Taikyu considered Thresher's reasons for using Predator over Corsola. There was the type matchup, for one. Rikan would effortlessly dismantle the poor thing; he didn't need to be a Fighting-type for that. Without water, Predator would be at a slight disadvantage, but it was something Rikan and his in-your-face battle style could take clear advantage of. Taikyu decided to trust in this strategy as he released his Pokemon. "Rikan, go!"

No sooner had Lycanroc hit the field did Thresher give his command. "Let's pick up the pace! Shell Smash, Predator!!"

Taikyu realized immediately what Thresher had planned to do. Fortunately, he had a backup strategy planned. "Rikan! As Predator comes out, use Scary Face!"

Huntail started to glow in a bright white light that seemed to solidify around his body; bright red cracks began to appear in it. Lycanroc dashed forward, reaching Huntail just as he shattered the covering, and made a scary face, surprising Huntail and causing him to leap backwards. "Now, Rikan! Rock Tomb!"

Lycanroc raised both his hands in the air, forming a large silvery ball, and tossed it at Huntail, landing a direct hit and sending him backwards. Lycanroc threw out three more of these balls - one behind and to either side of Huntail - limiting Huntail's movement. Thresher remained unfazed, however; in fact, in Rikan's attack, he saw a possible opening, but would Taikyu go for it? "Predator! Use Aqua Tail to send that attack back!"

From within the stone confines, Huntail flipped his water-enhanced tail like a bat, sending the large stone in front of him. flying towards Lycanroc. The attack came with impressive speed, and there was no way Lycanroc was going to be able to dodge it in time. Lycanroc instinctively thrust his paw out as the rock connected, shattering it and sending shards of it flying everywhere, and Thresher was overjoyed. "Waterfall!" he commanded, and Huntail dashed forward, his path clear. He connected with Lycanroc with a powerful headbutt, sending him crashing into the wall, defeated.

"Lycanroc is unable to battle!" Esmeralda declared. "Huntail is the winner!"

"Great job, Predator! One more and we're on our way to round two!"

"Rikan, return... that was quite impressive, Predator! And you too, Thresher! I see I have underestimated you, but I will not make that mistake again. Now you face Seinaru! Go! Aether Comet!"

"Wait, hold on, Aether what?"

Seinaru, Taikyu's Drampa, burst from his Poke Ball with a deep roar. As he landed, a large orange ball formed from his mouth, one Thresher recognized as similar to Draco Meteor. Instead of shooting it skyward, however, Drampa held it and whipped up a huge blizzard. Drampa shot the ball forward as the blizzard struck it, sending smaller shards of the ice-infused energy raining onto Huntail and all over the battlefield. The remaining energy dissipated into the air, reacting with the snow and creating small auroras throughout the arena. Esmeralda, mesmerized by the sight, nearly forgot to officially declare Huntail defeated before she came to her senses and did so.

Thresher reluctantly recalled his Pokemon. "Christ above, Taikyu, that was a hell of an attack!"

Taikyu grinned. "Are you impressed? I don't use it very often. You should consider yourself lucky that you got to see it."

"That so? Well, you'd better hope Seinaru's ready, because I've saved the best for last! Coral, I choose you!"

Thresher's Corsola emerged, and she rocked back and forth happily. Seinaru towered over the much smaller Pokemon, and he extended his lengthy neck and roared. Corsola frowned and "roared" back, unwilling to be intimidated by the larger Pokemon's size. "That's my girl! Show Seinaru what you can do, startin' with an Earth Power!"

Corsola focused and a large orange crack appeared in the ground. It sped towards Drampa's position, giving Taikyu little time to react. "Fly up!"

"Oh come on, yer shittin' me, he flies?!"

Drampa lifted himelf into the air as the Earth Power launched, missing Drampa completely. "Excellent, Seinaru! Use Thunderbolt!"

Thresher was quick to counter. "Coral, use Protect to block it, then Blizzard! Knock Seinaru out of the sky!" Drampa's attack came raining down - much weaker than Thresher had expected it to be - and it fizzled harmlessly on Corsola's shield. Corsola then looked to the sky and shouted, summoning her own blizzard. It struck Drampa hard, forcing him to land and regroup. "Great job, Coral!"

Taikyu was not deterred. "Energy Ball, Seinaru! Decisive attack!" Drampa summoned the energy from all over the field, forming a greenish-blue ball in front of his mouth. It fired this ball at a wide-eyed Corsola, who leaped behind a rock to evade it. "Chase Coral down, Seinaru! Energy Ball, keep up the pressure!"

Immediately, Drampa was in the air again, firing Energy Ball after Energy Ball at Corsola, who had to alternate between Protect and rolling around the rocks to evade. It was clear Corsola was getting tired, though, and the attack would hit eventually, and it would be lights out... or would it?

Wait, would it? Thresher thought back to the Thunderbolt attack. It looked weak, but Seinaru hadn't even taken any damage. Why was it so weak? It couldn't have been the Aether Comet, could it? Maybe it was - the attack did look an awful lot like Draco Meteor. Maybe they had similar side effects. He hated to take a page out of Quayle's playbook, but Seinaru was relentless in his attacks, and it was only a matter of time before one connected. "Coral!" Thresher shouted. "I've got an idea! Get yourself hit by one of those Energy Balls..."

Just as Thresher said that, Drampa shot another attack. Corsola stood perfectly still and the Energy Ball hit her directly, sending her tumbling and crashing into the wall. Thresher's look of worry turned to joy as he saw Corsola, badly damaged and on her last legs, get up off the ground! "Oh, Coral, you sweet thing! I knew you could do it! Now Mirror Coat it right back!"

Corsola screamed as all the energy from the attack surrounded her body, growing to massive proportions, and then shot outward in a wave, crashing into Drampa, making him roar in pain. Taikyu slammed his hands on the podium. "Quick, Seinaru, Roost!" But the moment the words left his lips, Drampa fell to the ground, all his energy gone.

"Drampa is unable to battle! The winner is Corsola, which means the match goes to Thresher Fessco!"

Both players withdrew their Pokemon and met in the center of the stage. The two men shook hands, both smiling, neither having any hard feelings for the battle result. It was a welcome change, Esmeralda thought, from the sobbing, wet mess that had capped this morning's battle.

When Thresher and Taikyu came back from their battle, they found the other competitors - minus Quayle - waiting for them at the entrance to the dormitory wing. They applauded the two on a fantastic battle. Lenny gave Taikyu a firm handshake as Scarlet gave Thresher a big hug. Even Rose was there, congratulating Thresher on his win and expressing an interest in learning more about Hansha from Taikyu. And even though Taikyu hadn't won his battle, they'd all come to respect him as a competitor a little more, and any fear that had been present on his arrival was completely gone now.

Since they had a few hours before dinner, the gang went their separate ways. Taikyu decided to indulge Rose in her curiosity about Hansha as best he could. He offered his arm to the young lady, which she happily accepted, and the two headed towards the Pokemon Center to get his Pokemon healed. Thresher, not wanting to stall in getting his team healthy, decided to follow them.

Kyro convinced Frisk to practice with him, and the two headed for the practice wing, with Cody in tow as referee. Lenny retired to his room to relax and watch some TV, and Jethro did the same after Lenny made his plans known. Eldan and Alex bickered with each other as they made their way to the cafeteria; Eldan was trying to convince Alex that since Taikyu had barely lost the battle, he shouldn't have to pay up the $10,000 they'd bet on the fight. Tsomu went to the kitchen to help with dinner preparation - though the cook had recovered, everyone had loved his cooking (and appreciated his help) so much that they allowed him and Bae to help with all the meals, if he chose to.

Quayle, emerging from his room at long last, approached the four girls who were left in the hallway. Windra glared death at him. "What do you want?" The others turned to see Quayle standing before them, hood off and hair out.

"To apologize. Really," Quayle said when Windra laughed at him. "Thresher was right. My fiancee... well, she's probably my ex-fiancee now... I would never dream of hitting her. I'm ashamed of myself for that. Can you forgive me?"

"No!" Windra shouted, incredulous. "Don't be ridiculous! You almost--" she lowered her voice. "You almost killed Rose's Gardevoir, and called me a bitch besides! And you think you can just go sulk for an hour and expect everything to be okay?"

"No, I suppose not," Quayle said, a little dejected. He looked up. "Nye. I need to talk to you. Privately. Will you join me in my room?"

Nye looked at him questioningly. He seemed serious enough, even going so far as to drop the title. Like Windra, she was pissed as hell at him, but unlike Windra, she was at least slightly willing to hear him out. She made a show of sighing, hoping it would be enough to get the backpackers off her back.

It wasn't. Windra interjected immediately. "Don't tell me you're actually thinking of talking to this creep! Think of what he did!"

"I know what he did," Nye said coolly. "And thank you, Windra, but I'm capable of making my own choices." God, she hated it when people tried to make decisions for her. She'd had enough of it as a child, and now that she was on her own, she'd be damned if she'd let anyone think they could get away with doing it now. Nye looked back at Quayle and sized him up. Being his friend was definitely taking its toll on her. She certainly wouldn't lose any social status by publicly denouncing him; if anything, she made him look better. But Nye could see something in his eyes that the others couldn't - a hint of the old Quayle. The one who'd rather die than raise his hand in anger to anyone, man or woman. The one who'd shared a tent with her during a camping trip when wild Pokemon made off with hers. The one who'd convinced Candice to fall in love with a man whose ambition and drive to be successful was unparalleled. Nye saw a hint of that seemingly long-dead person standing before her, so she'd indulge him. What was the worst that could happen? "Sure, Quayle."

The three remaining ladies could only stare in wonder as Nye and Quayle walked down the hallway to his room and swiped them in. The lock clicked behind them, and then there was silence.

"Those two are so a thing," Scarlet commented.

"Um, ew," Windra said, crossing her arms. "But, then again, maybe it's possible, what with how easily she went with him..."

"Come on, don't start rumors," Kiria scolded.

"Pfft. Yes, Mom," Windra shot back. "Seriously, though, what does she see in him?" She grabbed Scarlet's waist and pulled her in close to her. Windra looked into Scarlet's brown eyes with her own of light green, and said, "Oh, Quayle! You've been such a naughty boy! Say my name, you dirty, dirty beast, and kiss me!"

Scarlet took one look into those beautiful, perfect green eyes, those eyes she could get lost in for days, closed her eyes, and complied. "Rose..."

No sooner had the word left her lips did both Windra and Scarlet freeze. Scarlet's eyes shot open immediately as she realized her mistake; she turned red as a beet and started to run away, but Windra grabbed her with a deceptively strong arm. "Whooooooooooooa, where do you think you're going? This is huge!"

No, Scarlet decided, this is the end of the world. Was she really in this deep? How could she make a blunder that huge? "Let me go! I have to go die!"

"Ohhhh no you don't, you need to spill! Come on, into my room, you too, Mom!" Windra unlocked the nearby door and ushered both ladies inside. She practically shoved Scarlet onto her bed, making sure the door was locked so she couldn't escape. "Now talk! You have a crush on Rose?"

"Shhh!" Scarlet said, her eyes darting around the room, expecting to find the walls were now made of mesh and everyone on either side of their room was now privy to this information. "...Yes."

"I told you she did!" Windra exclaimed triumphantly to Kiria.

"Just got lucky is all," Kiria said, sitting on the bed next to Rose. "Well, I think that's wonderful. You're a very pretty young lady. And how does Rose feel about this?"

"She doesn't know," Scarlet admitted. "I don't want to embarrass myself in front of her, just in case she isn't, y'know...into girls."

Kiria wrapped a strong, yet comforting arm around Scarlet, and she had a sudden urge to snuggle into the older woman's body. It was an urge that she barely avoided giving into. "Only she could tell you that. I don't think that she would stop being your friend if it turned out she didn't want to be with you romantically. Is she single?"

"I-I don't know," Scarlet stammered out. She hadn't even thought of that, and it embarrassed her.

"Well," Kiria began, "that's something else that only she can tell you. And who knows? Maybe she's thinking the same thing about you." She pulled Scarlet in for a hug. "I haven't talked to her much. Tell me about her."

Scarlet's eyes lit up. "She's beautiful. Her hair's kinda long, about the same length as yours," she said, gesturing at Windra. "Hers is kinda frizzy though, and it's a really pretty shade of red that I'm super jealous of. I'm a natural redhead too, but mine's more of a dingy brown and super ugly, so I just dyed it. She has these amazing eyes, oh my lord those eyes. Bright, shining green, like Esmeralda's, but a little more subdued. The way she smiles at me, the way her mouth curves up ever so slightly, it gives me goosebumps. And she's already a Rank 10 Ranger, which is the pretty much the best you can be. She's only seventeen and she co-founded a brand new Ranger chapter in Johto! She's done so much and she's only been a Ranger for about a year longer than me."

Kiria nodded knowingly. "That sounds pretty impressive. What else?"

What else? What else was there? Scarlet tried to remember the conversation she'd had yesterday. "Oh, she was born in Goldenrod City in Johto. That's where she opened the new chapter, too."

Kiria sighed, gave Scarlet a playful squeeze. "You know, you kinda remind me of one of my ex-boyfriends."

Windra pulled up a chair, turned it around, and leaned on its back. "Story time!"

Kiria looked at the clock. Yeah, she could spare some time. She left her arm around Scarlet as she talked. "His name was Merrick. He was kind, but kinda mousy, y'know, never really stood out, let alone wanted to. He'd come into my work every so often - I was a tour guide for the Olivine City Lighthouse at the time - and after a while it became clear that he was there to see me. He would show up for tours multiple times a week, sometimes even two or three times in one day. He was kinda cute, so I introduced myself to him after I'd finished a tour." She chuckled. "He wasn't expecting that. I asked him if he'd join me for a walk on the beach and a swim after my shift was over, and of course he accepted, but asked if he could take me to dinner first. I figured that was fine, so I let him.

"He took me to a real fancy place. Live music, candlelight, the works. He even bought me this beautiful black dress to wear just for our date. I learned he was a history buff, with a focus on Johto. He even told me some things about the lighthouse that I didn't even know, which I thought was quite impressive, considering he was only nineteen and it was literally my job to know things about the lighthouse. We never did actually swim, now that I think of it, which is a shame, because I had this really cute swimsuit that he would have gone nuts over."

"So what happened?" Scarlet asked, still wondering how this story related to her.

"He asked me out at the end of our date. I was seventeen and broke, so I said yes. We dated for about a month, and we a lot of fun. He treated me like a queen...told me I was beautiful every day...bought me anything I wanted...wasn't pushy when it came to intimacy...overall, just a real gentleman, you know? You should have seen the way his face lit up whenever he saw me. He was over the moon just to be seen with me on his arm."

"That sounds wonderful," Scarlet said dreamily. She could see herself treating Rose the same way.

"If it was so good, why'd you guys break up?" Windra asked.

Kiria removed her arm from around Scarlet, forcing Scarlet to face her. "Scarlet, do you know what Rose's favorite color is?"

"Huh? Um..." Scarlet searched her brain for the answer. Did that come up? She furrowed her brow. "I don't know."

"That's okay. What about her biggest fear?"

"I don't know," Scarlet said simply. "We never talked about anything like that."

"Merrick and I didn't, either," Kiria explained. "He was wealthy, and kind, and to this day, he's the most attentive and considerate lover I've ever had. But he seemed more interested in being seen with me than really getting to know me. I still remember his favorite color is green, and that he hates Water Pokemon. He told me he loved me after three weeks, and it was then that I started to really consider our relationship, and what it was. How could he love me if he couldn't even tell me what I'm passionate about? How could he love me if he'd never once seen me cry, or expressed an interest in traveling together?

"It started feeling like he was more in love with my looks than my soul, and I started feeling cheap and used. I saw things in a way I hadn't when we first started dating. Remember the dress I told you that he bought me for our first date? It had a plunging neckline, which showed off the girls quite nicely. I didn't think anything of it at first, because it was a gift and I didn't want to seem ungrateful, but I hated it. All the clothes he bought me: tight-fitting dresses and lingerie." She shook her head ruefully. "A week later, I returned his dresses, broke up with him, quit my job, packed my stuff, and hopped on a boat to Kanto." A smirk. "I kept the lingerie, though. It was super cute, and I liked the way I looked in it."

An image came unbidden into Scarlet's mind, and she tried her hardest to shoo it away before she telegraphed any more of her feelings to her fellow competitors.

"Do you understand now, Scarlet?" Kiria asked. Scarlet looked like she was going to say something, but hesitated, so Kiria went on. "What did you tell me when I asked you to tell me about Rose? What was the first thing out of your mouth? She's beautiful. You didn't tell me about Rose, you told me what she looks like. I already know what she looks like, honey. I wanted you to tell me about her. I know you've only just met a day ago, so it's not fair to expect you to know her inside and out. What I'm trying to say is... try. Learn what makes her tick. What makes her happy, what makes her sad, her birthday, her most cherished memory...little things like that. And if it turns out that she doesn't want a relationship with you, you'll at least have made an amazing friend."

Scarlet took in the older woman's words. Learn more about Rose? Of course she planned on learning more about her. Right? She paused to consider that up until this point, she'd expressed little to no interest in learning about her. She'd asked once, when she and Rose met, but Scarlet had derailed that train almost immediately, and the subject went right back to her.

Wow. Am I really that selfish?

Windra broke the silence that followed Kiria's story. She stood up and stretched her arms to the sky, briefly exposing her stomach to the other girls. "Well, Mom, that was a great story."

Kiria threw her a stern look. "I'm thirty-one. Hardly old enough to be your mom."

Windra paid her no mind. "Look at that icy glare! Brrr, where's the thermostat, it's freezing in here!"

"Are you seeing anyone right now, Kiria?" Scarlet asked with genuine curiosity.

"I haven't seriously dated anyone since Merrick," Kiria told her. "The whole time we were together, I didn't do any traveling, and that's another reason I left him. Relationships are nice, but seeing the world and meeting new people and Pokemon is what I'm really passionate about, far more than any man. There's no caging this bird," she finished with a smile.

"So you're straight," Scarlet said, sounding a little more reluctant than she'd meant to.

Kiria saw the look of panic come across her face and pulled Scarlet in for another hug. "Yeah. But if I were of that persuasion, and I were a decade younger, I'd totally be interested."

"N-no, that's not what I meant! Ugh. You just seemed so knowledgeable about this sort of thing, I was hoping that I could come to you for advice or something, you know?" She looked over at Windra, who waggled her eyebrows suggestively. "Let me guess, you're straight too?"

Windra held out her hand, and Scarlet took it. Windra pulled Scarlet to her feet and spun her around, pushing her against a wall. She took the hand that held Scarlet's and pinned it above her head, then slowly dragged her other hand down Scarlet's side, finally allowing it to rest on her hip.

Scarlet's mind was in overdrive. A simple "no" would have sufficed, but this was okay too, right? No, of course it wasn't, Kiria was right there and wow Windra's stronger than she looks and what is she doing now?

Windra pushed herself up against the young girl, bringing her lips dangerously close to Scarlet's before she moved towards the back of her head. "Nope," she whispered into Scarlet's ear. "Not. One. Bit."

And in the next second, Windra backed off and sat in her chair, all smiles, acting as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened and leaving a bright red Scarlet breathing heavily against the wall.

"Come on, Windra, don't tease her," Kiria scolded. "She's trying to get with Rose, not you."

"I know! I think it's adorable. So I'll tell you what," she said, turning her chair towards Scarlet. "I'll try and get some info out of her, and--"

"No!" Scarlet yelled. "You'd probably end up jumping her in the shower or something. "I'll... I'll do this my way," she said, catching her breath. "But thanks, you two. You've been very helpful. And please, please," she emphasized, looking at Windra, "Keep this a secret, okay? I don't want the others knowing."

Kiria nodded. "I will. I promise."

Windra mimed buttoning her lips. "Mer lrps rr srld!"

At dinner, all the competitors (save Quayle, who hadn't returned with Nye) congratulated both Rose and Thresher on their victories, and the conversation eventually drifted to the next day's battles. Tsomu would be battling Kiria, and Eldan - much to his delight - would be facing Nye. Frisk, Lenny, and Esmeralda all sat at a table with their meals, talking about the battle they'd witnessed earlier.

"Esmeralda, your referee outfit is so pretty," Frisk complimented. She clamped down on Chara's intent to make a rude comment, but only barely. "What's it like officiating?"

"Can't imagine it's too hard," Lenny added. "You watch the battle, make sure they don't kill each other, then tell everyone once one of 'em goes down." He raised his arm the way Esmeralda had done during the matches. "Blahblahblah has been defeated! Blahblahblah wins! ...Like that?"

Esmeralda smiled. "Yes, that's a very simple way to describe what I do. In addition to all of that, as the referee, it's my job to keep the battle going at a reasonable pace at all times. If it looks like the game state has been stalled, I have the authority to request the offending player to make a different play. If they don't, they can be disqualified for unsportsmanlike conduct."

"Oh, wow," Frisk said, briefly imagining her in Esmeralda's outfit, telling a naughty trainer they'd been disqualified. They'll never get that big! Chara chimed in.

Shut up! "Do you like doing it, Esmeralda?"

Lenny snorted. Esmeralda paid him no mind. "Yes, of course. I feel like it's my calling, you know? Like I was made to do this."

Frisk nodded out of politeness but honestly had no idea what Esmeralda meant by a "calling." Something she was made to do? Maybe she was made to drag Chara along with her for the rest of her life. That didn't sound like much fun.

Later that night, Frisk sat in her bed, sketching herself in Esmeralda's outfit. She smiled as she imagined what she might look like older, and put her ideas to paper. I find you guilty of unsportsmanlike conduct! You are... disqualified! In Frisk's mind, she imagined Quayle was on the receiving end of her judgment, and the crowd cheered her for her ruling. You just didn't treat Pokemon that way. She looked over her work, and thought of what Chara had said about her chest. What did he know, anyway? He was just a dumb boy. And besides, she didn't even draw them that big. She erased them, drew them in a little smaller, then changed her mind and drew them the way she'd had in the first place.

She wondered what Esmeralda meant by officiating being her calling. She decided to get help from the most immediate source. "Hey Chara, what's a calling?"

I don't know, was all he said.

Frisk frowned. That wasn't the answer she was hoping for. She continued sketching, adding more details to her hair and face. "Esmeralda said it's something you were made to do, but that doesn't make sense."

If she already told you what it means, why are you asking me?

"Well, I don't know what it means for me," Frisk said, trying to fix some shading.

And you think I do? Geez, sis, just go ask someone else then!

Frisk paused. Someone else? It was late, but not too late. Who would be willing to help her at this hour? And suddenly: inspiration.

Taikyu was reading.

It was something that he learned to enjoy as a young man. It widened his vocabulary and kept his brain sharp. Over the decades, he'd amassed a large collection of several different genres, and he'd taken a few of his favorites with him to while away some free time.

Of course, now that I'm out of the tournament, I've got quite a bit more free time, don't I?

As he read, he could feel something dark approaching his room. It was her. Frisk. Or maybe it was whatever evil spirit tainted her, come to steal his soul? Whatever was outside, Taikyu heard it knock, and figured that it must have been Frisk. If there was a demon waiting to devour his immortal soul on the other side, Taikyu doubted it would be polite enough to knock first. He rose from his bed, walked to the door, and opened it. "Come in, quickly," he said, closing the door behind her as she did so.

"Hi, Taikyu," Frisk said immediately, craning her neck up to meet the giant man's gaze. "I'm sorry to bother you so late."

"Not at all. What brings you here?"

"I just wanted to talk. Sorry about your match. Stay determined, okay?"

"I do, every single day," Taikyu said with a smile, pulling out a chair. "Please, sit. Would you like a refreshment? I've just prepared some delicious Salveyo tea."

"Um, sure," Frisk said, not wanting to be rude. Taikyu simply smiled, gathering two cups and saucers, and placing them on the counter next to the small stove that every room had.

"Did you know that, aside from water, tea is the most widely consumed drink in the world?" He removed the kettle from the stove and slowly poured its contents into the two cups. Frisk watched with equal parts fear and wonder as she saw the steam rising up from the cups, not knowing quite what she was getting herself into. "It was invented over four hundred years ago, though historians aren't in agreement on who came up with it first." He returned the kettle to the stove and carefully handed Frisk a saucer. "Now, be careful, young lady, it's very hot."

Frisk stared into the murky green liquid. She thought she saw tiny flecks of something floating in it. People drank this?

Taikyu sat on his bed and sampled his brew. He frowned a little. "Hm. I might have added a little too much Salveyo weed... as I was saying, though the origins of tea are unclear, what we do know is that it originated in Kanto and was brought by merchants to Hoenn, who later shipped it all over the world." Taikyu took another sip of tea. "Yeah. Definitely too much. I'm sorry, you might find that a tad bitter. You should drink it before it gets cold."

"I'm sorry! You're right. Thank you for the drink," she said, bringing the cup to her lips, taking a small, tentative sip...

...and immediately wished she hadn't. Taikyu wasn't kidding when he said it was going to be bitter. She made a face at the taste, one that made Taikyu laugh. "You don't like it. Don't worry, you haven't offended me or anything," he said when she started to stammer out apologies. "It's an acquired taste, for sure. Took me almost a year before I could stand it."

Frisk delicately sat her saucer back on the counter, being careful not to spill any. "If it tastes so bad, why do you drink it?"

"If it truly tasted bad, I wouldn't have started drinking it," Taikyu said knowingly. "It's a muscle relaxant, first and foremost. In case you haven't seen, I'm an old man," he said with a wink, taking another sip of the bitter brew. "It also contains lots of vitamins that help keep you healthy. Some people will add sugar or honey to their tea to sweeten it, but doing so compromises some of the health benefits. I am admittedly guilty of having done this myself, but I have long since started drinking my tea the way it was intended to be drunk - free of additives."

Frisk said nothing, taking it all in. Taikyu had almost forgotten that the girl exuded evil. "Forgive me. I've been rambling. What can I do for you, Frisk?"

"What's a "calling", Taikyu? Esmeralda said that officiating was her calling, but I don't exactly understand what she meant by that."

Taikyu thought for a minute, and wondered if this could also be related to her evil aura. Frisk looked intently at him, awaiting his answer, and did not look even the slightest bit troubled. It was a far cry from yesterday, when she'd run from the cafeteria in tears. "A calling is when something deep inside you tells you about something that you should be doing."

"Oh! Like when I skip out on doing homework and a voice in my head tells me I should be doing that instead of drawing?"

"No, not exactly. Think of it as it relates to a job. When Esmeralda is out on the field of battle, there is a feeling of calmness and peace that comes over her. It tells her that being there is what she is meant to do in life, and that she should keep doing it."

"Oh. Sometimes I feel like that when I draw. Ever since Chara--" Frisk stopped abruptly as if caught in a lie.

"Who is Chara?" Taikyu asked.

"My little brother," Frisk said. "He died about a year ago."

This piqued Taikyu's interest. "I see," he said, thinking carefully. He had heard of the possibility of spirits, unable to move on, haunting the world of the living. If Frisk was really being haunted, it would explain why her aura felt like death incarnate. "I'm sorry for your loss. What were you saying?"

Frisk paused. Did she really want to divulge this information? His tea might have been awful, but Taikyu seemed like a genuinely nice guy, and she didn't want to risk that by revealing she was possessed by a spooky ghost boy who was intent on wreaking havoc on her whenever he felt like it. "It's not important. Say, Taikyu... what's your calling?"

It was an easy question, one he'd known the answer to for nearly thirty years. "Traveling the world, spreading the message of peace."

"Spreading peace is your job? I don't get it," Frisk admitted.

"In my prime, I was one of Ecruteak City's many sages. I and many others like me would travel all over Johto, sharing the story of Ecruteak's Brass Tower and the storm that brought it down. We offer people the chance to visit our temples and learn the legends, and perhaps offer a prayer that the legendary Pokemon might someday return one day to guide us into prosperity."

"That's it? You went around preaching a legend your entire life?"

Taikyu laughed. "No, not just that. All of us were accomplished sages. We earned money by dispelling spirits."

Now it was Frisk's turn to have her interest piqued. "Dispelled spirits?"

Taikyu knew that would get her attention. "Yes. A client would have us visit them, we'd do our thing and expel whatever spirit was troubling them, receive our payment, and be on our way."

Frisk fidgeted in her chair.

"Why do you ask, Frisk?"

Okay, now this was different. He made a living expelling spirits! Does this mean she could finally be freed from Chara? She decided that it was worth a shot. "My little brother, Chara... he lives inside me."

"What do you mean?" Taikyu asked, leaning forward. Now he was getting somewhere.

"I mean just that. Chara has been living inside me - as a ghost, spirit, whatever - ever since he died. He's got a crazy temper and sometimes he takes control of me, making me do or say terrible things. Oh! Oh, Taikyu, I'm so, so sorry about the other day. That was him that yelled at you. Please forgive me!"

Taikyu ignored her apology. He wanted more information about this spirit. "He controls you? Is he controlling you now? What kind of things does he say?"

"Um... sometimes, no, and I'd rather not repeat them," came Frisk's reply.

This was definitely different than what Taikyu was used to. He hadn't mentioned that his expertise lied in expelling Ghost Pokemon. He had no idea if his exorcist techniques could work on an actual spirit! It explained her aura, at least.

"Frisk, you said it was Chara who yelled at me yesterday. Does that mean he really can communicate with the living?"

"Yeah, and it's super annoying! Sometimes I'll be having a conversation and he'll just blurt out stupid things to make me sound like an idiot! Not that I need any help with that! Come on, Chara, stop that!"

Taikyu saw her eyes glow red as she said that last part. "My word... Frisk, would you allow me to speak with him?"

Frisk hesitated. "I... I don't know. I've never actually let him take control of me - he always does it on his own, usually when he gets really, really angry. He can communicate without controlling my body, as you've just heard. Chara? Hey, Chara?"

Ugh, what is it this time?

"Will you talk to Taikyu?"

Why should I?

"Because he asked you to. He might know a way to get us separated."

Hm...I don't know. Do I get to take you for a ride while I'm doing it?

"Do you promise to behave yourself?

Chara laughed. Nope.

Frisk crossed her arms. "Then no, you can't."

You know I don't really need your permission, right?

"You know you can't lie to me any more than I can lie to you, right? I know you won't just up and oh man, what a rush!"

Frisk stood up and stretched. She wiggled her fingers and toes, admiring them as she did so. "Getting these things back is always weird when you spend day after day shackled to someone's consciousness, you know?"

Taikyu saw her pupils, red like blood, as she spoke. "You're Chara."

"Got that right, Pops!" Frisk sat back down in the chair and propped her legs up on a nearby table. "Chara Skrif, in the flesh. Well, her flesh." She bunched her nightgown almost up to her underwear, giving Taikyu an eyeful of her legs. "Look at that. She's so pale."

"Why do you remain in the world of the living? Frisk said you died. Can you not pass on?"

Frisk shrugged, admiring her toes. "You got me, Gramps. I didn't ask for this. And before you ask, yes, I've tried," she said, pointing an accusatory finger at Taikyu. "I may be a disembodied spirit, but I'm not stupid. You think I like being a girl now? Pfft. Get real. Life is shit. I have no body of my own and I'm stuck with a sister who never wants to share hers, and doesn't want me around on top of it."

"Why did you tell me to piss off yesterday?"

"Because it was funny," Frisk replied. "You see, one of the side effects of being an immortal ghost is not having to give a shit about anything. So I mess with her when I get bored, which, as you might expect, happens a lot. Haven't gotten her to kill anyone yet, but it's only a matter of time, you know?" Frisk stood up and walked around the room.

"Why not just harm Frisk?"

"Tried that. Didn't go well. Remember the whole 'same consciousness' thing? That. I am her just as much as she is me. I feel what she feels, so if she kicks the bucket, I'll probably go with her. Or not. It's not like I stayed dead when Asriel died. Why should it be any different with Frisk?"

Taikyu didn't know if he was more shocked at having a conversation with a ghost, or that it had effortlessly hijacked Frisk's body and was using it as he pleased. He didn't like the implications that came with such a power, and vowed he would do everything he could to extract Chara from her and put his soul at peace. "What will you do once you've done that?" he asked, genuinely curious.

"Make her kill again. What else? I tell you, she's the easiest person in the world to freak out. I almost made her walk out in her underwear last night. She was bawling! It was great."

"What's great about making your sister cry? She loves you, doesn't she? She wants to see you happy."

"No she doesn't!" Frisk screamed. "Don't give me that. Frisk doesn't give a shit about me. Frisk doesn't care if I rot in her head forever, just as long as I only come out when it's convenient for her! Well, it's not happening, Grandpa. I may not be able to kill her, but I can still make her life a living hell! It's too easy, old man. Watch this." Frisk turned her back to Taikyu as she reached up her nightgown and slid her underwear off, then picked them up, holding them out for display. "Pikachu pattern. How predictable." Frisk took her underwear and stuck her head into it like a hat. "Okay. The stage is set! And a-one, and a-two, and a-damn you, Chara!!"

Immediately, Frisk tore her underwear off her head and threw them on the ground, throwing herself into Taikyu's arms in tears.

"He does this all the time! I can't take this anymore! He knows how much I hate it, and he still won't stop! Help me... please, help me..."

For the first time in many years, Taikyu was rendered completely speechless. He simply held her until she cried herself to sleep for the second time in as many nights, then carefully scooped her into his arms and delivered her to her own room.

He'd put in a call to his friends in Johto. No one deserved what Frisk was being put through. There had to be something that could be done.

There just had to be.

Last edited:
I still need @Jabberwock @Reshiwott @NotJim @NinjaPenguin @Little Cherrim @double o squirtle to PM me their leads. If you don't care just let me know and I'll have random roll you a lead. Here are the remaining matchups for the first round.

If you've already chosen your lead and wish to change for whatever reason, that's also acceptable.

Match 4: Eldan vs. Nye
Match 5: Scarlet vs. Frisk
Match 6: Lenny vs. Windra
Match 7: Jethro vs. Kyro
Match 8: Alex vs. Cody

Likes are nice but feedback is also nice :)

Some of you have told me privately about your thoughts about the chapter but I'd like to hear more from those of you whose ears I don't have regular access to. What do you guys think about the, uh, "story" so far? I might spend some time trying to get something resembling a plot going, but having multiple subplots going on at once isn't bad either, right?

Do you guys think that, now that most of these characters are established pretty well (right?), it's too late to ask for character input? I will take some liberties with your characters if I think it'd work well for the story (such as Kiria telling the story of her one meaningful relationship despite Athena writing that Kiria had never been in one), but I'm not about to say things like "well it'd be great if your character was the opposite gender" or "can we give them this Pokemon instead of this one" or "sure your character can sleep with all the females in the cast and Frisk twice."

Please post words to me.

So Rose's Gardevoir can talk! I wonder how that's going to come into play later on, or if Lucario can also speak.
And I'm taking back what I said last chapter. Rose may or may not be interested in Scarlet, but I do think she's lesbian.
Quayle being shunned and isolated doesn't surprise me, and props for turning his loss into some serious potential for character development! I'm really interested to see where you go with that.
Windra is probably going to drop the ball and accidentally let Scarlet's secret slip.
And as for Taikyu and Frisk, I'm really interested to see where that goes. I don't know if they'll be able to get rid of Chara, but I think they would at least make him good again.

All of the subplots are pretty good, you've done an amazing job in the writing! But something I've noticed is that some characters have somewhat fallen to the wayside. Such examples would include Lenny and Eldan.

All in all, it's been great so far and I can't wait to see more!

Likes are nice but feedback is also nice :)

Some of you have told me privately about your thoughts about the chapter but I'd like to hear more from those of you whose ears I don't have regular access to. What do you guys think about the, uh, "story" so far? I might spend some time trying to get something resembling a plot going, but having multiple subplots going on at once isn't bad either, right?

Do you guys think that, now that most of these characters are established pretty well (right?), it's too late to ask for character input? I will take some liberties with your characters if I think it'd work well for the story (such as Kiria telling the story of her one meaningful relationship despite Athena writing that Kiria had never been in one), but I'm not about to say things like "well it'd be great if your character was the opposite gender" or "can we give them this Pokemon instead of this one" or "sure your character can sleep with all the females in the cast and Frisk twice."

Please post words to me.

So Rose's Gardevoir can talk! I wonder how that's going to come into play later on, or if Lucario can also speak.
And I'm taking back what I said last chapter. Rose may or may not be interested in Scarlet, but I do think she's lesbian.
Quayle being shunned and isolated doesn't surprise me, and props for turning his loss into some serious potential for character development! I'm really interested to see where you go with that.
Windra is probably going to drop the ball and accidentally let Scarlet's secret slip.
And as for Taikyu and Frisk, I'm really interested to see where that goes. I don't know if they'll be able to get rid of Chara, but I think they would at least make him good again.

All of the subplots are pretty good, you've done an amazing job in the writing! But something I've noticed is that some characters have somewhat fallen to the wayside. Such examples would include Lenny and Eldan.

All in all, it's been great so far and I can't wait to see more!

I agree with everything Blakers said. We also don't know what happened between Nye and Quayle in his room, but I guess we'll learn in the next chapter.
I was also surprised about Scarlet, but it was a good surprise.
I also love the way you wrote Thresher @PMJ, how he literally made Quayle to apologize, the battle between him and Taikyu, and especially how he talks like a Pirate

Back